NIT Tournament - Minnesota Seniors Roster

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

seek & destroy

NIT Tournament - Minnesota Seniors Roster

Post by seek & destroy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:22 am

Rosters were released showing the Mn. NIT team for seniors. These players were selected from the Great 8 tournament last weekend to represent the Mn. Seniors in the NIT tournament starting April 19th.

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/page/show/49 ... -nit-2012-

Jared Kolquist D Hermantown 180 5'8.5''
Andrew Herlofsky D Anoka
Brian LeBlanc D Hermantown
Dillon Eichstadt D Bemidji
Jordan Stejskal D Grand Rapids 185 6'0
Ian Janco D Bloom Jefferson 186 6'1''
Jared Thomas F Hermantown 190 5'11.75''
Dom Toninato F Duluth East 165 6'0.5''
Mitch McLain F Brainerd 180 5'11.5
Matt Pohlkamp F Brainerd 186 6'0''
Charlie Sampair F Hill-Murray 180 6'0''
Andrew Commers F St. Thomas Academy 175 5'10''
Peter Krieger F St. Thomas Academy 172 5'10''
C.J. Franklin F Forest Lake 180 5'10.5''
Christian Horn F Benilde-St. Margaret's 174 5'11''
Jake O’Borsky F Benilde-St. Margaret's 188 6'0''
Johno May F Mahtomedi
Cory Chapman F Burnsville 180 5'10''
Jon Narverud G Thief River Falls
John Scheuer G Cloquet

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:54 pm

Who is coaching?

blueblood

18's (Sr's)

Post by blueblood » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:10 pm

Northern teams well reprsented with 11 of the 20 players. A complete breakdown by Section:

Sect 1 - 0
Sect 2 - 2 (Burnsville & Jefferson)
Sect 3 - 0
Sect 4 - 4 (Hill, Mahtomedi & STA)
Sect 5 - 3 (Hermantown)
Sect 6 - 2 (BSM)
Sect 7 - 5 (Anoka, Cloquet DE, FL, GR)
Sect 8 - 4 (Bemidji, Brainerd, TRF)

The Dman24

Post by The Dman24 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:47 pm

Anoka is section 5 AA[/quote]

netminder.net

Post by netminder.net » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:22 pm

Northern teams well reprsented with 11 of the 20 players. A complete breakdown by Section:

Sect 1 - 0
Sect 2 - 2 (Burnsville & Jefferson)
Sect 3 - 0
Sect 4 - 4 (Hill, Mahtomedi & STA)
Sect 5 - 3 (Hermantown)
Sect 6 - 2 (BSM)
Sect 7 - 5 (Anoka, Cloquet DE, FL, GR)
Sect 8 - 4 (Bemidji, Brainerd, TRF)
So the team that won the event has no representitives, yet the second place team has a team high 5 players? I did not see one minute of the games last weekend, but this seems odd. Thoughts?

demongoed

Post by demongoed » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:07 pm

Was actual performance in the tournament at all a factor in selecting these players? I can see the justification for some of these guys, but for others, not so much.

The Dman24

Post by The Dman24 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:12 pm

demongoed wrote:Was actual performance in the tournament at all a factor in selecting these players? I can see the justification for some of these guys, but for others, not so much.
Who isn't justified?

demongoed

Post by demongoed » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:03 pm

Well, when you have one player selected who had a total of 0 points in 3 games selected over any number of players with 4 or more you have to wonder what's going on. I'm just saying that based on how kids did in the Great 8, it would seem that some performed better than some of those chosen for the NIT.

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:32 pm

C.J. moved on I feel that is just. Still hit two dingers Sat!! [After hockey] Keep your eyes opoepen on this non-summer hockey player!!!!

