Section 3A

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Locked
Grocery_Stick
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:14 pm

Section 3A

Post by Grocery_Stick » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:21 pm

Let the trash talk begin :twisted:

Cujo
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:28 pm

Post by Cujo » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:24 pm

Ill start it off with a bold prediction
1-2. New Ulm and Hutch
3-4-5. LDC, Luverne, and Marshall
6-7. Windom and Redwood
8-9. Fairmont and worthington

Biggest sleeper team is Luverne. They're a young team which may not take them far in playoffs but could upset some teams during the season.
This section may be weaker the prior years but it should still be an exciting year.

Players, goalies to watch?
Which player are ready to have breakout years?
Underclassmen to watch?

Section 3A HockeyScout
Posts: 358
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:07 am

Section 3A Preseason Rankings

Post by Section 3A HockeyScout » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:43 am

Greetings Sections 3A Followers,

With the calendar turning to November and every school in Section 3A being eliminated in Football it is time to shift to hockey. Section 3A looks as wide open as ever. The top 3 continue to remain the same here is one man’s look at the season ahead. I hope you enjoy my preview!!

Section 3A Preseason Rankings
1. Hutchinson
2. New Ulm Area
3. Litchfield-Dassel-Cokato
4. Marshall
5. Luverne
6. Windom
7. Redwood Valley
8. Fairmont
9. Worthington

#1 Hutchinson Tigers
Coach: Matt Telecky
10-11 Record: 10-15-1
Key Returners: Trace Adams 9-18-27 pts, Tyler Ellefson 14-9-23 pts, Cody Nielsen 13-6-19 pts, Max Cowger 5-6-11 pts.

Season Outlook: The tigers look to be the early favorite in a wide open Section 3A as the season begins, they will be very strong up front returning 5 of their top 6 forwards from last season. Scoring depth should not be an issue for this team. The tigers play in the tough Wright County Conference, which gets them ready for playoff hockey. Hutch will need to improve things on the blue line as they only return one regular from last year in Cowger. Also, they will have the big shoes of Jordan Johnson to fill in the nets. If the tigers can get their young d-man to develop and find a goalie come the Playoffs they will be tough for anyone to beat.

#2 New Ulm Area Eagles
Coach: Erik Setterholm
10-11 Record: 21-6-2 (Two Time Defending Section 3A Champions)
Key Returners: Brody Peterson 18-28-46pts, Dylan Schreckenberg 9-16-25 pts, Jeff Banal 7-13-20 pts, Blake Neumann 7-12-19 pts.


Season Outlook: The two time defending champion eagles know the road to state goes through them. The eagles were hit very hard by graduation however; with the addition of Sleep Eye the eagles are looking to add depth in their positions of need. The Eagles still have the best player in Section 3A in Brody Peterson playing for them. They also have a top-notch defenseman in Jeff Banal patrolling the blue lines for them. The key will be replacing 3-year starter Blake Burgau in the nets and also finding the depth that they lost to gradation. If the Eagles can find a Goalie and some depth they could very easily become the three time defending champions in this section.

#3 Litchfield -Dassel –Cokato Dragons
Coach: Chris Olson
10-11 Record: 16-11-1
Key Returners: Max Hyberg 8-14-22 pts, John Raisanen 12-9-21 pts., Jed Nikula 1-6-7pts.


Season Outlook: The Dragons have been on the doorstep to State the last two years only to be denied twice. In order for the Dragons to break through this year they will need to replace a major core of their team from last year. Up front not only did the Dragons graduate the majority of their scoring but they also lost their young promising forward Adam Haataja to Warroad where his dad will coach. On defense they must replace 5 of their regular 6 defenseman including super star Quinn Impola. In the nets they have no experience returning. Many would ask why is LDC ranked so high they have the most turnover of any program in 3A? They will be there in the end you can count on it. LDC plays a physical style and by the time Playoffs roll around they will be ready for another playoff run.

#4 Marshall Tigers
Coach: Kori Pearson
10-11 Record: 16-6-3
Key Returners: Bryce Peterson 14-7-21 pts, Beau Mikel 8-10-18pts, Matt Campion 8-6-14 pts, Andrew Buysse 5-49 pts.


Season Outlook: The defending Southwest Conference Champions look to win the Conference again and hopefully make a deep playoff run. In order to do that they must replace 13 seniors. Up front they still have some talented to be seniors left over who will provide some scoring punch finding depth will be a key. On the blue line Campion and Buysse are as good as any in the area and should be solid. The big question will be finding a goaltender as they return no experience in the nets, the answer to that question could determine the Tigers fate this winter.

