Suburban East

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

inthetwine

Post by inthetwine » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:07 am

captainjimmy18 wrote:http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/showroster.a ... school=485

Bears roster is up.
Freshmen made the squad. I don't know anything about him. Pretty young team, but we knew that.
Wow, really young, only 3 jumiors.

joehockey

Post by joehockey » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:13 pm

Woodbury will name Team today.

inthetwine

Post by inthetwine » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:39 pm

inthetwine wrote:

Bears roster is up.
Freshmen made the squad. I don't know anything about him. Pretty young team, but we knew that.
It looks like 5 kids from last years bantam A team made varsity, and 2 on JV.

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:39 am

So how is Roseville going to be with their new coach?

Did Ma Busch make the team?

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:12 am

I thought the parents pick the teams in Roseville.

dazzle_me

Post by dazzle_me » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:26 am

inthetwine wrote:
inthetwine wrote:

Bears roster is up.
It looks like 5 kids from last years bantam A team made varsity, and 2 on JV.
Actually, I count 9 on Varsity and 3 on JV from last year's A Bantam team.

HockeyWatcher10

Post by HockeyWatcher10 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:34 am

captainjimmy18 wrote:Losing Carney is a bummer. How the goalies looking for the Bears this year? That's a question mark for sure.
Junior Michael St. Martin is the starting goalie over Senior Max Green so far, but my guess is that their play in the scrimmage today and in practice will determine who starts on Dec. 1st against Woodbury.

joehockey

Post by joehockey » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:21 pm

http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/schoolactpag ... actnum=410

Woodbury Roster is up. There is a strong freshman #9 Sasha Choporov playing on the varsity.

sportsguy29

Post by sportsguy29 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:11 am

Ummm...they were 14-12-1 last year, and made it to the Section Title game. Check your facts first, sir.
Raider Nation Guy wrote:Hastings won't win 4 conference games again. If you think they were bad last year wait tell they put this product on the ice. They have one average player in Koch and he's not any more than that. No goalie, 1 defensman and no forward that would play on a good High School team. I would think that Welch would be happy with another 6-8 win season. It seems to be the norm there now.

joehockey

Post by joehockey » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:58 am

Woodbury won their kick off tournament beating Shakopee 5-0 in first game and Hopkins 4-3 in OT for Championship. Broadbent was outstanding in goal for Woodbury.

Chisago Lakes beat Shakoppe in consolation 4-3 in OT.

joehockey

Post by joehockey » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:04 pm

Any updates around the SEC? Action starts this week and will tell more.

Goalie-Dad

Post by Goalie-Dad » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:42 pm

joehockey wrote:Any updates around the SEC? Action starts this week and will tell more.
MV 4-3 over Park
MV 3-1 over S. St. Paul

meridian90

Post by meridian90 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:23 am

Goalie-Dad wrote:
joehockey wrote:Any updates around the SEC? Action starts this week and will tell more.
MV 4-3 over Park
MV 3-1 over S. St. Paul
I can only comment on White Bear (and their opponent) since that is the team I see play each game.

Tie to Woodbury 3-3
Loss to Hastings 7-3

The tie to Woodbury it looked like a lot of young players were feeling out their first varsity experience. Quite a few "jitters" and not a lot of just playing.

Loss to Hastings was a really odd game. Stat sheet shows that WB took 24 PIM and hastings 25. In reality it was a bit different since WB took two majors, including one to Delaney so were skating a freshman at D instead of a senior captain.

Again, they looked very young and still feeling each other out. When 5 on 5, WB appeared to be the more talented team, but the penalty situation really needs to get cleared up. They take dumb penalties at dumb times. Like post whistle roughings and a cross check when Hastings had a crosscheck coming, so it resulted in offsetting penalties.

Lastly, the offense is still learning. Whalin is a clear star and is the best player on the ice whenever he steps out there. However, they need another "guy" who can take on some of the scoring load. Giller appears to be the most likely candidate, but he seems to be still learning. If the young guys can really relax and get over the hump, the talent is there that as the season goes on they should steadily improve.

inthetwine

Post by inthetwine » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:33 am

meridian90 wrote:
Goalie-Dad wrote:
MV 4-3 over Park
MV 3-1 over S. St. Paul
I can only comment on White Bear (and their opponent) since that is the team I see play each game.

