High school hockey compared to tier 3 junior hockey

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

grandmeadowhockeyfan

High school hockey compared to tier 3 junior hockey

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:23 am

A friend of mine and me have had a debate the last few days with the tier 3 junior championship in Rochester. He says he would prefer a tier 3 hockey game over a high school game. I completely disagree. I would go to a good high school game any day. Help out the debate. Which would you choose and why.

Roy01

Post by Roy01 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:37 am

Definitely a high school game. Depending what teams you're watching some (or many) of the players will be better than those playing Tier III. Not to mention high school games are a much different atmosphere than the Tier III juniors.. I've seen the Ice Hawks play at the Rec and I've seen the Rochester High School games there as well - I'd take high school any day.

IMHO

Post by IMHO » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:11 am

Tier III is a money maker to nowhere taking advantage of people that can't give up the dream. Most AA high school teams would kick the crap out of most Tier III teams. I saw a scrimmage of a HS and their local Tier III (big no-no actually) and it wasn't even close.

Vapor

Re: High school hockey compared to tier 3 junior hockey

Post by Vapor » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:51 am

grandmeadowhockeyfan wrote:A friend of mine and me have had a debate the last few days with the tier 3 junior championship in Rochester. He says he would prefer a tier 3 hockey game over a high school game. I completely disagree. I would go to a good high school game any day. Help out the debate. Which would you choose and why.
If you're debating what is "better", then HS hockey without question. Better atmosphere, better players, and in most cases (AA) faster pace of play.

grandmeadowhockeyfan

Exactly last poster

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:43 am

All those for high school hockey. What are the positives for juniors then.

grandmeadowhockeyfan

Type of high school player

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:47 am

If possible try to explain the type of high school player who goes to tier juniors. Goal scorers, second line goal scorer, checking line, fourth line heart player?

mghockey18

Post by mghockey18 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:20 pm

Tier III Juniors is mostly for your average to a little above average high school player.

siberian

Post by siberian » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:58 pm

looking at this from a different perspective than all you mn hs lovers, tier III juniors is probably a lot better in terms of level of play if you do not come from a top 20 class a or aa program. having watched both levels, i'd say that the best tier 3 teams could play right with the top 20 teams in the state, plus they are bigger and stronger so that would play to their advantage. ultimately, if someone doesnt like their high school program and wants to develop, tier 3 is a good option for a kid in high school that does have potential to move up the junior hockey ranks in hope to play in college.

grandmeadowhockeyfan

High school team and hrs

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:48 pm

You think anyone who wants to step up there game and move to jrs will pick tier three. Is that really a step up. Maybe tier two or one, but tier three. Tier three players never get a sniff of division one hockey. If you want to make the next step tier three is not the way to go. Think about it.

Roy01

Re: High school team and hrs

Post by Roy01 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:01 pm

grandmeadowhockeyfan wrote:You think anyone who wants to step up there game and move to jrs will pick tier three. Is that really a step up. Maybe tier two or one, but tier three. Tier three players never get a sniff of division one hockey. If you want to make the next step tier three is not the way to go. Think about it.
I agree. I've only heard of one player from Tier III going to D-I (can't think of his name at the moment.. #-o) Regardless, as it's been said, moving from a lower level high school team to the level of an advanced high school squad isn't the best step for exposure, or playing post-high school at all in my opinion.

Can anyone think of Tier III players who went on to play D-I? Or more so were successful in D-I?

SuperStar

Post by SuperStar » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:22 pm

According to Wikipedia:

The league began as the a Junior B-level league known as the Central States Hockey League (CSHL), during the early 1980s it was known as Metro Detroit Junior Hockey League.[1] but returned to the CSHL name until 2010. The league moved up from Junior B to Tier III Junior A status in the summer of 2007 because it was considered to be one of the top Junior B leagues in the United States. The past four years, the St. Louis Jr. Blues proved their dominance on the national stage winning the national championship four years in a row. The Jr Blues made history during the 2006-2007 season. They were the first team to win four consecutive national titles, breaking a record that was set over 60 years ago.

CSHL logo
During the 2008-2009 season, it was announced that the Pittsburgh Jr. Penguins would be joining the CSHL for the 2009-2010 season, bringing the number of teams to 13. The league returned to 12 teams for 2010-11, as the Dubuque Thunderbirds franchise folded making room for the return of the Dubuque Fighting Saints in United States Hockey League.
On November 1, 2010 it was announced that the North American Hockey League would take control of the CSHL immediately. The NAHL-CSHL affiliation allows for a more structured Jr. hockey system to provide athletes with more opportunities to advance to college and pro hockey. At the time of the take over the league was renamed to the North American 3 Hockey League (NA3HL).[2][3]
In May, 2011 it was announced that the Granite City Lumberjacks, Minnesota Flying Aces, North Iowa Bulls and the Twin City Steel would be joining the North American 3 Hockey League (NA3HL) beginning with the 2011-2012 season bringing the total number of teams in the NA3HL to 16. [4] [5]
[edit]Alumni

Many prominent college and pro hockey players have played in the CSHL at one point in their careers, including 2007 Hobey Baker finalist Eric Ehn (Metro Jets), Colorado Avalanche forward and 2010 U.S. Olympian Paul Stastny (St. Louis Jr. Blues) and Chris Butler (St. Louis Jr. Blues), now in the Calgary Flames' organization.

rudy

Tier III

Post by rudy » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:31 pm

There's an Islander who used to play for the Edina Lakers. Can't think of his name. And Bennie Walker played for the Lakers and he's in the WHL now and playing significant minutes.

