Grant Besse

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:50 pm

minnscout wrote:Why do people say he is a floater?
Not throwing Besse under the bus here, but Pauly had a lot of his players float yesterday. Just sayin'.

8)
The Puck
LGW

green4

Post by green4 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:26 pm

PuckU126 wrote:
minnscout wrote:Why do people say he is a floater?
Not throwing Besse under the bus here, but Pauly had a lot of his players float yesterday. Just sayin'.

8)
yes pauly floats many players, laboskey's hat trick goal against lakeville was one that was a pretty clear example to me. up like 7-0 or 8-0 at the time on the penalty kill and laboskey is floating at the red line

green4

Post by green4 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:30 pm

puck81 wrote:
green4 wrote:definitly not the best in the state. not hard to score when you float all game. against edina he was not as good as Horn for Benilde and Hurley for Edina
He wasn't floating on any of the 5 goals he scored last night Mr. Green (with envy). Sure he should have passed the puck on that 2 on 1 but your criticism of that unbelievable performance last night is all sour grapes. I guess if you ever win the lottery one day you'll complain that it wasn't $20 million instead of just $10 million. :P
that comment was at the time when he had one goal in that game, your right he was not floating on any of those, he just out skated guys. but i did not criticize his performance in that game.

youngblood08

Post by youngblood08 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:04 pm

Let us not forget 3 of those goals were when his team was SHORT-HANDED!!! He jumped on loose pucks in his own defensive zone 3x's how is that "floating" the other two were plays in Hill's end of the rink.

Govie

Post by Govie » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:32 pm

PuckU126 wrote:
Govie wrote:There's a tremendous amount of loyalty by JHS standards over the years. Must be an East Side/Herb Brooks thing. :?

Just face it, rich boy/private schoolers have a sense of entitlement.
Over the years, eh?

Is it true that Johnson alums still hate HM because they "took" a number of their players in the 1970s? Where's the public school loyalty there?

In recent years, well... I wouldn't say JHS is a huge feeder of talent to junior and college teams.

Just face it, ALL players (private, public, rich, poor) have a sense of entitlement.

8)
Way to rub in the fact that the school is 80+% minority now and therefore the interest in the game is almost history. Does that please you? Probably the greatest inner-city program in the history of the United States of America is dying...are you happy now?

We lost players to Hill (the Strobels never should have left in the 90s or Johnson would have had a couple more titles) so I will give you that, but Hill is literally on the East Side anyway, so it's not as egregious an offense. Heck, some kids lived on the St.Paul side of White Bear on the border but were literally in walking distance.

Govie

Post by Govie » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:35 pm

All Spehar ever did was float, which all this talk reminds me of. Anyway...

As far as Besse, I didn't see a lot of floating, but those three shorties alone are enough to make that an epic effort on his part. Nanne himself said he never in his life remember anyone anywhere getting three shorties.

Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:10 am

How many total points did Besse have for the tournament?
I can splash in the rink puddles!

mnhockey30

Post by mnhockey30 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:17 am

Nostalgic Nerd wrote:How many total points did Besse have for the tournament?
11 Points 3,3, and 5

EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:02 am

Why not go to the USHL? He won a AA State Championship and scored 5 goals in the final. Got nothing left to prove and there won't be a better way to go out.

#16 on H-M was a hack all game. I said early in the game he was bound to get into something with the way he was looking for confrontation after the whistle.

So what if Besse was floating? That means H-M should have had a better chance in the offensive zone or done something defensively to stop it. He exploited it big time.

:idea:
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls

PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:16 am

Govie wrote:Way to rub in the fact that the school is 80+% minority now and therefore the interest in the game is almost history.
I never uttered any status nor statistics about JHS current student body, and how their student body consists of mostly minorities. However, I understand your point about why their program is unfortunately and sadly dwindling.
Govie wrote:Does that please you? Probably the greatest inner-city program in the history of the United States of America is dying...are you happy now?
Hell no. I think its a bloody shame JHS' hockey program is on the cusp of either disappearing or merging with another organization. I certainly do wish they were the powerhouse program they once were in the 60's, 70's, etc.

I was merely stating that your post egregiously indicated that only private school players show no loyalty and have a sense of entitlement. You neglected to include public school players because some of them are just as guilty.

8)
The Puck
LGW

PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:22 am

EREmpireStrikesBack wrote:Why not go to the USHL? He won a AA State Championship and scored 5 goals in the final. Got nothing left to prove and there won't be a better way to go out.
Nah.

Stay one more year. Be a Mr. Hockey finalist and maybe be voted so. But most importantly, get your HS diploma from BSM (looks good on a résumé). Then move on to the next level for your hockey career.

8)
The Puck
LGW

This is nuts!

Post by This is nuts! » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:52 am

As a coach the point of the game is to score more goals then the other team. I personally didn't think Besse was floating with 3 short handed goals, but if I could float my best player and he scores a handfull of goals, im gonna do it. It s up to the other team to defend it and it isn't hard to defend.

A big part of the game is getting your best players the puck in space and if that means floating by all means do it until the other team stops it. Put a good forecheck on a team and I garentee the floating will stop...

Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:14 am

mnhockey30 wrote:
11 Points 3,3, and 5
How many assists?
I can splash in the rink puddles!

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:00 am

Nostalgic Nerd wrote:
mnhockey30 wrote:
11 Points 3,3, and 5
How many assists?
Why does it matter?

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:02 am

I was at the Gopher game, so I didnt' see this game. There are quite a few accusations of Besse floating. If anybody should be able to stop floating, it is the masters of it.

Govie

Post by Govie » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:06 am

PuckU126 wrote:
Govie wrote:Way to rub in the fact that the school is 80+% minority now and therefore the interest in the game is almost history.
I never uttered any status nor statistics about JHS current student body, and how their student body consists of mostly minorities. However, I understand your point about why their program is unfortunately and sadly dwindling.
Govie wrote:Does that please you? Probably the greatest inner-city program in the history of the United States of America is dying...are you happy now?
Hell no. I think its a bloody shame JHS' hockey program is on the cusp of either disappearing or merging with another organization. I certainly do wish they were the powerhouse program they once were in the 60's, 70's, etc.

I was merely stating that your post egregiously indicated that only private school players show no loyalty and have a sense of entitlement. You neglected to include public school players because some of them are just as guilty.

8)
Fair enough. But just remember, Hill is SO close to the East Side it is almost an East Side institution as well. I can remember more than a few kids I grew up playing with that defected when they hit HS level. It would be interesting to find out how many hockey players Hill has suited up over the years that were molded in the Hawks' ranks. I'd be willing to bet the most out of any area over the years indeed did grow up on the ES.

mnhockey30

Post by mnhockey30 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:30 am

Nostalgic Nerd wrote:
mnhockey30 wrote:
11 Points 3,3, and 5
How many assists?
3 Assists 8 Goals

starmvp

Post by starmvp » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:12 pm

The kid can flat out score! He impresses me almost every time I watch him play! I wish I would have taken my time back-checking to my D-zone when I played... Probably would have scored more.... :wink: Anyways... I hope he comes back next year!

PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:12 pm

Govie wrote:But just remember, Hill is SO close to the East Side it is almost an East Side institution as well.
:lol:

I've already thought of it as an East Side institution, so I agree with you on that one.

8)
The Puck
LGW

Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:33 pm

EREmpireStrikesBack wrote:Why not go to the USHL? He won a AA State Championship and scored 5 goals in the final. Got nothing left to prove and there won't be a better way to go out.

#16 on H-M was a hack all game. I said early in the game he was bound to get into something with the way he was looking for confrontation after the whistle.

So what if Besse was floating? That means H-M should have had a better chance in the offensive zone or done something defensively to stop it. He exploited it big time.

Careful! I was flamed in another thread for calling him a goon.

Govie

Post by Govie » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:33 pm

PuckU126 wrote:
Govie wrote:But just remember, Hill is SO close to the East Side it is almost an East Side institution as well.
:lol:

I've already thought of it as an East Side institution, so I agree with you on that one.

8)
Sure is. Heck Moose Younghans' nephew even went there. Turncoat mothereffer! :?

Govie

Post by Govie » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:34 pm

Mite-dad wrote:

Careful! I was flamed in another thread for calling him a goon.
lol, we just have different opinions on the matter.

puck81

Post by puck81 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:17 pm

Why not try and win a back to back state title? Tall order but a definate challenge. He can also go for the Mr. Hockey award as someone else allready stated. I think Kyle Rau did the right thing by changing his mind and staying at EP his senior year. You can't ever get that last high school year back if you go off to the USHL. I think Mr. Besse will do just fine at Wisconsin without jumping to the USHL. Some of those USHL coaches promise the moon to these young kids as far as playing time, etc., etc. and then when they start the season all those promises go right out the window and the kid is wishing he would have never left high school in the first place.

Tenoverpar

uuu

Post by Tenoverpar » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:26 pm

how can anyone rip a kid that just put up a 5 spot in the State Championship game. If this was last year and it was RAU you idiots would have made a bronze statue of his stick...if this was the all loving Jake Randolph there would be a change from Canal Park to Randolph Park...I mean, come on people...yes, the kid is at a private school, yes his school happens to bring in some pretty good players....but honestly for some of you to say anything negative about a kid who just did what Besse did is ridiculously pathetic.

Congrats Grant on your team winning the State Championship

mulefarm

Re: uuu

Post by mulefarm » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:46 pm

Tenoverpar wrote:how can anyone rip a kid that just put up a 5 spot in the State Championship game. If this was last year and it was RAU you idiots would have made a bronze statue of his stick...if this was the all loving Jake Randolph there would be a change from Canal Park to Randolph Park...I mean, come on people...yes, the kid is at a private school, yes his school happens to bring in some pretty good players....but honestly for some of you to say anything negative about a kid who just did what Besse did is ridiculously pathetic.

Congrats Grant on your team winning the State Championship
Right on! If Besse was going to the U, people would be wetting their pants over his performance. How can people not appreciate an unbelieveable game, something they probably will never see again!