#5 Luverne Cardinals
Co-Coaches: Tony Sandbulte & Derrick Brown
10-11-Record: 17-8-0
Key Returners: Skyler Wenninger 19-16-35 pts, Jonny Solma 13-20-33 pts, Cody Christensen 12-18-30 pts, Austin Maxwell 8-15-23 pts.

Season Outlook: Lots of optimism in cardinal country again this season. Sooner or later one would hope the cardinals would take their board trash talking to the ice and produce results on the ice where it really matter. This is the fact last season Marshall dominated the cardinals 3 times including the playoffs. Luverne returns a lot of young offensive talent up front and have some really nice young defenseman on the blue line. They also return a young goaltender in the net, key word being YOUNG things look up in Luverne hockey’s future the key is whether or not that means results for this year?

#6 Windom Area Eagles
Coach: Jon Ammerman
10-11 Record: 4-17-1
Key Returners: Adam Eisenmenger 29-14-43 pts, Mitchell Baumhoefer 16-18-34 pts, Brett Larson 9-5-14 pts.


Season Outlook: A new coach and new attitude looks to be forming in Windom. New Coach Jon Ammerman takes the reigns of a program with plenty of players returning. Up front seniors Adam Eisenmenger (29-14-43 pts) and Mitchell Baumhoefer (16-18-34 pts) lead the way for Windom. They return 13 letter winners including 2 goaltenders who saw action last season. This could be the sleeper team in the Southwest Conference. Don’t over look the Eagles they could be dangerous come playoff time.

#7 Redwood Valley Cardinals
Coach: Nate Sunderman
10-11 Record: 10-14-2
Key Returners: Colin Bailey 7-17-24 pts, Austin Kretsch 14-8-22 pts, Jordan Skeie 9-10-19pts, Chris Verdoes 8-11-19 pts.


Season Outlook: Gone are Miller, Hanson and Welch. What once looked like a promising rise of a Southwest hockey program in redwood now looks bleak. The Cardinals return plenty of seniors this year. They will look for those seniors to lead the way this season. They do return some scoring depth will be an issue for this team. They return a goaltender that saw lots of action last season. If they can find some depth it will go along way however, grades 11-9 right now for hockey are not looking great. It will be interesting to see how this team progresses as the season goes along.

#8 Fairmont Cardinals
Coach: Bryan Wilken
10-11 Record: 6-17-0
Key Returners: Jacob Lemon 5-10-15 pts & Ross Wilken 5-8-13 pts.


Season Outlook: Fairmont will be in rebuilding mode this season having graduated 12 seniors. They do return two nice seniors in Lemon and Wilken however it falls off after that. Like many teams in this section depth will be a huge issue. They will need to find additional sources of scoring and will also need some young defenseman to step up in play big minutes. It will be a season of transition for Fairmont.

#9 Worthington Trojans
Coach: Pat Christopherson
10-11 Record: 0-19-0
Key Returners: Ryan Scholtes 8.87 GAA .830 SV%

Season Outlook: Well things will hopefully get better for the Trojans. They lost 7 seniors of last year’s winless campaign. The hope is that a strong core of juniors can learn from last year and work to get better this year.


Hope you like my preview…. Let’s hear yours. Practice is a week away!!!

Iranger33
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:45 pm
Location: MN

Post by Iranger33 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:01 pm

Looks like Litch is hosting a tryout day on Nov 19th with Wilmar, Luverne, Hutch, and Waconia. Then the following Saturday Hutch is hosting New Ulm, Marshall, and Fairmount.

timcorbin21
Posts: 117
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:42 am

Post by timcorbin21 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:33 pm

1 new ulm, returns plenty of offense a few playing fall hockey and with the sleepy eye merge may pick up the defense they'll need. it may take some time to come together. kokesch in goal, he didn't look bad playing selects this past spring

2 Hutch could easily take the number 1 spot if new ulm doesnt get better as the season progresses

3 Luverne. with Litch down this year Luverne should be able to move up a bit. their not that young anymore and I think they're playing a tougher schedule which will help by the time they get to sections

4 Litchfield. Impolas gone. Might be a tough year for Litch

5 Windom Returns eisenmenger and baumhoefer both looked pretty good playing in the exposure tourney. new coach that knows how to play and one of the best athletes in the section in eisenmenger things could pick up

