Grant Besse

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:28 pm

JDUBBS1280 wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:And for you guys to say that the Gophers wouldn't want Besse........

:lol:
I guess they probably would have offered him a Scholly if they had been interested. :roll:
They'll have to offer the next Besse in the ninth :idea: grade. Can't offer a scholly when beaten to the prize.

](*,)

JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:44 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:
JDUBBS1280 wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:And for you guys to say that the Gophers wouldn't want

I guess they probably would have offered him a Scholly if they had been interested. :roll:
They'll have to offer the next Besse in the ninth :idea: grade. Can't offer a scholly when beaten to the prize.

](*,)
Not beaten, More like Not interested. ](*,)

I know, hard to understand :roll:

ticktacktonka

Post by ticktacktonka » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:34 am

OK, let's stop beating a dead horse. Besse is a Badger, they wanted him, Gophers did not. Good Luck to Grant, let's move on. Gopher Blog, you seem to know a lot about the Gophers, tell us why haven't they signed any defensemen in so long. Seems from the BC game that they are lacking in strong defensive/ defensemen. Are they pursuing any of the top defense coming out of the Minnesota High School Senior class? Seems like they have announced a lot of forwards as late, but no defense. Your knowledge??

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:49 am

ticktacktonka wrote:OK, let's stop beating a dead horse. Besse is a Badger, they wanted him, Gophers did not. Good Luck to Grant, let's move on. Gopher Blog, you seem to know a lot about the Gophers, tell us why haven't they signed any defensemen in so long. Seems from the BC game that they are lacking in strong defensive/ defensemen. Are they pursuing any of the top defense coming out of the Minnesota High School Senior class? Seems like they have announced a lot of forwards as late, but no defense. Your knowledge??
This is a post about Grant Besse, not about Gopher's defensemen. If you want to talk about the Gopher's defense, go to the college forum. Lots of good talk there about Brady Skjei and Mike Reilly.

flatontheice

Post by flatontheice » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:57 am

keepyourheadup wrote:Clearly the best player on the ice in the fall elite league? I hope this is not one of your facts. He was among the best but not "clearly" the best.
Let me clarify as I am not slighting any other kids. The first weekend of the Elite League he was the best player on the ice and that was a consensus opinion of multiple college coaches and NHL and Junior scouts. I can see where you thought I meant the entire Elite League Season by the way I wrote it. I don't think he was the top player over all in the Elite League this year and agree that he was in the top group.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:10 am

JDUBBS1280 wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
JDUBBS1280 wrote:

](*,)

Don't even try to tell me the Gophers wouldn't be in a recruiting battle for him now if he hadn't gave a verbal.

It's like trying to say a fat kid wouldn't want some ice cream if the option wasn't there..

Would you say that Minnesota wouldn't still be interested if Cammarata gave a verbal at 15?

Just showing your blindness. :D

JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:18 am

MrBoDangles wrote:
JDUBBS1280 wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
JDUBBS1280 wrote:

](*,)

Don't even try to tell me the Gophers wouldn't be in a recruiting battle for him now if he hadn't gave a verbal.

It's like trying to say a fat kid wouldn't want some ice cream if the option wasn't there..

Would you say that Minnesota wouldn't still be interested if Cammarata gave a verbal at 15?

Just showing your blindness. :D
I don't think the Gophers were, or are at this point even, looking for another top-end, small sized forward to bring in for 2013 or 2014. They have filled their quota on those.

You seem to think this is some sort of LaLa Land where you bring in 45 players who fit the same mold and you magically win with that. Not how it works. It's been explained to you a dozen times, but you seem to be too dense to get it.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:05 pm

Besse WILL be the best senior in the state next year.

Do you really think the Gophers would pass on the BEST senior in the state? Have they EVER? The answer is NO... So there is your ANSWER. :idea:

You better stamp idiot on your forehead.

Try to keep it to a civil conversation next time.

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:14 pm

He very well might be but if Gross sticks around he's every bit as good.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:15 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:Besse WILL be the best senior in the state next year.

Do you really think the Gophers would pass on the BEST senior in the state? Have they EVER? The answer is NO... So there is your ANSWER. :idea:

The answer is yes: They passed on Ryan McDonagh and Jake Gardiner!

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:23 pm

mulefarm wrote:

Talking about while in high school. Many players go on to mature and develop at different rates in college.... Like your two great examples.

Many star in the USHL and then flop.
Many star in high school and then flop

Things would be easy if we knew who was going to make the NHL while in HS. :idea: :wink:

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:42 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:Do you really think the Gophers would pass on the BEST senior in the state? Have they EVER? The answer is NO... So there is your ANSWER.
I really don't want to get involved in this because it is a rather tired topic and a waste of energy to argue about given it is all water under the bridge anyway... but the above does deserve a little feedback.

While Besse may end up being the best senior playing HS hockey next year, recruiting is not limited to that realm alone. There are players in that graduating class that will not be playing MN HS hockey next year that are better than Besse. The Gophers landed some of those kids before Besse even made his decision.

