Schwan Cup Gold brackets

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

stpaul

Schwan Cup Gold brackets

Post by stpaul » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:21 pm

Hill-Murray vs. Blaine
Burnsville vs. Minnetonka
Duluth East vs. Breck
St. Thomas Academy vs. Edina

PuckU126

Re: Schwan Cup Gold brackets

Post by PuckU126 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:14 pm

stpaul wrote:Hill-Murray vs. Blaine
Duluth East vs. Breck
Predictions? :lol:

8)
The Puck
LGW

skipperj

Post by skipperj » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:46 pm

Minnetonka= obviously 1st place
Edina=2nd
Hill-Murray=3rd
Rest=who cares
Blaine=toilet bowl winner.

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:35 am

PuckU126 wrote:
Duluth East vs. Breck

8)
With three privates, I'm going to go out on a limb and predict low attendance. :P

Goalie-Dad

Post by Goalie-Dad » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:41 am

Does anyone have the Silver and Bronze brackets?

Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:45 pm

I like the A+AA matchups. A lot.

But Blaine instead of Maple Grove? Seriously?

Burnsville instead of Eagan? Seriously?

I realize these guys probably have other tournaments. MG will probably be in BSM's tourney again, and it seems like Eagan doesn't play holiday tournaments (did I read that somewhere?)

I'm just saying... as long as we're allowed to dream of perfect match ups.

Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:50 pm

Good to see Breck and STA have to play the big boys outside their conferences at least once -- to keep us all grounded in reality for another year.

I don't see Duluth East losing the opportunity to get back at Tonka after that abysmal Hockey Day game last year (not to mention that catastrophic game against Lakeville South in March).

Hill crushes Blaine
Tonka crushes Burnsville
DE crushes Breck
Edina beats STA by two (ENG)

ship: DE beats Tonka by 3

skipperj

Post by skipperj » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:37 pm

shinebone- have you not read about the exodus at DE. I know they are strong program, but I think they will be down this year. Sorry Karl. The Skippers own the ship.

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:44 pm

skipperj wrote:shinebone- have you not read about the exodus at DE. I know they are strong program, but I think they will be down this year. Sorry Karl. The Skippers own the ship.
I'll take Edina. If I recall, they were really young last year, and did just fine.

blueliner5

Post by blueliner5 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:02 pm

skipperj wrote:Minnetonka= obviously 1st place
Edina=2nd
Hill-Murray=3rd
Rest=who cares
Blaine toilet bowl winner.
MrBoDangle where are you on this one? Where do you spot Blaine? They need to fill the goaltending gap as there really was only 1 goalie last year with Malvin between the pipes. Coach has high hopes for the Junior class to be able to succeed this season

Chaz Barknarkles

Post by Chaz Barknarkles » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:11 pm

Shinbone_News wrote:I like the A+AA matchups. A lot.

I realize these guys probably have other tournaments. MG will probably be in BSM's tourney again, and it seems like Eagan doesn't play holiday tournaments (did I read that somewhere?)

Eagan has played in the South St Paul holiday tournament the past few years.

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:39 pm

BodyShots wrote:
PuckU126 wrote:
Duluth East vs. Breck

8)
With three privates, I'm going to go out on a limb and predict low attendance. :P

What's high attendance for the Schwans Gold? 900?

MNpuckBlog

Post by MNpuckBlog » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:52 pm

blueliner5 wrote:
Edina=2nd
Hill-Murray=3rd
Rest=who cares
MrBoDangle where are you on this one? Where do you spot Blaine? They need to fill the goaltending gap as there really was only 1 goalie last year with Malvin between the pipes. Coach has high hopes for the Junior class to be able to succeed this season
Blaine should have a better squad this season as all the sophomores they had in 2011-2012 have a varsity season under their belt. Goaltending is somewhat of a question between a couple of goalies, but won't be a burden to the team. Team returns a few good seniors to be, and the loss of Brodzinski will hurt but they return 4 defenseman I believe that have varsity experience. As far as the section goes, I have no idea what Maple Grove returns because I know they are losing 10+ players, most of who contributed a large amount of their scoring. I would guess them and Centennial will return solid enough teams to make 5AA a 3-horse race between Blaine, MG, and Centennial.

skipperj

Post by skipperj » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:47 pm

Look what the loss of Brod for 15mins last game of last season did. Good luck Blaine, I think you will need it. oh yah, and the goalie thing, kinda an important decision. Maybe little shared time in net would help your program in the long run.

phil mccracken

Post by phil mccracken » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:59 pm

Chaz Barknarkles wrote:
Shinbone_News wrote:I like the A+AA matchups. A lot.