6 Marshall to win the conference they need to beat windom, luverne and morris.

7 Redwood gets the seven spot with a returning goalie and a few seniors

8 Worthington. time to start getting better


9 Fairmont rough year

chicagosoxs99
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:44 pm

Post by chicagosoxs99 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:50 pm

timcorbin21 wrote:1 new ulm, returns plenty of offense a few playing fall hockey and with the sleepy eye merge may pick up the defense they'll need. it may take some time to come together. kokesch in goal, he didn't look bad playing selects this past spring

2 Hutch could easily take the number 1 spot if new ulm doesnt get better as the season progresses

3 Luverne. with Litch down this year Luverne should be able to move up a bit. their not that young anymore and I think they're playing a tougher schedule which will help by the time they get to sections

4 Litchfield. Impolas gone. Might be a tough year for Litch

5 Windom Returns eisenmenger and baumhoefer both looked pretty good playing in the exposure tourney. new coach that knows how to play and one of the best athletes in the section in eisenmenger things could pick up

6 Marshall to win the conference they need to beat windom, luverne and morris.

7 Redwood gets the seven spot with a returning goalie and a few seniors

8 Worthington. time to start getting better


9 Fairmont rough year
marshall is definately better then windom and is going to be a contender this year

dangle snipe n' celly
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:28 pm

Post by dangle snipe n' celly » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:33 pm

chicagosoxs99 wrote:
timcorbin21 wrote:1 new ulm, returns plenty of offense a few playing fall hockey and with the sleepy eye merge may pick up the defense they'll need. it may take some time to come together. kokesch in goal, he didn't look bad playing selects this past spring

2 Hutch could easily take the number 1 spot if new ulm doesnt get better as the season progresses

3 Luverne. with Litch down this year Luverne should be able to move up a bit. their not that young anymore and I think they're playing a tougher schedule which will help by the time they get to sections

4 Litchfield. Impolas gone. Might be a tough year for Litch

5 Windom Returns eisenmenger and baumhoefer both looked pretty good playing in the exposure tourney. new coach that knows how to play and one of the best athletes in the section in eisenmenger things could pick up

6 Marshall to win the conference they need to beat windom, luverne and morris.

7 Redwood gets the seven spot with a returning goalie and a few seniors

8 Worthington. time to start getting better


9 Fairmont rough year
marshall is definately better then windom and is going to be a contender this year

Windom may have eisenminger and baumhoefer, but they also by far have the weekest defense and goaltending in the section. they may have a good scoring threat but if they don't have defense or a goalie there is no way they will be ahead of marshall or even redwood

zIGGYziGGY5
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:16 pm

Post by zIGGYziGGY5 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:19 pm

dangle snipe n' celly wrote:
chicagosoxs99 wrote:
timcorbin21 wrote:1 new ulm, returns plenty of offense a few playing fall hockey and with the sleepy eye merge may pick up the defense they'll need. it may take some time to come together. kokesch in goal, he didn't look bad playing selects this past spring

2 Hutch could easily take the number 1 spot if new ulm doesnt get better as the season progresses

3 Luverne. with Litch down this year Luverne should be able to move up a bit. their not that young anymore and I think they're playing a tougher schedule which will help by the time they get to sections

4 Litchfield. Impolas gone. Might be a tough year for Litch

5 Windom Returns eisenmenger and baumhoefer both looked pretty good playing in the exposure tourney. new coach that knows how to play and one of the best athletes in the section in eisenmenger things could pick up

6 Marshall to win the conference they need to beat windom, luverne and morris.

7 Redwood gets the seven spot with a returning goalie and a few seniors

8 Worthington. time to start getting better


9 Fairmont rough year
marshall is definately better then windom and is going to be a contender this year

Windom may have eisenminger and baumhoefer, but they also by far have the weekest defense and goaltending in the section. they may have a good scoring threat but if they don't have defense or a goalie there is no way they will be ahead of marshall or even redwood
The section will come down to depth and goaltending

Cujo
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:28 pm

Post by Cujo » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:03 pm

Every section comes down to depth and goaltending!! :lol:

Also im just saying that this section as of now has 3 major contenders. Just like every year. New Ulm, Hutch, and Litch. and toss in Marshall and Luverne as spoilers. All there is to it. Same story every year!

east hockey
Site Admin
Posts: 6641
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2002 3:33 am
Location: Proctor, MN
Contact:

Post by east hockey » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:44 pm

How many kids are posting from the Marshall school district, anyway?

