Next year

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

transferprobs

Next year

Post by transferprobs »

I know it's early but who should everyone look for next year and I mean other then the obvious such as Besse
kniven

Re: Next year

Post by kniven »

transferprobs wrote:I know it's early but who should everyone look for next year and I mean other then the obvious such as Besse

All I can say is that 7AA will be very competitive. Cloquet, East, Andover, Grand Rapids, and Elk River in the mix. I also think that Duluth East will be allowed to reenter the Lake Superior Conference this year.
DubCHAGuy

Post by DubCHAGuy »

I would say watch out for Elk River in AA and East Grand Forks in A.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

7AA has been brewing for this buildup for 2 years now. 2 years ago it was a two horse race and Rapids surprised a lot of their own fans with that run to the section final. I remember 3 years ago looking at the Bantam A rankings and watching how that unfolded in sections and state and thinking this upcoming HS season would be incredible for 7AA. East was ranked #1 most of the season, however it was Rapids upsetting them in the final to go to state, Cloquet also made it to state in Bantam A's that year, Elk River was highly rated that year as well. Andover comes back with arguably the best goalie in the state. The Kuhlman-Michuad's line for Cloquet will be really exciting to watch this year. If we get a semi-finals with East, Cloquet, Rapids, and Elk River in 7AA, the crowds will be phenomenal at Amsoil.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
Tornadoes 2003StateChamps

Post by Tornadoes 2003StateChamps »

"Arguably the best goalie in the State" How did he do at the tryouts at NDTP? If he was that great, why didn't he get an offer to stay? They saw through his father's connections and sent them a very loud message. He needs a few months at Stauber to correct his issues.

Cloquet is the only team with any work ethic; they will be hard to beat.

Andover can't handle the pressure; too many selfish individuals, especially the kid (8) who's in the box slashing any one that chirps at him. Elk River might have a chance to do something but they lack experience between the pipes and obviously coaching will be a huge factor.
TheHockeyDJ wrote:7AA has been brewing for this buildup for 2 years now. 2 years ago it was a two horse race and Rapids surprised a lot of their own fans with that run to the section final. I remember 3 years ago looking at the Bantam A rankings and watching how that unfolded in sections and state and thinking this upcoming HS season would be incredible for 7AA. East was ranked #1 most of the season, however it was Rapids upsetting them in the final to go to state, Cloquet also made it to state in Bantam A's that year, Elk River was highly rated that year as well. Andover comes back with arguably the best goalie in the state. The Kuhlman-Michuad's line for Cloquet will be really exciting to watch this year. If we get a semi-finals with East, Cloquet, Rapids, and Elk River in 7AA, the crowds will be phenomenal at Amsoil.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

I'm not an Andover fan, but geez, why all the venom against Chase Perry?
ripping1

Post by ripping1 »

Agreed - Andover can't handle the pressure; Elk River lacks experience between the pipes and obviously coaching will be a huge factor. Perry is good but needs more experience. He is not strong enough to carry the team.

Tonka, Hill Murray and Benilde will be the teams to watch. All have returning talent.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Just to throw some of the other sections into the conversation...

-Will anyone (Farmington, maybe?) rise up to challenge the Lakevilles in 1AA? Can this section produce another team capable of a big upset?

-Can anyone compete with Moorhead or Roseau in 8AA?

-What on earth do we make of 3AA? Defending champ Eagan loses a lot, and there is no obvious team to step up and take their place. Does that mean they can manage a repeat? Will Cretin bring in some good talent? Can one of the Woodbury teams finally do something with that very good youth program? Rosemount had a good bantam team last year; any chance Stepan can turn the team around right away?
TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

karl(east) wrote:Just to throw some of the other sections into the conversation...

-Will anyone (Farmington, maybe?) rise up to challenge the Lakevilles in 1AA? Can this section produce another team capable of a big upset?

-Can anyone compete with Moorhead or Roseau in 8AA?

