AA Rankings for 12/2/12

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

karl(east)

AA Rankings for 12/2/12

Post by karl(east) » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:24 am

We’re over a week into the season, and most teams have a few games on their records now. Not that this makes ranking them any easier; it was one of the most tumultuous first weeks in my memory. While the top few teams were pretty stable, it’s tough to say too much about teams 7-20+ at this point, and the first few weeks are always a tricky mix of early results, expectations, and guesswork. I try to err on the conservative side rather than reading too much into one or two early surprise results, but, of course, it isn’t always easy. Here you go:

1. Benilde-St. Margaret’s (1-0)
-Number One rolled in game one of the season, handling Moorhead with relative ease. The new schedule gets steadily tougher from here, though, as they take on a pair of tighter defensive teams that are both in the top ten, Burnsville and Hill-Murray. We’ll see just how many goals Besse can manage against the Pioneers this time around.
This week: Thurs vs. #9 Burnsville, Sat vs. #5 Hill-Murray

2. Edina (5-0)
-The Hornets raced out to a big start and did it in style, destroying some decent teams in the process. The 3-0 Wayzata win was the only one that might be considered close. We know they won’t play Benilde during the regular season, so the big question becomes this: do we consider bumping them up to #1, even without a Benilde loss? I’d certainly entertain the idea if Benilde starts to show any signs of vulnerability, though not before Edina plays Eden Prairie in the Edina Holiday Classic, at the earliest. Their rather awkward schedule leaves them with only one more game before that tournament: a visit to Prior Lake this Tuesday, which has a chance to be interesting, though having five games under their belt versus the Lakers’ zero is a big advantage.
This week: Tues at #12 Prior Lake

3. Eden Prairie (2-0)
-The win over Anoka was a bit closer than they probably would have liked, but the Eagles took care of business during their undemanding opening week. Now it’s time to give this team some more substantial tests, as they take on rugged Burnsville and a somewhat unknown in Holy Angels.
This week: Tues vs. #9 Burnsville, Sat at Holy Angels

4. Minnetonka (3-0)
-The Skippers coasted to three fairly easy wins this past week, outscoring their opponents by a combined score of 18-3. Now it’s time to test this team, as they welcome Eagan and St. Thomas Academy to Pagel; two wins means they probably belong with the three teams above them among the elite, while a loss or two would leave them somewhere in the mess behind them.
This week: Tues vs. #8 Eagan, Thurs vs. St. Thomas Academy

5. Hill-Murray (2-0)
-The Pioneers didn’t exactly overwhelm either of their first two opponents, but two wins over other top teams deserve to be recognized, and they stay at #5. Once again, this program has shown its incredible ability to reload; we’ll see how they come along as the season goes on. After a likely W against Lakeville South, they visit their opponents in last year’s title game, where the Pioneer power play will look to restore its good name.
This week: Tues vs. Lakeville South, Sat at #1 Benilde-St. Margaret’s

6. Duluth East (1-0)
-As expected, the Hounds steamrolled Cambridge to win their opener. The schedule grows steadily more difficult from here, as they hit the road to face a middling Anoka team, followed by their first real test against a Wayzata team that has been very busy in the early going. As Wayzata has already dispatched of two 7AA opponents, that game gives East a chance to grab early frontrunner status in the section.
This week: Tues at Anoka, Sat at #7 Wayzata

7. Wayzata (4-1)
-This seems rather lofty for such an inexperienced team, and there are some easy ways to explain away their narrow wins this past week: Andover and Elk River were both playing their first games, while the Trojans were playing their fourth and fifth; that narrow Rosemount win doesn’t exactly inspire a ton of confidence, either. But this is a very hard spot to fill in the rankings, and I’m going to prioritize results here, since no one else really has any significant credentials for the #7 spot. They now continue their busy start to the year, hosting improving Eastview and Duluth East. A win over the Hounds would likely cement them in the top ten for some time.
This week: Tues vs. Eastview, Sat vs. #6 Duluth East

8. Eagan (1-1)
-An eventful first week for the Wildcats, as they had a more challenging outing against East Ridge than expected, and lost a very tight game to Hill-Murray. It’s hard to know what to make of the East Ridge result yet; it obviously shows 3AA will not be easy, but it’s hard to know whether it reflects more upon East Ridge’s improvement or Eagan’s shortcomings. As with the Wayzata ranking, this seems a bit high, but no one really stands out in this part of the rankings, and the near-even game with Hill deserves some recognition. The challenging early schedule continues this week, with a visit to Minnetonka and a home game against improving Rosemount.
This week: Tues at #4 Minnetonka, Sat vs. Rosemount

