Grant Besse

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:35 am

CRS wrote:Amazing player, but the Gophers cannot recruit every MN player. The 2013 class for the U is already stacked with talent.
When aren't they stacked?

Govie

Re: Grant Besse

Post by Govie » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:09 am

Sats81 wrote:
blueblood wrote:Wow.....that will go down as the top performance by an individual player in the history of the state tourney.

Congrats GB!
After Dave Spehar in 95.
I was gonna say (and yes, I was at the marathon game, BTW, as a freshman at JHS that year as we were in the tourney too).

Look at what Spehar, one of the all time state HS players, did after HS; He was solid with the Gophers as far as I remember but was never legitimate pro player.

He was a phenominal HS player, good college player, and not even sure how he fared in pros. This Besse had one of the great performances of MSHSL Tourney history, but that does not mean it will resonate at the next level(s).

Hockey Fever

Besse....

Post by Hockey Fever » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:22 am

Besse has one of the best shots in HS hockey. I've seen him score goals identical to his first goal during the season and was hoping that he'd take the shot. That being said, I've also watched games where he seemed sort of selfish. He had a 2 on 1 last night with a teammate wide open in front of the net and wasn't going to pass the puck. The kid can obviously score though, you can't teach that.

Observer85

Post by Observer85 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:13 pm

keepyourheadup wrote:I just don't get the U of W commit. Eaves is a defense first guy. I'm not sure this is the best spot for him.
The U of W thing is easy....he won't have to change the color of his helmet, breezers, gloves, etc. Maybe he likes red?

Govie

Post by Govie » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:25 pm

I was just told that he is going to leave BSM for his senior year and play Juniors.

Don't private school kids have any sense of loyalty? :roll:

minnscout

Post by minnscout » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:25 pm

The only thing Besse has in common with Spehar is they scored a lot of goals in highschool. Besse is bigger, stronger, faster and has a much higher upside.

puck81

Post by puck81 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:05 pm

green4 wrote:definitly not the best in the state. not hard to score when you float all game. against edina he was not as good as Horn for Benilde and Hurley for Edina
He wasn't floating on any of the 5 goals he scored last night Mr. Green (with envy). Sure he should have passed the puck on that 2 on 1 but your criticism of that unbelievable performance last night is all sour grapes. I guess if you ever win the lottery one day you'll complain that it wasn't $20 million instead of just $10 million. :P

EHSHack

Post by EHSHack » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:12 pm

Everyone complaining about him passing and floating and what not just looks like an idiot. The kid scored 5, F-I-V-E goals, in the State Championship Game! If its so easy to score goals by cherry picking and floating why didn't someone on Hill Murray score 5 goals? Why isnt everyone putting up insane numbers?
Also not sure how you float and cherry pick on the penalty kill. 3 shorties is no small feat. Haters gonna hate but what I witnessed last night was nothing short of incredible. I think last night is topped only by last years State Championship.
Go Hounds.

Tornadoes 2003StateChamps

Post by Tornadoes 2003StateChamps » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:24 pm

What was the look Besse gave Newhouse (#6) after the game was over. They hugged each other, seperated a bit while holding each other in their arms, didn't say anything, and just looked into each other's eyes. It totally creeped me and the 6 other straight guys I was with while we watched the game. It looked like they were going to kiss.

Govie

Post by Govie » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:35 pm

Tornadoes 2003StateChamps wrote:What was the look Besse gave Newhouse (#6) after the game was over. They hugged each other, seperated a bit while holding each other in their arms, didn't say anything, and just looked into each other's eyes. It totally creeped me and the 6 other straight guys I was with while we watched the game. It looked like they were going to kiss.
They were a little "close" but I didn't make much of it.

Govie

Post by Govie » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:37 pm

Does anyone have any idea what Besse said to that Hill player after he scored his fifth (I think) goal and he skated by? The kid rushed back at him like he said some really nasty stuff to him. :?

Kloosforpresident

Post by Kloosforpresident » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:39 pm

Govie wrote:Does anyone have any idea what Besse said to that Hill player after he scored his fifth (I think) goal and he skated by? The kid rushed back at him like he said some really nasty stuff to him. :?
I believe the Hill player you are referring to was Heinrich #16, if I had to guess it was probably something to get back at him for the shove he gave Besse on the semi-breakaway that sent him into the boards, fun to watch those two go at it all game, Heinrich rocked him hard a few times

3A alum

Post by 3A alum » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:08 pm

Besse is a great player and had an unbelievable game. but on thing that was pissed about was how he tried to draw a penalty by laying on the ice for 5 min, then sprinting off and coming out the next shift

hipcheck

Post by hipcheck » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:04 pm

Besse scored 5 goals in a AA Championship game. 3 were shorthanded! Lets leave it at that.

