Morinville Resigns from Moorhead

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

blueblood

Morinville Resigns from Moorhead

Post by blueblood »

Saw an article posted by MSHSL that Head Coach Dave Morniville has resigned from Moorhead.

Any news from Spudland on this?
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Wow, did a great job! I'm sure through the years he made some enemies and probavly got tired of the BS. I believe he use to scout for an NHL team, maybe he went back to that or will continue teaching and scout part time.
Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 »

mulefarm wrote:Wow, did a great job! I'm sure through the years he made some enemies and probavly got tired of the BS. I believe he use to scout for an NHL team, maybe he went back to that or will continue teaching and scout part time.
Dave doesn't teach, but he does have a fairly good business with prosthetics. Children are older, he's mid-50's, maybe it was time to do other things during the hockey season.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Wow, sounds like we're headed for a new era in Moorhead. Morinville's been a fixture behind their bench at State for a while now. He never could break through and win the big one, but he also scored some big upsets in recent years. His teams usually fit the bill of the smart, hard-working group of northerners, and he also leaves a strong program intact for whoever follows him.

I wish him a happy retirement, and hope the Spuds can find a strong replacement to carry on the tradition.
SPUDNUT

Post by SPUDNUT »

Sure would like to get Terry Cullen back !
CitiesSpudsGuy

Post by CitiesSpudsGuy »

According to Potatohead9, Dave Christian has expressed interest in the Spuds head coaching position in the past, so maybe he would be a candidate...?? That would be very interesting if it happened.
50+ years of Spuds Hockey
Section 3A HockeyScout

Post by Section 3A HockeyScout »

What about Jon Ammerman former spud player played at SCSU had a terrific season turning around a Windom program in Section 3A this year.

Could they go with the young guy and have him for years to come. Knows the game and played on some very good Moorhead teams in terms of understanding the spud tradition and how they play...

Could he be the next coach at Moorhead???
SPUDNUT

Post by SPUDNUT »

CitiesSpudsGuy wrote:According to Potatohead9, Dave Christian has expressed interest in the Spuds head coaching position in the past, so maybe he would be a candidate...?? That would be very interesting if it happened.

Would probably be very good, too. Been working with youth hockey for years & has a ton of experience (College, Olympic & NHL). Think he still holds the record for quickest goal by an NHL rookie (7 seconds into his 1st shift).
black sheep

Post by black sheep »

karl(east) wrote:group of northerners
not northerners, well south of the northern cutoff...and they do not support any of the northern events...they want to eat cake.
SPUDNUT

Post by SPUDNUT »

black sheep wrote:
not northerners, well south of the northern cutoff...and they do not support any of the northern events...they want to eat cake.

Some people wouldn't know cake if they had a mouthful - so, where's your self-proclaimed "cutoff" ?
TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

SPUDNUT wrote:
black sheep wrote:

Some people wouldn't know cake if they had a mouthful - so, where's your self-proclaimed "cutoff" ?
For black sheep...Just below the chin.
black sheep

Post by black sheep »

SPUDNUT wrote:
black sheep wrote:

its ok spudies...as much of a northern as St. Cloud or Buffalo suppose.
rainier

Post by rainier »

black sheep wrote:
SPUDNUT wrote:
black sheep wrote: not northerners, well south of the northern cutoff...and they do not support any of the northern events...they want to eat cake.

its ok spudies...as much of a northern as St. Cloud or Buffalo suppose.
Well south of the northern cutoff??? Where is your cutoff? Bemidji?
Duluth and Cloquet are further south than Moorhead, so if you consider those cities southern, then I guess so, but the other 99.99% of MN would say they are northern cities.
black sheep

Post by black sheep »

rainier wrote:Where is your cutoff? Bemidji?
Its widely accepted that MN HWY #2 is the line, with a grace line extending to a couple of eastern teams.

im sorry...but moorhead is not a northern team. they are a city team.
highandwide

Post by highandwide »

218er = Northern Minnesota!
TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

black sheep wrote:
Its widely accepted that MN HWY #2 is the line, with a grace line extending to a couple of eastern teams.

It is widely accepted by whom?
And...That would include Duluth teams.
Which are on about the same lattitude as Moorhead. :roll:
scienceguy

Post by scienceguy »

Leaving on a high note was probably part of his decision. With Bitzer leaving goaltending will be an issue. This group as Bantams were an average team losing to Fergus Falls, East Grand, Roseau and Brainerd in VFW and district play.
defense

Post by defense »

Kinda think Moorhead is a west central team...just my opinion.

Read an article in the Fargo Forum, couple things on that: Moorhead is not a small school, and Moorhead is NOT bigger than the state of Minnesota.

Moorhead has done well, and I think they will fill the position with someone very qualified and be just fine.

Speaking of the Cullens, how many coaches have come out of International Falls???? Wow. three in my local program's history alone.....
hipcheck

had his run

Post by hipcheck »

Morinville had his run with quality players. His only "sin" is he did not win a tiltle. He has produced many quality players and conducted himself as he should for high school students. I wish him luck on moving on.

Who fills those shoes must continue developing the players and uphold the standards that the Spuds have shown through the years. I hope they find a coach the program warrants!
CitiesSpudsGuy

Post by CitiesSpudsGuy »

black sheep wrote:

Check out this map of Minnesota and look at where Moorhead is (if you're smarter than a 5th grader and can find it). Some people are just geographically challenged I guess.

http://www.mapsofworld.com/usa/states/m ... a-map.html
50+ years of Spuds Hockey
TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

CitiesSpudsGuy wrote:
black sheep wrote:

Check out this map of Minnesota and look at where Moorhead is (if you're smarter than a 5th grader and can find it). Some people are just geographically challenged I guess.

Not bad Black Sheep.
Next you'll get them to show a map of the US arguing that Minnesota is in the North :D :D :D
black sheep

Post by black sheep »

TTpuckster wrote:
CitiesSpudsGuy wrote:
black sheep wrote: Its widely accepted that MN HWY #2 is the line, with a grace line extending to a couple of eastern teams.

Not bad Black Sheep.
Next you'll get them to show a map of the US arguing that Minnesota is in the North :D :D :D
Actually I thought for the longest time Moorhead was in North Dakota, isn't that where they get a lot of their players?
TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

black sheep wrote:
TTpuckster wrote:
CitiesSpudsGuy wrote: Check out this map of Minnesota and look at where Moorhead is (if you're smarter than a 5th grader and can find it). Some people are just geographically challenged I guess.

Not bad Black Sheep.
Actually I thought for the longest time Moorhead was in North Dakota, isn't that where they get a lot of their players?

Impossible, the spud teams have been too good to havd ND players on it :D

(Now, that ought to get some good responses) :lol: :lol: :lol:
EHSHack

Post by EHSHack »

You guys are all idiots. Of course Moorhead is a northern team. How can a team that is located in the Canadian province of Minnesota not be considered northern....
Go Hounds.
SPUDNUT

Post by SPUDNUT »

If that's true, it puts Roseau in the middle of Lake Winnipeg !