Tie to Woodbury 3-3
Loss to Hastings 7-3

The tie to Woodbury it looked like a lot of young players were feeling out their first varsity experience. Quite a few "jitters" and not a lot of just playing.

Loss to Hastings was a really odd game. Stat sheet shows that WB took 24 PIM and hastings 25. In reality it was a bit different since WB took two majors, including one to Delaney so were skating a freshman at D instead of a senior captain.

Again, they looked very young and still feeling each other out. When 5 on 5, WB appeared to be the more talented team, but the penalty situation really needs to get cleared up. They take dumb penalties at dumb times. Like post whistle roughings and a cross check when Hastings had a crosscheck coming, so it resulted in offsetting penalties.

Lastly, the offense is still learning. Whalin is a clear star and is the best player on the ice whenever he steps out there. However, they need another "guy" who can take on some of the scoring load. Giller appears to be the most likely candidate, but he seems to be still learning. If the young guys can really relax and get over the hump, the talent is there that as the season goes on they should steadily improve.
Sager needs to get this penalty thing under control fast. The odd thing is, it's not the young players taking the penalities, it's the upperclassmen, and he sits quitely on the bench and says nothing.

meridian90

Post by meridian90 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:49 am

inthetwine wrote:
meridian90 wrote:
Goalie-Dad wrote:
MV 4-3 over Park
MV 3-1 over S. St. Paul

Tie to Woodbury 3-3
Loss to Hastings 7-3

Sager needs to get this penalty thing under control fast. The odd thing is, it's not the young players taking the penalities, it's the upperclassmen, and he sits quitely on the bench and says nothing.
I agree on this. While I would be the first to admit I think they would be a better hockey team with Matt Greer and Chris Anderson as co head coaches, the penalty thing is something any coach should be able to easily address. You can't have your senior captain sitting in the box for 19 minutes in a game.

inthetwine

Post by inthetwine » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:03 am

meridian90 wrote:
inthetwine wrote:
meridian90 wrote:
Goalie-Dad wrote:
MV 4-3 over Park
MV 3-1 over S. St. Paul

Tie to Woodbury 3-3
Loss to Hastings 7-3

I agree on this. While I would be the first to admit I think they would be a better hockey team with Matt Greer and Chris Anderson as co head coaches, the penalty thing is something any coach should be able to easily address. You can't have your senior captain sitting in the box for 19 minutes in a game.
I have sat quietly while people ripped Sager for years, but now I have to say these kids deserve better.

InYourFace09

Post by InYourFace09 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:19 am

Raider Nation Guy wrote:Hastings won't win 4 conference games again. If you think they were bad last year wait tell they put this product on the ice. They have one average player in Koch and he's not any more than that. No goalie, 1 defensman and no forward that would play on a good High School team. I would think that Welch would be happy with another 6-8 win season. It seems to be the norm there now.

Well it looks like the Raiders were able to start towards the 4 wins against WBL!!

Edwardo

Post by Edwardo » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:55 pm

inthetwine wrote:
meridian90 wrote:
inthetwine wrote:
meridian90 wrote:
Goalie-Dad wrote:
MV 4-3 over Park
MV 3-1 over S. St. Paul

Tie to Woodbury 3-3
Loss to Hastings 7-3

I have sat quietly while people ripped Sager for years, but now I have to say these kids deserve better.
I did not go to this game, but the history of WB for the last 11 years has been this. It impossible for (Coach)? to put 3 lines together. He always plays his favorites and only concentrates on them during practice, the 1st line is gassed by the 3rd period, there has never been or will there ever be consequences for poor penalties, hissy fits or simply poor sportsmanship, to the "Favorites" anyway. if your not a favorite you get sat. Just guessing, but I bet #2 after his 5 minute major went right back on the ice. You take stupid penalties I don't care how good you are your not thinking of the team, your especially not being a leader, this is 2 games in a row. The lack of discipline and leadership on this team has affected them for 11 years and will continue as long as the ?COACH? remains, I agree Greer and Anderson should take this team.

ALSECORD

Post by ALSECORD » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:09 pm

Maybe it's just me but what's happened to this confrence over the year's? It doesn't seem like there is much talent up and down in this confrece as their use to be. WB doesn't have the talent at all like they use to. Woodbury- Once in while produces a kid or 2..Roseville poor.
Park-Aweful. Hastings- i can't believe Welch keeps his job year after. the guy should have been canned 10-12 year's ago. Not suprising i quess considering all the the other chaos going on down there.

