Northern Educate Hockey Academy

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MrBoDangles

Northern Educate Hockey Academy

Post by MrBoDangles » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:38 am

Will be based inside (yes, inside) of Eagan's rink and play in Section 4A of the Minnesota State High School League.

Thoughts?

dueling21

Post by dueling21 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:09 am

Their website specifically says, "We are a hockey skill development program and do NOT run teams. Players may still play for their association in the evenings and should have intermediate to advanced level skating skills for their age."

Apparently, that's no longer true?

Bleed Maroon and Gold

Post by Bleed Maroon and Gold » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:30 am

dueling21 wrote:Their website specifically says, "We are a hockey skill development program and do NOT run teams. Players may still play for their association in the evenings and should have intermediate to advanced level skating skills for their age."

Apparently, that's no longer true?
Apparently that is no longer true. It is on the MSHSL website that they will be having a team

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:33 am

Who's making the money off this educational institution?

almostashappy

Re: Northern Educate Hockey Academy

Post by almostashappy » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:23 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:Will be based inside (yes, inside) of Eagan's rink and play in Section 4A of the Minnesota State High School League.

Thoughts?
From their website:

Northern Educate Hockey Academy employs a hybrid model where licensed teachers and tutors in our classrooms at the rink guide students through a public charter school online curriculum.....Parents may choose from several Minnesota public online charter schools, which ensures our students meet state standards and grade level graduation requirements as set by the Minnesota Department of Education.

So how can they play in the MSHSL when their kids aren't enrolled in the same charter school? Don't you need your own high school (or an acknowledged collective) before you can play in the high school league?

DrGaf

Re: Northern Educate Hockey Academy

Post by DrGaf » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:39 pm

almostashappy wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:Will be based inside (yes, inside) of Eagan's rink and play in Section 4A of the Minnesota State High School League.

Thoughts?
From their website:

Northern Educate Hockey Academy employs a hybrid model where licensed teachers and tutors in our classrooms at the rink guide students through a public charter school online curriculum.....Parents may choose from several Minnesota public online charter schools, which ensures our students meet state standards and grade level graduation requirements as set by the Minnesota Department of Education.

So how can they play in the MSHSL when their kids aren't enrolled in the same charter school? Don't you need your own high school (or an acknowledged collective) before you can play in the high school league?
Wow ... this could spiral WAY out of control.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.

Puck to the head

Northern Educate

Post by Puck to the head » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:43 pm

This thing just sounds and smells weird. I have seen signs for it and heard about it for a while, but do not know anyone in it. The "school" is clearly centered around hockey development, way past the point that SSM or other Prep type schools are. At least the SSM's of the world have buildings with other students in it and actually hold classes.

I agree this could get out of control and impact MSHSL issues like geographic alignment, transfer problems, adherence to high school schedules, creating "super teams"etc. But the biggest head-scratcher for me is why on Earth a parent would send their kid to this thing? For the rest of their life they have to fill out applications (assuming they learn to read at this place) for jobs, schools, etc. that say they went to "Northern Educate" and have to explain school was a hockey rink! How many people would look at that as a serious education? Absolutely mind boggling! Good luck if the pro-contract falls through!

almostashappy

Re: Northern Educate

Post by almostashappy » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:12 pm

Puck to the head wrote:This thing just sounds and smells weird. I have seen signs for it and heard about it for a while, but do not know anyone in it. The "school" is clearly centered around hockey development, way past the point that SSM or other Prep type schools are. At least the SSM's of the world have buildings with other students in it and actually hold classes.

I agree this could get out of control and impact MSHSL issues like geographic alignment, transfer problems, adherence to high school schedules, creating "super teams"etc. But the biggest head-scratcher for me is why on Earth a parent would send their kid to this thing? For the rest of their life they have to fill out applications (assuming they learn to read at this place) for jobs, schools, etc. that say they went to "Northern Educate" and have to explain school was a hockey rink! How many people would look at that as a serious education? Absolutely mind boggling! Good luck if the pro-contract falls through!
They wouldn't get their high school degree from the hockey school...it would come from the on-line charter school (which, according to their web site, is accredited by State of MN). I don't think that it would be that much different then if the kid was home-schooled.

Pretty depressing place to return to for class reunions, but I guess they could always use the city's water park that is right next door.

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:39 pm

almostashappy wrote:
Puck to the head wrote:

Pretty depressing place to return to for class reunions, but I guess they could always use the city's water park that is right next door.
Oh that's not a concern. Thanks to Facebook class reunions are going the way of the rotary dial phone.