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

Iranger33
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:45 pm
Location: MN

Post by Iranger33 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:36 am

Litch won't be the third contender for the section, their best player left to play in Warroad. They have way to many holes to fill on there team and with no one moving up.


I see it as New Ulm's section to lose. Hutch will be there at the end and can play spoiler is they can learn to play as a team.

dangle snipe n' celly
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:28 pm

Post by dangle snipe n' celly » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:00 pm

east hockey wrote:How many kids are posting from the Marshall school district, anyway?

Lee
the one kid from marshall that every one knew he was from marshall went to college 2 years ago. he pops in here every once and a while and posts stuff just to cause havoc. mitch campion a.k.a sregit34

cellyhard21
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:23 pm

Post by cellyhard21 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:18 am

Cujo wrote:Ill start it off with a bold prediction
1-2. New Ulm and Hutch
3-4-5. LDC, Luverne, and Marshall
6-7. Windom and Redwood
8-9. Fairmont and worthington

Biggest sleeper team is Luverne. They're a young team which may not take them far in playoffs but could upset some teams during the season.
This section may be weaker the prior years but it should still be an exciting year.

Players, goalies to watch?
Which player are ready to have breakout years?
Underclassmen to watch?
yeah, luverne will be the biggest sleeper... snooze their way to the bottom half of the section. New ulm ( key player peterson, ability to put the puck away)will be solid as well as hutch;(key player Cowger needs to be a leader on D) might be a little weak defensively. Litch WILL be down this year. I dont think the spots they lost can be replaced... hey, prove me wrong. rumor has it also that starters are having some off ice issues javascript:emoticon(':lol:') Marshall has alot of holes to fill but their D will be especially key with Campion's shooting and Buysee's consistency and smart play.
:lol: :lol:

timcorbin21
Posts: 117
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:42 am

Post by timcorbin21 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:22 pm

Windom wont win the section but if you need help on defense Ammerman might just have the best credentials in the section. He's played a lot of hockey on very good teams. If he can transfer some of that, its got to help move Windom up. At the same time they do return a goalie or two with varsity experience. Does it help? Remains to be seen. If Ammerman can help the D it will help his goalie situation as well.
Marshall may qualify as the sleeper in the conference. expectations are low

IGotDibs
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:04 pm

Post by IGotDibs » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:17 pm

Windom Eagles... nuff said. Mitchell Baumhoefner is probably gonna win Mr. Hockey if he stays healthy just saying, but yeah Windom to win state :shock:

cellyhard21
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:23 pm

Post by cellyhard21 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:19 am

IGotDibs wrote:Windom Eagles... nuff said. Mitchell Baumhoefner is probably gonna win Mr. Hockey if he stays healthy just saying, but yeah Windom to win state :shock:
hard to disagree with that! LOL

InigoMontoya
Posts: 1719
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:36 pm

Post by InigoMontoya » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:55 pm

Cujo wrote:Every section comes down to depth and goaltending!! :lol:

Also im just saying that this section as of now has 3 major contenders. Just like every year. New Ulm, Hutch, and Litch. and toss in Marshall and Luverne as spoilers. All there is to it. Same story every year!
Apparently nobody believes that to be true. The top teams only seem to be returning a single defenseman and could be starting the season with an orange cone in goal for all anyone knows.

From HockeyScout's post above:
#1 Hutchinson Tigers
Hutch will need to improve things on the blue line as they only return one regular from last year in Cowger. Also, they will have the big shoes of Jordan Johnson to fill in the nets.
#2 New Ulm Area Eagles
The key will be replacing 3-year starter Blake Burgau in the nets and also finding the depth that they lost to gradation.
#3 Litchfield -Dassel –Cokato Dragons
On defense they must replace 5 of their regular 6 defenseman including super star Quinn Impola. In the nets they have no experience returning.

computerguy
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:24 pm

3a

Post by computerguy » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:30 pm

I just checked the MSHSL website and New Ulm is listed as New Ulm. Not New Ulm area. They have a long list of cooped schools but it looks like New Ulm is still the host school so they kept the name New Ulm Eagles.

zIGGYziGGY5
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:16 pm

Post by zIGGYziGGY5 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:03 pm

dangle snipe n' celly wrote:
east hockey wrote:How many kids are posting from the Marshall school district, anyway?

