Duluth East at Wayzata, 12/8/12

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Hounds
64%
Trojans
36%

Total votes: 11

karl(east)

Duluth East at Wayzata, 12/8/12

Post by karl(east) » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:00 am

Duluth East travels to Wayzata for its first significant test of the year, as they take on a battle-tested Trojan squad that has already beaten two of the Hounds' rivals in 7AA. Positioning within the state's top ten will be on the line.

Having seen both teams play this year, I'd say Wayzata has more scoring depth, though Eastview was able to bother their defensemen on Tuesday, winning a number of one-on-one battles both off the rush and down in corners. If East can forecheck effectively and set up their signature cycle in the offensive zone, they'll do well. On the flip side, the Trojans were also able to sneak players like Freytag out for some long passes, and since East's defensemen (particularly Meirs Moore) like to get involved in the rush, that could be an issue.

Also, according to several sources, Mike Randolph is sitting on 499 career wins at the Minnesota high school level, including his brief stint at Duluth Cathedral (now Marshall) in the 80s.

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:04 am

Karl, it seems unusual for East, but don't they have most of their talent on the back end this year? It seems like their top end talent is at D and in goal, and I'm not saying they can't score, but up front I don't see a player that is elite that can snipe a shot when needed and carry the team on their back. Kinda reminds me of the years East lost in the semifinals back to back because they just didn't have an elite forward like Rapids and CEC did in Patrick White and Tyler Johnson. Your thoughts?
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:31 am

TheHockeyDJ wrote:Karl, it seems unusual for East, but don't they have most of their talent on the back end this year? It seems like their top end talent is at D and in goal, and I'm not saying they can't score, but up front I don't see a player that is elite that can snipe a shot when needed and carry the team on their back. Kinda reminds me of the years East lost in the semifinals back to back because they just didn't have an elite forward like Rapids and CEC did in Patrick White and Tyler Johnson. Your thoughts?
I'd agree their top-end talent is in back, though the Lundgren-Forbort-Toscano line is still probably a bit better than anything they had in 06 or 07. And though Moore is a defenseman, he is one of the most offensive defensemen you'll ever see. That top unit will score some goals; the question is if they'll get enough support from the lower lines to relieve some of the burden on the top group. I'm sure Randolph will be tinkering with his lower lines for some time, and there is some potential back there.

A better comparison might be the 08 team that lost to Cloquet, as they also had one top line that did most of the scoring and 3 D-I defensemen (though none of them were seniors). Still, I think this squad is stronger than that one due to its experience (13 seniors) and goaltending.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:12 pm

Wayzata up 1-0 after one; shots 7-6 in favor of East. Choppy period; East with a lot of offensive zone time but not a lot of good chances.

dulutheastfan

Post by dulutheastfan » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:24 pm

keep the updates coming thanks karl
"Nothing Runs like a Greyhound"

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:52 pm

Still 1-0 after 2. The second was one of those obnoxious periods East fans know all too well, in which they absolutely dominated play (SOG somewhere around 12-1), but just couldn't score. Wayzata is disciplined, and Dingmann has made some big saves in net. We'll see if East can wear them down in the 3rd; Moore and Beaulieu have been in command of this game from the points.

Live stream here: http://www.highschoolcube.com/event/dul ... key-302988

Bonehead

Post by Bonehead » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:15 pm

karl(east) wrote:
Live stream here: http://www.highschoolcube.com/event/dul ... key-302988
Thanks for the stream link!!!

Bonehead

Post by Bonehead » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:38 pm

Wow. Tough loss for DE - amazing win for Dingmann and the Wayzata defense.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:38 pm

1-0 Final. Wayzata scored a minute in and then played 50 minutes of quality trapping hockey. They did a good job of limiting chances, though East missed a few where they probably should have finished, and Dingmann was outstanding. East started slow, had a great second, and a decent third, though they cost themselves with some frustration-induced offsides plays in the final frame.

Very, very irksome game if you're an East fan, but the amount of puck control was a positive...I wasn't expecting this game to look this one-sided. They just need to bury; it was a quiet afternoon for the East top line in particular. Wayzata, on the other hand, just keeps scraping out these low-scoring quality wins. They're not pretty, but wins are wins, and if they can build on this as the season goes along, they'll be tough down the stretch.

GOPHERFAN119

Post by GOPHERFAN119 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:46 pm

Great win for Wayzata. Digmann was outstanding and player of the game. Very impressed with Duluth East. They dominated most of the game. They moved the puck quick and they are big. Thier defenseman were outstanding. Their two kids who play defense on their power play unit are fantastic. Wow.

Kudos to Wayzata for the win. Keep up the great work.

Wayzata fan.