letter from Jack Connolly to Minnesota Hockey

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

dangle_snipe

Post by dangle_snipe »

I think what he is trying to say is that compared to other areas of the country MN has a great model that works for a large amount of kids. The system we have gives so many kids the chance to play hockey its amazing. I dont think its about transfers, and private schools as much as its about being able to stay in state with your friends and still maintain good competition.

When i met kids from texas, Cali, Illinois, and a few other states while playing hockey they didnt even realize that hockey like we have existed. I dont feel like typing a book about how great we have it cause i know i wont change anybodys mind. I would just consider that most kids atent gonna be D1 and most kids arent gonna play in the show but I guarantee most kids are gonna have an opportunity to learn the game, learn life lessons, and have fun. They can do all of those things and still maintain good competition and being with their friends, wether their friends are at Edina or BSM.

Lets just try to remember its about the Kids.
The Insider

Post by The Insider »

Napalm187 wrote:This is a great letter and congratulations to Jack for all his accomplishments. I enjoyed watching him play at UMD. He has been one of the best college players for the last 2-3 years.

If he played Duluth East as a Pee wee and Bantam...how is that not being a "traitor" as so many of the association pride people on here would have you believe? I could care less what any kid wants to do with his hs, college,junior or pro career. That is why this is America, a free country. But do you really think all of his "neighborhood buddies" came with him to Marshall? How do you think Mike Randolph feels about this? If Connolly had been at East in high school he probably would've been the player to put them over the hump and win the state title. During those years East was always at State and always played teams hard...but were always missing a little star power and scoring. Don't you think Connolly coulda been that guy? I'm sure some of his buddies went to East and they could've used him. That is my point. That is his hometown association.

How is this any different from Besse leaving Wayzata to play for BSM? Don't you think they could've used him there the last couple of years and maybe put them over the hump in the Lucia/Camarensi year two years ago?
His older brother attended Duluth Marshall first. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe his father attended Cathedral (Marshall) back in the day. So it is more than just hockey, believe it or not, academics and family traditions come into play.
celly93

Post by celly93 »

Napalm187 wrote:This is a great letter and congratulations to Jack for all his accomplishments. I enjoyed watching him play at UMD. He has been one of the best college players for the last 2-3 years.

If he played Duluth East as a Pee wee and Bantam...how is that not being a "traitor" as so many of the association pride people on here would have you believe? I could care less what any kid wants to do with his hs, college,junior or pro career. That is why this is America, a free country. But do you really think all of his "neighborhood buddies" came with him to Marshall? How do you think Mike Randolph feels about this? If Connolly had been at East in high school he probably would've been the player to put them over the hump and win the state title. During those years East was always at State and always played teams hard...but were always missing a little star power and scoring. Don't you think Connolly coulda been that guy? I'm sure some of his buddies went to East and they could've used him. That is my point. That is his hometown association.

How is this any different from Besse leaving Wayzata to play for BSM? Don't you think they could've used him there the last couple of years and maybe put them over the hump in the Lucia/Camarensi year two years ago?
Besse's older brother went to BSM, and I'm not sure Besse ever even attended public school, so don't make him out to be a "traitor".
The Best in the Bizz3

Post by The Best in the Bizz3 »

Besse attended Breck all the way through middle school. He just lived in Plymouth.
The best, period
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

He...?... decided to write about how great community based Hockey is? :shock:

I would bet the farm(pretty obvious) that someone with Minnesota Hockey asked him to.

:-({|=

So it's great to leave a crappy public program(old Central) for good training at a private school, but total taboo to leave the 25 game HS League for 50-70 games and much better training with the other options? I'm all for MN Hockey staying strong, but you fellas are full of double standards..
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

MrBoDangles wrote:He...?... decided to write about how great community based Hockey is? :shock:

I would bet the farm(pretty obvious) that someone with Minnesota Hockey asked him to.

So it's great to leave a crappy public program(old Central) for good training at a private school, but total taboo to leave the 25 game HS League for 50-70 games and much better training with the other options? I'm all for MN Hockey staying strong, but you fellas are full of double standards..
:roll:
itsmorefun

Post by itsmorefun »

MrBoDangles wrote:He...?... decided to write about how great community based Hockey is? :shock:

Finally someone said it! So obvious,,,
Napalm187

Post by Napalm187 »

If you read my post a little more closely, you would've seen the quote-unquote quoatations around "traitor". Also, look at what I talk about the freedom of choice. Sometime the IQ level of this "bored" is very suspect.

I don't think Connolly or Besse are "traitors". More power to them. To each, his own. I was making a point of chiding all the community-based hockey association cheerleaders. And Mn hockey, with their not-so-hidden agenda.

I've had people in my family play with their hometown association, play at a private school and my cousin left early to play in the USHL. Basically, who cares? I can't for the life of me figure out some people who view loyalty to their hometown as absolute? Is it a two-sided street?
woodley

Post by woodley »

Wow, this discussion is kinda nuts!!

All Jack did was compliment community based hockey. It worked for him. 99% of all the kids that play hockey won't don a college sweater. I'm an old fart, but my memories are being on the rink with my friends and neighbors, hanging out in the warming house, trying not to cry 'cause my frozen feet were warming up, playing for my community. Was I any good, Nope. . . neither are the vast majority of the kids who play this game. Did community hockey develop a lifelong love of the game. . .absolutely!!

Systems are not developed based on the top 1 percent. They are developed to provide the greatest benefit to the greatest number of kids. I faced this with a gifted academic child. We had to seek out opportunities for him to develop his unique giftedness. Did this mean the schools should change their curriculum? Absolutely not!! They were put together to provide the greatest benefit to the greatest number. Because my child was out there, it became my wife and my job to find the challenges he needed.

Ease up folks, way less than 5 percent of kids who start playing hockey will play even Tier 3 juniors. Let's try to remember, it really is about the kids having fun and developing a love of our game.

Peace to all!!
greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 »

Woodley, well stated. I would like to add that the game of hockey has given a tremendous amount to my family. In return I have tried to give something back but a funny thing keeps happening, I still keep receiving enjoyment for my family and I not to mention the many friendships developed over a 40 year period.
I will admit at my age I do not miss flooding the outdoor rinks and painting the lines, but to watch the facial expression of the new skater who finally stops without hitting the boards or falling down is really priceless!