Grant Besse

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:44 pm

JDUBBS1280 wrote:
sachishi4 wrote:
JDUBBS1280 wrote:
flatontheice wrote:
minnscout wrote:The gophers are missing one big piece and that is a pure goal scorer, Besse is a pure scorer. if we continue to bring in play makers without the goal scores we will continue to see the pucks hitting the pad instead of the back of the net (matson, condon, warning,ext.....). Look at the Frozen 4 semi final, hansen and matson had point blank shots and didnt score, Besse puts those under the bar.
I agree.
Cammarata >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Besse
Big time, and its not close IMO

Also, take a team with all of the states best recruits and star players and you will get a gopher squad that doesn't make the NCAA for 3 years. You can only have so many super talented forwards, but you also need the role players. Something tells me that Besse would want none of that (good luck at wisconsin in that regard).
BINGO!!!!

Which is EXACTLY why Besse wasn't offered a scholarship.
Cammarata>>>>><<<<<Besse

You'd be saying Besse is God's gift to Hockey if he was going to be a Gopher. :idea:

:lol:

I'm out

And again, you would be talking up Besse and be saying Cammarata is a 5'3' kid that will not hang playing D-1 at Wisconsin.

It's the nature of the tunnel vision fan. :idea:

I N-E-V-E-R said that Besse would be better. I'm not a Wisconsin fan. Get it, yet?

:roll:
Last edited by MrBoDangles on Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:44 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:
JDUBBS1280 wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
JDUBBS1280 wrote:
sachishi4 wrote:
JDUBBS1280 wrote:
flatontheice wrote:
minnscout wrote:The gophers are missing one big piece and that is a pure goal scorer, Besse is a pure scorer. if we continue to bring in play makers without the goal scores we will continue to see the pucks hitting the pad instead of the back of the net (matson, condon, warning,ext.....). Look at the Frozen 4 semi final, hansen and matson had point blank shots and didnt score, Besse puts those under the bar.
I agree.

Also, take a team with all of the states best recruits and star players and you will get a gopher squad that doesn't make the NCAA for 3 years. You can only have so many super talented forwards, but you also need the role players. Something tells me that Besse would want none of that (good luck at wisconsin in that regard).
BINGO!!!!

Why was Nanne offered a scholarship? :wink: :shock: :-s :lol:
Not to be a top line scorer. Is Besse suited for, and would he have been content with, a checking/PK role at Minnesota?

And who said Nanne got a Scholly?
Minnesota would of been all over Besse this year, any program would be. He's been Wisconsin for over a year and a half and he was only a junior this year.

Why, is *Nanne going to be considered a walk-on?

*Grandpa scholly?
No, the Gophers wouldn't be "all over Besse" this year. They got the high-end offensive players they wanted: Fasching, Cammarata, Guertler, Kloos.

Sorry, but there wasn't a need for Besse. He doesn't fill a role like Lettieri, Nanne, ect do.

JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:50 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:
JDUBBS1280 wrote:
sachishi4 wrote:
JDUBBS1280 wrote:
flatontheice wrote:
I agree.

BINGO!!!!

Cammarata>>>>><<<<<Besse

You'd be saying Besse is God's gift to Hockey if he was going to be a Gopher. :idea:

I'm out
Good thing you're "out" because you sound ridiculous.

I've watched both play a lot. Besse can't hold Cammarata's jock. Nothing against Besse, but Cammarata is a talent on a whole other level.

As a sixteen year old (younger than Besse), he set an all-time record for being the first sixteen year old to score 60 pts in a season. He is currently 6th in the USHL in scoring as a SIXTEEN YEAR OLD.

I'm sorry, but Cammarata >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Besse and you're clueless if you disagree. Utterly C-L-U-E-L-E-S-S.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:53 pm

JDUBBS1280 wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
JDUBBS1280 wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
JDUBBS1280 wrote:
sachishi4 wrote:
JDUBBS1280 wrote:
flatontheice wrote:
I agree.

BINGO!!!!