Eagan has played in the South St Paul holiday tournament the past few years.
:roll: Intent

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:38 am

BodyShots wrote:
skipperj wrote:shinebone- have you not read about the exodus at DE. I know they are strong program, but I think they will be down this year. Sorry Karl. The Skippers own the ship.
I'll take Edina. If I recall, they were really young last year, and did just fine.
My money would be on the Hornets at this point, too. The second-best team in the field might actually be their first-round opponent, STA.

Beyond Benilde, Edina, and EP, AA is a bit muddled right now. Tonka could be #4 if Lettieri stays; if not, I'm still not sure who it'd be. Hill lost its spot in the top few when Guentzel and Heinrich left, though they're probably still top 10; East and Blaine have also lost important players but should remain in the top 10. Burnsville is somewhere in that mess, too.

In general, I'd say there's a bit more parity in this field than usual. But, we still have a few more months before serious preseason ranking stuff starts.

celly93

Post by celly93 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:48 pm

I wish they would play the whole thing at Ridder instead of moving to the X. It worked well for the quarterfinals, and judging by the pictures I saw of the championship game, it would be big enough. Personally, I think Ridder is the most under-used arena in the state for high school hockey. It's like Braemar, but with seat backs, concourses, and a scoreboard that you could use considering every big game is broadcast online anyway. I'd love to see the section semifinals moved there for 2AA and 6AA. You could have all four games in a row. Have one section have games at 12 and 2:30 and the other section have 5:00 and 7:30.

I got a little off topic there, but the point is I hope they eventually move the whole Gold Division to Ridder.

Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:12 am

celly93 wrote:I wish they would play the whole thing at Ridder instead of moving to the X. It worked well for the quarterfinals, and judging by the pictures I saw of the championship game, it would be big enough. Personally, I think Ridder is the most under-used arena in the state for high school hockey. It's like Braemar, but with seat backs, concourses, and a scoreboard that you could use considering every big game is broadcast online anyway. I'd love to see the section semifinals moved there for 2AA and 6AA. You could have all four games in a row. Have one section have games at 12 and 2:30 and the other section have 5:00 and 7:30.

I got a little off topic there, but the point is I hope they eventually move the whole Gold Division to Ridder.
Couldn't agree more. Ridder is an AWESOME arena to watch games in. And I'd love to see region semifinals there too. Only caveat: Parking is a major pain in the butt.

Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:28 pm

MNpuckBlog wrote:
blueliner5 wrote:
Edina=2nd
Hill-Murray=3rd
Rest=who cares
Blaine should have a better squad this season as all the sophomores they had in 2011-2012 have a varsity season under their belt. Goaltending is somewhat of a question between a couple of goalies, but won't be a burden to the team. Team returns a few good seniors to be, and the loss of Brodzinski will hurt but they return 4 defenseman I believe that have varsity experience. As far as the section goes, I have no idea what Maple Grove returns because I know they are losing 10+ players, most of who contributed a large amount of their scoring. I would guess them and Centennial will return solid enough teams to make 5AA a 3-horse race between Blaine, MG, and Centennial.
Blaine will be the #1 seed in 5AA next year.

skipperj

Post by skipperj » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:52 pm

next year as in year after this year, or next year as in this season coming up?

deacon64

Post by deacon64 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:08 pm

STA, want to play with the big boys, have some pride and make move to AA. Oh yeah, want to keep whining, yes not winning. lol

blueblood

STA

Post by blueblood » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:55 pm

One way to get STA to move to AA is for all teams to stop playing them outside their conference.

observer

Post by observer » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:20 pm

Why would the Schwan Cup put single A teams in the top bracket anyways?

deacon64

Post by deacon64 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:40 pm

observer wrote:Why would the Schwan Cup put single A teams in the top bracket anyways?
Great question!

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:02 pm

observer wrote:Why would the Schwan Cup put single A teams in the top bracket anyways?
Just a guess, but maybe because they believe that at least one team can compete with the best of 2A in the top bracket?