Roy01

Post by Roy01 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:25 pm

demongoed wrote:Well, when you have one player selected who had a total of 0 points in 3 games selected over any number of players with 4 or more you have to wonder what's going on. I'm just saying that based on how kids did in the Great 8, it would seem that some performed better than some of those chosen for the NIT.
It's happened before. I know there were some kids in the past edging double digit points for the tournament but didn't get represented in the NIT. They're obviously capable of playing at a higher level to put up those stats, but maybe the committee was looking at the season performances rather than the actual Great 8 showing.

busdriver

NIT Mn Seniors

Post by busdriver » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:55 am

Great 8 performance had nothing to do with this roster. I watched each team on all three days of this tourney and have the following stats to support my conclusion: First, Champs Section 3 and Consolation Champs Section 1 were a combined 5 and 1 and have no players heading to the NIT. Sections 2, 5, 6, and 8 were a combined 3 and 9 and have 12 players (60% of the team)on their way to Plymouth. Add Section 4 to that bunch and they are 5 and 10 with 15 players (75% of the team) in the NIT. Forget Section 4 and add Section 7 and they are still a combined 5 and 10, but now have 16 players (80% of the team) in the NIT. My numbers may be fractionally off because there is an alternate player that played for two different sections (neither 1 or 3) during the weekend and ended up on the NIT roster.
Additionally consider, there is a defenseman on the 0-3 team, including a 9-0 loss, on the roster, only one player that had a game winning goal on the roster, and that was the 1st goal of their 9-0 win, a player with 7 points and 6 of those were in a 9-0 win, a player with 7 points and three of those were in a 12-4 win and they included the 11th and 12th goals.
I could go on, but let's be honest--this roster was almost complete before the first puck dropped in S. St. Paul. Granted, they are all nice players, but the kids that prepared and performed were not given the respect they deserve. High Performance has sunk to a new low.

auld_skool

Post by auld_skool » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:48 am

The stated purpose of the Great 8:

"To identify those Minnesota athletes having potential for future participation in USA Hockey regional, national, and/or international training and competition and to expose these athletes to collegiate and other opportunities at advanced levels of competition..For Section “Bragging Rights” who plays the best hockey? All Players will be evaluated by qualified evaluators"

This is what MN Hockey says about the NIT although I'm not sure I understand it:

"THE MINNESOTA HIGH SCHOOL NATIONAL INVITATIONAL TOURNAMENT: Held in Plymouth, April 19-22, 2012. This will be an 6 team event,
including the Great “8” team and the Minnesota Advance 18 team. We are looking for the best 6 teams to participate, to do this, we are allowing all D-1
commitments to participate. That also means these players will be allowed to play in the Great 8."

They do state how they pick the Great 8 athletes but no mention of the process for the NIT.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:33 am

The purpose of the NIT is to position themselves as a showcase for kids trying to get to a higher level (USHL, NCAA, etc.) of hockey. They're going to pick kids who have a higher likelyhood of doing that. If your kid did awesome in the great 8, it means nothing if they haven't demonstrated the tools to get into the USHL or college hockey up to this point.

Fair? Hell, I don't know. Probably not. It is what it is.

Marty

Post by Marty » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:32 pm

How is this different than most associations try-out process?

In this case there is no mistaking the fact that this was not a "blind" process. Evaluators know exactly who they are looking at.

There is plenty of lobbying going on far before the 1st puck is dropped. I suspect a couple kids caught a big break, a few more were bubble kids that made it, but most of this team was formed long before even the State Tournament began over a month ago.

spectatorfun

Post by spectatorfun » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:06 pm

at the start of the tournament all the boys were giving a sheet from their coach asking if they were interested in playing in the NIT. I am guessing that there were a lot of kids that didn't want to do or couldn't. Playing in this means they have to miss school and they have to hand out another 250.00. That ends up being 500.00 for 6 games. They are better off using the money for team try-outs. So, I am just saying that not everyone was interested in playing another weekend.