-What on earth do we make of 3AA? Defending champ Eagan loses a lot, and there is no obvious team to step up and take their place. Does that mean they can manage a repeat? Will Cretin bring in some good talent? Can one of the Woodbury teams finally do something with that very good youth program? Rosemount had a good bantam team last year; any chance Stepan can turn the team around right away?
The way things are going these days for EGF. I wish they would move up to AA. I believe they would give Moorhead and Roseau a run for the money, I mean the X.
4thlineproblems

Post by 4thlineproblems »

TTpuckster wrote:
karl(east) wrote:Just to throw some of the other sections into the conversation... -Will anyone (Farmington, maybe?) rise up to challenge the Lakevilles in 1AA? Can this section produce another team capable of a big upset? -Can anyone compete with Moorhead or Roseau in 8AA? -What on earth do we make of 3AA? Defending champ Eagan loses a lot, and there is no obvious team to step up and take their place. Does that mean they can manage a repeat? Will Cretin bring in some good talent? Can one of the Woodbury teams finally do something with that very good youth program? Rosemount had a good bantam team last year; any chance Stepan can turn the team around right away?
The way things are going these days for EGF. I wish they would move up to AA. I believe they would give Moorhead and Roseau a run for the money, I mean the X.
I agree TT. EGF had alot of success in youth programs last year and will be good not only next year but also in the next few years. It will be fun to see how they they can do in 8A and possibly challenge some privite school powers at the x
Wallyworld

Hill Murray - & Who has best line in state?

Post by Wallyworld »

Hill Murray- With That first line of Jake Guentzel, Zach Lavalle and Willie Brown all back (Guentzel and Lavalle were juniors last year while brown was just a Soph who put up 17 goals in reg season) along with G Dugas and Heinrich to mold that young defensive corps (a couple of which switched from F to D last year because of lack but will be up to speed this year) they could be even better..

Lechner should have been coach of the year as he had lost half his team, only had 1 D back, and took them to the finals..

They start with BSM so we'll find out soon. Hill isn't the main team I cheer for but I see most of their games so I'm not just a homer.

Which is a good question. Any other candidates for best line in the coming year?.
kniven

Re: Hill Murray - & Who has best line in state?

Post by kniven »

I really don't pay a ton of attention state wide. 7AA is my section so my opinion reflects this. Honestly I would put Kuhlman, Westin, and Beau Michaud from Cloquet up against anybody in the state. Also, I really don't think you can underestimate Valesano, Toscano, and Lungren from Duluth East.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

I would also keep a eye out for Spinner, Kundson, Bergh line at EP. They put up 95 points with the toughest schedule in the state and missed the last 5 games together due to injury. I have a feeling they should be in the top 5 next year
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Assuming they'll be on the same line, Avery Peterson, Reid Holum, and Cody Mann will score a ton of goals next year for Rapids.
bsmguy

Post by bsmguy »

I think BSM's first line of Besse, Moore, Labosky will be fun to watch.

-They had 100 goals last year (Besse-52, Moore-29, Labosky-19) and 224 points.
- Besse is among the preseason favorites to win Mr. Hockey.
-Any of the three could end up as Mr. Hockey finalists, depending on how the season goes.
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

karl(east) wrote:Just to throw some of the other sections into the conversation...

I'll say this early, and often...the drop off in talent level between this year's Eagan team and next year's won't be as precipitous as most folks expect. Really good PeeWee A and Bantam A teams for same age group...they always had problems beating Woodbury in District 8, but that group was split three-ways between Woodbury High, East Ridge and H-M. Factor in an upgrade in goal...the Cats will manage just fine next season.
green4

Post by green4 »

ripping1 wrote:Agreed - Andover can't handle the pressure; Elk River lacks experience between the pipes and obviously coaching will be a huge factor. Perry is good but needs more experience. He is not strong enough to carry the team.