Not to be a top line scorer. Is Besse suited for, and would he have been content with, a checking/PK role at Minnesota?

Minnesota would of been all over Besse this year, any program would be. He's been Wisconsin for over a year and a half and he was only a junior this year.

*Grandpa scholly?
No, the Gophers wouldn't be "all over Besse" this year. They got the high-end offensive players they wanted: Fasching, Cammarata, Guertler, Kloos.

Sorry, but there wasn't a need for Besse. He doesn't fill a role like Lettieri, Nanne, ect do.
The Gophers would take him in a heartbeat. Fact. :roll:

Nanne is a commited walk-on?

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:04 pm

Guertler>>>>><<<<<Besse

Show us that you're the ultimate Gopher fan.. :lol:

When did I say Besse was better? I was simply showing that any Gopher recruit is better than any other commitment.... In your little world.

Are you slow? :cry:

Nanne>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Besse ?? :lol:

flatontheice

Post by flatontheice » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:35 pm

keepyourheadup wrote:Clearly the best player on the ice in the fall elite league? I hope this is not one of your facts. He was among the best but not "clearly" the best.
Opening weekend of the elite league he was the best. Consensus best. Period.

JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:54 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:
JDUBBS1280 wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
JDUBBS1280 wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
JDUBBS1280 wrote:
sachishi4 wrote:
JDUBBS1280 wrote:
flatontheice wrote:
I agree.

BINGO!!!!

*Grandpa scholly?

The Gophers would take him in a heartbeat. Fact. :roll:

Nanne is a commited walk-on?
If by "fact" you mean something that absolutely isn't true, you're probably right ;)

JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:56 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:Guertler>>>>><<<<<Besse

When did I say Besse was better? I was simply showing that any Gopher recruit is better than any other commitment.... In your little world.

Haha.... I always love it when people try to pigeon hole someone else as something in order to win a debate.

Gopher fan or not, Besse isn't as talented as Cammarata. If you disagree, then I don't even need to debate this further. Your lack of either knowledge, perspective, or both are quite apparent.

It has NOTHING to do with the fact that Cammarata committed to the Gophers. He's a more talented player. Simple as that.
Last edited by JDUBBS1280 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:58 pm

flatontheice wrote:
keepyourheadup wrote:Clearly the best player on the ice in the fall elite league? I hope this is not one of your facts. He was among the best but not "clearly" the best.
Wow, now it's the "first weekend" of elite league. Next thing you know it will be during one shift of elite league play.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Besse wasn't the best player in Elite League.

flatontheice

Post by flatontheice » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:15 pm

JDUBBS1280 wrote:
flatontheice wrote:
Wow, now it's the "first weekend" of elite league. Next thing you know it will be during one shift of elite league play.

Are you kidding me..can you try and be a good listener for one second..
I simply said that the opening weekend of the elite league (the most scouted weekend of the elite league year) he was the best player and that is when all the recruiting on him picked up including the gophers.

I think you got your wires crossed here to because I am a gopher fan. Big time gopher fan all my life.
Besse is a great player..gifted scorer. Is he the best? Is Cammerata better? I don't know yet and neither do you. This reminds me of the debates on Mike Fink after his 43 goal sophomore year (And offers from every WCHA School) and I don't think he has scored 43 total in the 4 years since so lets wait a little before we make ridiculous statements about who is better.
If you read my previous posts, the biggest recruiting concern on Besse was his effort and inconsistency and that, in my opinion, is why the gophers were slow to offer. He chose Wisconsin before they made a final decision on him.

JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:23 pm

flatontheice wrote:
JDUBBS1280 wrote:
flatontheice wrote:

I simply said that the opening weekend of the elite league (the most scouted weekend of the elite league year) he was the best player and that is when all the recruiting on him picked up including the gophers.

