EP stumbles again

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

keepyourheadup

EP stumbles again

Post by keepyourheadup »

Ep goes down 4-3 to Lakeville North tonight. While the Eagles clearly had more talent they were way out of sync! They are far to good to play the way they did tonight, showing no sense of urgency until the third and then they ran out of time. This group has a ways to go to become a team.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Just need to keepyourheadup.

:wink:
FREDFLINTSTONE

Post by FREDFLINTSTONE »

After watching EP last night.......very poor showing. I thought the defense was going to be a strong point on this team, but wow. Good teams find ways to win games.....maybe they are a little over-rated. Maybe it's the "I play when I want to play" theory because they didn't want to play last night.
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

At the beginning of the season I had them put down as my favorite this year. They definitely have the talent to dominate but as to why they haven't I just don't understand. Who knows whether or not it is the fact that they aren't "playing as a team." It will be interesting to see if they can pull it together.
GTTN

Post by GTTN »

Reminds me of BSM last year at this time...
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

GTTN wrote:Reminds me of BSM last year at this time...
Very true... Benilde had the Jablonski motive as well as a deeper team to pull them through. I know EP has depth but I'm not sure they are quite as deep as Benilde was last year.
hockey4ever

Post by hockey4ever »

I watched the game last night and won't offer my opinion, but I thought the comments throughout the game by the announcers were right on. Eden Prairie has the talent, size and speed to be a dominant team, but currently there is little puck movement, no sense of urgency from start to finish, and too many guys trying to do too much on their own. Time will tell if they can pull it all together.
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

At about the 5 minute mark of the first period shots were 9-3 in favor of EP. At the end of 2 they were being out shot 23-19. I was shocked that the Eagles could play that poorly for that long. As previously mentioned it was one solo rush after another by guys trying to go coast to coast..I figured Smith would call time out and read them the riot act at some point! They played much better in the third but like I said earlier it was too late by then.
Metrohockeyfan

Post by Metrohockeyfan »

How were the goals scored for LVN? Were they more defensive break downs on the part of EP?
newtendy29fan

Post by newtendy29fan »

keepyourheadup wrote:At about the 5 minute mark of the first period shots were 9-3 in favor of EP. At the end of 2 they were being out shot 23-19. I was shocked that the Eagles could play that poorly for that long. As previously mentioned it was one solo rush after another by guys trying to go coast to coast..I figured Smith would call time out and read them the riot act at some point! They played much better in the third but like I said earlier it was too late by then.
From what I saw, EP seemed to loose momentum once the first few goals went in...slowing down the offense. I wasnt counting but I am amazed that LVN getting 33 shots on EP.
hockey4ever

Post by hockey4ever »

First goal was a terrible turnover by EP that allowed a LN player to have a clear shot on goal from close in. Second I think was a PP goal and the shooter skated in from the point to have a clear shot. Don't remember third goal but last was off a 3 on 1. EP goalie made some big saves or the score could have been worse.
newtendy29fan

Post by newtendy29fan »

hockey4ever wrote:First goal was a terrible turnover by EP that allowed a LN player to have a clear shot on goal from close in. Second I think was a PP goal and the shooter skated in from the point to have a clear shot. Don't remember third goal but last was off a 3 on 1. EP goalie made some big saves or the score could have been worse.
Interesting perspective...funny how two people watching the same game can see different things.
supertacks

Post by supertacks »

hockey4ever wrote:First goal was a terrible turnover by EP that allowed a LN player to have a clear shot on goal from close in. Second I think was a PP goal and the shooter skated in from the point to have a clear shot. Don't remember third goal but last was off a 3 on 1. EP goalie made some big saves or the score could have been worse.
Agreed, goaltending is not the problem here. The problem right now is way too much undisciplined and selfish play going on in front of the goaltenders. This is a classic case of where the whole is NOT greater than the sum of the parts. The good news is that the talent is there, the problem is more between the ears and the coaching staff (and players) have a lot of time yet to get things straightened out.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

EP will pull through, they got the horses no doubt. LN has solid coaching now too though and w/this being the 2nd year with the new staff I anticipate them being much improved and will continue to get better. (Although losing arguably their best d-man to a knee injury in the prep bowl didn't help)

The twin sophomores for LN are IMO their best players. keepyourheadup-didn't see you there last night, don't be so bashful next time!
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

Trying to keep a low profile!