Hill-Murray vs. BSM 3/10 AA Championship

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who Wins?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:18 pm

Hill-Murray
33%
BSM
68%

Total votes: 40

hm88

Post by hm88 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:00 pm

Big Daddy wrote:C'mon Hill...I get it. You lost but you got to the big dance. Guentzel taking off his medal as he skated back to the group was completely disrespectful and no one coming forward to get the trophy.....really. I guess that's what you get when you put together a team of "superstars" who can't stand losing. EVERY kid who puts on skates at 2 years old dreams of just playing in this tournament. Enjoy the moment you got, embrace the experience, feel the loss but show the respect what you achieved deserves.
They allowed the honorary captain Duke Pieper to come forward to get the trophy. Duke made the HM varsity as a freshman to start the 09' season and just before his first varsity game, he was taken to the hospital. He had an emergency surgery as he had a brain tumor (i believe), his life was in question and he almost did not make it. He has had several surgeries since, and has been around the team for the past couple of years. He was an honorary captain this year, his senior year, and I thought it was a good moment to allow Duke to go get the trophy.

As for the Pioneers, this alum is extremely proud of you boys. No one really gave you a chance to win the first game of the tourney but you made it to the state title game. A couple of bounces go your way early in the game and it might have been a different game. Congrats to Benilde, they took advantage of their opportunities and deserved to win. Chin up boys, the alumni and entire Pioneer community are extremely proud of what you accomplished this year!

Orty

Post by Orty » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:02 pm

minnscout wrote:Orty

My kids are 6 and younger thanks. I think your 3rd shift warehouse job starts soon. It shouldn't be to cold tonight on the MTC, have fun!
My kids are 10 and younger thanks. What the heck is your point?

Paint the picture all you want. You'll get different opinions about who he is and who he isn't. Maybe you need to be a little bit more objective. I sure hope your not condoning his behavior.

Orty

minnscout

Post by minnscout » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:05 pm

What was wrong with his behavior? He was a marked man, Hill was trying to take his head off, if he scores 5 goals he should chirp.

Orty

Post by Orty » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:08 pm

minnscout wrote:What was wrong with his behavior? He was a marked man, Hill was trying to take his head off, if he scores 5 goals he should chirp.
Start from page 1 and work your way down. The rest of the message board will take care of you for that post. I'm done.

Orty

green4

Post by green4 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:09 pm

Sorry u either got cut or beat ny the Red Knights. Let the kids play and have fun. Benilde did nothing disrespectful and played the game the way it should be played with speed and skill. HM running around with their heads cut off trying to kill people doesn't work when you play a team with great skill. The best team in the state, by a wide margin, won state. Besse is a stud and can shoot like no other in the state. You can't teach a stick like that. If all the Benilde players come back plus some great players coming in you can print next years banner now.
your kidding me right? i watched Horten hit a kid in the back of the head and then go up and spear him in his man part and he is their captain he is suppose to be an example. tell me how that is respectful in anyway

Ogie

Post by Ogie » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:23 pm

hm88 wrote:They allowed the honorary captain Duke Pieper to come forward to get the trophy. Duke made the HM varsity as a freshman to start the 09' season and just before his first varsity game, he was taken to the hospital. He had an emergency surgery as he had a brain tumor (i believe), his life was in question and he almost did not make it. He has had several surgeries since, and has been around the team for the past couple of years. He was an honorary captain this year, his senior year, and I thought it was a good moment to allow Duke to go get the trophy.
I just knew there had to be a legit reason for that.

Good on the HM guys.

Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:38 pm

I was impressed with how many players from both teams hugged each other after the game. However, I thought Lechner probably should have had Besse shadowed after the second goal. When Benilde had a faceoff in HM's zone they left him wide open in the slot. It didn't amount to anything, but still... Also, that Heinrich reminds me of Brendan Baker from Edina's 2008 team. You just don't want to be anywhere near them without getting blasted.
I can splash in the rink puddles!