SuperStar

Post by SuperStar » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:44 pm

Maybe this conversation is about the MJHL specifically..? Which is different than the NA3HL....Because I think the NA3HL is a tougher league..?? actually I am not sure on that, just my hunch

MJHL Teams
Dells Ducks
Edina Lakers
Hudson Crusaders
Minnesota Owls
Maple Grove Energy
Rochester Ice Hawks
Steele County Blades (2012-13)
Twin Cities Northern Lights

Former teams
Minnesota Flying Aces (-2011) - moved to NA3HL
Minnesota Wildcats (2008-2011) - folded
Granite City Lumberjacks (2007-2011) - moved to NA3HL
Wisconsin Mustangs (2004-2010) - moved to SIJHL
Iron Range Yellow Jackets (1999-2002) - moved to SIJHL
Dubuque Thunderbirds - moved to CSHL

grandmeadowhockeyfan

Changs

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:56 pm

Why all the changes in a short time if such quality play and players. Consistent good play would want teams to stay. Wouldn't it. Just a thought

grandmeadowhockeyfan

Time as tier three

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:21 pm

These players that were mentioned as tier three players that made the NHL. How long did said players play in tier three. Did they play more than one year or less.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:26 pm

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article ... _id=135792
Parenteau would of been out of Hockey without this option.

There's been 3-5 (minimum) others that have advanced to D-1 the last few years.

Many that have advanced to D-3. The Lumberjacks (alone) have advanced 25+ (D-3) the last four years... 16 in two of those years.

A few have jumped straight to the USHL. (also in the last couple years)

Many, many advance to the NAHL.

And they sell beer at the games to boot.. :shock: :D mmmm beer!

Great leagues for the late bloomers that don't want to give up the dream of playing college Hockey, be it D-1 or D-3. :idea:

grandmeadowhockeyfan

Length of stay

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:36 pm

How long did these guys play tier three? Probably for a very short time. If they are division one type players they would only be tier three for a short time

MrBoDangles

Re: Length of stay

Post by MrBoDangles » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:54 pm

grandmeadowhockeyfan wrote:How long did these guys play tier three? Probably for a very short time. If they are division one type players they would only be tier three for a short time
Yep. It's a stage to get noticed. One season of playing three times the amount of games as HS will season a player. Many are able to get to a NAHL skill-set after a season or two.. Something that wasn't possible right out of HS.

Parenteau only needed a year to advance to the NAHL. Then needed two seasons of NAHL to advance to D-1. Again, If the MnJHL option wasn't there....?

mghockey18

Post by mghockey18 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:56 pm

You also have to pay roughly $5,000 to play.

MNpuckBlog

Post by MNpuckBlog » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:56 pm

Earlier today I posted about all the typical Junior routes from Minnesota players on my blog. It's mostly my opinion, supported by the leagues statistics of college commitments, but feel free to check it out.

http://mnpuckblog.blogspot.com/

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:02 pm

The Rochester junior team plays in front of decent crowd so they have that going for them, most of the teams in that league don't though.

Nobody would confuse Tier 3 hockey (or at least the MnJHL or any team at Nationals) with top level high school hockey in Minnesota, it's not. I don't think a Tier 3 team would win any AA section or be a top 2 seed in any AA section either, they might win a few A sections but clearly aren't in the league of STA, Breck, or Hermantown.

Which you prefer is totally up to the individual, you won't see a fight in a high school game, they don't sell beer at a high school game, and fan conduct that would get you thrown out of a high school game is tolerated and encouraged at the Tier 3 level. However you proably won't see any future Gophers or WCHA players at a Tier 3 game either, and even the top MnJHL teams would be mid level teams at best in the major high school conferences. There's nothing wrong in going to a Tier 3 game, my guess is it is more because of the atmopshere than level of hockey.

grandmeadowhockeyfan

Jr three players

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:31 pm

The general concensus is that tier three jr hockey is not as good as high school hockey. Next what type of player off a high school team goes tier three? Are the players first line, second line, third line, or fourth line kids. Are they goal scorers, hustle line, or physical line. Does anyone know an example of a kid off your local team and what lline he played in high school.

WarmUpTheBus

Re: Jr three players

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:47 pm

grandmeadowhockeyfan wrote:The general concensus is that tier three jr hockey is not as good as high school hockey. Next what type of player off a high school team goes tier three? Are the players first line, second line, third line, or fourth line kids. Are they goal scorers, hustle line, or physical line. Does anyone know an example of a kid off your local team and what lline he played in high school.
All of the above. There are also some Jr Gold players

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:18 pm

MNpuckBlog wrote:Earlier today I posted about all the typical Junior routes from Minnesota players on my blog. It's mostly my opinion, supported by the leagues statistics of college commitments, but feel free to check it out.

20+ MNJHL alumni have gone D-1 since 2000
200+ alumni have gone D-III since 2000

Not too shabby for a VERY small (8 teams?) tier 3 league.

Might want to check your "statistics" again.... :wink:

mghockey18

Post by mghockey18 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:54 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:
MNpuckBlog wrote:Earlier today I posted about all the typical Junior routes from Minnesota players on my blog. It's mostly my opinion, supported by the leagues statistics of college commitments, but feel free to check it out.

20+ MNJHL alumni have gone D-1 since 2000
200+ alumni have gone D-III since 2000

Not too shabby for a VERY small (8 teams?) tier 3 league.

Might want to check your "statistics" again.... :wink:
If you can't play in the North American League with over 30 teams, or even in the BCHL, MJHL, SJHL, or AJHL...Come on. You're not going to make the lineup at any D3 school.