HP 17 Final 54

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

flatontheice

Post by flatontheice »

SuperStar wrote:Going back to the goalie pick - I am absolutely miffed and baffled.

How can you pick the goalie with the worst "stats" and very little varsity experience for this team?

Not knocking this kid..Just wondering what MN Hockey was thinking...

These are stats I complied for BOTH the Festival and 54's combined - first to worst order. Goals Against (GA) and GAA - granted there is small difference in shots for each - But not alot

Name GA GAA

LaCombe 9 3.00
Shepard 11 3.53
Gerdes 13 4.20
Larson 13 4.30
Martens 13 4.30
Holmes 17 5.65
l
Hes a very very good goalie and played very well in the final 54's thats how he got picked. "what have you done for me lately"
deacon64

Post by deacon64 »

Does not make sense, however stats include all the Penalty shot goals. Penaly shot award on any and all penalties. More penalty shots in one game then will see and entire HS hockey season.

Biggest surprise at F is Ramsey, others were better.
Reg7

Post by Reg7 »

deacon64 wrote:Does not make sense, however stats include all the Penalty shot goals. Penaly shot award on any and all penalties. More penalty shots in one game then will see and entire HS hockey season.

Biggest surprise at F is Ramsey, others were better.
Let's just say sometimes the name on the back of the jersey is more important then the one on the front...
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

flatontheice wrote:
SuperStar wrote:Going back to the goalie pick - I am absolutely miffed and baffled.

How can you pick the goalie with the worst "stats" and very little varsity experience for this team?

These are stats I complied for BOTH the Festival and 54's combined - first to worst order. Goals Against (GA) and GAA - granted there is small difference in shots for each - But not alot

Name GA GAA

LaCombe 9 3.00
Shepard 11 3.53
Gerdes 13 4.20
Larson 13 4.30
Martens 13 4.30
Holmes 17 5.65
l
Hes a very very good goalie and played very well in the final 54's thats how he got picked. "what have you done for me lately"
Yeah - he did SO good in the 54's that he was dead last in stats there too. :shock: 11 GAA in the 54's compared to 6 GAA in the Festival

Aint knocking the kid - I am sure he is a fine young man, but come on.
flatontheice

Post by flatontheice »

SuperStar wrote:
flatontheice wrote:

Name GA GAA

LaCombe 9 3.00
Shepard 11 3.53
Gerdes 13 4.20
Larson 13 4.30
Martens 13 4.30
Holmes 17 5.65
l
Yeah - he did SO good in the 54's that he was dead last in stats there too. :shock: 11 GAA in the 54's compared to 6 GAA in the Festival

Yes you are knocking the kid. He played very well. As you know its a team sport...or do you?
Wallyworld

Ramsey

Post by Wallyworld »

With Ramsey already on their list, the guys running the camp must of been sweating with each game going "come on Ramsey, 3 points in 2 camps ain't going to do it" is it too late to change him to a D? Meanwhile guys like Bergh and Brown, with 4 goals each this camp will have extra golf time this summer...good job guys.
mghockey18

Re: Ramsey

Post by mghockey18 »

Wallyworld wrote:With Ramsey already on their list, the guys running the camp must of been sweating with each game going "come on Ramsey, 3 points in 2 camps ain't going to do it" is it too late to change him to a D? Meanwhile guys like Bergh and Brown, with 4 goals each this camp will have extra golf time this summer...good job guys.
It baffles me as well. Bergh clearly deserved to be invited out to New York.
demongoed

Post by demongoed »

I'm going to throw this out there to see what others think: Ramsey certainly has the pedigree, and was likely given a pass just based on that. However, do you think the evaluators also looked at size? I ask because we certainly saw this on the girls side where selections were made that simply defied both in season and camp performance. The only common denominator was that the girls chosen were taller than those passed over.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Simple Solution: Then don't invite kids under 6ft. Take thier money and tell them to compete hard and do your best and you might have a shot..But just to let you know: Since your under 6 ft you ain't gonna make it anyways, but give it your best shot kid and have your parents cut us 170 bucks per weekend.
Shoot Higher

Post by Shoot Higher »

flatontheice wrote:
SuperStar wrote:
flatontheice wrote: Hes a very very good goalie and played very well in the final 54's thats how he got picked. "what have you done for me lately"

Yes you are knocking the kid. He played very well. As you know its a team sport...or do you?
the stats for the 16 and 17 goalies are combined on the hockey hub; it appears that the 16s have a stronger group compared to the 17s (?) ; did the 17s take two goalies or only one? if so who is the other or back up? who chooses the goalies for advancement?
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Remember that the 16's played the 16's twice and the 17's once. If the 16's would have played the 17's every game, the stats would be different. Same goes for the 17's ..IMO

The 17's only take 1 goalie. 16's 2. From what I was told. Have no idea who decides on the goalies'
Gems

Post by Gems »

SuperStar wrote:Simple Solution: Then don't invite kids under 6ft. Take thier money and tell them to compete hard and do your best and you might have a shot..But just to let you know: Since your under 6 ft you ain't gonna make it anyways, but give it your best shot kid and have your parents cut us 170 bucks per weekend.
Over half the forwards selected are under 6ft... :roll:
Granttenn

Ramsey makes team?