Second, whether an individual player is offered a scholarship depends on the team needs at a specific time. When Besse was making his decision, the Gophers had already lined up a number of very skilled smaller forwards that will play the same kind of role that Besse would. When you only have 18 scholarships to divvy up among 25 or so players, you have to use them wisely. At some point, you have to balance your roster out with other types of players. That's how it is when building a team.

When you get commitments from some really good players, it means the door is going to be closed on some other good players. Obviously some very good kids play hockey at schools other than the U. They can't monopolize them all. The coach at the U can't offer every good player in this state a roster spot. There simply aren't enough scholarships or opportunities to do that. Some choices have to be made and that's that.

JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:51 pm

So, the only hockey players the Gophers are recruiting are playing MNHS hockey? Really? That's what you want to go with?

Cammarata, Fasching, Guertler. None playing MNHS hockey next year. All I would say are better than Besse.

In MNHS hockey, I don't even think you can say Besse would be the runaway best player. Lettieri, Guentzel, ect.. are great players too.

The Besse love has officially reached asinine proportions.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:29 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:
mulefarm wrote:

Talking about while in high school. Many players go on to mature and develop at different rates in college.... Like your two great examples.

Many star in the USHL and then flop.
Many star in high school and then flop

Things would be easy if we knew who was going to make the NHL while in HS. :idea: :wink:
I was talking about in high school.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:23 pm

Gopher Blog wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:Do you really think the Gophers would pass on the BEST senior in the state? Have they EVER? The answer is NO... So there is your ANSWER.
I really don't want to get involved in this because it is a rather tired topic and a waste of energy to argue about given it is all water under the bridge anyway... but the above does deserve a little feedback.

While Besse may end up being the best senior playing HS hockey next year, recruiting is not limited to that realm alone. There are players in that graduating class that will not be playing MN HS hockey next year that are better than Besse. The Gophers landed some of those kids before Besse even made his decision.

Second, whether an individual player is offered a scholarship depends on the team needs at a specific time. When Besse was making his decision, the Gophers had already lined up a number of very skilled smaller forwards that will play the same kind of role that Besse would. When you only have 18 scholarships to divvy up among 25 or so players, you have to use them wisely. At some point, you have to balance your roster out with other types of players. That's how it is when building a team.

When you get commitments from some really good players, it means the door is going to be closed on some other good players. Obviously some very good kids play hockey at schools other than the U. They can't monopolize them all. The coach at the U can't offer every good player in this state a roster spot. There simply aren't enough scholarships or opportunities to do that. Some choices have to be made and that's that.
I'm talking at JDUBB KNOWING that the Gophers wouldn't be interested if he was still available. How could you say for sure when the Gophers have known he's been locked in for so long? And how easy is it for you homers(kindly) to say now?

"Too many skilled players!" "Yep, good thing we have Nanne coming in."

Look at what all the skilled finishers at Boston College did to your boys. It looked to me like you tried to match them with "role" players.

Now bring on the circle talk........... :roll:

sachishi4

Post by sachishi4 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:31 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:
Gopher Blog wrote:

I'm talking at JDUBB KNOWING that the Gophers wouldn't be interested if he was still available. How could you say for sure when the Gophers have known he's been locked in for so long? And how easy is it for you homers(kindly) to say now?

Look at what all the skilled finishers at Boston College did to your boys. It looked to me like you tried to match them with "role" players.

Maybe, just maybe, Lucia knew Besse wasn't interested, making the gophers un-interested. Besse played in Wayzata, with Lucias son, so maybe the Gophs have known for awhile.
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:50 pm

sachishi4 wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
Gopher Blog wrote:

Maybe, just maybe, Lucia knew Besse wasn't interested, making the gophers un-interested. Besse played in Wayzata, with Lucias son, so maybe the Gophs have known for awhile.
Maybe, just maybe, JDubb is Lucia....... :shock: :wink:

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:53 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:And how easy is it for you homers(kindly) to say now?
It was talked about before he had even committed anywhere. Maybe not to your knowledge but you aren't going to be privy to every conversation so it is easy to make it seem like it is being said after the fact.

Like I said, not every good player is going to go to the U. The Gophers have a finite amount of opportunities and scholarships. Go for the best fit and move on. Some good kids will end up elsewhere. That's the way it goes.
You seem to be of the mentality that the way you build a top team is by recruiting a bunch of scorers and then make some of them play roles they aren't adept at. That typically doesn't work well. You don't take a 5'10 offensive minded kid that isn't very physical and doesn't play a lot of defense and then bring him into college and expect him to play a checking line role. That's typically a recipe for failure. That's why you bring in different players with different skill sets.

Bringing up Nanne is rather ridiculous when we all know he is being brought in to play a much different role in college than what Besse is.

18 scholarships to offer means some kids don't get the same interest as others. It doesn't mean they are bad players by any means though. But a team has to aim for what they feel is the best fit. But you apparently think that Don Lucia is supposed to offer 50 scholarships despite the reality he only has 18 to work with. :lol:

JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:23 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:
Gopher Blog wrote:

The fact that you keep bringing Nanne's name up really shows just how little you understand college recruiting.