I think you got your wires crossed here to because I am a gopher fan. Big time gopher fan all my life.
Besse is a great player..gifted scorer. Is he the best? Is Cammerata better? I don't know yet and neither do you. This reminds me of the debates on Mike Fink after his 43 goal sophomore year (And offers from every WCHA School) and I don't think he has scored 43 total in the 4 years since so lets wait a little before we make ridiculous statements about who is better.
If you read my previous posts, the biggest recruiting concern on Besse was his effort and inconsistency and that, in my opinion, is why the gophers were slow to offer. He chose Wisconsin before they made a final decision on him.
No wires crossed at all. I could care less if you're a Gopher, Badger, Husky, etc... fan. Some of what you are saying completely contradicts what I have heard. The Gophers were never prepared to offer Besse a Scholly.

We all know he gave a verbal to UW. We know UW offered him a scholly before Minnesota. All that we agree on. Where you and I disagree is on whether or not the Gophers ever would have. From what I've heard, they probably never would. Can't say with 100% certainty because it never got that far, but pretty close.

He wasn't and still sn't a need. He's talented, but not as talented as the high-end forwards they have coming in. And he is neither suited for, nor would he ever have likely been content with, a lower line role.

He's a talented player. It sucks he's going to one of our biggest rivals. He'll probably have a decent college career. But he isn't a need for the Gophers at this time.

JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:27 pm

flatontheice wrote:
JDUBBS1280 wrote:
flatontheice wrote:

And right now it is nearly impossible to look at what Cammarata and Besse have done and say you don't know whom is more talented with a straight face and not look like an idiot.

While Besse had a good junior year in high school, Cammarata was 6th in the USHL in scoring as a 16-year old. Sorry, no contest.

minnscout

Post by minnscout » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:52 pm

Jdubbs equals tool

Why does it matter if Taylor C. Is better than Besse in your opinion? They are not the same type of player at all, maybe u have not seen them both play much? Having TAylor at the U is going to be great but I guatantee u they will miss Besse finishing off his passes on the PP.

Gabe G Taylor C Vinnie L Hudson F are all great players but adding an NHL shot on the PP would help too.

Its about making a team not about getting the most skilled playmakers or a bunch of the same type of players. Hudson is only guy that plays another style.

The Gophers have had this same problem for years. By the way just got back from HP 16 and 17's and there are some really good players coming up the 16's are really deep. Hopefully Gophs can lock up Glover but I hear he is leaning another way.

JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:44 am

minnscout wrote:Jdubbs equals tool

Why does it matter if Taylor C. Is better than Besse in your opinion? They are not the same type of player at all, maybe u have not seen them both play much? Having TAylor at the U is going to be great but I guatantee u they will miss Besse finishing off his passes on the PP.

Gabe G Taylor C Vinnie L Hudson F are all great players but adding an NHL shot on the PP would help too.

Its about making a team not about getting the most skilled playmakers or a bunch of the same type of players. Hudson is only guy that plays another style.

The Gophers have had this same problem for years. By the way just got back from HP 16 and 17's and there are some really good players coming up the 16's are really deep. Hopefully Gophs can lock up Glover but I hear he is leaning another way.
You're right, It is all about putting "a team" on the ice, and that means the right mix of top-end forwards and guys who will fill a checking role and kill penalties for you. Are you suggesting Besse would be content with coming in here and killing penalties and playing a checking role, or that he'd be good at that?

Because with Rau, Warning, Kloos, Fasching, Guertler, Cammarata, Lettieri, C. Reilly there really isn't a lot of room for guys expecting to fill a top line role sometime in the near future. Especially another smaller, water bug type player.

There just wasn't a need for him. The Gophers are going to be just fine :)

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:23 am

Who's consensus? I was at all the games and yes he was very good but so were many others. As the season progressed he ended up right at the top with a half dozen other guys. Nobody in that league was "clearly" the best player. It kind of sells the other 90 some guys in the league a little short making a statement of FACT like that.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:01 am

JDUBBS1280 wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:Guertler>>>>><<<<<Besse

Haha.... I always love it when people try to pigeon hole someone else as something in order to win a debate.

Gopher fan or not, Besse isn't as talented as Cammarata. If you disagree, then I don't even need to debate this further. Your lack of either knowledge, perspective, or both are quite apparent.

