Scores and Updates: Thursday, Nov. 29, 2012

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

karl(east)

Scores and Updates: Thursday, Nov. 29, 2012

Post by karl(east) »

Lots of games tonight, including one on FSN and several live streams online.
Last edited by karl(east) on Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

Irondale 4
Waconia 3
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

Chaska 7
Hutchinson 3
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

Minnetonka 5
Osseo 1

Wayzata 2
Andover 1
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

Eden Prairie 8
Champlin Park 1
stpaul

Bv - HM

Post by stpaul »

Hill-Murray 2, Burnsville 1
shots HM 38-20
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

An interesting one for anyone following 1AA:

Farmington 6
Rochester Century 0

Looks like we may have a new contender.
scorekeeper

Post by scorekeeper »

Eagan 5
East Ridge 4
clutterbuck22

Post by clutterbuck22 »

Mayo 4
Faribault 2
Final

Wouldn't look to much into that Century score. Century lost a lot and it's going to a while for them to get going.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

scorekeeper wrote:Eagan 5
East Ridge 4
An interesting start to the 3AA race. Any details on this one?
scorekeeper

Post by scorekeeper »

karl(east) wrote:
scorekeeper wrote:Eagan 5
East Ridge 4
An interesting start to the 3AA race. Any details on this one?
It was an exciting game, played well at times by both teams.

A good start for the Wildcats, considering they are missing 2 key seniors including top 3 forward Cullen Willox and another top forward in Josh Loew.

They were also without the services of 6'1" junior defenseman Nick Gray.

Three pretty key players out of service and this being the first game out of the gate. Facing a Raptors team fresh off a 15 goal outburst and playing in their barn in the East Ridge home opener. A pretty steep hill.

They came out flying though, as the Wildcats completely controlled the first 8 minutes of the game. It was quickly 3-1 and the Cats enjoyed a 12-4 advantage on the shot clock and it looked like it was going to be a runaway.

Looks can be decieving..

East Ridge had no quit in them. Their first line was expecially electric and turned the tide in the game. The rest of the first frame was played pretty even, although I think the shot clock worker got a little sidetracked. When East Ridge scored late in the first period to close the gap to 3-2, the shot clock read 14-13 for the raptors. I would have thought it was somewhere closer to 28-14 favoring the Cats. Not sure if that clock is official or not.

Anyways, East Ridge carried most of the play in the second period. They had crisper passes, better execution in all 3 zones, out-shot and out-played the Cats, IMO. They tied it up 3-3 in the waning moments of the 2nd.

The Widcats regrouped well and the 3rd period was more of a slugfest. A wide open end-to-end game at times and IMO, the Cats regained a small advantage in possession in this period. They went ahead 4-3 but East Ridge tied it up quickly and then Eagan went up for good with about 5 minutes remaining. East Ridge pulled the goalie with under 2 minutes left and there were some exciting chances.

For Eagan, the scoring was fairly balanced with the 1st and 2nd line each chipping in a pair and the 3rd line also getting a tally from the blue line.

For East Ridge, I was really impressed with their first line - especially the play of freshman Derek Hammer. I think he scored the first 2 East Ridge goals. The whole team had good energy and worked hard.

The shot clock in the rink I think read 30-27 in favor of the Wildcats , but I am sure it was more like 45-30 in favor of the Wildcats.

Regardless, this was a good result for the wounded Wildcats out of the gate. I sure hope they get some of those injured veterans back for the Hill Murray and Minnetonka game. Definitely something to build on tonight and they certainly do look like they have the makings of a Top 4 team, IMO.

An interesting side note - I notice on MNHockeyHub, the Wildcats actually dropped 2 spots in the AA rankings without even playing a game. I am sure someone will be eating those rankings by March.
observer

Post by observer »

they have the makings of a Top 4 team, IMO.
In their conference? In the section?

What? I'll help Karl with this one in case you're confusing him. They graduate their best class ever and are going to rise in the rankings this year? Hello, they barely squeaked out a win over East Ridge. Time will tell but today that sounds silly.
scorekeeper

Post by scorekeeper »

Thats a fair point Observer, and I think there are many thinking exactly the same thing.

I don't.

Sometimes teams rebuild and sometimes teams reload. This looks to be a re-loading year for Eagan.

People forget, even last years team had some struggles. A 3-2 squeaker over Woodbury. Early season losses to EP and Tonka. Hell, when last years team played East Ridge they scored 5 goals as well - same as this year.

Also don't discount the importance of the key absences - most noticeable Cullen Willox - likely a top 2 or 3 scorer for Eagan this season.

Also don't discount East Ridge, who have iced their best team - some say, ever.

The East Ridge result was expected last night. A close gritty win out of the gate. Will probably struggle a bit the first two weeks, but when everyone is back and healthy - Top 4 in State is the likely destiny for this team this season. IMO

Admittedly, I am wearing blue-tinged glasses. Time will tell if they are in focus or not. Should be a fun ride regardless. Can't wait for the Hill Murray game.

It will be interesting to see what the actual rankings are. First release is December 5th and will begin tightening up in accuracy by December 12th and onward.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

scorekeeper wrote: It will be interesting to see what the actual rankings are. First release is December 5th and will begin tightening up in accuracy by December 12th and onward.
What do you mean by "actual" rankings? AP/Let's Play Hockey/MNHockeyHub are all the same thing, and they're already putting out rankings.

Also, I wouldn't have any qualms saying this is easily East Ridge's best team ever, as this is their fourth season of existence, and they've never won more than 11 games. It'll be interesting to see how they can build from here; at the very least, they've shown Eagan that the section won't be the cakewalk it was last season.

Hope Eagan gets everyone back in the lineup soon so they can put their best team out there against Hill and Tonka. And thanks for the detailed update...even if it was through rather blue-colored glasses. :wink:
scorekeeper

Post by scorekeeper »