UntouchableFlow

Post by UntouchableFlow » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:44 pm

I didn't mean to go off on the results of the game.

Congrats to BSM on a great season. Really came around in the second half and played fantastic team hockey. Huge to see them rally for Jabs and bring home the ship for him.

Congrats to Hill on a great season and for a great tournament. Not many around the state gave you a chance but you played some great games. Hats off as always to Lex and the rest of the coaching staff.

If both teams return all of the guys that are supposed to return, it could be a repeat final next year. Best of luck to all of the graduating seniors and to the rest during the offseason.

Murray Chadwick

Post by Murray Chadwick » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:01 am

karl(east) wrote:Congrats to Benilde. They got the job done--and did it with style. They have been through a lot this year--at the beginning they looked like a disorganized mess. But they pulled it all together, and no doubt Jack Jablonski's injury played a key role in getting them to rally together and go win a title. Props to Ken Pauly and his staff for making it all happen. After a tough luck season, things really started to break their way down the stretch, with potential dangerous opponents like Eden Prairie, Duluth East, and Eagan being upset, and Hill missing on a lot of early chances that could have changed the complexion of the title game. Destiny? You never know.

Credit also goes out to Bill Lechner and crew for taking a team that many thought would be down some and getting them to the title game. They are always fun to watch in March.
Agree. Well said.

puck81

Post by puck81 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:57 am

Benilde-St. Margarets is the 2012 Minnesota AA State Boy's Hockey Champions. Yes!!!!!! :D :D :D

Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:50 am

UntouchableFlow wrote:Is Jake supposed to be happy about losing in the state championship? Give the kid a break, he wanted to win and came up short, and was disappointed. Maybe your kid would be fine with a second place finish, but maybe Jake had higher hopes. This kid has got a lot of potential and as a Hill fan I sure hope that he comes back next year.

Obviously the final result isn't quite what Hill wanted, but for them to come into the tournament unseeded, and not really given a chance by anybody, they had a great tournament and a great year. Conference championship, beating the Class A champs twice, return to state, and two great team wins to get to the ship. If everybody comes back next year they've got a great shot to win it all next year.
He's not supposed to be happy that his team lost BUT he should show the game the respect IT deserves and leave the medal on. Whine all you want about it in the locker room or to your parents and friends but when the majority of Minnesota is watching you, grow up and show some respect. AS far as breaks go, he's been given plenty, most of them earned but given a few that go with his name. My kid wouldn't be happy with a second place finish but he would understand that he's accomplished something that will stay with him for his entire life. Hill wasn't supposed to be there and played some amazing hockey to get there. While they aren't my favorite team (neither is Benilde by the way) Hill earned their way into the championship by playing well at the right time, something the higher seeded teams couldn't/didn't do.

hockeyhockeyhockey

Post by hockeyhockeyhockey » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:59 am

Big Daddy wrote:
UntouchableFlow wrote:Is Jake supposed to be happy about losing in the state championship? Give the kid a break, he wanted to win and came up short, and was disappointed. Maybe your kid would be fine with a second place finish, but maybe Jake had higher hopes. This kid has got a lot of potential and as a Hill fan I sure hope that he comes back next year.

Obviously the final result isn't quite what Hill wanted, but for them to come into the tournament unseeded, and not really given a chance by anybody, they had a great tournament and a great year. Conference championship, beating the Class A champs twice, return to state, and two great team wins to get to the ship. If everybody comes back next year they've got a great shot to win it all next year.
He's not supposed to be happy that his team lost BUT he should show the game the respect IT deserves and leave the medal on. Whine all you want about it in the locker room or to your parents and friends but when the majority of Minnesota is watching you, grow up and show some respect. AS far as breaks go, he's been given plenty, most of them earned but given a few that go with his name. My kid wouldn't be happy with a second place finish but he would understand that he's accomplished something that will stay with him for his entire life. Hill wasn't supposed to be there and played some amazing hockey to get there. While they aren't my favorite team (neither is Benilde by the way) Hill earned their way into the championship by playing well at the right time, something the higher seeded teams couldn't/didn't do.
dugan could not get his off fast enough either by the way if you watched others...and Jake really stayed on the ice by himself watching the BSM celebration buy their fans well after the official ceremony.. contemplating a return perhaps?

