Grant Besse

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

bemused

Post by bemused » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:52 pm

Seems to be an awful lot of love for a private school guy..

JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:28 pm

flatontheice wrote:
JDUBBS1280 wrote:
RickyTicky wrote:I was at the Hill vs South game..To say Sampair shut down Kloos is a little misleading. Once Hill got up by a goal they start putting 3,4 and I even saw 5 guys in the nuetral zone whenever Kloos was on the ice in order to trap him the moment he crossed the red line. Many teams did this and you could even see it in the tournament many teams would not forecheck hard when he was out there so they could trap him in the nuetral zone and not allow him to gain speed in the open ice. He still makes plays regardless and he set up 2 of the 3 goals South scored that game. He has amazing determination and never really seems to get frusterated when the other team would run him for focus 2 guys on him. I think he will be great at the U because he is a play maker and teams won't be able to focus just on stopping him.
And his strengths really fit the Gophers style of play as well. I think he'll thrive in Lucia's system.[/quo

The gophers did in fact pursue Besse just to clear up your "facts". Maybe not as hard as Wisconsin and some other schools but they did talk to him and were interested. He chose Wisconsin.
Source? Because EVERYTHING I have been told says otherwise.

flatontheice

Post by flatontheice » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:17 am

JDUBBS1280 wrote:
flatontheice wrote:
JDUBBS1280 wrote:
RickyTicky wrote:I was at the Hill vs South game..To say Sampair shut down Kloos is a little misleading. Once Hill got up by a goal they start putting 3,4 and I even saw 5 guys in the nuetral zone whenever Kloos was on the ice in order to trap him the moment he crossed the red line. Many teams did this and you could even see it in the tournament many teams would not forecheck hard when he was out there so they could trap him in the nuetral zone and not allow him to gain speed in the open ice. He still makes plays regardless and he set up 2 of the 3 goals South scored that game. He has amazing determination and never really seems to get frusterated when the other team would run him for focus 2 guys on him. I think he will be great at the U because he is a play maker and teams won't be able to focus just on stopping him.
And his strengths really fit the Gophers style of play as well. I think he'll thrive in Lucia's system.[/quo

The gophers did in fact pursue Besse just to clear up your "facts". Maybe not as hard as Wisconsin and some other schools but they did talk to him and were interested. He chose Wisconsin.
The horse himself is my source

JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:25 am

flatontheice wrote:
JDUBBS1280 wrote:
flatontheice wrote:
JDUBBS1280 wrote:

The horse himself is my source
Interesting. I would be intrigued to know exactly what he said because I have heard from multiple people that the Gophers really didn't pursue him.

Some kids feel spited when they aren't pursued as hard as they'd like by a team. Not saying that's the case here, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was. Same thing happened with a certain member of the USNTDP recently.
Last edited by JDUBBS1280 on Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

ticktacktonka

Post by ticktacktonka » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:26 am

I know for a fact the Gophers DID NOT pursue Grant.

JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:27 am

ticktacktonka wrote:I know for a fact the Gophers DID NOT pursue Grant.
I am 100% sure they didn't either.

flatontheice

Post by flatontheice » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:49 am

By pursue..do you mean officially offered a scholarship? If thats what you mean then ok. But Grant went down to the U visited and met with the coaches. The entire staff watched him. He chose Wisconsin. "Bird in hand"

JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:24 am

flatontheice wrote:
By pursue..do you mean officially offered a scholarship? If thats what you mean then ok. But Grant went down to the U visited and met with the coaches. The entire staff watched him. He chose Wisconsin. "Bird in hand"
He "chose Wisconsin" because the Gophers weren't going to offer him a scholarship. So excuse me if I say your attempts to make this look like he "chose Wisconsin" over an equal opportunity at Minnesota are getting pretty laughable. He wasn't going to Minnesota regardless of whether or not he "chose Wisconsin".

My God Chucky, give it a rest.

flatontheice

Post by flatontheice » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:08 am

JDUBBS1280 wrote:
flatontheice wrote:
He "chose Wisconsin" because the Gophers weren't going to offer him a scholarship. So excuse me if I say your attempts to make this look like he "chose Wisconsin" over an equal opportunity at Minnesota are getting pretty laughable. He wasn't going to Minnesota regardless of whether or not he "chose Wisconsin".

Not "trying" to make it look like anything. Just correcting your 100% facts. You have no idea if the gophers were going to offer him a scholarship or not. If he would have been patient I think it would have ended up differently. He took the "bird in hand" and chose Wisconsin. That is a fact. 100% sure.

JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:16 am

flatontheice wrote:
JDUBBS1280 wrote:
flatontheice wrote:

Not "trying" to make it look like anything. Just correcting your 100% facts. You have no idea if the gophers were going to offer him a scholarship or not. If he would have been patient I think it would have ended up differently. He took the "bird in hand" and chose Wisconsin. That is a fact. 100% sure.
They weren't going to offer him a scholarship unless something changed with the commitments they already had. And nothing has changed. He took the offer at Wisconsin, but not over an offer at Minnesota. That I am 100% sure about.

So take the "chose Wisconsin" bull crap elsewhere ;)

flatontheice

Post by flatontheice » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:57 am

JDUBBS1280 wrote:
flatontheice wrote:
JDUBBS1280 wrote:
flatontheice wrote:

They weren't going to offer him a scholarship unless something changed with the commitments they already had. And nothing has changed. He took the offer at Wisconsin, but not over an offer at Minnesota. That I am 100% sure about.

Here are the facts: #1. He is a very skilled player. #2.) His record performance in the State Championship Game will be a memory for many forever. #3) From a next level perspective, there were and still are many questions on Besse for most teams, consistency and effort being the main questions. Wisconsin obviously feels the same way as they are bringing him in in 2014. He also laid an egg in New York last year which sent up red flags. He was contacted by multiple Minnesota coaches after the first week of the elite league where he was clearly the best player on the ice. I am sure that is when discussions with many schools began. He had other concerns with Gopher recruits in the same class that led him to his "choice" of Wisconsin. Had he waited, he would have had many more choices. He chose Wisconsin. I assume you can accept that it was his choice?

JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:07 am

flatontheice wrote:
JDUBBS1280 wrote:
flatontheice wrote:
JDUBBS1280 wrote:
flatontheice wrote:

Here are the facts: #1. He is a very skilled player. #2.) His record performance in the State Championship Game will be a memory for many forever. #3) From a next level perspective, there were and still are many questions on Besse for most teams, consistency and effort being the main questions. Wisconsin obviously feels the same way as they are bringing him in in 2014. He also laid an egg in New York last year which sent up red flags. He was contacted by multiple Minnesota coaches after the first week of the elite league where he was clearly the best player on the ice. I am sure that is when discussions with many schools began. He had other concerns with Gopher recruits in the same class that led him to his "choice" of Wisconsin. Had he waited, he would have had many more choices. He chose Wisconsin. I assume you can accept that it was his choice?
Minnesota had no plans to offer him a scholarship. It appears that it is you who is having problems coming to grips with that.

Could Minnesota have changed their minds? Sure. But playing that "what if" in an attempt to make it appear as though the kid "chose Wisconsin" over an equal opportunity at Minnesota is disengenuous.

Fact remains, at the time Grant "chose Wisconsin" the Gophers had ZERO plans to give him a scholarship. And if he was still undecided at this time, I believe they would still have no plans to give him one. And I think it has been explained, numerous times by myself and others in this thread, why not.

minnscout

Post by minnscout » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:31 am

The gophers are missing one big piece and that is a pure goal scorer, Besse is a pure scorer. if we continue to bring in play makers without the goal scores we will continue to see the pucks hitting the pad instead of the back of the net (matson, condon, warning,ext.....). Look at the Frozen 4 semi final, hansen and matson had point blank shots and didnt score, Besse puts those under the bar.

JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:33 am

minnscout wrote:The gophers are missing one big piece and that is a pure goal scorer, Besse is a pure scorer. if we continue to bring in play makers without the goal scores we will continue to see the pucks hitting the pad instead of the back of the net (matson, condon, warning,ext.....). Look at the Frozen 4 semi final, hansen and matson had point blank shots and didnt score, Besse puts those under the bar.
Taylor Cammarata, Hudson Fasching, Gabe Guertler, Justin Kloos. They already have the high-end forwards coming in. And Minnesota was outplayed by BC's defense. Grant Besse doesn't help us. More experience does.