Last time. You can't recruit all high-end forwards. You need guys who will buy in to playing on a lower line, checking type of role. Guys who won't complain when they don't get power play time.

Nanne fits that role. Are you saying Besse does too? Because each time you bring up Nanne's name in reference to there not being enough room for Besse, you're either saying you think they're similar players, or you're demonstrating how very little you understand college recruiting.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:45 pm

Gopher Blog wrote:
It was talked about before he had even committed anywhere. Maybe not to your knowledge but you aren't going to be privy to every conversation so it is easy to make it seem like it is being said after the fact.

Like I said, not every good player is going to go to the U. The Gophers have a finite amount of opportunities and scholarships. Go for the best fit and move on. Some good kids will end up elsewhere. That's the way it goes.
You seem to be of the mentality that the way you build a top team is by recruiting a bunch of scorers and then make some of them play roles they aren't adept at. That typically doesn't work well. You don't take a 5'10 offensive minded kid that isn't very physical and doesn't play a lot of defense and then bring him into college and expect him to play a checking line role. That's typically a recipe for failure. That's why you bring in different players with different skill sets.

Bringing up Nanne is rather ridiculous when we all know he is being brought in to play a much different role in college than what Besse is.

18 scholarships to offer means some kids don't get the same interest as others. It doesn't mean they are bad players by any means though. But a team has to aim for what they feel is the best fit. But you apparently think that Don Lucia is supposed to offer 50 scholarships despite the reality he only has 18 to work with. :lol:

I've seen your posts about copying the Boston model of bringing in more small/faster finishers that won't leave for the NHL in a year or two.

Do you think a bunch of explosive scorers (Besse's) are going to get outmatched by the "role" playing (Nanne's)? How bout we set up a game and watch? I know there are players with a fine knack for disrupting play, but I'm just not seeing it here.

You also don't take a 5'9 name that can't bury a puck and has hs teammates a year or two younger that are more physical and is outclassed by these same underclassmen. Just a mimic of your sentence on Besse. :D

JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:56 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:
Gopher Blog wrote:

I've seen your posts about copying the Boston model of bringing in more small/faster finishers that won't leave for the NHL in a year or two.

Do you think a bunch of explosive scorers (Besse's) are going to get outmatched by the "role" playing (Nanne's)? How bout we set up a game and watch? I know there are players with a fine knack for disrupting play, but I'm just not seeing it here.

You also don't take a 5'9 name that can't bury a puck and has hs teammates a year or two younger that are more physical and is outclassed by these same underclassmen. Just a mimic of your sentence on Besse. :D
MrBoJangles is either a bit, or he's the most utterly dense person on this planet. Let's see how many times, and how many different ways, we can explain why Lou Nanne and Grant Besse will never fill the same recruiting spot on a team before this bozo gets it.

Who's up next? :D

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:04 pm

JDUBBS1280 wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
Gopher Blog wrote:

The fact that you keep bringing Nanne's name up really shows just how little you understand college recruiting.

Last time. You can't recruit all high-end forwards. You need guys who will buy in to playing on a lower line, checking type of role. Guys who won't complain when they don't get power play time.

Nanne fits that role. Are you saying Besse does too? Because each time you bring up Nanne's name in reference to there not being enough room for Besse, you're either saying you think they're similar players, or you're demonstrating how very little you understand college recruiting.
JDUMB1280,

So it's in the best interest to not have a 2nd and 3rd line almost as potent as the first?

So we need to find guys that will BUY into playing third line..?

And recruit guys that won't complain about thinking their skilled enough to play power play...

Are you a crack smoker?

:shock: See ya!

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:01 pm

MrBoDangles wrote: Do you think a bunch of explosive scorers (Besse's) are going to get outmatched by the "role" playing (Nanne's)?
I think a team with a balance is going to beat a team that is filled with offensive minded players.

The Gophers NCAA championships teams had players like Waibel, Smaagaard, Jake Fleming, etc. Good two way players that were not going to blow anybody away with skill. They could match up well against other teams best players even if they weren't as skilled as them. Look at any championship team and you'll see similar players.

IIRC, you are a SCSU fan so I guess I shouldn't be shocked at your take on what it takes to build a champion. 8)
When it doesn't cost you and helps build out depth, it doesn't hurt to add a character player that is willing to do the dirty work. I'd agree with your take if the kid was getting some ample level of scholarship. That's not happening though.

JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:10 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:
JDUBBS1280 wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
Gopher Blog wrote:

JDUMB1280,

So it's in the best interest to not have a 2nd and 3rd line almost as potent as the first?

So we need to find guys that will BUY into playing third line..?

And recruit guys that won't complain about thinking their skilled enough to play power play...

Are you a crack smoker?

:shock: See ya!
](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

BTW - Love the insults. Did wonders for proving your point (or lack thereof) :roll: