Christian Horn commits to the Gophers

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:29 pm

keepyourheadup wrote:Dangles, please decipher the previous post as I can make absolutely no sense of it.
No one without his "delusional mind decoder ring" can.

watchingfromthestands

Post by watchingfromthestands » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:13 pm

I'm slightly confused, if you recieve any offer, for a roster spot or any money, that makes you a walk on? Sounds like a lot of people speculating without knowing the full situation.

Rumor this, rumor that. I'll I know is that he was offered a spot for next year and he took it. Sounds to me as its a commitment for a roster spot (not a walk on). At least in my day that was the same commitment I took.
too old to skate - so im watchingfromthestands

xy

Post by xy » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:35 pm

I have no first-hand information on this particular situation but I would feel fairly safe in speculating that when people say he's "walking on" they mean he's not getting financial help; he is being recruited, and has a roster spot for next year. "Walking on" in the sense of trying out and attempting to convince them you're good enough to be on the team doesn't happen at that level, if it ever did. They are limited in how many people they can have on the roster, in part for Title IX reasons (if they have too many players, even if they're not getting financial help, it can upset the ratio of male to female athletes the department has to maintain, and take them out of Title IX compliance), and they simply don't do things like hold tryouts.

JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:52 pm

watchingfromthestands wrote:I'm slightly confused, if you recieve any offer, for a roster spot or any money, that makes you a walk on? Sounds like a lot of people speculating without knowing the full situation.

Rumor this, rumor that. I'll I know is that he was offered a spot for next year and he took it. Sounds to me as its a commitment for a roster spot (not a walk on). At least in my day that was the same commitment I took.
He's not getting an scholarship money, which would classify as a walk-on. Though I agree with you in principle. He was offered a spot for very good reasons. He's an excellent two-way hockey player, with a high hockey IQ, and a high character kid. You need a players like Christian if you want to be a successful college hockey team.

JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:53 pm

xy wrote:I have no first-hand information on this particular situation but I would feel fairly safe in speculating that when people say he's "walking on" they mean he's not getting financial help; he is being recruited, and has a roster spot for next year. "Walking on" in the sense of trying out and attempting to convince them you're good enough to be on the team doesn't happen at that level, if it ever did. They are limited in how many people they can have on the roster, in part for Title IX reasons (if they have too many players, even if they're not getting financial help, it can upset the ratio of male to female athletes the department has to maintain, and take them out of Title IX compliance), and they simply don't do things like hold tryouts.
You are allowed to have 18 full scholarships in any given year, and I believe up to 30 partials.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:55 pm

keepyourheadup wrote:Dangles, please decipher the previous post as I can make absolutely no sense of it.
How a few on here THOUGHT that they offered Horton a scholarship and that they would have no current interest in Besse.

Karma!

They know..........

watchingfromthestands

Post by watchingfromthestands » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:23 pm

I just found out the truth, by making two phone calls.

Valid points keep, didn't realize the end of that sentence came across that way.

However, I have enjoyed MrDangles comments today.

Have a great weekend all.
Last edited by watchingfromthestands on Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
too old to skate - so im watchingfromthestands

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:26 pm

i do

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:44 pm

Ok, I'm still trying to figure out how Horton's name got in the conversation, was there an offer most of us are not aware of?

As for Christian, the "walk on" label seems to get thrown around the neck of players who are invited to play but are not offered any financial help to start. Thompson, Student and Miller where likely in the same boat last year. Its important to understand that this is normally a year to year agreement and if Christian performs well he will no doubt earn his piece of the pie.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:39 pm

JDUBBS1280 wrote:
watchingfromthestands wrote:I'm slightly confused, if you recieve any offer, for a roster spot or any money, that makes you a walk on? Sounds like a lot of people speculating without knowing the full situation.

He's not getting an scholarship money, which would classify as a walk-on. Though I agree with you in principle. He was offered a spot for very good reasons. He's an excellent two-way hockey player, with a high hockey IQ, and a high character kid. You need a players like Christian if you want to be a successful college hockey team.
Amen.

JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:37 pm

keepyourheadup wrote:Ok, I'm still trying to figure out how Horton's name got in the conversation, was there an offer most of us are not aware of?