flatontheice

Post by flatontheice » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:47 am

minnscout wrote:The gophers are missing one big piece and that is a pure goal scorer, Besse is a pure scorer. if we continue to bring in play makers without the goal scores we will continue to see the pucks hitting the pad instead of the back of the net (matson, condon, warning,ext.....). Look at the Frozen 4 semi final, hansen and matson had point blank shots and didnt score, Besse puts those under the bar.
I agree.

flatontheice

Post by flatontheice » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:49 am

JDUBBS1280 wrote:
flatontheice wrote:
JDUBBS1280 wrote:
flatontheice wrote:
JDUBBS1280 wrote:
flatontheice wrote:

Minnesota had no plans to offer him a scholarship. It appears that it is you who is having problems coming to grips with that.

Could Minnesota have changed their minds? Sure. But playing that "what if" in an attempt to make it appear as though the kid "chose Wisconsin" over an equal opportunity at Minnesota is disengenuous.

Fact remains, at the time Grant "chose Wisconsin" the Gophers had ZERO plans to give him a scholarship. And if he was still undecided at this time, I believe they would still have no plans to give him one. And I think it has been explained, numerous times by myself and others in this thread, why not.
Not once have I said he chose Wisconsin over Minnesota just that he chose Wisconsin

JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:54 am

flatontheice wrote:
JDUBBS1280 wrote:
flatontheice wrote:
JDUBBS1280 wrote:
flatontheice wrote:
JDUBBS1280 wrote:
flatontheice wrote:

Not once have I said he chose Wisconsin over Minnesota just that he chose Wisconsin
Really? He chose Wisconsin? Are you sure? Thanks for the info!

You were trying to spin it like he chose Wisconsin over Minnesota, so save it. Minnesota never made an offer, and very likely was never going to, which makes that categorically incorrect.

Wisconsin hockey fans. Can't say they aren't amusing.
Last edited by JDUBBS1280 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:54 am

flatontheice wrote:
I agree.
Cammarata >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Besse

sachishi4

Post by sachishi4 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:04 pm

JDUBBS1280 wrote:
flatontheice wrote:
I agree.
Big time, and its not close IMO

Also, take a team with all of the states best recruits and star players and you will get a gopher squad that doesn't make the NCAA for 3 years. You can only have so many super talented forwards, but you also need the role players. Something tells me that Besse would want none of that (good luck at wisconsin in that regard).
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:05 pm

Clearly the best player on the ice in the fall elite league? I hope this is not one of your facts. He was among the best but not "clearly" the best.

JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:09 pm

sachishi4 wrote:
JDUBBS1280 wrote:
flatontheice wrote:
I agree.

Also, take a team with all of the states best recruits and star players and you will get a gopher squad that doesn't make the NCAA for 3 years. You can only have so many super talented forwards, but you also need the role players. Something tells me that Besse would want none of that (good luck at wisconsin in that regard).
BINGO!!!!

Which is EXACTLY why Besse wasn't offered a scholarship.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:14 pm

JDUBBS1280 wrote:
sachishi4 wrote:
JDUBBS1280 wrote:
flatontheice wrote:
I agree.

BINGO!!!!

Why was Nanne offered a scholarship? :wink: :shock: :-s :lol:

JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:22 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:
JDUBBS1280 wrote:
sachishi4 wrote:
JDUBBS1280 wrote:
flatontheice wrote:
I agree.

BINGO!!!!

Not to be a top line scorer. Is Besse suited for, and would he have been content with, a checking/PK role at Minnesota?

And who said Nanne got a Scholly?
Last edited by JDUBBS1280 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

xy

Post by xy » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:24 pm

I've never seen this stated publicly by a person who is in a position to know first-hand, but the conventional wisdom is that he wasn't offered a scholarship. The family, including Grandpa, has plenty of money and can handle things financially.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:35 pm

JDUBBS1280 wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
JDUBBS1280 wrote:
sachishi4 wrote:
JDUBBS1280 wrote:
flatontheice wrote:
I agree.

BINGO!!!!

Not to be a top line scorer. Is Besse suited for, and would he have been content with, a checking/PK role at Minnesota?

And who said Nanne got a Scholly?
Minnesota would of been all over Besse this year, any program would be. He's been Wisconsin for over a year and a half and he was only a junior this year.

Why, is *Nanne going to be considered a walk-on?

*Grandpa scholly?