Pick #188 for the Wild...

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

If you were drafting for the Wild....would you take:

Kloos
33%
Nanne
17%
Someone else
50%

Total votes: 30

FREDFLINTSTONE

Pick #188 for the Wild...

Post by FREDFLINTSTONE » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:04 am

Wow. Who's tending the store?

EHSHack

Post by EHSHack » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:47 am

Wait so Kloos didnt get taken? After all this hoopla about him?
Go Hounds.

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:40 pm

I think its important to not make this a Kloos/Nanne issue. 210 other players were drafted not named Kloos so the Wild obviously felt the same way about him that the rest of the teams did. You can dissect the selection of Louie till the cows come home but Kloos isn't really part of that equation. As for the hoopla....much like Louie didn't create the all the acrimony around his selection, all Justin did was line up and play, the hoopla was generated outside of his control. The truth is this years draft was an indictment of Minnesota high school hockey and just how little scouts think of the level of competition. For some of the big kids like Baskin and Olson, among others, you would like to believe that teams would grab them with a late pick just due to their size and the possibility that they will continue to develop as players.

FREDFLINTSTONE

Post by FREDFLINTSTONE » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:10 pm

keepyourheadup wrote:I think its important to not make this a Kloos/Nanne issue. 210 other players were drafted not named Kloos so the Wild obviously felt the same way about him that the rest of the teams did. You can dissect the selection of Louie till the cows come home but Kloos isn't really part of that equation. As for the hoopla....much like Louie didn't create the all the acrimony around his selection, all Justin did was line up and play, the hoopla was generated outside of his control. The truth is this years draft was an indictment of Minnesota high school hockey and just how little scouts think of the level of competition. For some of the big kids like Baskin and Olson, among others, you would like to believe that teams would grab them with a late pick just due to their size and the possibility that they will continue to develop as players.
I think it should be a Kloos/Nanne issue.....

take a look at the history of both......Kloos has been a top 93 born player in squirts, peewees, bantams, high school....won Mr. Hockey, led the state in scoring, and helped pull off one of the biggest upsets in High school hockey tournament history with a little above average Lakeville team which got 90% of it's scoring from one line. Give me the up side of Nanne other than who his grandpa is? Nanne should not have been drafted.....maybe neither should have been drafted, but it's a no brainer of the two who should have been drafted. Like some else said, the wild should have drafted Micky Mouse....too bad Micky doesn't have a scout dad for the wild.

nahc

Post by nahc » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:35 pm

Fred:

Totally agree.........and this is a true slap in the face of Minnesota High School hockey and its board...........

Scout716

Post by Scout716 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:36 pm

We may not agree with the selection, But thats OK - It was not Ours to make. Maybe it is a favor to argueably the most influential hockey guy in this state. So be it, I wish My grandpa was that influential to give me an opportunity such as this. But he wasn't so I live with it. The Late rounds draft picks such as this are looked at as a 4 - 6 year Project. This player will have ever opportunity to develop over the next 4 - 6 years to see if he reaches the potential the Wild are hoping for. They chose a player the has the family values, character, possibly work ethic, etc that will possibly be developed into a future NHL'r. Lets congratulate Him as a Draft selection from MN (Home Grown) I wish all the MN players the Best of luck as they work towards their future!

xy

Post by xy » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:10 pm

I also don't see any reason to personalize it. It's not an issue of who they picked versus a specific player X, whoever he is, since no matter who X is there's realistically little chance he'll play in the NHL if he was still available in the 7th round. The issue, which isn't really that big a deal and which all of us, including me, have probably spent too much time on, is more generally whether the Wild decision-makers are thinking about the right things in making low-round draft choices.

Wasilla

Post by Wasilla » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:42 pm

FREDFLINTSTONE wrote:
keepyourheadup wrote:I think its important to not make this a Kloos/Nanne issue. 210 other players were drafted not named Kloos so the Wild obviously felt the same way about him that the rest of the teams did. You can dissect the selection of Louie till the cows come home but Kloos isn't really part of that equation. As for the hoopla....much like Louie didn't create the all the acrimony around his selection, all Justin did was line up and play, the hoopla was generated outside of his control. The truth is this years draft was an indictment of Minnesota high school hockey and just how little scouts think of the level of competition. For some of the big kids like Baskin and Olson, among others, you would like to believe that teams would grab them with a late pick just due to their size and the possibility that they will continue to develop as players.

take a look at the history of both......Kloos has been a top 93 born player in squirts, peewees, bantams, high school....won Mr. Hockey, led the state in scoring, and helped pull off one of the biggest upsets in High school hockey tournament history with a little above average Lakeville team which got 90% of it's scoring from one line. Give me the up side of Nanne other than who his grandpa is? Nanne should not have been drafted.....maybe neither should have been drafted, but it's a no brainer of the two who should have been drafted. Like some else said, the wild should have drafted Micky Mouse....too bad Micky doesn't have a scout dad for the wild.
:lol: Fred: Did you get struck by lightening or something? Why the change of heart regarding family preference all the sudden?