Tonka, Hill Murray and Benilde will be the teams to watch. All have returning talent.
i agree besides tonka. i think you swith tonka in for edina. Tonka lost a decent amount while edina lost probably the least of any team this year
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Eastridge may be a team to watch.
observer

Post by observer »

I'll say this early, and often...the drop off in talent level between this year's Eagan team and next year's won't be as precipitous as most folks expect. Really good PeeWee A and Bantam A teams for same age group.
What? Where are you from? Eagan will likely never have a group like the one that just came through. Most suburbs rise, prosper, and then fall.

Bantam A ranked 34th (17-21-4)
http://myhockeyrankings.com/rank.php?y=2011&a=b&v=166

PeeWee A ranked 68th (7-19-1)
http://myhockeyrankings.com/rank.php?y=2011&a=p&v=164

That is a long way from the top 5 in the State and a State Tourney berth.
gopherpuck516

Post by gopherpuck516 »

observer wrote:
I'll say this early, and often...the drop off in talent level between this year's Eagan team and next year's won't be as precipitous as most folks expect. Really good PeeWee A and Bantam A teams for same age group.
What? Where are you from? Eagan will likely never have a group like the one that just came through. Most suburbs rise, prosper, and then fall.

I interpreted his reference to Bantam and Peewee teams as when the kids who will be junirs and seniors this coming year were in peewees. And while they lose a ton of talented players they have a few solid players returning and their section won't be very strong, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them in St Paul again next year.
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

gopherpuck516 wrote:
observer wrote:

I interpreted his reference to Bantam and Peewee teams as when the kids who will be junirs and seniors this coming year were in peewees. And while they lose a ton of talented players they have a few solid players returning and their section won't be very strong, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them in St Paul again next year.
Yes. Apparently "for same age group" wasn't clear enough. Eagan Bantam A team from two years ago was top-ten ranked (top 5 in LPH rankings for at least a few weeks that season, IIRC).

http://myhockeyrankings.com/rank.php?y=2009&a=b&v=166

But hey, forget I said anything...let 'em fly under the radar.
Simpleton

Post by Simpleton »

old goalie85 wrote:Eastridge may be a team to watch.
Possibly...they'll have 12-13 players from back-to-back Bantam A state finals teams and return their top 2 lines and top D pair.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

With Tonka losing the obvious plus Lettieri, I think they will probably be expected on the low side. Hopefully this will be one of the years where that works in their favor. They clearly return a lot of talent (Thie, Vanelli, Coatta, Ramsey, Ridge, Ciacco) and the JV lost but a few games, but they will have their work cut out in conference and out. At some point Urick needs to deliver a title or be replaced as good as he's been.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

almostashappy wrote:

I'll say this early, and often...the drop off in talent level between this year's Eagan team and next year's won't be as precipitous as most folks expect. Really good PeeWee A and Bantam A teams for same age group...they always had problems beating Woodbury in District 8, but that group was split three-ways between Woodbury High, East Ridge and H-M. Factor in an upgrade in goal...the Cats will manage just fine next season.
Makes sense; though I haven't started looking at things too intently, they're probably the only team in the section I'd consider for preseason top 15. The teams behind them are very unsettled, and I wonder which of them, if any, might step it up and give Eagan a run.

I'll throw sections 4 and 5 into the conversation, too...is there any way those two don't end up Hill-WBL and Blaine-MG in the finals?
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

karl(east) wrote:
almostashappy wrote:

Makes sense; though I haven't started looking at things too intently, they're probably the only team in the section I'd consider for preseason top 15. The teams behind them are very unsettled, and I wonder which of them, if any, might step it up and give Eagan a run.

I'll throw sections 4 and 5 into the conversation, too...is there any way those two don't end up Hill-WBL and Blaine-MG in the finals?
I will be very surprised to see WBL in the section final next year. They should at least be able to get by the quarter finals though. #-o