Post by Granttenn »

Following what others have said about Ramsey making the cut, this is really a black eye for MN Hockey as an organization. 3 points in 2 camps (there were good, all around players who had more points than that in 1 game) and yet the people who select these kids have no real accountability. The only decent thing for Ramsey to do to restore some credibility to MN Hockey is to respectfully decline his spot. Jack?
Gems

Re: Ramsey makes team?

Post by Gems »

Granttenn wrote:Following what others have said about Ramsey making the cut, this is really a black eye for MN Hockey as an organization. 3 points in 2 camps (there were good, all around players who had more points than that in 1 game) and yet the people who select these kids have no real accountability. The only decent thing for Ramsey to do to restore some credibility to MN Hockey is to respectfully decline his spot. Jack?
Does MN Hockey think the average joe hockey person does not see this happening? No politics here... :roll:
Hoc2x21

Post by Hoc2x21 »

Granttenn wrote:Following what others have said about Ramsey making the cut, this is really a black eye for MN Hockey as an organization. 3 points in 2 camps (there were good, all around players who had more points than that in 1 game) and yet the people who select these kids have no real accountability. The only decent thing for Ramsey to do to restore some credibility to MN Hockey is to respectfully decline his spot. Jack?
Granttenn are you Kidding me? Respectfully decline his spot. He didnt do anything wrong. He did what was asked of him just like any other kid that worked hard and made it as well as those that didnt make it. He just happens to have a well known father in the hockey ranks and a MN Hockey evaluation system that needs to be completely overhauled.
MN Hockey needs to take care of this consistantly biased evaluation process.
All players need to go in a random pool from the start of this HP process. The evaluators need to have only a player number and position with no ties to what class or section a kid is from. I'm sure it would be corrupted in a short time.
Many kids are not aware of the politics that go on in this program and many think they have a very legit chance to make it.
Without changing the process We will be back here year in and year out with the same complaints.

Best of luck in NY to all who made it in 16s and 17s.
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

There is no doubt a few odd choices/omissions for these teams. Tough spot to be in with a lot of players to choose from. In the end, it won't break any player's future not being in it. Lots of opportunities ahead to prove their ability. Maybe some will use it as motivation to push themselves harder
scienceguy

Post by scienceguy »

Hoc2x21 wrote:
Granttenn are you Kidding me? Respectfully decline his spot. He didnt do anything wrong. He did what was asked of him just like any other kid that worked hard and made it as well as those that didnt make it. He just happens to have a well known father in the hockey ranks and a MN Hockey evaluation system that needs to be completely overhauled.
All players need to go in a random pool from the start of this HP process. The evaluators need to have only a player number and position with no ties to what class or section a kid is from. I'm sure it would be corrupted in a short time.
Many kids are not aware of the politics that go on in this program and many think they have a very legit chance to make it.
Without changing the process We will be back here year in and year out with the same complaints.

I agree. How do we change MN hockey?
Hoc2x21

Post by Hoc2x21 »

scienceguy wrote:
Hoc2x21 wrote:

I agree. How do we change MN hockey?
MN Hockey simply needs an evaluation by the parents of the kids that did not make it through to the 54s or even their Sec. Team. Oh darn that won't work as that would be made up of primarily Class A kids parents and would be unfair to Class AA participants. Hmm! Still thinking :-k
mgrockswayzata

Post by mgrockswayzata »

Why is everyone so worked up about Selects? It's not that big of a deal.
My son and his friend both played high school hockey for a middle of the road Class AA team. They never played AAA hockey, never tried out for MN Selects and never played in the Elite Leagues. Once winter hockey season was over, they played spring and summer baseball. When they weren't playing baseball, they lifted weights, shot pucks, and stickhandled during the summer. Since they didn't play a Fall sport, they started skating 2 days a week beginning in Sept to get ready for the high school season. They also played in the showcase high school league in mpls.
When they graduated from high school, they tried out for juniors and played 1 year of junior hockey. (nahl)
They both ended up playing college hockey. My son played D3 hockey and baseball for St. Johns while his friend played hockey for Ohio State for 4 years.

