Lucia Model Camp

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Hoc2x21

Lucia Model Camp

Post by Hoc2x21 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:42 am

Can anyone share with me the selection criteria for the Lucia Model Camp. I am just trying to get a little more info than the website offers. Thanks!

observer

Post by observer » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:45 am

Based on the number of applicants and how many teams they're trying to fill. I have never heard of anyone getting their registration, and money, sent back. Generally, a number of very good players participate. If you think your kid fits with that group it is worthwhile.

Hoc2x21

Post by Hoc2x21 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:49 am

observer wrote:Based on the number of applicants and how many teams they're trying to fill. I have never heard of anyone getting their registration, and money, sent back. Generally, a number of very good players participate. If you think your kid fits with that group it is worthwhile.
Observer, Thank You for your input!

ticktacktonka

Post by ticktacktonka » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:41 am

Like most tournaments the Model Camp has become more about making money than selecting the best kids. If your kid wants to do it, he will get in. They are not turning away anyone and the talented kids aren't really participating in this camp anymore--tend to do the USHL camps that are usually the same week.

flatontheice

Post by flatontheice » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:30 pm

ticktacktonka wrote:Like most tournaments the Model Camp has become more about making money than selecting the best kids. If your kid wants to do it, he will get in. They are not turning away anyone and the talented kids aren't really participating in this camp anymore--tend to do the USHL camps that are usually the same week.
They technically cant turn anyone away since settling with NCAA.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:51 pm

flatontheice wrote:
ticktacktonka wrote:Like most tournaments the Model Camp has become more about making money than selecting the best kids. If your kid wants to do it, he will get in. They are not turning away anyone and the talented kids aren't really participating in this camp anymore--tend to do the USHL camps that are usually the same week.
Settling what w/the NCAA?

Hockey North

Post by Hockey North » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:09 pm

I disagree. Looks to me like last years group had quite a few talented players in it.

http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic. ... d26bfe7706

Hoc2x21

Post by Hoc2x21 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:55 pm

Hockey North wrote:I disagree. Looks to me like last years group had quite a few talented players in it.

http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic. ... d26bfe7706
Hoc North, You are correct.The list has a significant amount of talent, many players who I was able watch at the State Tournament. A Mr. Hockey in the pool of talent isn't too shabby.
This camp appears to have credibility considering last years list.

ticktacktonka

Post by ticktacktonka » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:09 pm

Save the $359. This is an over-rated camp. There will be absolutely no scouts there. Your child will get no instruction. IT IS NOT WORTH THE MONEY!!

siberian

Post by siberian » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:20 pm

this camp isnt a waste of time in terms of scouts, scouts definitely show up to this camp and every single team is coached by a college coach. the talent level is high because many top players participate.

bafata88

Post by bafata88 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:52 pm

If a player is not getting recruited by Lucia by the time he plays in the Model Camp, playing in the Model Camp is not going to get him recruited by Lucia. The Model Camp is clearly a money maker [frankly aren't most of the off season camps??]; almost every single kid who wants to play in it will probably get in [unless the player has very little experience and runs the risk of getting hurt or horribly embarassed].

The games are basically varsity level games. The play is good off season hockey. Lots of hockey in a short period of time. Thankfully, Mario Lucia will not be there because Don loaded his son's team with many of the best players and they won most of their games by 5, 6, 7 goals.

If you have the money and you want your kid to play some varsity level hockey games during the summer then do it.

Or you could use the money by buying a bucket of pucks, a net, a goal and a shooting board and tell your kid to hit pucks for 2 or 3 hours a day; and a stick handling ball he can play with while watching tv.

ticktacktonka

Post by ticktacktonka » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:03 am

Our experience with the camp was that there were some talented kids--usually put on Mario Lucia's team but that the majority of players were coming from JV, Bantams and even Jr. Gold. Again, taking anyone to collect the money. IF you want your child to get the best hockey and be seen by the most scouts, do whatever you can to get on the Elite League. NEVER SAW a scout at Model Camp...they were all over the Elites.

siberian

Post by siberian » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:40 am

with our experience, though your claim about lucia's team is correct, the whole WCHA was in attendance along with teams like AFA, Robert Morris, and there are also junior scouts and D-III local scouts there as well. As for your claim about the caliber of players, they all come from varsity, with a few from JV from a top program; there are not too many slouches on the ice.

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:06 pm

I've been in attendance for some of the camp almost every year for the last 11+ years. While the quality of talent can fluctuate to a degree (just like the talent in a birth year can), it has always been a good camp. It is also well attended by college/junior/pro scouts. Some games will be more scouted than others simply because of which players are on the ice at the time but it is definitely a well scouted camp.