9. Burnsville (0-1)
-The Blaze narrowly lost a defensive battle to Hill-Murray, and appeared to survive a scare with the Sheehy injury, though we’ll have to watch his status this week. They didn’t control play in that game, but they were very stout defensively, and had enough spurts to suggest they can hang in there against good teams. But we’ll soon find out; the week ahead is an absolutely brutal one. With visits to Eden Prairie and Benilde, they could easily start next week 1-3 and still be in the same spot in the rankings, depending on how well they play.
This week: Tues at #3 Eden Prairie, Thurs at #1 Benilde-St. Margaret’s, Sat at Eastview

10. Blaine (0-0-1)
-Overcame an ugly first period to control most of the game against Roseau, which wound up as a tie. Not an ideal start, as they were ranked higher than the Rams in the preseason list, but they also showed some resilience and tightened up that inexperienced defense as the game went along. I have more confidence in this team now than I did a week ago, so that’s a decent enough reason to move them up. The Bengals open NWSC play this week, and have a key test against rival Centennial.
This week: Thurs vs. Osseo, Sat at Centennial

11. Elk River (0-1)
-Outshot Wayzata, but couldn’t quite close the deal, and fell in OT in their home opener. If we take the Wayzata ranking seriously that’s a pretty good sign for this team, but we’re going to need a lot more evidence before saying they really do belong this high. A game against section and conference rival Andover provides a great opportunity to truly earn this spot instead of sliding in here by default, as they’ve done in this set of rankings.
This week: Thurs vs. Coon Rapids, Sat at #13 Andover

12. Prior Lake (0-0)
-The Lakers finally open play this Tuesday, and it’s hard to imagine a more difficult start, as they host an Edina team that already has already put five solid wins together. Lakeville South is also on the docket.
This week: Tues vs. #2 Edina, Sat vs. Lakeville South

13. Andover (0-2)
-Tough opening week for the Huskies, as they lost a squeaker to Wayzata and were edged by Centennial despite a heavy advantage in shots on goal. A few bounces and they’re probably 2-0, but the lack of front-line offensive talent may be showing itself in these early losses. The Armstrong game should let them get back on track, and after that it’s a huge home game against Elk River.
This week: Thurs at Robbinsdale Armstrong, Sat vs. #11 Elk River

14. Grand Rapids (1-1)
-Cruised over Bemidji for an opening win, but were shut out by a decent Forest Lake team. It’s hard to know how much to judge them for it, as they were missing both Bischoffs and are a thin team as it is. We’ll stick them here for now and hope they get everyone back shortly. They head back up north this week, and should have a challenging one in the game against Roseau.
This week: Tues vs. Virginia, Fri vs. Roseau, Sat vs. Warroad

15. Cloquet (1-1)
-Started out with a win over Virginia, but an OT road loss to Bloomington Jefferson sets the Jacks back a few spots. The loss revealed some obvious defensive weaknesses that they’ll have to clean up in order to keep pace with other top teams. A three-game week awaits them, with two Class A teams up before their next real test, a road trip to White Bear Lake.
This week: Tues at Proctor, Thurs vs. South St. Paul, Sat at White Bear Lake

Also Worth Watching

Roseau (2-0-1)
-A mostly positive first week for Roseau, as they beat a decent Thief River team, escaped Blaine with a résumé-boosting tie, and blew out Buffalo. They seem to have found themselves a goaltender—an issue in recent years—but the depth is still nowhere near the level of the top AA teams. They head off to the Iron Range this coming weekend, with games at Grand Rapids and Hibbing.

Bloomington Jefferson (1-0)
-There’s a case to put the Jaguars higher since they beat Cloquet, but I’m not going to get too carried away with a single game yet; they had some defensive issues, and one game does not a season make. Still, they’re worth watching a bit more closely; the week ahead is one of their easier ones, though Chanhassen is no longer a total pushover in 2AA.

Moorhead (1-1)
-In the end, the Spuds’ lopsided loss to Benilde isn’t too big a shock; it was a nasty early-season match-up for a team that is rebuilding on the defensive end. But someone has to drop out of the rankings to make way for Wayzata, and with a handful of other teams nipping at the Top 15, it may be generous to keep them this high. The week ahead is not a terribly difficult one, with home games against 8AA rivals Bemidji and Buffalo.

Centennial (1-1)
-A team worth keeping an eye on: the Cougars upset Andover and put up a better fight than most have managed against Edina. In this season’s weak 5AA, that makes them an instant contender. The Blaine game will really help show us how real this team is.

Holy Family (1-1)
-The Fire’s showing in the Wayzata Turkey Trot suggests they truly do belong up here in the top twenty; the loss to Edina was a bit closer than the score made it look, and the win over Maple Grove was convincing, too. Another key test this week against St. Thomas Academy.

Holy Angels (1-0)
-Cruised to victory over Providence Academy; this week, things get a little more interesting, as their one game is a Saturday date with Eden Prairie. Time to learn a lot more about this group.

East Ridge (2-2)
-The Raptors turned some heads in their first week, hanging in there in the Eagan loss and also beating a passable 3AA team in Park. A big game against Cretin this week could decide the early-season frontrunner in the SEC.

Forest Lake (2-0)
-Wins over a pair of 7AA opponents, including ranked Grand Rapids, are a great start for a team that was supposed to be in rebuilding mode. More challenges this week as they face two of the better teams in the SEC, Stillwater and Mounds View. There’s a case for putting them higher, but I want to get a better feel for the still-muddled SEC before getting too ambitious here. Maybe I’m biased against this conference, but it doesn’t exactly have a phenomenal track record in recent years.

Eastview (2-0)
-Comfortable wins over Woodbury and Hastings—who beat Stillwater—are a good sign for the Lightning, so we’ll put them ahead of the rest of the SEC. They could come back down to earth in a hurry with games against Wayzata and Burnsville this week, though.

After that, we have a mountain of SEC teams that haven’t done much to distinguish themselves. Maple Grove has tanked out of the rankings after an 0-3 week with zero close games, but now that the competition is easing up, they may have a chance to move back up; the Lakevilles also hover in here somewhere, and possibly a few South Metro teams that need to show a bit more before we stick their names up here.

There are a bunch of games that should make things a little less muddy this week: five games between teams in the top ten, two of the biggest NWSC games, Roseau-Grand Rapids, and continued SEC play. Get out there and enjoy a few of them.
Last edited by karl(east) on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

scorekeeper

Post by scorekeeper » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:40 am

Nice read Karl. Good work

A very impressive and informed perspective.

You noted you weren't inclined to be moved much by early season suprises, but having watched Jefferson in scrimmage play, I would put a little more weight behind their win over Cloquet. They have an impressive first line and some exciting talent on the blue line. They have the look of a top 10 team.

Also, and this has already been discussed, but I think you are overlooking the obvious in Eagan's close win over East Ridge.

1.) It was Eagan's first game of the season. It was East Ridge's 3rd. You stated in your writeup in several spots that this is a huge advantage. It certainly helped East Ridge hang in there.

2.) Eagan played without 2 of it's top forwards (Willox & Loew) and defenseman Nick Gray. Again, you've noted the difference key absences can make in some of the games above, and it definitely made a difference here.

The game was also the East Ridge home opener, and, as you mentioned, they are improved. Those close to the team are saying it is their best squad ever (even if ever means the last 4 years).

So I don't think the final score is a big surprise at all, but rather, a score to be expected in that game on that date - all things considered.

I say that while being impressed with east Ridge as well. You rightly say they will make 3AA competitive. I think they are a 17-20 win team. It'll be interesting to see what Woodbury and Eastview bring to the 3AA party.

zyzxx

Post by zyzxx » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:09 am

I didnt see Chase Perrys name on the Anoka game sheet from last nights game. Is he healthy? if he was in net it would have made the game vs EP more interesting.

hshockeyfan8

Post by hshockeyfan8 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:26 am

zyzxx wrote:I didnt see Chase Perrys name on the Anoka game sheet from last nights game. Is he healthy? if he was in net it would have made the game vs EP more interesting.
You do realize Chase Perry plays for Andover right?

zyzxx

Post by zyzxx » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:35 am

hshockeyfan8 wrote:
zyzxx wrote:I didnt see Chase Perrys name on the Anoka game sheet from last nights game. Is he healthy? if he was in net it would have made the game vs EP more interesting.
You do realize Chase Perry plays for Andover right?
opps! :oops:

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:50 pm

scorekeeper wrote:You noted you weren't inclined to be moved much by early season suprises, but having watched Jefferson in scrimmage play, I would put a little more weight behind their win over Cloquet. They have an impressive first line and some exciting talent on the blue line. They have the look of a top 10 team.
That may indeed end up being the case, but from what I understand, the Jefferson-Cloquet game was pretty sloppy. The Cloquet goalie basically handed the puck to a Jefferson player with an open net, and the GWG in OT was an own goal by Cloquet. It's early, and it's just one game, but that doesn't reflect well on either team. (Where was the defense?!) I think I'm also somewhat skeptical of Jefferson because they had more or less the same core last season; I ranked them highly because of it, and it never worked out.

If Jake Bischoff really won't be able to play much this season, that could be a real problem for Rapids. On the other side of the coin, it sounds like there are some good early returns on Elk River.

scorekeeper

Post by scorekeeper » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:54 pm

karl(east) wrote:The Cloquet goalie basically handed the puck to a Jefferson player with an open net, and the GWG in OT was an own goal by Cloquet.
Oh. That's unfortunate for Cloquet. I thought I had read that a Jefferson freshman sniped the winner in OT.

green4

Post by green4 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:22 pm

scorekeeper wrote: You noted you weren't inclined to be moved much by early season suprises, but having watched Jefferson in scrimmage play, I would put a little more weight behind their win over Cloquet. They have an impressive first line and some exciting talent on the blue line. They have the look of a top 10 team.
Lets take it easy with top ten team here...... They have played one game and yes they won, they had a nice game but lets look a little deeper here,
1) after a tough year last year they already have some doubters
2) they bet Cloquet on a own goal in overtime.. so that win could have ended very differently if cloquet didn't score on themselves
3) "exciting talent on the blue line" they might have some talent back there but im assuming offensively because they gave up 6 goals, thats too many for a top 10 team against Cloquet
4) i did notice on another post of yours you had that jefferson was ranked 9th in your mind or somewhere around the bottom of the top 10 but, who would you drop out of the top 10 to give Jefferson a spot?? BSM, Edina, Ep, Tonka, and Hill should all be locked in and i know your not taking Eagan out, Duluth East is better, Wayzata deserves top 10 so i guess you could take out BVille or Blaine but there both much better till Jefferson proves they belong that high.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:31 pm

scorekeeper wrote:
karl(east) wrote:The Cloquet goalie basically handed the puck to a Jefferson player with an open net, and the GWG in OT was an own goal by Cloquet.
Oh. That's unfortunate for Cloquet. I thought I had read that a Jefferson freshman sniped the winner in OT.
The Hub has some details here (see the "game recap" section): http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article ... r_id=32760

scorekeeper

Post by scorekeeper » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:47 pm

green4 wrote: who would you drop out of the top 10 to give Jefferson a spot??
As an early season opinion I would put Jefferson and Cloquet ahead of Blaine and Wayzata. It's close but I think both Jefferson and Cloquet were impressive in scrimmages and I am not suprised they had a close game with each other.

green4

Post by green4 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:53 pm

scorekeeper wrote:
As an early season opinion I would put Jefferson and Cloquet ahead of Blaine and Wayzata. It's close but I think both Jefferson and Cloquet were impressive in scrimmages and I am not suprised they had a close game with each other.
scrimmages are like pre-season you can play amazing but once the season starts you start back at 0-0 so i could see dropping blaine out if your confident in Jefferson but blaine looked strong when they came back against Roseau and jefferson i think needs to make a statement but i could see that i guess.. but Wayzata has 4 wins and 2 against good teams in Elk river and Andover so i just cant see cloquet or jefferson ahead of them

scorekeeper

Post by scorekeeper » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:11 pm

green4 wrote:
scorekeeper wrote:
scrimmages are like pre-season you can play amazing but once the season starts you start back at 0-0 so i could see dropping blaine out if your confident in Jefferson but blaine looked strong when they came back against Roseau and jefferson i think needs to make a statement but i could see that i guess.. but Wayzata has 4 wins and 2 against good teams in Elk river and Andover so i just cant see cloquet or jefferson ahead of them
Wayzata is a very intreaguing team. Those young guys they have, Freytag and Zimmer, are future Superstars (think future Gophers). They look like they are already "up to speed" in the varsity game. How fast they live from competent to dominant will have a lot to do with his far this team goes this year. If they both stay in Wayzata this team will be awesome next two years.

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:21 pm

Wow, no love for Flake or Cent, but of course you have to keep 7AA teams somewhere near the top. :roll:

Come on Karl, Flake is a 7AA team with an undefeated record. Give them some love and put them in the top 10..... for a week! :wink:

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:06 pm

BodyShots wrote:Wow, no love for Flake or Cent, but of course you have to keep 7AA teams somewhere near the top. :roll:

Come on Karl, Flake is a 7AA team with an undefeated record. Give them some love and put them in the top 10..... for a week! :wink:
Are you insane? How many times do you need to be reminded Rapids has a depleted roster? Good for FL, you beat a team that is cannon fodder every year in 7AA and Rapids without their Mr. Hockey candidate. When a team is unranked they should never enter the rankings with only 2 wins and one of those wins being a game they should win by 5-6 goals no matter what year it is. BodyShots, your takes just get worse and worse every year. Thank goodness we have Karl here to keep some sanity on this forum.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:35 pm

7AA teams in this week's PageStat:

East #4
Grand Rapids #12
Elk River #13
Andover #14
Forest Lake #20
Cloquet #21

Until a team has played eight games, their rating is a blend of this season/s/last season's ranking. As more games are played, their rating from last season is progressively phased out.

(Note: The first complete rankings will be posted on www.minnhock.com next Sunday. Or Monday. Depending on how bored I am. :) )

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:50 pm

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
BodyShots wrote:Wow, no love for Flake or Cent, but of course you have to keep 7AA teams somewhere near the top. :roll:

Are you insane? How many times do you need to be reminded Rapids has a depleted roster? Good for FL, you beat a team that is cannon fodder every year in 7AA and Rapids without their Mr. Hockey candidate. When a team is unranked they should never enter the rankings with only 2 wins and one of those wins being a game they should win by 5-6 goals no matter what year it is. BodyShots, your takes just get worse and worse every year. Thank goodness we have Karl here to keep some sanity on this forum.
Hasn't Flake beaten Rapids the last two times they have played them? Matter of fact, two of the last three games Rapids has played overall have been losses to Flake. If you can't rate Flake ahead of Rapids after these events, you never will. :oops:

Just saying. :twisted:

MNhockey29

Post by MNhockey29 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:59 pm

You have to give Flake credit, they played a strong game against rapids, with their goalie who played great. Flake beat rapids last year and they had Bischoff. It's not like Flake played rapids JV team. I'm not saying put them top 10 with Edina, Benilde, ect, but Flake should get a top 20 spot instead of WBL or someone else .

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:08 am

BodyShots wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:

They've had a good run for a couple games. Let's not forget Forest Lake has never in their history been to a 7AA title game.
Hasn't Flake beaten Rapids the last two times they have played them? Matter of fact, two of the last three games Rapids has played overall have been losses to Flake. If you can't rate Flake ahead of Rapids after these events, you never will. :oops:

Has Forest Lake ever been to a 7AA title game? :oops:

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:44 pm

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
BodyShots wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:

They've had a good run for a couple games. Let's not forget Forest Lake has never in their history been to a 7AA title game.

And why should that have anything to do with rankings put out on 12/2/12? :oops:

I'm sorry, but how can Flake beat Rapids to end their season last year, and beat them in the second game this year and not be ranked ahead of Rapids at this time. Granted, if Flake starts to lose, and Rapids starts a winning streak, then you move Rapids ahead of Flake. But for rankings as of 12/2/12, I would absolutely put Flake above Rapids.

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:25 pm

It has nothing to do with rankings, just a slam on FL.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:53 pm

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
BodyShots wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:

He makes a great point and this was the only defeated post you could come up with.

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:01 pm

It was one game. I don't know of any sport where an unranked team moves up above a top 10 team after one win. This early in the season all we have to go on is where we think these teams will stand and what few games they have played. Not just the games. Even though FL won this game, I would still be very surprised if they aren't on the road in the quarterfinals. This reminds me of when the 49ers lost to the Vikings in September. Where are those two teams going now?

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:07 pm

Still a defeated comment

scorekeeper

Post by scorekeeper » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:28 pm

BodyShots wrote:I'm sorry, but how can Flake beat Rapids to end their season last year, and beat them in the second game this year and not be ranked ahead of Rapids at this time. Granted, if Flake starts to lose, and Rapids starts a winning streak, then you move Rapids ahead of Flake. But for rankings as of 12/2/12, I would absolutely put Flake above Rapids.
Absolutely agree.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:34 pm

TheHockeyDJ wrote:It was one game. I don't know of any sport where an unranked team moves up above a top 10 team after one win. This early in the season all we have to go on is where we think these teams will stand and what few games they have played. Not just the games. Even though FL won this game, I would still be very surprised if they aren't on the road in the quarterfinals. This reminds me of when the 49ers lost to the Vikings in September. Where are those two teams going now?
They are not a top 10 team and will find that out against Elk River, Duluth and possible Cloquet split.