As for Christian, the "walk on" label seems to get thrown around the neck of players who are invited to play but are not offered any financial help to start. Thompson, Student and Miller where likely in the same boat last year. Its important to understand that this is normally a year to year agreement and if Christian performs well he will no doubt earn his piece of the pie.
Exactly. It's year-to-year and he most definitely could earn some scholarship money if he plays well. And I expect him to :)

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:41 pm

Bodangles -

Please enlighten us with your knowledge of the game of hockey. You are the type of person that I wish Karl and Mitch would have the guts to ban from this site. Everything you post makes zero sense and you are constantly looking for an argument. It gets more and more pathetic everyday that you hide behind your "little" computer and babble about nothing.

The bottom line is the Gophers didnt get Besse. End of story! Move on! This discussion is about Christian Horn. He reminds me of a Christian Isaakson. Someone who wont play much his first season, maybe. He could be a kid down the road to fill a role needed on a second or third line down the road.

Maybe the Gophers should have gotten Crosby too. How did we miss out on Zucker. Unbelievable!!!

Maybe the Gophers should start rostering 40 players.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:13 pm

Tigers33 wrote:Bodangles -

Please enlighten us with your knowledge of the game of hockey. You are the type of person that I wish Karl and Mitch would have the guts to ban from this site. Everything you post makes zero sense and you are constantly looking for an argument. It gets more and more pathetic everyday that you hide behind your "little" computer and babble about nothing.

The bottom line is the Gophers didnt get Besse. End of story! Move on! This discussion is about Christian Horn. He reminds me of a Christian Isaakson. Someone who wont play much his first season, maybe. He could be a kid down the road to fill a role needed on a second or third line down the road.

Maybe the Gophers should have gotten Crosby too. How did we miss out on Zucker. Unbelievable!!!

Take you all day to write this sob story?

Glad you admit now that the Gophers missed out..

The moderators should really check into JDUBB. He's got five pages of posts on Besse. You want to talk about a mission to blast a kid... Besse must have ruined his life in some way. Check out his profile posts, it will even give you the creeps.

You- talk about going on a rampant rampage. The last couple months you've been in an argument with about everybody on here. :shock:

Your quick insults to people really show your shortcomings. Take a look back at your posts. Meds maybe?

Glad we have closure.. :D

JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:40 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:

The moderators should really check into JDUBB. He's got five pages of posts on Besse. You want to talk about a mission to blast a kid... Besse must have ruined his life in some way. Check out his profile posts, it will even give you the creeps.

You- talk about going on a rampant rampage. The last couple months you've been in an argument with about everybody on here. :shock:

Your quick insults to people really show your shortcomings. Take a look back at your posts. Meds maybe?

Haha.... I NEVER "blasted" Besse. Read the thread again tough guy. I said he's a great player, and I wish he wasn't going to one of our biggest rivals. That doesn't mean he would have been a good fit on the Gophers considering whom they are already bringing in. God forbid you obtain the wisdom to see the difference. Sigh.... :roll:

And personal attacks aren't going to help your argument (or lack thereof). They just further demonstrate that you are incapable of rational discussion :)

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:54 pm

JDUBBS1280 wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:

Haha.... I NEVER "blasted" Besse. Read the thread again tough guy. I said he's a great player, and I wish he wasn't going to one of our biggest rivals. That doesn't mean he would have been a good fit on the Gophers considering whom they are already bringing in.
'Tough guy"?? :lol:

How many times did you say he was a "one dimensional player"? "Spehar".. "just had a good tourney" etc. etc.

Did he bump your kid?

Your routine in the Besse topic was to bring him down when anyone said a positive about him.. Read through

It became sickening to me.

JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:01 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:
JDUBBS1280 wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:

Haha.... I NEVER "blasted" Besse. Read the thread again tough guy. I said he's a great player, and I wish he wasn't going to one of our biggest rivals. That doesn't mean he would have been a good fit on the Gophers considering whom they are already bringing in.

How many times did you say he was a "one dimensional player"? "Spehar".. "just had a good tourney" etc. etc.

Did he bump your kid?

Your routine in the Besse topic was to bring him down when anyone said a positive about him.. Read through

Exactly ZERO TIMES. That shows just how utterly clueless you are. This entire time everyone has been telling you that Besse is a high-end forward, and that the Gophers don't have room/have need for another high-end forward. And in your delusioned mind that translated into "blasting" Besse.