It has NOTHING to do with the fact that Cammarata committed to the Gophers. He's a more talented player. Simple as that.
Again, when did I ever say that Besse was better than Cammarata? Everyone is telling you to listen for a reason. :idea:

JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:40 am

JDUBBS1280 wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:I was simply showing that any Gopher recruit is better than any other commitment.... In your little world.
:D :wink:

JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:45 am

MrBoDangles wrote: Everyone is telling you to listen for a reason. :idea:
"Everyone"???

By "everyone", do ou mean you and the guy who has been throwing out "facts" that have been changing with every post?

Haha..... Guilty!!

;)

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:37 pm

minnscout wrote:Its about making a team not about getting the most skilled playmakers or a bunch of the same type of players. Hudson is only guy that plays another style.
It is about making a team. But what makes you say they aren't doing that? Have you see how Guertler's game compares to one of the other guys in that class?

You could make the argument that the Gophers understood how Besse would have fit into the equation for them and didn't feel it was a good compliment for the rest of their projected team. Shooting pucks is nice but if the rest of your game doesn't compliment a team's needs, it doesn't necessarily make you the right fit. That's not intending on slighting him. There are good players that go to other schools besides the U. It is simply saying not every one of them is going to fit a team need when they are going through their decision process.
The Gophers have had this same problem for years.
Apparently that "problem" got them a WCHA title and a Frozen Four this year. :wink:

I understand what you are saying to a degree but I think you are generalizing too much based on a few seasons. This past season's team had a very nice blend of players and that's not changing. The one thing they addressed is trying to maintain more continuity with their high end skills guys not leaving after a year or two. Hence you see a few more smaller, highly skilled forwards that are more likely to do damage on the college level for three or four seasons. This is exactly what BC has done so well over the last decade.

minnscout

Post by minnscout » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:01 pm

Yes that problem got them to frozen 4 but really we were medicore the last half of the season because we couldn't score goals. If u think guys like warning condon r reiley c reily give the Gophers a better chance to win a title instead of having Besse in one of their spots I disagree and that's why Lucia has been missing the NCAA's the past 3 or 4 years until this year.

JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:08 pm

minnscout wrote:Yes that problem got them to frozen 4 but really we were medicore the last half of the season because we couldn't score goals. If u think guys like warning condon r reiley c reily give the Gophers a better chance to win a title instead of having Besse in one of their spots I disagree and that's why Lucia has been missing the NCAA's the past 3 or 4 years until this year.
I think you underestimate the talent of guys like Sam Warning and Connor Reilly, and are giving Grant Besse a little too much credit.

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:50 am

minnscout wrote:Yes that problem got them to frozen 4 but really we were medicore the last half of the season because we couldn't score goals. If u think guys like warning condon r reiley c reily give the Gophers a better chance to win a title instead of having Besse in one of their spots I disagree and that's why Lucia has been missing the NCAA's the past 3 or 4 years until this year.
13 wins and a trip to the Frozen Four is mediocre stuff in the 2nd half? OK...

Besse is not even going to be at UW until 2014 so bringing up the names of players that entered college 2 or more years ahead of him is a tad odd. Heck, Condon won't even be in college any longer by the time Besse steps foot on UW's campus. Those names really don't have anything to do with him being here or not being here (and I disagree with your sentiment on it anyway).

Let me put it this way... if the Gophers could win a national title in 2003 after having missed out on Zach Parise the prior year, I think they'll survive and be OK without Grant Besse. 8)

sachishi4

Post by sachishi4 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:38 am

JDUBBS1280 wrote:
I think you underestimate the talent of guys like Sam Warning and Connor Reilly, and are giving Grant Besse a little too much credit.
He has one great game and all of the sudden he is the best in the land. The gophers got the best player in the tourney this year anyway, they got Kloos
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:16 am

And for you guys to say that the Gophers wouldn't want Besse........

JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:05 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:And for you guys to say that the Gophers wouldn't want Besse........

I guess they probably would have offered him a Scholly if they had been interested. :roll: