AA Medal Ceremony

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

bluelinetripper

AA Medal Ceremony

Post by bluelinetripper » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:24 pm

We were unable to attend the hockey tournament this year, I know that whenyou watch via TV you miss out on a lot. We didn't see Jack Jablonski on the ice nor did we see him receive a medal. I do know that he was sick with the flu, was that part of the reason? Also heard they wouldn't let Horton back out on the ice to take a picture.

ihatethestlblues

Post by ihatethestlblues » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:32 pm

both have these have been addressed in the post about horton after the game...

MSHSL rules indicate that a player who is ejected cannot partake in a medal ceremony... which I think is legit.

word is that they wouldn't let jabs on the ice...
formerly got puck 2345, actually don't hate the blues

bluelinetripper

Post by bluelinetripper » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:48 pm

It would have been nice to see Jack get to join his team and receive a medal.

Makes total sense about Horton.

mightyknight

Post by mightyknight » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:55 pm

Though jack was of great inspiration to the Benilde team he was a member of their jv.

PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:00 pm

mightyknight wrote:Though jack was of great inspiration to the Benilde team he was a member of their jv.
You are correct. It was right for only the players to receive their awards during the ceremony.

8)
The Puck
LGW

hockeyman84

Post by hockeyman84 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:02 pm

mightyknight wrote:Though jack was of great inspiration to the Benilde team he was a member of their jv.
He was a 4th liner meaning he suited up for every varsity game and was just getting some extra time on JV. He definitely would have been on the varsity playoff roster.

hockeydad

Post by hockeydad » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:22 pm

Was Jack on the 20-man roster for the tournament? The league only allows official team members in the bench area and on the ice.

EHSHack

Post by EHSHack » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:37 pm

Pretty sure he was on the 20 man roster.
Go Hounds.

PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:49 pm

hockeydad wrote:Was Jack on the 20-man roster for the tournament? The league only allows official team members in the bench area and on the ice.
EHSHack wrote:Pretty sure he was on the 20 man roster.
No, Jack was not on the 20 man roster.

8)
The Puck
LGW

Oldtimehockeyguy23

Post by Oldtimehockeyguy23 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:00 pm

hockeyman84 wrote:
He was a 4th liner meaning he suited up for every varsity game and was just getting some extra time on JV. He definitely would have been on the varsity playoff roster.
Same with Nick Lauth who had mono. He would have been on the roster but wasn't and didn't get a medal.

EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:57 am

Wasn't on the roster.

Wasn't on the ice.

Can't change that.

He got a medal and his team won it all.

:idea:
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls

rudy

medal

Post by rudy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:01 pm

Strib blog on the subject. keep checking back. BSM sposed to be commenting yet today:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/142345035.html

rudy

medal

Post by rudy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:04 pm

it was for insurance reasons. click on this update:

almostashappy

Re: medal

Post by almostashappy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:20 pm

rudy wrote:it was for insurance reasons. click on this update:

In order to make sure the $2 million Lifetime Catastrophic Insurance policy the League purchases for each athlete was not at risk, the League's insurance carrier was contacted. I was informed that if an accident of any type would have occurred, the insurance claim may well have been jeopardized.

I call BS.

MSHSL carries insurance against injuries of its athletes. Jack Jablonski was not an "athlete," so if he was injured during the award ceremony, then a claim would rightfully be denied...just like a claim would be denied if an MSHSL officials, or the cameraman, or any one else out on the ice not wearing skates was injured. Are you telling me that MSHSL didn't have insurance in case one of the suits slipped on the ice and bumped his head? :evil:

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:32 pm

almostashappy wrote:Are you telling me that MSHSL didn't have insurance in case one of the suits slipped on the ice and bumped his head? :evil:
I'm guessing they purchase LIABILITY insurance that covers them for allegations of negligence that result in bodily injury to spectators and other non-athletes in attendance, but the article is referencing something else...a special catastrophic MEDICAL policy carried on behalf of athletes that suffer injuries even though the MSHSL is not negligent or at fault in any way. Apples and oranges!

almostashappy

Post by almostashappy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:48 pm

MNHockeyFan wrote:
almostashappy wrote:Are you telling me that MSHSL didn't have insurance in case one of the suits slipped on the ice and bumped his head? :evil:
I'm guessing they purchase LIABILITY insurance that covers them for allegations of negligence that result in bodily injury to spectators and other non-athletes in attendance, but the article is referencing something else...a special catastrophic MEDICAL policy carried on behalf of athletes that suffer injuries even though the MSHSL is not negligent or at fault in any way. Apples and oranges!
Yes, I recognize the differences...that's exactly my point.

If the person passing out the medals slipped and fell and cracked their head, a liability insurance policy would shield MSHSL from a claim...just like they would be shielded if Jabs had gotten injured while on the ice during the medal ceremony. In neither case would the policy they carry affect the catastrophic medical policy coverage for the athletes out there Saturday night. So why is that MEDICAL policy even relevant?

Maybe it is the fact that the catastrophic medical policy was in effect back in December, when Jabs got injured? And somebody got the lawyers involved, threatening that this original claim might be at risk if he went back out on the ice? Speculation, for sure...but the MSHSL's lame and rather nonsensical excuse is the sort of thing that invites speculation.

luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:20 pm

I'm having a hard time understanding the anger directed at MSHSL. Jablonski was not on the roster, is not a coach or student manager. Why should he be in the team photo or be part of the on ice celebration? It would make as much sense to open the doors and let the fans stream onto the ice.