Edwardo

Post by Edwardo » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:34 pm

ALSECORD wrote:Maybe it's just me but what's happened to this confrence over the year's? It doesn't seem like there is much talent up and down in this confrece as their use to be. WB doesn't have the talent at all like they use to. Woodbury- Once in while produces a kid or 2..Roseville poor.
Park-Aweful. Hastings- i can't believe Welch keeps his job year after. the guy should have been canned 10-12 year's ago. Not suprising i quess considering all the the other chaos going on down there.
If that's the case, someone else should have never been hired.

meridian90

Post by meridian90 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:23 am

ALSECORD wrote:Maybe it's just me but what's happened to this confrence over the year's? It doesn't seem like there is much talent up and down in this confrece as their use to be. WB doesn't have the talent at all like they use to. Woodbury- Once in while produces a kid or 2..Roseville poor.
I don't know if I would agree or not on the White Bear assesment. There is a lull with their senior and junior class right now, but if you look at the team from 2 years ago that went to state, their was some really talented players on that team that went unnoticed, specifically at defense.

The sophomore class has quite a bit of talent from a Bantam team that was ranked in the top 5 all last season.

Part of the "problem" (i don't think you can really call it that) is simply due to population shifts. The WBL community draws primarily from areas outside of the main city (Hugo, Birchwood, Vadnais Heights) because a lot of people that came to white bear as it was growing are now empty nesters. Given some time, you will see it shift back as new families move in.

Also, the areas that are growing really fast are in areas like shakopee, prior lake, maple grove, andover. so you see a lot of new families moving in and improving those programs, which is a good thing for minnesota that more communities are improving their hockey programs.

SECBLUES

Post by SECBLUES » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:28 pm

This is just the start for the great exposure of White Bears weakness in the SEC this year. Hastings is not one of the teams that I thought would be in on the losses.

If anyone was lookikg forward to a great " Hill, White Bear" annual match up, it looks like they will have to wait a few years.

White Bear as I seen it has a few players that spark talent, however misguided. Inthetwine stated that most of Woodbury's shots were during a 5 min major. And White Bear owned the third period. Was he even at the game? White Bear stacked up shots on goal in the first period During 9 minutes of consecutive power play. One a 5 min major, to where the Bear couldnd find the back of the net.

Late in the 3rd, Woodbury had a goal waved off that would have made it 4 to 1. With 2 min remaining, 5he bears found the net with 2 min remaining on a screen shot. With a half a min remaining, an empty net, and a WBY defensman missing his stick after it was taken and thrown by a WB player, thay scored on another screen.

The last 2 min of the 3rd is hardly owning it. WB skated well, and moved the puck well. They are a little on the small side this year, but are not a dominate team in the SEC. :roll:

Goalie-Dad

Post by Goalie-Dad » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:21 pm

I would argue that the SEC still has talent. Just because WBL and Woodbury have down years, does not mean the SEC is down! Look at MV, Roseville, CDH and Stillwater.

MV and Roseville were in the state tourney last year. Both teams are ranked in the Let's Play Hockey's top ten. CDH is having a great year so far and probably should be in the top ten. Hastings does not have a loss this year.

Park's record is not good, but look at their game schedule. All of the games have been close.

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:35 pm

Goalie-Dad wrote:
I would argue that the SEC still has talent. Just because WBL and Woodbury have down years, does not mean the SEC is down! Look at MV, Roseville, CDH and Stillwater.

MV and Roseville were in the state tourney last year. Both teams are ranked in the Let's Play Hockey's top ten. CDH is having a great year so far and probably should be in the top ten. Hastings does not have a loss this year.

Park's record is not good, but look at their game schedule. All of the games have been close.
You lost me here? What state tourney were MV and RV in last year? This is BOYS High School Hockey you are talking about....

joehockey

Post by joehockey » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:27 pm

We will all know more about the SEC Sunday morning.

Woodbury plays Roseville tonight and are at Stillwater Saturday. I think they have at least two talented players who could play at next level D Hayden Shaw a sophomore and F Sasha Choporov who is only a freshman. Ryan Winter a senior F/D has the ability to play hockey at the next level but will likely pursue D1 football instead.