If your son got cut from Selects, tell them it is not the end of their career. Keep improving your skills and work hard. You never know when a scout/coach is watching and likes the way you play.
deacon64

Post by deacon64 »

Good points, except if from an outstate single A school, chance of being noticed are slim. Meaning chance of a scout coming to watch and player having good game at same time. Odds against these players and need a program like Advanced to get some exposure.
Carl Racki

Post by Carl Racki »

deacon64 wrote:Good points, except if from an outstate single A school, chance of being noticed are slim. Meaning chance of a scout coming to watch and player having good game at same time. Odds against these players and need a program like Advanced to get some exposure.
If your kid is good enough they will find him, period!
If that isn't good enough uproot your family and move if it is that important to you...
People are human, they make mistakes, they always don't have the same opinion as you do. :roll:
Every kid is not going be a superstar and heck maybe some adversity will build him into a better man and it will lead to success in other aspects of his life for many years to come!
Gems

Post by Gems »

(qoute)If your kid is good enough they will find him, period!

Every kid is not going be a superstar and heck maybe some adversity will build him into a better man and it will lead to success in other aspects of his life for many years to come![/quote]

Agreed...but c'mon year end and year out MN hockey picks players that raise a red flag alert because nobody understands the system they use to choose players, leaving people baffled...put a black and white system together that people understand and issue will be resolved. Just my opinion...
Granttenn

I agree, Gems & post from independent scout

Post by Granttenn »

Did anyone see the post under 16's (that actually covered 17's as well) that was from a scout who appeared to be outside the MN political system & who was in attendance.. Interesting how his analysis differs a little and I really sense no politics at all. So how hard can this be... He gives his top 10 and a brief analysis..Anyone see Ramsey on there. ( below). Also I totally agree with Gems and others that the selection people should see number of skater but not see his name (of course they will recognize many physically). Or better yet have outside independent scouts like this guy.. To me he got it right.. Here's his Forward list & brief anaysis in paragraph below that..

Forward: Dan Labosky, Connor Hurley, Karson Kuhlman, Avery Peterson, Mason Bergh, Tommy Hajicek, Alex Toscano, Tyler Sheehy, Willie Brown, Tyler Cline

I was confused how East Grand Forks' Tommy Hajicek only scored 13 goals during the high school season, and that's even more confusing considering he scored 12 goals in just 6 Festival games. Labosky is going to be a kid that fans from other teams hate, but is a very effective college player. Hurley and Peterson are probably the only 2013 draft picks out of this group. Sheehy and possibly Kuhlman are 2014 prospects. Mason Bergh has always been a step behind some of the other top kids in this age group, but he had a great tournament and I think he deserves a spot. Willie Brown scored a ton between the two weekends of tryouts. Tyler Cline isn't a huge kid, but was very effective.
------------------------------
Granttenn

Entire post

Post by Granttenn »

Actually, that scout quotes both 16's and 17's on the forum under "16's" so I doubt he'll mind if I post his whole post, including D and Goalies (below). This came out a day or two after the camp..

Select 17s

Defense: Jordan Gross, Michael Brodzinski, Willie Raskob, Blake Heinrich, Parker Reno, Johnny Austin

The first three are pretty much givens. For what it's worth, after a very bad high school season, I thought Brodzinski looked much better here. I also think it's time for Heinrich and Reno to move into the same category as those other. When all is said and done, Reno may be the best pro prospect out of this group. Whichever college lands Heinrich is getting a really nice player. Most impressive is that everyone that talks about Heinrich leads with what a quality person he is.The last spot most likely will go to Jimmy Schuldt. He was better here than I've ever seen him, so I wouldn't have a problem with him getting a national invite this year, though I personally liked Austin a little better. This is a phenomenally deep group. I can't think of any of the 18 defensemen here that would look out of place at the national camp.

Forward: Dan Labosky, Connor Hurley, Karson Kuhlman, Avery Peterson, Mason Bergh, Tommy Hajicek, Alex Toscano, Tyler Sheehy, Willie Brown, Tyler Cline

I was confused how East Grand Forks' Tommy Hajicek only scored 13 goals during the high school season, and that's even more confusing considering he scored 12 goals in just 6 Festival games. Labosky is going to be a kid that fans from other teams hate, but is a very effective college player. Hurley and Peterson are probably the only 2013 draft picks out of this group. Sheehy and possibly Kuhlman are 2014 prospects. Mason Bergh has always been a step behind some of the other top kids in this age group, but he had a great tournament and I think he deserves a spot. Willie Brown scored a ton between the two weekends of tryouts. Tyler Cline isn't a huge kid, but was very effective.

Goalies: The kid from Jefferson had pretty sweet pads, so I guess him? Do I have to pick another?
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

That wasn't a scout. It was a fan blogger.