HP 17 Final 54

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

blueblood

HP 17 Final 54

Post by blueblood »

List is posted. Here is breakdown by section and school:

Sect 1
Lourdes - 1

Section 2
AHA - 1
Burnsville - 2
Blake - 2
Edina - 3
Breck - 1
Jefferson - 2

Section 3
None - wow

Section 4
South St. Paul - 1
Hill Murray - 2
Toting Grace - 1

Section 5
Blaine - 2
Hermantown - 1
Maple Grove - 1

Section 6
Minnetonka - 4
Eden Prairie - 7
BSM - 3
Minneapolis - 1
Fergus Falls - 1

Section 7
Duluth East - 6
Grand Rapids - 2
Cloquet - 2
Andover - 1

Section 8
Roseau - 2
Moorhead - 2
Thief River Falls - 1
East Grand Forks - 1

Other
Shattuck St. Mary's -1

Class A - 10 players
Class AA - 43 players
Other - 1 player
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

East, had more kids then 1,3 &5 combined.
deacon64

Post by deacon64 »

EP had more kids then East... lol

At least one kid from 3 should have made it?

Section 6 dominates for second year. Wins tourney and most selections, will next year be a three peat, oh yeah.

Feel bad for kids that did not make it that deserved to make it, but only so many roster spots. Hope these kids keep their head up.
blueblood

HP 17's

Post by blueblood »

Section 6 had 16 of their 20 players make the 54's. Unbelievable...
scienceguy

section 6

Post by scienceguy »

It's even worse:
James Schuldt -Minnetonka, did not particiate in festival and made the 54
T.J. Moore-BSM skated part of 1 game
Jack Ramsey -Minnetonka, son of Mike Ramsey, average skater at best made the team and advanced
ustayclassyminnesota

Post by ustayclassyminnesota »

Raskob didn't try out either yet also advanced. The politics involved in these "try-outs" really tarnish the credibility of the tournament. I wonder what the rosters would look like if the evaluators were from out of state, didn't know any player's names, and based the criteria only on the weekend performance.
Goalie-Dad

Post by Goalie-Dad »

Where is the HP final 17 roster?
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

mghockey18

Post by mghockey18 »

ustayclassyminnesota wrote:Raskob didn't try out either yet also advanced. The politics involved in these "try-outs" really tarnish the credibility of the tournament. I wonder what the rosters would look like if the evaluators were from out of state, didn't know any player's names, and based the criteria only on the weekend performance.
I doubt they would look anything different. Maybe 10 guys. Maybe. Look, I can look at the Final 54 rosters and can probably pick 95% of the guys that will make it out to New York. It's not hard finding the right kids.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Lets hear your predictions...
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

deacon64 wrote:EP had more kids then East... lol

At least one kid from 3 should have made it?

Section 6 dominates for second year. Wins tourney and most selections, will next year be a three peat, oh yeah.

Feel bad for kids that did not make it that deserved to make it, but only so many roster spots. Hope these kids keep their head up.
None of the kids from 3 made the cut as 16s last year.
nahc

Post by nahc »

Politics, politics, politics......will never end. Am sure most of the kids deserve to be there but..........
mghockey18

Post by mghockey18 »

SuperStar wrote:Lets hear your predictions...
If they take the same amount of players as last year....

G - No idea.

D - Gross, Raskob, Brodzinksi, Heinrich, Schuldt

F - Labowski, Sheehy, Valensano, Kuhlman, Moore, Hartley, Hurley, Herdt
Wasilla

Post by Wasilla »

mghockey18 wrote:
SuperStar wrote:Lets hear your predictions...
If they take the same amount of players as last year....

G - No idea.

D - Gross, Raskob, Brodzinksi, Heinrich, Schuldt

F - Labowski, Sheehy, Valensano, Kuhlman, Moore, Hartley, Hurley, Herdt
Now how about your predictions, Superstar?
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Looks like a good list to me, if your going off last year....But since this is NOT last year, I would have atleast (1) different Defense and 2 different forwards..