I would also say that having Guentzel back in the Gopher program will help matters as he did a lot of the "behind the scenes" work for the camp prior to his departure in spring 2008. Since he was hired after last year's camp was over, this will be his first camp since coming back to the U. I think he takes a lot of pride in making the camp great for the kids so I suspect it will be better than it has been since he left.

flatontheice

Post by flatontheice » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:33 pm

Sats81 wrote:
flatontheice wrote:
Way back when the kids (Top 64) were hand picked by the University to attend, other schools got pissed and turned the gophers into the NCAA and accuses them of using this as an unfair recruiting tool. Thus the name change from Minnesota Model Camp to Don Lucia's Model Camp. So now they can limit the kids only by setting the number of attendees and making it first come first served.

F14

2012 Rosters

Post by F14 » Tue May 22, 2012 12:42 am

Please post schedule and Rosters.

It runs June 11-15 this year.

6 teams total again

capital8

Teams

Post by capital8 » Sat May 26, 2012 4:04 pm

Does anyone out there know the teams for the 2012 MODEL camp? Or does anyone know where I can find them?

mnhunterdave

2012 Team 3

Post by mnhunterdave » Sun May 27, 2012 1:23 pm

Adam Anderson
Brady Barthold
John Chorzempa
Ryan Jutting
Thomas Lindstrom
Nick Manney
Christian Mohs
John O'Connor
Derek Olmschenk
Kevin Olund
Parker Reno
Aaron Rouse
Mitchel Slattery
Michael Stumpf
Tyler Tomberlin
Matt Velasco
Jack Walker

F14

Team #4 EP +

Post by F14 » Tue May 29, 2012 1:02 am

Nick Anderson SPA

Justin Bader Minnetonka

Mason Bergh EP

Zach Bichler Rosemount

Bryson Buckholder Chanhassen

Connor Chambers (Shawn's son) Northern Lakes

Nathan Fischbach St. Michael-Albertville

Ryan Froom St. Louis Park

Otto Haeg Breck

Andrew Knudsen EP

Reid Meyer Litchfield

Brady Schoo

Andrew Scofield Northfield

Luc Snuggerud (Bo's son) EP

Steve Spinner EP

John Sullivan EP

Kyle Theilmann EP

Jalen Wahl Hopkins

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Thu May 31, 2012 4:37 pm

flatontheice wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
flatontheice wrote:
Way back when the kids (Top 64) were hand picked by the University to attend, other schools got pissed and turned the gophers into the NCAA and accuses them of using this as an unfair recruiting tool. Thus the name change from Minnesota Model Camp to Don Lucia's Model Camp. So now they can limit the kids only by setting the number of attendees and making it first come first served.
Right on. When was the last time they actually ran it with the top 64? Late 90's?

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:40 pm

ticktacktonka wrote:Save the $359. This is an over-rated camp. There will be absolutely no scouts there. Your child will get no instruction. IT IS NOT WORTH THE MONEY!!
-Dave Hakstol

F14

Observation

Post by F14 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:49 pm

Yesterday I enjoyed watching Tyler Leddy, Connor Chambers and Stephen Spinner from EP against Edina's Tyler Nanne, Jack Walker and Parker Reno and Tyler Tomberlin and Jutting's kid from Mankato. 3 also has Gavin Payne from Orono going into 10th who has excellent skills and size. Team 4 has 6 or 7 EP kids including Bergh, Thellman, etc. They will be right back up next year. Team 4 won 5-4 in shoot out. Guentzel coaching Team 4. I assume they are looking at Leddy, Spinner and one or two others.

Kind of a tale of two halves. 4 led 3-0 after first half and 3 came out and controlled second half.

Rosters and game times are on www.luciahockeycamps games daily through Friday .

There are 6 total teams this year,

F14

Wednesday Update

Post by F14 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:12 am

Day 3 notes:

Team 6 steamrolled Team 1 6-2 in the first half as Josh Passolt and Marshall Tema from St. Louis Park scored first two goals. Jack Pietruwski from SSP was excellent on Blueline. They dominated play.

They creamed Team 2 by 9-4 margin on Monday and lost in OT to Team 4 Tuesday. 2-1 overall.

Team 4 out scores Team 5 3-2 in the second half to win 6-5 and is 3-0 on the week with two OT wins as well.

Zach Yon from Roseau and Elite League blueliner Matt Nelson from Edina were excellent for 5. Connor Chambers and Tyler Leddy were excellent again for 6 on the Blueline and Fergus Falls won the game with a speed rush and beautiful goal. Froom made two good saves in the last minute to preserve win. Paul Ciaccio from Mtka played first half for 5 and Anderson for 4.

F14

Post by F14 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:29 am

I forgot to mention Steve Spinner who played so well for team 4 on Monday is off the roster and was replaced, perhaps he was injured or had to do something else.

I saw 5-7 scouts including RPI, Mankato, Bill Butters and I believe some junior scouts. I assume more will be coming as A15's in St. Cloud are finishing today.

SuperStar

Post by SuperStar » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:43 am

Good reviews. Spinner along with Snuggerud, Hurley(s) and other from Minnesota are at the Muskegon Camp that started yesterday. Tri City camp is under way a few MN kids out there as well and Des Monies is starting today - probably will see a few more missing from Model camp this week.