Parent Involvement?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Highpost

Parent Involvement?

Post by Highpost » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:24 am

I know parents need to be involved to a point...but I am just wondering which programs are infected the worst? Why and how does this happen? This year I witnessed a parent going into the locker room between periods! I just don't understand a coach letting this happen. Are coaches under that much pressure that they can't say "no"? Or are we just gonna let this happen?

I don't want this to get ugly... Please name the team and explain why or how it got to that point...

BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:45 am

This topic is gonna get shut down quickly :lol:

This has been going on for years, and will continue to happen. Parents dump thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours every year into their children's sporting endeavors. Many of the parents played the very sport their kids are involved in. So, there is an expectation that all that time, money and knowledge translate into playing time, play calling, etc.

Its certainly not just one school and trust me, its not just hockey. I have two friends that coach middle school basketball, and they tell me horror stories of parents; from entering the locker room to confronting them about playing time, to screaming at them DURING a game.

Good luck changing that. Just gotta roll with the punches. The list you're asking for could literally be every team in the state at one point or another. A coaches job is about 35% coaching and 65% politicking.

Jimbo99

Post by Jimbo99 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:54 am

BlueLineSpecial wrote:This topic is gonna get shut down quickly :lol:

This has been going on for years, and will continue to happen. Parents dump thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours every year into their children's sporting endeavors. Many of the parents played the very sport their kids are involved in. So, there is an expectation that all that time, money and knowledge translate into playing time, play calling, etc.

Its certainly not just one school and trust me, its not just hockey. I have two friends that coach middle school basketball, and they tell me horror stories of parents; from entering the locker room to confronting them about playing time, to screaming at them DURING a game.

Good luck changing that. Just gotta roll with the punches. The list you're asking for could literally be every team in the state at one point or another. A coaches job is about 35% coaching and 65% politicking.
Yep, the stakes and the hype are too high and they're getting worse. "All-State" "teams" for bantams? and peewees??!! Give me a break. Those are for parents and it's the parents who will continue to ruin the game.

inthestands

Post by inthestands » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:22 am

The best parental involvement should be at home in the off season..
Help set up a training and skill improvement plan, as well as making sure they have some fun.

Too often we "parents" forget the kids play sports to enjoy themselves, not to earn a free D1 college "education".