If it was important to BSM that Jack be in the photo or included in the celebration they could have given him a roster spot. I really don't see the problem as in the minds and hearts of anyone who matters Jack will always be tied to the championship. Not to belittle BSM's accomplishment, or Besse's play, but in a couple of years the only thing most people will remember about the 2012 state tournament is Jack Jablonski.

PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:24 pm

luckyEPDad wrote:I'm having a hard time understanding the anger directed at MSHSL. Jablonski was not on the roster, is not a coach or student manager. Why should he be in the team photo or be part of the on ice celebration? It would make as much sense to open the doors and let the fans stream onto the ice.
I second that.

8)
The Puck
LGW

puck81

Post by puck81 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:30 pm

luckyEPDad wrote:I'm having a hard time understanding the anger directed at MSHSL. Jablonski was not on the roster, is not a coach or student manager. Why should he be in the team photo or be part of the on ice celebration? It would make as much sense to open the doors and let the fans stream onto the ice.

If it was important to BSM that Jack be in the photo or included in the celebration they could have given him a roster spot. I really don't see the problem as in the minds and hearts of anyone who matters Jack will always be tied to the championship. Not to belittle BSM's accomplishment, or Besse's play, but in a couple of years the only thing most people will remember about the 2012 state tournament is Jack Jablonski.
Agree with you about him going on the ice. Don't agree with you that the only thing people will remember about the 2012 tourny is Jack. Besse's amazing game in the championship, all four seeded teams getting knocked out in the quarterfinals and just the great run BSM had will be remembered when people think about this year's tourny.

Logiiii

Post by Logiiii » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:51 pm

bluelinetripper wrote:It would have been nice to see Jack get to join his team and receive a medal.

When did they give medals to the JV team?

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:04 pm

luckyEPDad wrote:I'm having a hard time understanding the anger directed at MSHSL.
I don't know about anger, but I can tell you in my eyes it would have been very nice to have the PA announcer read off his name as #13 and have him hit the ice for a medal.

Think about it. Xcel would have gone berserk. Nobody would ever forget. Worried about setting a precedent? I'm not.
Be kind. Rewind.

celly93

Post by celly93 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:10 pm

Logiiii wrote:
bluelinetripper wrote:It would have been nice to see Jack get to join his team and receive a medal.

Everyone thinks he was a JV player because he got hurt playing in a JV game. He played with Hale and Jungels (the third line) at the start of the season but got pushed to the fourth line when Hale got hurt. They played him a couple of periods on JV to make sure he was seeing ice time (which they did with a couple other kids too). Unless his quality of play decreased dramatically, he would've been on the roster. I'm not saying he should or shouldn't be out there, I'm just saying you can't really use the JV argument.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:12 pm

In a couple of years nobody outside of his family, friends, and classmates, will remember Jack Jablonski and Jack will be going through rehab trying his best to live as normal as a life as he can.

That's why he should have been included, he has a very long and very tough road in front of him, doing anything to make any day a bit better should have been the concern. Thay cared enough to change the rules of the game, the least they could have done was let him on the ice.

Sir Snipe Alot

Post by Sir Snipe Alot » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:18 pm

celly93 wrote:
Logiiii wrote:

Everyone thinks he was a JV player because he got hurt playing in a JV game. He played with Hale and Jungels (the third line) at the start of the season but got pushed to the fourth line when Hale got hurt. They played him a couple of periods on JV to make sure he was seeing ice time (which they did with a couple other kids too). Unless his quality of play decreased dramatically, he would've been on the roster. I'm not saying he should or shouldn't be out there, I'm just saying you can't really use the JV argument.
He would have most definitely been on the roster, had he not gotten hurt. I don't recall him being on the 3rd line, as Chumley was the other player on that line till he got hurt a few weeks ago. He was one of those players that plays 2 periods of JV and then goes and dresses with the varisty, usually not seeing much ice time.

I really do not agree with the call the MSHSL made not letting him on the ice. Why was he allowed out after the section finals then? Presenting the Herb Brooks award they let his family on the ice to present it (which I have no problem with). Yet, the player whos number was on everyones Jersey or helmet in the tourney was not allowed. Obviously he didn't play, but I would consider him a much more priority to recieve a reward than the student managers. It would have been just a great finish to the story seeing him coming out on the ice after they won the championship

luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:53 pm

puck81 wrote: Agree with you about him going on the ice. Don't agree with you that the only thing people will remember about the 2012 tourny is Jack. Besse's amazing game in the championship, all four seeded teams getting knocked out in the quarterfinals and just the great run BSM had will be remembered when people think about this year's tourny.
Very few people give a hoot about Besse. I was recently at a hockey related function and only a few remembered his name. To remember someone scored 5 goals in a game you have to actually watch the entire game, pay attention to who scores, and remember from one goal to the next. I think the people who watch hockey that way are a small minority. An impressive accomplishment, but not very memorable to most people.

As for the quarter final upsets, that may be remembered. I'll remember it as an example of how fickle the sport is and how little winning one game means in the scheme of things. How did Lakeville go from overachieving underdog to stinky smelly dog in one day? Was either game representative?

As for the final, yuck! The game was never in doubt. HM passing was never crisp, their attacks often poorly organized, they made some really bad mistakes, and the defense was laughably porous on occasion. Did HM have a bad game, or did BSM make them look that way? I'm thinking the former.

I don't know if this state tournament has legs.