2013 Pre-Season Scrimmages

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

scorekeeper

Post by scorekeeper »

Task Force 34 wrote:Anyone have the schedule for the Eden Prairie scrimmages tomorrow?
Rink 3

9:30 Eagan v Jefferson
1030 Eagan v Blaine
1130 Centennial v Jefferson
1230 East v Jefferson
130 EP v Prior Lake

Rink 1

945 East v EP
1045 East v Prior Lake
1145 EP v Blaine
1245 Centennial v Eagan
145 Blaine v East
245 Centennial v Prior Lake
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Via a player on twitter I saw Grand Rapids is hitting the road today. Anyone know where they are going and who they are playing?
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
rainier

Post by rainier »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:Via a player on twitter I saw Grand Rapids is hitting the road today. Anyone know where they are going and who they are playing?
I believe Rapids will play Duluth Marshall. I think a few other teams will be there too.
TennJed

Post by TennJed »

GR is playing Denfeld, Marshall, and Hermantown in all their respective arenas.
Task Force 34

Post by Task Force 34 »

Out of EP

Duluth East 2-0 over EP
Duluth East 2-0 over Jefferson
Blaine and Eagan tied 2-2
Jefferson 2-0 over Centennial
Jefferson 4-1 over Eagan

Not sure on the rest
urban iceman

Post by urban iceman »

Farmington over Eveleth
New Prague- 1 Proctor-0
I falls over Farminton
New Prague-5 Eveleth-o
I falls over Richfield
New Prague- 3 Virginia-0
Farminton over Virginia
STMA OVER EVELETH
I falls over STMA
I Falls- 3 New Prague- 1

All at Virginia arena Saturday
The Enlightened One

Post by The Enlightened One »

A question, how far in advance are the scrimmages scheduled? When and who does that? I assume that the scrimmages are used to sort kids out between varsity and jv and cut for these teams so you would want a close game rather than a blow out. How about the during the season tournies and those "optional" games?
BP

Post by BP »

oldschoolpuckster wrote:At Phalen Ice Arena on 11/17.
Johnson
Sibley
Achiever Academy
Rosemount

Anyone have resuls from this one?
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

The Enlightened One wrote:A question, how far in advance are the scrimmages scheduled? When and who does that? I assume that the scrimmages are used to sort kids out between varsity and jv and cut for these teams so you would want a close game rather than a blow out. How about the during the season tournies and those "optional" games?
Pretty far in advance, I believe--probably around the same time official schedules are being drawn up. The coaches (and perhaps ADs, in some cases?) do the scheduling. However, I think most teams tend to go to the same set of scrimmages every year, so there often isn't too much doubt. The teams that do move are probably responding to a change in talent level, as they will want competitive games and may feel out of their league in the old field, one way or the other.

It's similar for in-season tournaments, which are officially drawn up when teams first make their schedules in late spring or early summer. (It may vary some depending on who's organizing the tournament, as many of the holiday tourneys and such have private sponsors pulling it all together.) Most teams know where they're going, as they have longstanding agreements with certain tournaments, and there is only a little bit of movement from year to year.

Not sure exactly what you mean by "optional" games, but regular season schedules are made in late spring/early summer. Conferences will create in-conference schedules for their own teams, while it's up to coaches and ADs to do the rest. Still, even a team like Duluth East with its independent schedule only changes about 2-3 teams on its schedule each year--with everyone else, they just keep alternating home-and-home meetings and work those games in when their opponents aren't tied up with conference play.
joehockey

Post by joehockey »

BP wrote:In Owatonna on Saturday:

Owatonna
Minnehaha Academy
Woodbury
Shakopee
Irondale
Mankato East
I watched Woodbury's 3 games I think the scores were

Woodbury 5 New Ulm 1
Owatonna 3 Woodbury 2
Woodbury 4 Irondale 2

Goaltending for Woodbury looked strong. Good unselfish puck movement. Could surprise.
BP

Post by BP »

joehockey wrote:
BP wrote:In Owatonna on Saturday:

Owatonna
Minnehaha Academy
Woodbury
Shakopee
Irondale
Mankato East
I watched Woodbury's 3 games I think the scores were

Woodbury 5 New Ulm 1
Owatonna 3 Woodbury 2
Woodbury 4 Irondale 2

Goaltending for Woodbury looked strong. Good unselfish puck movement. Could surprise.
How were the other teams?