Pauly & Plante named Coach of the Year

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

BlueLineSpecial

Re: Lechner

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

Obviously the majority of Pauly's coaching peers disagree with you. Not many of the "experts" gave BSM much of a chance to win their section, much less State. And naturally, many of the same "experts" now say the team was loaded with talent, so no wonder they won, and coaching had very little to do with their success. :roll:[/quote]

I recall hearing a lot about how good BSM would be before the start of last year; they were consistently mentioned as a top-5 teamfrom the circles I was in. But you're right, a lot of these guys can't win. If they don't do well, people say he's a bad coach because he's got all the talent in the world and couldn't win. Then if they win, people say he didn't have to do anything, what with all the talent.

At the end of the day, I could have seen it easily going to Hill's coach, or a handful of others. But Pauly had to coach that team through some real adversity, come out of the toughest section in the state (in my opinion) and got his team playing D at the right time. I think he was the right choice.
PuckLife

Post by PuckLife »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
Wallyworld wrote:....what really did the BSM coach do? Get 6-7 division 1 players to play together?
Obviously the majority of Pauly's coaching peers disagree with you. Not many of the "experts" gave BSM much of a chance to win their section, much less State. And naturally, many of the same "experts" now say the team was loaded with talent, so no wonder they won, and coaching had very little to do with their success. :roll:
Yeah couldn't agree more, Benilde was the 3 seed going into their section they definitely had a difficult road getting to state. I don't remember people talking about how stacked they were going into the year. Plus I think Pauly himslef (let alone the team) had a very difficult time handling the scenario with Jablonski. I don't like seeing top schools get the award a lot, but I think Pauly deserved it this year
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

[quote=I don't remember people talking about how stacked they were going into the year. [/quote]

Really? They were generally considered a top team prior to the start of the season. Pauly did a nice job keeping it all together,and peaking them at the right time, but let's not re-invent history to such a degree. Karl had them ranked #3 in his preseason preview:

http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 93&start=0
skipperj

Post by skipperj »

Pucklife, you bored? let it go man.... let it go.
Goalie-Dad

Post by Goalie-Dad »

HShockeywatcher wrote:Congrats to both coaches; both had great seasons.
Goalie-Dad wrote:Any coach of Hill Murray, BSM, St Thomas, etc should rarily be considered for coach of the year. They are handed the top players in the state and are expected not to mess things up too much. BSM's unique situation this year does give credence to Pauly's nomination.
These comments are made yearly and others similar. I don't want to say they are incorrect (as the premise isn't), but in general, how many teams win with bad players?

To those of you that have that opinion, what makes a good coach?
I don't have a personal opinion on too many coaches, but I would think the coaching is likely part of the reason they are "handed" so many top players. It's similar are good public schools. Many stay in their program, strong or weak, because of the coaching.
You are missing the fourth (and most important) sentence of my comment. In addition to wins and loses, the following questions / criteria should be part of the selection. Does the coach attend youth games and practices, does the coach participate in youth coaching selections and systems, is the coach washing cars and bagging groceries at fund raisers?
flatontheice

Post by flatontheice »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
Wallyworld wrote:....what really did the BSM coach do? Get 6-7 division 1 players to play together?
Obviously the majority of Pauly's coaching peers disagree with you. Not many of the "experts" gave BSM much of a chance to win their section, much less State. And naturally, many of the same "experts" now say the team was loaded with talent, so no wonder they won, and coaching had very little to do with their success. :roll:
Not sure what train u just stepped off but there was no one in the coaching ranks that said BSM wouldn't win this year. After the elite league it was consensus they would (and should) win their section as the other schools couldn't keep up recruiting wise

I also think its appropriate for the coaches to give a guy coach of the year who can prove during the season the ability to coach his team into a frenzy and stomp opponents by a 20 or so goal margin. It sets the bar for next years "coach of the year" :lol:
OnFrozenPond

Post by OnFrozenPond »

PuckLife wrote:
Yeah couldn't agree more, Benilde was the 3 seed going into their section they definitely had a difficult road getting to state.
I hate to pile on, but they played Holy Family and Armstrong before knocking off Minnetonka. One quality win to get to state is hardly a difficult road.
PuckLife

Post by PuckLife »

OnFrozenPond wrote:
PuckLife wrote:
Yeah couldn't agree more, Benilde was the 3 seed going into their section they definitely had a difficult road getting to state.
I hate to pile on, but they played Holy Family and Armstrong before knocking off Minnetonka.
One quality win to get to state is hardly a difficult road.
Armstrong upset EP, If you were in attendence at the BSM vs. Armstrong game you would have realized how it was no walk in the park, also not many teams had to play a top 3 team to get in, the only other AA tough game I thought was the Burnsville vs. Edina game, my point is both coaches deserved it and congrats to them and sorry SkipperJ just saw a topic and thought why not comment on it, sorry
skipperj

