Pick #188 for the Wild...

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

If you were drafting for the Wild....would you take:

Kloos
33%
Nanne
17%
Someone else
50%

Total votes: 30

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:56 pm

Neuuman wrote:
FREDFLINTSTONE wrote:
keepyourheadup wrote:I think its important to not make this a Kloos/Nanne issue. 210 other players were drafted not named Kloos so the Wild obviously felt the same way about him that the rest of the teams did. You can dissect the selection of Louie till the cows come home but Kloos isn't really part of that equation. As for the hoopla....much like Louie didn't create the all the acrimony around his selection, all Justin did was line up and play, the hoopla was generated outside of his control. The truth is this years draft was an indictment of Minnesota high school hockey and just how little scouts think of the level of competition. For some of the big kids like Baskin and Olson, among others, you would like to believe that teams would grab them with a late pick just due to their size and the possibility that they will continue to develop as players.
I think it should be a Kloos/Nanne issue.....

take a look at the history of both......Kloos has been a top 93 born player in squirts, peewees, bantams, high school....won Mr. Hockey, led the state in scoring, and helped pull off one of the biggest upsets in High school hockey tournament history with a little above average Lakeville team which got 90% of it's scoring from one line. Give me the up side of Nanne other than who his grandpa is? Nanne should not have been drafted.....maybe neither should have been drafted, but it's a no brainer of the two who should have been drafted. Like some else said, the wild should have drafted Micky Mouse....too bad Micky doesn't have a scout dad for the wild.
It SHOULD NOT be a Kloos/Nanne issue. Forget about Kloos. What about Merchant? Trevor Olson? Grant Besse? Louie was selected and good for him. But, as a Wild fan, I seriously question their scouting if they truly believe he was the best available player at pick 188. I know most 7th round picks don't ever make it to the "show", but some do. Like Pavel Datsyuk, Luc Robitaille, etc. I guarantee you that both of those players scored a ton of points at lower levels. They weren't a point a game guys in a poor league.

And, as far as the "Nanne" name being a "Minnesota Legend", what did Lou Sr. really do? He was an average NHL player, and an average NHL executive. In the late 70's - early 80's he assembled a group of young, highly skilled players who made a couple nice playoff runs, but never really accomplished anything. If he is the benchmark of hockey excellence in Minnesota, I think we all need to set the bar a little higher.
Very well said.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:58 pm

Watched the scrimmage today. The wild have some very nice talented prospects out there. #188, probably another story. As my man keepyourheadup says: "if you have to point to a HS players hustle and defensive prowess, it likely means he doesn't have the best skill set." Nuff said.