The Dman24

Re: NIT Mn Seniors

Post by The Dman24 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:28 pm

busdriver wrote:Great 8 performance had nothing to do with this roster. I watched each team on all three days of this tourney and have the following stats to support my conclusion: First, Champs Section 3 and Consolation Champs Section 1 were a combined 5 and 1 and have no players heading to the NIT. Sections 2, 5, 6, and 8 were a combined 3 and 9 and have 12 players (60% of the team)on their way to Plymouth. Add Section 4 to that bunch and they are 5 and 10 with 15 players (75% of the team) in the NIT. Forget Section 4 and add Section 7 and they are still a combined 5 and 10, but now have 16 players (80% of the team) in the NIT. My numbers may be fractionally off because there is an alternate player that played for two different sections (neither 1 or 3) during the weekend and ended up on the NIT roster.
Additionally consider, there is a defenseman on the 0-3 team, including a 9-0 loss, on the roster, only one player that had a game winning goal on the roster, and that was the 1st goal of their 9-0 win, a player with 7 points and 6 of those were in a 9-0 win, a player with 7 points and three of those were in a 12-4 win and they included the 11th and 12th goals.
I could go on, but let's be honest--this roster was almost complete before the first puck dropped in S. St. Paul. Granted, they are all nice players, but the kids that prepared and performed were not given the respect they deserve. High Performance has sunk to a new low.

So who is your kid that didn't make it and got beat out by these kids?

Looks easy from here

Post by Looks easy from here » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:11 am

The Dman24 wrote:
busdriver wrote:Great 8 performance had nothing to do with this roster. I watched each team on all three days of this tourney and have the following stats to support my conclusion: First, Champs Section 3 and Consolation Champs Section 1 were a combined 5 and 1 and have no players heading to the NIT. Sections 2, 5, 6, and 8 were a combined 3 and 9 and have 12 players (60% of the team)on their way to Plymouth. Add Section 4 to that bunch and they are 5 and 10 with 15 players (75% of the team) in the NIT. Forget Section 4 and add Section 7 and they are still a combined 5 and 10, but now have 16 players (80% of the team) in the NIT. My numbers may be fractionally off because there is an alternate player that played for two different sections (neither 1 or 3) during the weekend and ended up on the NIT roster.

HALF OF THIS ROSTER WAS DONE 5 YEARS AGO

busdriver

Post by busdriver » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:36 am

The Dman24 wrote:

Well, that is the problem, he didn't get "beat out." About 100 players never had a chance because the roster was picked before Great 8 play. Just trying to expose the Great 8 for what it isn't. It isn't a chance to make the NIT roster. It is a chance to be seen by a few scouts and coaches and nothing more. Fortunately the scouts and coaches are better judges of talent than the evaluators because "my kid" is off to the BCHL. Not a bad place to start a post high school carrer. As a bonus I save time and money. Money I can now use for green fees instead of NIT admission tickets.

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:22 pm

To F.L. players played, One was FL's leading scorer Kohls[the last three years] The other C.J. [great athlete] made the NIT. I don't think that sounds like it was picked ahead. C.J. outplayed Luke in the great 8. Thus moved on!!!

netminder.net

Post by netminder.net » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:40 am

To F.L. players played, One was FL's leading scorer Kohls[the last three years] The other C.J. [great athlete] made the NIT. I don't think that sounds like it was picked ahead. C.J. outplayed Luke in the great 8. Thus moved on!!!
Not sure this holds water, looks like the one who was "outplayed" also made the roster (per Hockey Hub)

observer

Post by observer » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:49 am

Looks like Toninato was the change as he must be staying in Fargo playing with the USHL Force. Interesting that the player they added was Kohls.

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:07 pm

Look I know and like both kids.. Luke was added. Good luck to all the kids.

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:43 pm

Busdriver...Time?? It looks like you have plenty of time to put these stats together. Got a continue to love hockey parents, lol!

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:58 pm

Who looked good in Plymouth?????

4thlineproblems

Post by 4thlineproblems » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:16 am

Did Mackenzie MacEachern #15·F from the Michigan team catch anyones eye? I saw he won mr. hockey in Michigan and just wondering how he looked this weekend. He did have 7 points in 4 games whitch is pretty impressive. I also heard he will likely get drafted in the upcoming draft in Pit.