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:45 pm

NHL picks are about projections down the road. Not what you've done in youth hockey. I don't think anybody would argue that Kloos isn't the better offensive talent, etc. But that's not necessarily what matters to the NHL guys since they have to consider how will a guy handle the physicality of the pro game, etc.

I guess the way I would put it is this... Jack Connolly was a very good HS player, a very good USHL player, and a very good NCAA player. Yet he is going to be playing in Sweden next year. I'd say skills wise, he is better than some of the bigger guys from college that are going to get NHL opportunities. Its just how the NHL seems to handle things. The size bias is tough for a lot of these guys to overcome.

The other thing to realize is it is probably better to be Kloos in this case because if he does prove himself as a top flight prospect in the coming years, he'll be able to negotiate with all NHL teams as opposed to just one. I think Lou Nanne even said he kind of wanted Louie to be undrafted for that very reason. Once you get to those very late round picks, you are almost better off as a player to not be drafted as it gives you more flexibility to find the best fit.

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:14 pm

I could not agree with you more than what you said in that last paragraph. That sums it up perfectly.

As for Louie being selected by the Wild, I see no problem with it at all.

FREDFLINTSTONE

Post by FREDFLINTSTONE » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:27 pm

Gopher Blog wrote:NHL picks are about projections down the road. Not what you've done in youth hockey. I don't think anybody would argue that Kloos isn't the better offensive talent, etc. But that's not necessarily what matters to the NHL guys since they have to consider how will a guy handle the physicality of the pro game, etc.

I guess the way I would put it is this... Jack Connolly was a very good HS player, a very good USHL player, and a very good NCAA player. Yet he is going to be playing in Sweden next year. I'd say skills wise, he is better than some of the bigger guys from college that are going to get NHL opportunities. Its just how the NHL seems to handle things. The size bias is tough for a lot of these guys to overcome.

The other thin spotsg to realize is it is probably better to be Kloos in this case because if he does prove himself as a top flight prospect in the coming years, he'll be able to negotiate with all NHL teams as opposed to just one. I think Lou Nanne even said he kind of wanted Louie to be undrafted for that very reason. Once you get to those very late round picks, you are almost better off as a player to not be drafted as it gives you more flexibility to find the best fit.
I guess if i was going to gamble on a player, I would take the kid who atleast dominated every level he has played, led the state in scoring, and won Mr.hockey.....Nanne hasn't dominated any level. All major poles had Kloos ranked higher, with the closest being 9 spots.......the wild must know something......ya right....then you wonder why they can't make the play offs.......i just figured it out typing right now......the wild couldn't draft Kloos because they don't like Mr. Hockey's....that has to be why they got rid of the other Mr.Hockey who is now with Chicago...

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:42 am

Last time I checked the Wild weren't the only club to not select Kloos.

Reaily - what a concept.

FREDFLINTSTONE

Post by FREDFLINTSTONE » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:46 am

Slap Shot wrote:Last time I checked the Wild weren't the only club to not select Kloos.

Reaily - what a concept.
slapshot....

It would have been fine for the Wild to pass on both and go after size, but if your going to draft and the choice is between to prospects similiar in size.....go after the one that has a history of success, not family ties. What did Nanne do that the 25-50 other Minnesota draft eligible players did not do? It was a charity pick.....Kinda like when your dad coached you....he had to take you.

mngopherfan

Post by mngopherfan » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:06 am

FREDFLINTSTONE wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:Last time I checked the Wild weren't the only club to not select Kloos.

Reaily - what a concept.
slapshot....

It would have been fine for the Wild to pass on both and go after size, but if your going to draft and the choice is between to prospects similiar in size.....go after the one that has a history of success, not family ties. What did Nanne do that the 25-50 other Minnesota draft eligible players did not do? It was a charity pick.....Kinda like when your dad coached you....he had to take you.
Nanne has history of being an incredibly hard working kid, that doesn't go unnoticed. They drafted him to maybe sign him in 5 years. I don't see what the big deal is...?

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:04 pm

They drafted him...for what ever reason, it was their choice. This hard working non sense I've had about enough of though. Are we to believe that this quality alone was enough to justify his selection? Who is to say he works any harder than those kids who many of us seem to believe might have been better picks. I have no reason to doubt that he is really a great kid but enough on the character thing already, there are a ton of great kids out there that don't get drafted. If you watched Randolph, or Franklin last year its hard to find kids that worked any harder than they did. We all know that NHL teams don't pick 5' 10" guys to be defensive grinders so the Wild must believe there is a great deal of potential for growth in his offensive game. Bottom line is he got picked 188th by the Wild and they had there reasons for doing so.

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:00 pm

FREDFLINTSTONE wrote:

Reaily - what a concept.
slapshot....

Doesn't change my point. If you want to say, "Don't draft Nanne" I'll say, "I'm right there with you". However if you instead insist on saying, "Don't draft Nanne, draft Kloos" I'll say, "Doesn't matter and no one else drafted Kloos either".