hockeygirl2

Post by hockeygirl2 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:04 am

Is disappointing to see all the haters on this board. Give BSM credit as they went through a lot this year and ended up on top. As for all of you complaining about Horton, cheap shots happen in almost every game. He was caught and should have been ejected. But I understand his frustration. Hill Murray was hitting up high and often times with contact to the head that was called only for elbowing to avoid the 5 minutes major during a state. Championship game. I understand the frustration that comes from this. It doesn't make it right but it is understandable and these types of actions occur in many, many games over the course of the season, and occurs with virtually every team. It's hockey--it isn't choir practice. As for Besse, great game. It's not the way it used to be, but every kid celebrates after scoring a goal--5 in the championship game? Give him a break. What he did was amazing and probably won't be repeated. I was we had a kid like that on our team

Gems

Post by Gems » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:13 am

green4 wrote:

Sorry u either got cut or beat ny the Red Knights. Let the kids play and have fun. Benilde did nothing disrespectful and played the game the way it should be played with speed and skill. HM running around with their heads cut off trying to kill people doesn't work when you play a team with great skill. The best team in the state, by a wide margin, won state. Besse is a stud and can shoot like no other in the state. You can't teach a stick like that. If all the Benilde players come back plus some great players coming in you can print next years banner now.
your kidding me right? i watched Horten hit a kid in the back of the head and then go up and spear him in his man part and he is their captain he is suppose to be an example. tell me how that is respectful in anyway
Agreed...if you watched him and the team all year they are a very cheap team that likes to take dives...watch the tapes they don't lie...

thorhockey

Post by thorhockey » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:13 am

Very entertaining game. Followed by an entertaining thread.

DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:18 am

goldy313 wrote:
karl(east) wrote:Loving the physicality in this one so far. Both teams are bringing it, especially Hill. It has the crowd fired up here at the X.
Me too but at the same time calls that were drawing 5 minute majors two weeks ago aren't being called in this tournament.
Agreed!

Was at the whole tourney, and the head hunting that did occur went uncalled... Hill benefitted from the non calls all weekend, just as they did in 2008...

sachishi4

Post by sachishi4 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:10 pm

DmanDad1980 wrote:
goldy313 wrote:
karl(east) wrote:Loving the physicality in this one so far. Both teams are bringing it, especially Hill. It has the crowd fired up here at the X.
Me too but at the same time calls that were drawing 5 minute majors two weeks ago aren't being called in this tournament.
Agreed!

Was at the whole tourney, and the head hunting that did occur went uncalled... Hill benefitted from the non calls all weekend, just as they did in 2008...
Hill benefited from non-calls in 08? Wha?
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20

mnhockey30

Post by mnhockey30 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:18 pm

Is it me or did benilde somewhat shadow guentzel the entire game and try to get the other players on HM to score on them.

stpaul

BSM - HM

Post by stpaul » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:06 pm

What a great high school hockey season. HS Hockey is alive and well in Minnesota. It still has a huge following and passion. Almost 20,000 at the X on Friday night set a record for the largest crowd ever for a hockey game in MN at any level. I'm glad I was there and got to experience the thrill of my Hill-Murray team winning a state semifinal game in OT. We saw some great players that will star at Minnesota, Wisconsin, UMD and other D1 programs and will play in the NHL one day. My advice to the underclassman star players is this - stay in high school and be a part of this. You only get one chance. Junior hockey will still be there next year.