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:58 pm

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:
almostashappy wrote:
Puck to the head wrote:

Oh that's not a concern. Thanks to Facebook class reunions are going the way of the rotary dial phone.
:D

TXinMyRearView

Achiever NE = Northern Educate.

Post by TXinMyRearView » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:22 am

My son went last year and is returning this year. It was a great fit for him. I understand that the current year is a bit of a transition until the charter school is approved. It was a great experience and fostered a lot of growth and development of responsibility. It certainly is not for everyone, but don't knock it until you know more.
Peace.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:38 am

What is the cost per year?

Bleed Maroon and Gold

Post by Bleed Maroon and Gold » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:44 am

mulefarm wrote:What is the cost per year?
$11,500

almostashappy

Re: Achiever NE = Northern Educate.

Post by almostashappy » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:16 pm

TXinMyRearView wrote:My son went last year and is returning this year. It was a great fit for him. I understand that the current year is a bit of a transition until the charter school is approved. It was a great experience and fostered a lot of growth and development of responsibility. It certainly is not for everyone, but don't knock it until you know more.
Peace.
Okay, it was starting to make a little more sense if they are transitioning from offering a la carte on-line charter school options to getting all of their kids into their own charter school. But then I remembered the fact that charter schools are publicly-financed alternatives to public schools. And as MN Dept Ed's web site notes, "They do not charge tuition, and there are no admission requirements to enroll students in charter schools."

So how would that square with Northern Elite's program? I suppose that they could try to keep a straight face as they say that they wouldn't charge "tuition" and that every child would be eligible to enroll in their school. There would just be an optional $11,000 "participation fee" if the students wanted to be part of the extra-curricular hockey program. :wink:

skipperj

Post by skipperj » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:16 pm

why is more kids being able to play high school hockey a bad thing? If they meet whatever requirements there are, let them play.

almostashappy

Post by almostashappy » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:41 pm

skipperj wrote:why is more kids being able to play high school hockey a bad thing? If they meet whatever requirements there are, let them play.
It's whether the school meets the requirements that is at issue here.

For example, I just thought of another potential stumbling block. Their big selling point is 480 hours of on-ice profession instruction over the school year. Their web site details a daily schedule that includes 3 hours on the ice and 1 additional hour of dryland. But if NEHA is going to join the MSHSL, don't they have to abide by all of the MSHSL rules regarding off-season contact periods? How could the school provide 4 hrs of daily hockey instruction before the official start of the season (or after, for that matter)?

I suppose they could wiggle around this by claiming that it's phy ed, but then it's part of the school curriculum, and if they're going to be a charter school they can't charge tuition for those phy ed classes.

I don't have a problem with NEHA as it operated last year. But if they're going to try to get state money to operate a charter school, they have to follow the charter school rules. If they want to play in the MSHSL, they need to follow the MSHSL rules as well. And I'm extremely skeptical that they can do both at the same time unless they radically alter both their curriculum and their marketing program.

skipperj

Post by skipperj » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:46 pm

i'm sure mshsl will make sure the program is on the up and up.

BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:24 am

almostashappy wrote:
skipperj wrote:why is more kids being able to play high school hockey a bad thing? If they meet whatever requirements there are, let them play.
It's whether the school meets the requirements that is at issue here.

For example, I just thought of another potential stumbling block. Their big selling point is 480 hours of on-ice profession instruction over the school year. Their web site details a daily schedule that includes 3 hours on the ice and 1 additional hour of dryland. But if NEHA is going to join the MSHSL, don't they have to abide by all of the MSHSL rules regarding off-season contact periods? How could the school provide 4 hrs of daily hockey instruction before the official start of the season (or after, for that matter)?

I suppose they could wiggle around this by claiming that it's phy ed, but then it's part of the school curriculum, and if they're going to be a charter school they can't charge tuition for those phy ed classes.