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:26 pm

Freddie,

Are you a little to close to this one? Lets keep in mind it was a 7th round draft pick. Does anyone know how many 7th round draft picks played in the NHL last season? I am going to guess not many, so lets all just calm down.

Lou Nanne's exact words "I wish Louie wouldnt have gotten drafted so he would have the chance to sign with anyone" Kloos might be in a better position because of this.

If the only reason they drafted him is because he is the grandson of Lou, well I am okay with that too. The guy is one of the greatest figures in MN hockey history. No problems with that. However, being a captain on the Edina Hornets as a junior must say something. Everything I hear the kid has great character, work ethic, and a really good attitude.

Taking him 7th overall would be different than taking him 188th.

As for Kloos...well every other team passed on him too. Correct? So, apparently people didnt see much. Keep in mind Toninato and Peterson both got drafted over Kloos too. This should maybe give Kloos a chip on his shoulder coming into the U of M.

I am curious as to what went wrong with AJ Michaelson?? Was he draft eligible...

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:32 pm

There are still people out there that think the Wild just happened to pick Nanne...?

:lol:

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:53 am

More of a surprise than any of the boys that chose to stay home not being picked is the fact that Cody Corbett didn't get selected. Big strong kid who left for the WHL, had a good year, and was widely rated in the top 100. Of all the Minnesota kids this is the biggest surprise to me.

xy

Post by xy » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:59 am

According to one report I saw he really struggled in the WHL playoffs.

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:32 am

keepyourheadup wrote:More of a surprise than any of the boys that chose to stay home not being picked is the fact that Cody Corbett didn't get selected. Big strong kid who left for the WHL, had a good year, and was widely rated in the top 100. Of all the Minnesota kids this is the biggest surprise to me.
I realize there is more than one way to approach things... but this is another example of why kids should probably not give up their NCAA eligibility on the commentary of the CHL being the "best route".

Take your time kids... if you are good enough to make it, you don't have to give up your NCAA eligibility to do it.

auld_skool

Post by auld_skool » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:40 am

keepyourheadup wrote:More of a surprise than any of the boys that chose to stay home not being picked is the fact that Cody Corbett didn't get selected. Big strong kid who left for the WHL, had a good year, and was widely rated in the top 100. Of all the Minnesota kids this is the biggest surprise to me.
I saw him in the Elite League a few times before he left for Canada and I really liked his game. I was really surprised too. The problem for him and a lot of 94's and late 93's is that this year was the best and deepest year for defensemen that we've seen for a long time, maybe forever.

DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:49 am

Tigers33 wrote: I am curious as to what went wrong with AJ Michaelson?? Was he draft eligible...
Tiger, AJ was ranked the #87 best North American Skater in the Final ranking... that was surprising for AJ, not to be drafted... but as it has been mentioned in this thread, it just might be a better situation for a borderline young man to be undrafted, work hard, develop, and come out as a free agent like a JT Brown... rather than be drafted in 6th or 7th round...

Just to clarify, yes, getting drafted is pretty cool, just the financial and options presented to a good free agent may be a better situation than a late draftee...

Neuuman

Post by Neuuman » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:58 pm

FREDFLINTSTONE wrote:

It SHOULD NOT be a Kloos/Nanne issue. Forget about Kloos. What about Merchant? Trevor Olson? Grant Besse? Louie was selected and good for him. But, as a Wild fan, I seriously question their scouting if they truly believe he was the best available player at pick 188. I know most 7th round picks don't ever make it to the "show", but some do. Like Pavel Datsyuk, Luc Robitaille, etc. I guarantee you that both of those players scored a ton of points at lower levels. They weren't a point a game guys in a poor league.

And, as far as the "Nanne" name being a "Minnesota Legend", what did Lou Sr. really do? He was an average NHL player, and an average NHL executive. In the late 70's - early 80's he assembled a group of young, highly skilled players who made a couple nice playoff runs, but never really accomplished anything. If he is the benchmark of hockey excellence in Minnesota, I think we all need to set the bar a little higher.

almostashappy

Post by almostashappy » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:58 pm

Neuuman wrote: It SHOULD NOT be a Kloos/Nanne issue. Forget about Kloos. What about Merchant? Trevor Olson? Grant Besse? Louie was selected and good for him. But, as a Wild fan, I seriously question their scouting if they truly believe he was the best available player at pick 188. I know most 7th round picks don't ever make it to the "show", but some do. Like Pavel Datsyuk, Luc Robitaille, etc. I guarantee you that both of those players scored a ton of points at lower levels. They weren't a point a game guys in a poor league.
#188 is in the Wild developmental camp this week, and was on the ice Thursday night in the first of two open scrimmages. He didn't stand out at all...at least not until the full team shoot outs. Kid was playing on the same team as Granlund, Zucker, and Dumba...so who do you think they sent out to take the first penalty shot?

I felt bad for the kind, figuring that he certainly hadn't asked to take that first shot. But then he totally flubbed a between the leg fancy-schmancy trick shot. Bad choice if he is trying to keep his dead down and keep a low profile.