Lee
the one kid from marshall that every one knew he was from marshall went to college 2 years ago. he pops in here every once and a while and posts stuff just to cause havoc. mitch campion a.k.a sregit34

Cujo
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:28 pm

Post by Cujo » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:46 pm

What teams are going to be at the section scrimmages in
Hutch? Also is it just varsity teams that go?

Iranger33
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:45 pm
Location: MN

Post by Iranger33 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:28 am

The Hutch scrimmages are just Varsity. Hutch, New Ulm, Marshall, Litch, and Windom. Fairmont had to bail out since they are still playing the othe sport.

Bettman's Bender
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:18 am

Post by Bettman's Bender » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:26 pm

Ammerman. yeah whatever. Windom, please. woo hoo eisenmenger baumhoffner. average players that look good because the second line of their team still has their parents tying their skates.

Luverne. best of the worst. They have the most solid retuning tendy in the section... which isnt saying much. But the kid is decent. Small, but decent for 3A standards. Maxwell is the only other player to speak of. Team still doesnt know hot to play hockey.

Litch Hutch New Ulm. I expect new Ulm and litch to be one equal fields with Marshall and Luverne this year. New Ulm's goaltending will be very weak. Litch without impola or any goaltender. Dont have high expectations there.

Marshall. Decent D. 2 solidish lines. no depth. Inexperienced in Net. Looks like there Could be another Campion in goal for M-town. Believe it or not his mouth is even bigger than his bro's.


impossible rank these teams.

Hutch is pre-rank number one.

the other 4 fall near behind.

after that.. please. its not even hockey at that point.

new2coachin
Posts: 124
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:27 pm

Post by new2coachin » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:28 am

Bettman's Bender wrote:Ammerman. yeah whatever. Windom, please. woo hoo eisenmenger baumhoffner. average players that look good because the second line of their team still has their parents tying their skates.

Luverne. best of the worst. They have the most solid retuning tendy in the section... which isnt saying much. But the kid is decent. Small, but decent for 3A standards. Maxwell is the only other player to speak of. Team still doesnt know hot to play hockey.

Litch Hutch New Ulm. I expect new Ulm and litch to be one equal fields with Marshall and Luverne this year. New Ulm's goaltending will be very weak. Litch without impola or any goaltender. Dont have high expectations there.

Marshall. Decent D. 2 solidish lines. no depth. Inexperienced in Net. Looks like there Could be another Campion in goal for M-town. Believe it or not his mouth is even bigger than his bro's.


impossible rank these teams.

Hutch is pre-rank number one.

the other 4 fall near behind.

after that.. please. its not even hockey at that point.
What were the scores of the games in Hutch today?

Section 3A HockeyScout
Posts: 358
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:07 am

Section 3A Rankings Week #1

Post by Section 3A HockeyScout » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:14 am

Greetings Fellow 3A Followers,

Well two teams in Section 3A got off to an early turkey day start while many other have been scrimmaging. This week all the teams will be in action.

Section 3A Poll Week #1 (11/27/2011)
1. Hutchinson (0-0-0)
2. New Ulm Area (0-0-0)
3. LDC (0-0-0)
4. Marshall (0-0-0)
5. Luverne (0-0-0)
6. Windom (0-0-0)
7. Redwood Valley (0-2-0)
8. Fairmont (0-0-0)
9. Worthington (0-2-0)

Turkey Day Hockey Weekend Recap

Redwood Valley
- The Cardinals played in the SPA Turkey Weekend Classic. They went (0-2) at the holiday tournament.
Loss 3-7 @ SPA
Loss 3-7 vs. Henry Sibley

Worthington
- The Trojans opened up the holiday weekend by playing Sioux Center and Mankato East. They went (0-2) losing to a first year Varsity Program from Iowa and a Mankato East team who is most likely is the worst team in Section 1A.
Loss 1-3 @ Sioux Center
Loss 2-5 vs. Mankato East

Should be a fun week of action ahead as the hockey season is here!

dangle snipe n' celly
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:28 pm

Post by dangle snipe n' celly » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:23 pm

I think of all the teams at the hutch scrimmages new ulm was number 1 followed by hutch and Marshall. The top 4 section teams (hutch, new ulm, Marshall, and litchfield) all have new goalies that don't have any varsity experience before this year. It will be interesting to see how that goes.

The placements 1-4 are up for grabs. Not a set placement because all teams are about equal.

Locked