It ended with great jubilation for Benilde-St. Margaret's. They won their first AA State Title and are added to that great list of State Champions joining Eveleth, Roseau, International Falls, SP Johnson, Edina, Grand Rapids, Jefferson, Hill-Murray, Duluth East, Holy Angels, Eden Prairie and many others. They were playing great hockey at the right time of the year. Grant Besse had the championship game all kids dream about. Hopefully that gold medal will help Jack Jablonski win the battle he has to fight in the years ahead.

The end had a sting in it for Duluth East & Minnetonka because they were the best two teams all year long. It has a sting for Hill-Murray because it has to hurt to get so close and come up short. But all 3 schools as well as Eagan, Maple Grove, Lakeville South, Moorhead and Edina had great and memorable season. Thanks to all the coaches and players.

A final word about my club Hill-Murray. This one was right up there with the all time great HM teams. This was not expected. HM returned only 6 players including only one defenseman and a goalie with almost no varsity experience. Bill Lechner, Pat Schafhauser and Tony Ciro did an incredible job. Already looking forward to how good this young team will be next year. My appreciation for Bill Lechner continues. He's a great coach but can see the bigger picture of helping kids grow up and the fact that there is another team of good kids on the other side trying to do the same.

See you all in about 9 months.

The Gumper

Re: BSM - HM

Post by The Gumper » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:32 pm

stpaul wrote:A final word about my club Hill-Murray. This one was right up there with the all time great HM teams.
Did you mean this team was NOT up there with the all time great HM teams?

The Gumper

Post by The Gumper » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:41 pm

Big Daddy wrote:He's not supposed to be happy that his team lost BUT he should show the game the respect IT deserves and leave the medal on. Whine all you want about it in the locker room or to your parents and friends but when the majority of Minnesota is watching you, grow up and show some respect.
I have to agree. Taking your runner-up medal off as soon as you turn an head back to your team is tacky and suggests you have no respect for 2nd place. A few Hill-Murray players did the same thing last year when they lost in the section final to WBL. It's a gesture that lacks class.

IMHO it's also a little classless the way the H-M captains immediately handed off the 2nd place trophy to the team manager. Similar to immediately removing your 2nd place medals, this gesture sends the signal that you place little or no value on a 2nd place award.

sachishi4

Post by sachishi4 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:44 pm

The Gumper wrote:
Big Daddy wrote:He's not supposed to be happy that his team lost BUT he should show the game the respect IT deserves and leave the medal on. Whine all you want about it in the locker room or to your parents and friends but when the majority of Minnesota is watching you, grow up and show some respect.
I have to agree. Taking your runner-up medal off as soon as you turn an head back to your team is tacky and suggests you have no respect for 2nd place. A few Hill-Murray players did the same thing last year when they lost in the section final to WBL. It's a gesture that lacks class.

IMHO it's also a little classless the way the H-M captains immediately handed off the 2nd place trophy to the team manager. Similar to immediately removing your 2nd place medals, this gesture sends the signal that you place little or no value on a 2nd place award.
Have you missed the Duke Pieper story? He was also the team captain. IMO, it was the classiest move of the night by HM.
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20

UntouchableFlow

Post by UntouchableFlow » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:45 pm

The Gumper wrote:

Obviously you haven't read through to understand what actually happened. They were planning on letting Duke Peiper have the first chance to hold the trophy, it had no reflection to how they felt about 2nd, as they would have given Duke the trophy right away either way.

tonkafan77

Post by tonkafan77 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:50 pm

You're right everybody.

Everything all the players did on Benilde this year was amazing. Great sportsmanship, great role models.

And of course Hill Murray showed absolutely no class and all their players are spoiled, whiny kids.

Gimme a break :roll:

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:23 pm

tonkafan77 wrote:You're right everybody.

Everything all the players did on Benilde this year was amazing. Great sportsmanship, great role models.

And of course Hill Murray showed absolutely no class and all their players are spoiled, whiny kids.

Gimme a break :roll:
Unsportsman-like taunting and spearing are great sportsmanship and good role-modeling? I had no idea. i'll adjust my parameters accordingly.