My God. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Never did I try to bring Besse down. I said the Gophers never seriously pursued him. There is a VERY big difference.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:42 pm

JDUBBS1280 wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
JDUBBS1280 wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:

Did he bump your kid?

Exactly ZERO TIMES. That shows just how utterly clueless you are. This entire time everyone has been telling you that Besse is a high-end forward, and that the Gophers don't have room/have need for another high-end forward. And in your delusioned mind that translated into "blasting" Besse.

My God. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Never did I try to bring Besse down. I said the Gophers never seriously pursued him. There is a VERY big difference.
It's all there to see when the folks read through.

If Besse is "far from a complete player" like you say, then the Gophers have missed the mark a plenty.

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:43 am

hey guys, you are about one post away from locking a thread concerning Christian Horn because you've turned it into the Besse argument again...LET IT GO! How about you either pm this topic or better yet get together and hash it out.

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:48 am

The following was a snippet of what Red Line Report recently said about Besse. Let me remind people that this is coming from a scouting service that could care less about any specific college program:
Mostly plays on the perimeter and isn't explosive, but has outstanding hockey sense and offensive instincts and thrives as a finisher. Rarely finishes a check and is a defensive afterthought.
The last sentence isn't exactly agreeing with the "complete player" take by one poster here. Yes, they laud his offense but nobody here has said anything bad about that part of his game anyway.

That quote at Red Line wasn't written by any Gopher fan but by a scouting service run by people who judge players for a living. I guess they must be saying it "after the fact" too because he didn't commit to the Gophers. :roll: :lol:

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:23 am

Gopher Blog wrote:The following was a snippet of what Red Line Report recently said about Besse. Let me remind people that this is coming from a scouting service that could care less about any specific college program:
Mostly plays on the perimeter and isn't explosive, but has outstanding hockey sense and offensive instincts and thrives as a finisher. Rarely finishes a check and is a defensive afterthought.
The last sentence isn't exactly agreeing with the "complete player" take by one poster here. Yes, they laud his offense but nobody here has said anything bad about that part of his game anyway.

That quote at Red Line wasn't written by any Gopher fan but by a scouting service run by people who judge players for a living. I guess they must be saying it "after the fact" too because he didn't commit to the Gophers. :roll: :lol:
The point was that he had to bring him down, each time, after someone complimented him.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:26 am

keepyourheadup wrote:hey guys, you are about one post away from locking a thread concerning Christian Horn because you've turned it into the Besse argument again...LET IT GO! How about you either pm this topic or better yet get together and hash it out.
Great advice!

Congrats to Christian!

JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:19 am

MrBoDangles wrote:
Gopher Blog wrote:The following was a snippet of what Red Line Report recently said about Besse. Let me remind people that this is coming from a scouting service that could care less about any specific college program:

The point was that he had to bring him down, each time, after someone complimented him.
Not true, at all. Was just pointing out that he doesn't have the skill set, and probably wouldn't be interested in, playing a checking role. I never said he was a bad player. On the contrary, I believe I explicitly said he was a high-end forward. He is just not the two-way player Horn is.
Last edited by JDUBBS1280 on Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:42 am, edited 4 times in total.

JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:20 am

keepyourheadup wrote:hey guys, you are about one post away from locking a thread concerning Christian Horn because you've turned it into the Besse argument again...LET IT GO! How about you either pm this topic or better yet get together and hash it out.
You're absolutely right.

Well deserved opportunity for Christian!

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:22 am

Enough with the argument about Besse. Move on or take it somewhere else.

Oldtimehockeyguy23

Post by Oldtimehockeyguy23 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:23 am

Tigers33 wrote:Bo Dangles roster would like something like this -

Aaron Ness, Cade Fairchild, Ben Marshall, Nate Schmitt, Kyle Rau, Justin Kloos, Jay Barriball, Sam Warning, Jordan Schroeder, Erik Haula, Littieri, Cammarta.

He wants all offensive type of players. Good luck keeping them happy. What he doesnt know is when it came playoff time the gophers top line was a line made up of role players - Matson, Condon, and Boyd. Their next best line might have been their 4th line. Matson had more to do with the success of this team than people think. He is a blue collar kid that plays that style on the ice. Who is the last Gophers captain to play that style.

What everyone is trying to say is you need role players. You cant have all the same type of kid. Last kid that put on a show in the state tournament was Pat White. I think the Gophers will pass, just because of that :)
Last gopher captain to play like that was Tony Lucia