Your turn wasilla.
Last edited by SuperStar on Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
ticktacktonka

Post by ticktacktonka »

Does it not say in very bold type that if you can't come to ANY of the sessions than don't bother trying out? Sounds like several kids didn't try out and advanced. When is Minnesota hockey going to wise up. Eventually nobody is going to do these tournaments. Then where will they be? Do the math: 20 kids x 8 teams x$170 to tryout. That's $54,000 just between the 2 teams. Now add another $27,000 for the 18s tryout, another $27, 000 for the Great 8s. Now think about the gate fee you paid this weekend-$20 per person-everyone brings in at least 2 spectators -that's close to $10,000 in tickets sales. We haven't even looked at the girls or the 15s, yet and this "tournament" has grossed MN Hockey; close to $200,000 for one weekend of hockey. Add in the girls and the 15s (which has to be their biggest money-maker) and I bet you're close to a milllion bucks! When is the last time MN hockey gave to your youth association any funding for development, equipment, etc. If you enjoy these weekends, seeing friends, seeing Scouts looking at your kid, being in a hockey rink on a beautiful Spring day in April, than you got your money's worth. Don't think this is getting your child anything more than a weekend of pond hockey with his buddies. I personally think the money would be better spent doing a shooting or stickhandling clinic.
demongoed

Post by demongoed »

ticktack-

The comments are the same every year at this time, and you'd think that people would wise up. The reality is that for every few that realize what is really going on, and bow out, there are 10 who believe everyone starts with a clean slate and actually have a chance. We've aged out of the Selects, but our experience is the same as above--the same kids made it year after year. Now, though, maybe 1/2 of those are playing at a higher level, but so many more who never made a camp are also playing at a higher level. On the girls side the story is the same. Girls playing 2 years of A level hockey cut while girls who played B advance, etc.

Before anyone throws out the sour grapes comments, my son is one of those who never made selects, kept working hard, and is playing at a higher level. Does making these teams help you get noticed? Absolutely, but so many more kids move on without this advantage. I agree with ticktack--unless your child has been given a clear indication that he's a candidate, save your time and money and put it towards skill development.
ustayclassyminnesota

Post by ustayclassyminnesota »

I'm curious if the players who didn't try out (Raskob, Schuldt, etc) for their section team, who weren't listed on their section roster at the Spring Festival and didn't participate, yet advanced to 54's, had to pay the $250 all the other kids had paid up to that point. Or does MN Hockey give them a pat on the back and a free pass?
Wasilla

Post by Wasilla »

SuperStar wrote:Looks like a good list to me, if your going off last year....But since this is NOT last year, I would have atleast (1) different Defense and 2 different forwards..

Your turn wasilla.
I didnt watch the tournament, so guessing is a waste.

Good luck to those who have worked hard to improve or have the natural gifts to truly make it.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Riiight.....Nice cop out
scienceguy

Post by scienceguy »

Hartley didn't even make the section 6 team. Schuldt couldn't be at Festival, Hartley took his spot as a D even though he is a F. Both made the 54. Schuldt as D, Hartley as F. It smells. Hartley went to NY last year and I'm wondering if someone wanted to make sure he advanced someway.
spectatorfun

Post by spectatorfun »

How many of the guys on your list played for the Blades. It seems like those guys always get a free ride.
mghockey18

Post by mghockey18 »

spectatorfun wrote:How many of the guys on your list played for the Blades. It seems like those guys always get a free ride.
Usually a lot of them are the best players.
ticktacktonka

Post by ticktacktonka »

My son has also aged out of the Selects. He did always make the 54s, never made the final trip to NY. He is now playing in the USHL with a scholarship offer and will play DIV 1 hockey this Fall. The moral of the story is that this tournament will not matter in the Big picture. Remember Blake Wheeler never made it. Many other talented players get passed by each year. Maybe their name isn't hyped enough, maybe they are late "bloomers" or sadly, maybe they just don't have the right name. Like I said earlier, do it for fun- if you want- not for anything more.
scienceguy

Post by scienceguy »

I guess you are from the Twin Cities area. What you say is true for metro players. But those kids from outstate, other than Roseau, this may be their only opportunity to play where there are a number of coaches, scouts etc. These are the kids that are being excluded by the hypocrisy of Minnesota Hockey. Changes need to be made at MN Hockey.