Post by skipperj »

a thread that had been put to rest for almost two months. No worries. Stay in step while marching with the red knights.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

flatontheice wrote:Not sure what train u just stepped off but there was no one in the coaching ranks that said BSM wouldn't win this year. After the elite league it was consensus they would (and should) win their section as the other schools couldn't keep up recruiting wise
Note that I was responding to another poster and that I merely stated the obvious...that Pauly was selected by his coaching peers as Coach of the Year. Sorry I can't agree that individual critics on this Board are a lot smarter than the consensus of all the coaches. They obviously don't know anything! Pauly definitely exceeded expectations to win the section (note they where they were seeded) and then at State (note again where they were (un)seeded.
flatontheice wrote:I also think its appropriate for the coaches to give a guy coach of the year who can prove during the season the ability to coach his team into a frenzy and stomp opponents by a 20 or so goal margin. It sets the bar for next years "coach of the year" :lol:
:roll:

Yes, they have been in a very weak conference where some blowouts have been inevitable, but starting next season there'll be a big change. In case you might have missed it, they will no longer be playing a conference schedule for boys hockey. As a result, my guess is that their overall SOS will be one of the most difficult in the State. As they will no longer be playing teams they can roll over by 10 or more goals, this should help develop and become a stronger team by the end of the regular season.
flatontheice

Post by flatontheice »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
flatontheice wrote:Not sure what train u just stepped off but there was no one in the coaching ranks that said BSM wouldn't win this year. After the elite league it was consensus they would (and should) win their section as the other schools couldn't keep up recruiting wise
Note that I was responding to another poster and that I merely stated the obvious...that Pauly was selected by his coaching peers as Coach of the Year. Sorry I can't agree that individual critics on this Board are a lot smarter than the consensus of all the coaches. They obviously don't know anything! Pauly definitely exceeded expectations to win the section (note they where they were seeded) and then at State (note again where they were (un)seeded.
flatontheice wrote:I also think its appropriate for the coaches to give a guy coach of the year who can prove during the season the ability to coach his team into a frenzy and stomp opponents by a 20 or so goal margin. It sets the bar for next years "coach of the year" :lol:
:roll:

Yes, they have been in a very weak conference where some blowouts have been inevitable, but starting next season there'll be a big change. In case you might have missed it, they will no longer be playing a conference schedule for boys hockey. As a result, my guess is that their overall SOS will be one of the most difficult in the State. As they will no longer be playing teams they can roll over by 10 or more goals, this should help develop and become a stronger team by the end of the regular season.
No chance that their strength of schedule will be one of the toughest in the state. I am sure it will still be self-proclaimed as one of the toughest but too many teams wont play them....just watch.
Wside

BSM schedule

Post by Wside »

Looks like a cakewalk:
Moorhead,Hill,Burnsville, MG,Hibbing,STA, Wayzata,Rapids,Elk River,Shattuck,EP and Tonka plus one of the best Christmas tournaments around.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Complete BSM schedule is here: http://nsconference.org/g5-bin/client.c ... &category=

Probably not the most difficult schedule in the state--the quality seems to drop off some later in the season, when other teams are wrapped up in conference play--but it's probably among the ten most difficult, if not in the top five. In other words, exactly like Duluth East's experiences with an independent schedule over the past 12 years.
PuckLife

Post by PuckLife »

skipperj wrote:a thread that had been put to rest for almost two months. No worries.
Stay in step while marching with the red knights.
Sorry Man as you can see I just created my account so I didn't realize the thread has been done, anyway judging by your name I can see your not handling the lost to Benilde very well
skipperj

Post by skipperj »

even a nerd gets lucky ever once in awhile on prom night. Red knights going down next year says the skipper.
ripping1

Post by ripping1 »

Skipperj why the sour grapes? BSM outplayed Tonka plain and simple. True next year is a new year and anything is possible. Maybe Tonka will win it in 2013. Who knows. These are all good teams. FYI Tonka does there fair share of recruiting and anyone that thinks they don't has blinders on.
celly93

Post by celly93 »

ripping1 wrote:Skipperj why the sour grapes? BSM outplayed Tonka plain and simple. True next year is a new year and anything is possible. Maybe Tonka will win it in 2013. Who knows. These are all good teams. FYI Tonka does there fair share of recruiting and anyone that thinks they don't has blinders on.
He's a troll
skipperj

Post by skipperj »

Oh no, don't call me a troll. Anything but that. Maybe I should call you a bully then. That seems to be a good buzz word also. Can't someone razz another team a little, have some good fun, create more rivalry without being called names. Your the troll.... Hands down.