Transfers next year

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

minnscout

Transfers next year

Post by minnscout »

Has anyone heard of any players leaving current HS and transferring to new school for next year? I heard there are a couple high end private school players going to new private school next year. I do not want to mention names until I know for sure.
STAdangler

Post by STAdangler »

Connor Hurley probably since he can't stay at a place for more than one year
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

That coming from someone affiliated with STA. Ha!
eastsideguy

Re: Transfers next year

Post by eastsideguy »

minnscout wrote:Has anyone heard of any players leaving current HS and transferring to new school for next year? I heard there are a couple high end private school players going to new private school next year. I do not want to mention names until I know for sure.
Maybe someone going from Blake to Benilde?
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

I am sure they are transferring for the education, right?
mngopherfan

Post by mngopherfan »

eastsideguy wrote:
minnscout wrote:Has anyone heard of any players leaving current HS and transferring to new school for next year? I heard there are a couple high end private school players going to new private school next year. I do not want to mention names until I know for sure.
Maybe someone going from Blake to Benilde?
How many are we talking about here??
observer

Post by observer »

Unlikely, as after 9th grade any transfers will have to sit a season of varsity play according to the MSHSL rules.

The discussion is a little sickening. Parents, players, coaches and school administrators showing a lack of ethics (following rules) and class.
The Best in the Bizz3

Post by The Best in the Bizz3 »

observer wrote:Unlikely, as after 9th grade any transfers will have to sit a season of varsity play according to the MSHSL rules.

The discussion is a little sickening. Parents, players, coaches and school administrators showing a lack of ethics (following rules) and class.
aare you lost buddy? All these Blake kids have to do is move this summer, out of their current school district, and transfer to bSM. Then wuhla, they are now playing for the defending state champions...
The best, period
blewbyyou

Post by blewbyyou »

... yet those Blake kids would not be eligible at any other public H.S. if they chose to open enroll (after moving) at any public H.S. rather than enroll/play at the public H.S. that their new home address is tied to. The bias towards private schools is one thing that makes the transfer rule so controversial. And since some communities feed multiple public high schools, movers/buyers beware if you plan to open enroll at a public H.S. other than the one you and your new address are bound to geographically.
observer

Post by observer »

All these Blake kids have to do is move this summer,
Thanks for the info. I did hear Blake is slacking on the academic front. Oh, I mean hockey front. No big deal, just move your home and family so your spoiled kid can change hockey teams.
The Best in the Bizz3

Post by The Best in the Bizz3 »

observer wrote:
All these Blake kids have to do is move this summer,
Thanks for the info. I did hear Blake is slacking on the academic front. Oh, I mean hockey front. No big deal, just move your home and family so your spoiled kid can change hockey teams.
i think you're forgetting the point. these kids and the parents want to get to the x and play on a good team. as long as they have the money, they will do it. plus its not like they played youth hockey for blake, they have already left an organization before. it probably doesn't matter to them.
The best, period
observer

Post by observer »

Good summary.

Selfish.
spectatorfun

Post by spectatorfun »

I have heard that 2 guys from blake are leaving. Austin either back to edina or benilde and then naas to benilde
flatontheice

Post by flatontheice »

spectatorfun wrote:I have heard that 2 guys from blake are leaving. Austin either back to edina or benilde and then naas to benilde
What happens to the "other" two recruits that Pauly promised ice time to? I was told they were both elected captains for next years team too. Nothing like loyalty to your teammates. Guess thats the way it is these days.
observer

Post by observer »

Ken Pauly, head of the Minnesota Coaches Association.

What rules? Just doing what's right to support all of high school hockey in Minnesota.
ripping1

Post by ripping1 »

Kids move from public school to public school for the same reason. At least moving to a private school they are trying to get a better education. Moving from 1 top rated public school to another top rated public school is solely for the sports. As far as Blake vs BSM. Blake's tuition is double BSM and BSM has the religious aspect. Maybe it is financial or religious reasons. No one knows unless they live in the household. The private school bashing is ridiculous.
Puck to the head

Transfers next year

Post by Puck to the head »

There are rumors floating around about some transfers going to Eagan. Supposedly a kid from STA, one from Rosemount, and another from Maple Grove. Not sure if any or all is true, but that is what I have heard.
Wside

Post by Wside »

If blewbyyou is correct how did Hurley move to Edina and play in the same year same with Thie at Tonka?
SWPrez

Post by SWPrez »

Wside wrote:If blewbyyou is correct how did Hurley move to Edina and play in the same year same with Thie at Tonka?
@wside -

There are two ways to transfer - no questions asked:
1) A divorce with parents at two different addresses
2) A physical move out of their school district

Hurley and Thie fell under the no questions asked category.

Economic hardship can be claimed for private moving to public....but this is 50/50. MSHSL will review financials. A player wanting to do this must enroll at their new school and then wait right up to the hockey season as the MSHSL tends to work slow on these. You are "all in" and if they reject....no hockey for you. A private school player did this for the 10-11 hockey season and was turned down by MSHSL - thus playing JV that season for their new public school.

Some private school players also benefit from the current rule as some of their families have two homes....thus they just change registration address and move schools when they feel like it.

Now, with that said, over the years I have seen a hockey player transfer twice and claim that the second transfer was for academic (school they attended didn't have language AP courses) and other extracurriculars (school had an orchestra program and old school didn't) in addition to hockey. It took three appeals to the HSL and attorney involvement ($$$) to get it done.

I have also seen a player that transfered under the divorce rule, but then transfer again with no special circumstance. In that situation, a pleading (by an attorney - $$$) had been drafted (and given to the MSHSL) that was going to be filed if denied. Player started that night...

Sooner or later, someone who wants to shell out some lawyer $$$ is going to challenge the MSHSL transfer rule. Perhaps these Blake kids are the ones, if they are in fact looking at transferring, that are going to take on the high school league.

Overall, you want to transfer outside of the "no questions asked" categories you better lawyer up.
transferprobs

Post by transferprobs »

Naas is already attending BSM Austin will more then likely go with him to play with moore and laubosky who also played with austin in edina
Inspector Cluseau

Post by Inspector Cluseau »

"At least moving to a private school they are trying to get a better education"

Are you kidding us! Some people really don't get it!! WOW!!
57special

Post by 57special »

"Honey, I love you, but in order to further our son's hockey career we need a divorce."
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

57special wrote:"Honey, I love you, but in order to further our son's hockey career we need a divorce."
Dammit! And to think I went with the whole "you attacked me with a salad fork argument" :oops:
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

transferprobs wrote:Naas is already attending BSM Austin will more then likely go with him to play with moore and laubosky who also played with austin in edina
Not sure it has much to do with who they played with in the youth association. Sister played for no less than three high schools - ending with Edina.
Wallyworld

Post by Wallyworld »

Hey Minnscout - I heard a rumour of the same nature. 2-3 guys going from an elite to a private..No one can confirm anything yet.. was the team your thinking of in the state tourney this year but didn't win it?