Lumberjack Summer Classic July 13-15 Cloquet MN

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

kniven

Lumberjack Summer Classic July 13-15 Cloquet MN

Post by kniven »

Teams: CEC, Andover, Eagan, Hermantown, Denfeld, New Prague, Buffalo, Prior Lake

Friday
5:30 Cloquet vs. Hermantown
7:30 Denfeld vs. Andover

Saturday
11am Buffalo vs. New Prague
1pm Eagan vs. Hermantown
3pm Cloquet vs. Prior Lake
5pm Denfeld vs. New Prague
7pm Eagan vs. Andover
9pm Buffalo vs. Prior Lake

Sunday
9am Eagan vs. Cloquet
11am Buffalo vs. Denfeld
1pm New Prague vs. Andover
3pm Hermantown vs. Prior Lake
urban iceman

Post by urban iceman »

I know it's early but any prediction's?
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

Huh??? I don't get this. Varsity high school hockey tournament in July? Aren't there rules against this?

Sorry to be an ignoramus, but I don't get it.
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

Shinbone_News wrote:Huh??? I don't get this. Varsity high school hockey tournament in July? Aren't there rules against this?

It's the MSHSL-approved summer contact period between coaches and players. Most (all?) programs have summer training from mid-June to end of July (with MSHSL-enforced week-long break for 4th of July). The rosters are filled with Varsity-eligible players, but they aren't the varsity rosters.

So there will be kids playing in this tournament that won't make Varsity in November (or even JV). And with Elite tryouts also this weekend, you aren't going to see players in Cloquet who are locks to make the school team.
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

almostashappy wrote:
Shinbone_News wrote:Huh??? I don't get this. Varsity high school hockey tournament in July? Aren't there rules against this?

It's the MSHSL-approved summer contact period between coaches and players. Most (all?) programs have summer training from mid-June to end of July (with MSHSL-enforced week-long break for 4th of July). The rosters are filled with Varsity-eligible players, but they aren't the varsity rosters.

So there will be kids playing in this tournament that won't make Varsity in November (or even JV). And with Elite tryouts also this weekend, you aren't going to see players in Cloquet who are locks to make the school team.
A.K.A. Summer scrimmages are a joke. :roll:
buttend

Post by buttend »

almostashappy wrote:

I assume benches will have 15-18 skaters Probably 80-85% of winter HS roster will be playing.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

BodyShots wrote:A.K.A. Summer scrimmages are a joke. :roll:
Although it's a great opportunity for kids that are on the bubble to impress their coach.
The Enlightened One

Post by The Enlightened One »

ANybody go to these can post up some of the scores. Just curious.
kniven

Cloquet games....

Post by kniven »

I attended all the Cloquet games:

Cloquet 8 Hermantown 6 OT

Cloquet 3 Prior Lake 0

Cloquet 5 Eagan 6
almostashappy

Re: Cloquet games....

Post by almostashappy »

kniven wrote:I attended all the Cloquet games:

Cloquet 8 Hermantown 6 OT

Cloquet 3 Prior Lake 0

Cloquet 5 Eagan 6
You'd have to be a real die-hard fan (or the Zamboni driver) to have seen/kept track of all of the games, so maybe it'll necessarily be piecemeal reporting. If you are really interested, I heard it was also:

Eagan 9 Hermantown 4

Eagan 2 Andover 1

But take it all with ice-melting grains of salt, given who was and wasn't playing due to Elite/vacations/evaluating kids on bubbles....
Last edited by almostashappy on Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
urban iceman

Post by urban iceman »

Buffalo 4
New Prague 1

New Prague 3
Denfeld 2

Andover 5
New Prague 0