I don't have a problem with NEHA as it operated last year. But if they're going to try to get state money to operate a charter school, they have to follow the charter school rules. If they want to play in the MSHSL, they need to follow the MSHSL rules as well. And I'm extremely skeptical that they can do both at the same time unless they radically alter both their curriculum and their marketing program.
Captains' Practice

pipes3030

Post by pipes3030 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:54 pm

Looks a lot like Eastern Christian Academy, a football program out in the Delaware/Maryland area. Minus the "Powerhouse" part

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/m ... index.html

puckstopper33

Post by puckstopper33 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:37 pm

Will they be any good is the real question. If they aren't people won't care, but if they are...it could get ugly.

oldschoolpuckster

Post by oldschoolpuckster » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:36 am

Good or not, this seems like a pretty cool concept for a kid to live, eat and sleep the game of Hockey. I wish something like this was around when I was young!
I'm not sure what the program will produce in the first few years, I would assume that most will keep an eye on it and see how it develops. If they are a winning program, plus all of that ice time, I would bet it will draw the attention of some top end players in the years to come (just like STA, Hill, Breck, Benilde.....)I guess only time will tell.
Is Yuro coaching this team? How does this work with the ice time before, during and after the season with High School players?(MSHSL regulations)

blueblood

new school

Post by blueblood » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:48 pm

Sounds like a place for deparate hockey parents to send their kids in order to get little Johnny or Sally noticed. :roll:

My prediction: it won't work out...

imlisteningtothefnsong

Northern Educate

Post by imlisteningtothefnsong » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:53 am

Yuro is not the head or assistant coach for the Highschool team. I have two boys in the school and it is as much for their education as hockey. As a matter of fact my 13 year old can not get back on the ice until his grades are up and all lessons are complete. This school has been the best thing for them. The 10k I spent at Huntington learning center was not the answer. But here they work hard at school because they do not like missing the skating. There is over 70 students this year and continuing to grow. Teacher student ratio is 8 to one or lower in some classes. I am very excited that my two boys may have a chance to be successful in the classroom. The 80 minute class times in the public schools was not working for them. I am ready for the ensuing roast!! Go ahead and lob your grenades!!

almostashappy

Post by almostashappy » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:07 am

imlisteningtothefnsong wrote:Yuro is not the head or assistant coach for the Highschool team. I have two boys in the school and it is as much for their education as hockey. As a matter of fact my 13 year old can not get back on the ice until his grades are up and all lessons are complete. This school has been the best thing for them. The 10k I spent at Huntington learning center was not the answer. But here they work hard at school because they do not like missing the skating. There is over 70 students this year and continuing to grow. Teacher student ratio is 8 to one or lower in some classes. I am very excited that my two boys may have a chance to be successful in the classroom. The 80 minute class times in the public schools was not working for them. I am ready for the ensuing roast!! Go ahead and lob your grenades!!
Why do you think that you had to prep for a roasting? Your story makes it clear that you are a parent that is acting as a strong advocate for your children, and trying to do what's best for them. It would be wonderful if the public schools were provided enough funding to offer 8:1 teacher student ratios, as well as the kind of individual attention that some kids need to thrive academically. Short of that, it would be silly to criticize a parent who had the means to pay for private tuition to actually do so, if that was what their kids needed. I might think that $10,000 is an awful lot to pay for a carrot, but if that's what works as motivation for your son, so be it.

Now, with that point taken care of...it would be great if you could offer your perspective on some of the mechanics behind NEHA gaining charter school status and admittance into the MSHSL. Here's a basic question...is NEHA trying to become a state-financed charter school? And if so, how can it be a charter school and still charge all that money for tuition?

imlisteningtothefnsong

Northern Educate

Post by imlisteningtothefnsong » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:14 am

I will give you my best explanation, there are many curriculums available for the k-9 students. The many options cater to most students strengths or developing areas. Northern Educate is a hockey training program that offers a 3-5 student/teacher ratio. It is not a charter school but an on-line school with staff, rooms, hot lunch, and on/off ice training. The money goes for staff, ice,apparel, and on ice staff. The on-line school is available to any one free of cost to be accomplished at home. On the high school side, it is totally separate. It is named Achiever Academy, a private school. Some of the students train at Norhtern Educate the same as some kids go to velocity or HDC or whatever. Now come Nov. 12th the high school players no longer train with NE. They have their own coaches, ice times, and curriculum. Not all students at Achiever play hockey. There is golf, cross country, and trap shooting. I guess, Northern Educate is a hockey training program that also provides on-line but live teachers in a class room setting. Achiever Academy is a private school. My best advice for any one who is curious or concerned is come to the Eagan rink during MEA weekend there is a free open house to see what is going on here. If your son/daughter would like to skate for the day see the web site for details. As, I said earlier, my one boy can not skate until his school work is back up to speed. I just hung up with the Dean, who just let me know that he will be having one on one with the teachers until he is able to keep it going. A much different phone call than I have ever had regarding school and my kid. I am very happy with this program and the staff. The information I keep hearing is that an independent facility and rink is in the not so distant future.