WOW!

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:07 pm

Govie wrote:Does anyone have any idea what Besse said to that Hill player after he scored his fifth (I think) goal and he skated by? The kid rushed back at him like he said some really nasty stuff to him. :?
I was told he told him what time mass was on Sunday.

6ix

Post by 6ix » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:10 pm

Govie wrote:I was just told that he is going to leave BSM for his senior year and play Juniors.

Don't private school kids have any sense of loyalty? :roll:
You were told wrong
I have the best trophy in my case

PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:13 pm

Govie wrote:Don't private school kids have any sense of loyalty? :roll:
Nor do public school kids.

Let's just call it a wash.

8)
The Puck
LGW

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:23 pm

PuckU126 wrote:

8)
So true

puck81

Post by puck81 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:43 pm

Tornadoes 2003StateChamps wrote:What was the look Besse gave Newhouse (#6) after the game was over. They hugged each other, seperated a bit while holding each other in their arms, didn't say anything, and just looked into each other's eyes. It totally creeped me and the 6 other straight guys I was with while we watched the game. It looked like they were going to kiss.
You sure those 6 other straight guy's you were with are really straight? :wink: What about your preference?

Govie

Post by Govie » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:11 pm

PuckU126 wrote:

8)
Hmmm, the last five (off the top of my mind right now) that went DI from my high school ALL stayed for four years, even when a couple of them could have left their years on what were average squads by MSHSL standards and went USHL or elsewhere.

There's a tremendous amount of loyalty by JHS standards over the years. Must be an East Side/Herb Brooks thing. :?

Just face it, rich boy/private schoolers have a sense of entitlement.

minnscout

Post by minnscout » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:15 pm

You are ripping a kid who stayed down after he was given a cheap shot into the boards. Besse took 3 strides than 16 hits him in the lower back causing him to go heavy into the boards. That is the crap that needs to end

mnhockey30

Post by mnhockey30 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:24 pm

Govie wrote:
PuckU126 wrote:

8)
Hmmm, the last five (off the top of my mind right now) that went DI from my high school ALL stayed for four years, even when a couple of them could have left their years on what were average squads by MSHSL standards and went USHL or elsewhere.

There's a tremendous amount of loyalty by JHS standards over the years. Must be an East Side/Herb Brooks thing. :?

So Horn telling NTDP after his freshman year that they have nothing to offer that his High School team does not already offer is not loyal. I think that is pretty Loyal, otherwise its like a 50/50 split on both private and public school kids leaving.

Govie

Post by Govie » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:28 pm

mnhockey30 wrote:
Govie wrote:
PuckU126 wrote:

8)

So Horn telling NTDP after his freshman year that they have nothing to offer that his High School team does not already offer is not loyal. I think that is pretty Loyal, otherwise its like a 50/50 split on both private and public school kids leaving.
It would be interesting to see how many in the NTDP are public or private descendant.

Nevertheless, you are comparing apples to oranges and switching the discussion up entirely. The National Developmental team is extremely selective, and the kids I am talking about could have split for Juniors, which is the real point.

PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:44 pm

Govie wrote:There's a tremendous amount of loyalty by JHS standards over the years. Must be an East Side/Herb Brooks thing. :?

Over the years, eh?

Is it true that Johnson alums still hate HM because they "took" a number of their players in the 1970s? Where's the public school loyalty there?

In recent years, well... I wouldn't say JHS is a huge feeder of talent to junior and college teams.

Just face it, ALL players (private, public, rich, poor) have a sense of entitlement.

8)
The Puck
LGW

mn miracle man

Post by mn miracle man » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:46 pm

minnscout wrote:Why do people say he is a floater? He was killing penalties and scored 3 goals. Just cause he is faster and smarter than the other team doesn't make him a floater. He is actually a pretty well rounded player, very strong on his skates. Of course he will have to adjust his game a bit when he gets to college but he will.
Agreed, he had a hat trick in shorthanded goals alone. Those type of goals come from anticipation and hockey sense, definitely not by being lazy.