Hill Murray at St. Thomas Academy 12/15 7:30 PM

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Pioneers
81%
Cadets
19%

Total votes: 26

PointBlank

Post by PointBlank » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:38 pm

While it may not seem like it to parents of high school hockey players who are immersed in the season, life is so much bigger than any one period of hockey, or a win or loss in one game of the season. As an alumni parent of the HM family, I am proud to come out of a program like this, and sadden at the immaturity shown by previous postings. I hope the parents realize that while he is a talented high school hockey player, he is not that talented. He is very good, and follows a line of very good players who have gone before him, and many very good players who will follow.

HM as a program has far too much class for this discussion on the forum. During our time with the program, I did not agree with many of Coach's decisions, and decisions often were made that caused my son angst. But never, was my son's issues more important than the team. I watched Coach routinely make decisions that strengthened the team, and elevated the team game. I watched him make calls that cost the team a repeat at State. And I watched him teach these young boys how to be men. While individual decisions were not always easy, I will forever be grateful for the lessons that were taught and the pride I held for the program.

If your boy is as talented as you believe, then you should be thinking about the lessons he will need at the next level. At D1, players sit for many reasons. But always it is about team first. Kids who play for self, or badmouth their coach's decisions on twitter, won't be around long. Decisions are not aways fair or just and are never justified by coaches. And the players need to be able to meet the decisions with grace and maturity.

Dare to be about something bigger than yourself, and teach your son to be ready for what lies ahead.

Granttenn

Hill

Post by Granttenn » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:52 pm

PointBlank wrote:While it may not seem like it to parents of high school hockey players who are immersed in the season, life is so much bigger than any one period of hockey, or a win or loss in one game of the season. As an alumni parent of the HM family, I am proud to come out of a program like this, and sadden at the immaturity shown by previous postings. I hope the parents realize that while he is a talented high school hockey player, he is not that talented. He is very good, and follows a line of very good players who have gone before him, and many very good players who will follow.

HM as a program has far too much class for this discussion on the forum. During our time with the program, I did not agree with many of Coach's decisions, and decisions often were made that caused my son angst. But never, was my son's issues more important than the team. I watched Coach routinely make decisions that strengthened the team, and elevated the team game. I watched him make calls that cost the team a repeat at State. And I watched him teach these young boys how to be men. While individual decisions were not always easy, I will forever be grateful for the lessons that were taught and the pride I held for the program.

If your boy is as talented as you believe, then you should be thinking about the lessons he will need at the next level. At D1, players sit for many reasons. But always it is about team first. Kids who play for self, or badmouth their coach's decisions on twitter, won't be around long. Decisions are not aways fair or just and are never justified by coaches. And the players need to be able to meet the decisions with grace and maturity.

Dare to be about something bigger than yourself, and teach your son to be ready for what lies ahead.
This was not the son of any poster that I am aware of.. And this was about the team and the outcome Lechner's actions caused...This is a forum where people passionate about the team discuss, criticize, and yes, vent.. We are not perfect.. Perhaps we are learning the very lessons you describe. Did you look down on those learning the lessons referred to in your post as you do with those posting today......

HShockeywatcher

Re: Hill - Lechner

Post by HShockeywatcher » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:34 pm

Hill has been dominating St Thomas in this match up for years. Never have the Cadets been favored. Never have I seen anyone make excuses for St Thomas...Hill beat them. The better team won.

Now, the coach lost the game? :lol: It'd be interesting to hear what the comments would've been had the two goals in the 3rd not happened.
Wallyworld wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:
Granttenn wrote:Lex can do what he wants but might want to remember that people pay money to watch the entertainment product that his school is putting out there. Sitting one of you best players to try to snap him out of his scoring slump is not a bad thing but, as others have stated, I just think that the timing was bad. The other kids, especially Dugas, who was incredible, and the fans deserved better than this knee-jerk reaction from an otherwise great coach..
This isn't the NBA now; what's next, you going to suggest the team be fined too? :lol:

He didn't "blow it." He's a coach, he was coaching. It's amazing how many people think they know what's best from the stands :roll:
He didn't "blow it."...It's amazing how many people think they know what's best from the stands ...

And where are you commenting from? The bench??
I don't know what's best and I'm not claiming to. I leave that to the coaches...
Granttenn wrote:
warriors41 wrote:
Granttenn wrote:
Lex can do what he wants but might want to remember that people pay money to watch the entertainment product that his school is putting out there.
It's high school. No high school coach owes anything to the fans in the stands, not even the parents. It's still December. It is a million times better he makes this point now instead of during playoff time. It does not matter what the player did do make the coach mad. It is his call 100%. Also, there doesn't seem to be a consensus as to who the better team was. For all we know, STA could have tied the game or taken a lead. Ten minutes is a long time in hockey.
On the contrary about owing anything to fans. I give thousands of $$ a year to Hill and I'm pretty sure the fundraising people cashing the check know that I don't do that to see them piss away games with a stupid move..
If you are giving money so one of the head coaches can coach the way you want him to, then you are giving money for the wrong reasons.

mriccihockey

Post by mriccihockey » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:06 pm

PointBlank wrote:While it may not seem like it to parents of high school hockey players who are immersed in the season, life is so much bigger than any one period of hockey, or a win or loss in one game of the season. As an alumni parent of the HM family, I am proud to come out of a program like this, and sadden at the immaturity shown by previous postings. I hope the parents realize that while he is a talented high school hockey player, he is not that talented. He is very good, and follows a line of very good players who have gone before him, and many very good players who will follow.

Your right on! Kids better learn what social media can do to tarnish your image. And shame on the parent for encouraging such behavior. Show me a kid with terrible judgement and I'll show you a parent who's not trying to teach those life lessons.

Wallyworld

Post by Wallyworld » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:28 pm

mriccihockey wrote:

Your right on! Kids better learn what social media can do to tarnish your image. And shame on the parent for encouraging such behavior. Show me a kid with terrible judgement and I'll show you a parent who's not trying to teach those life lessons.
Who the heck are the 'parents' encouraging such behavior?? It would help if you knew what you were talking about...

dingle

Post by dingle » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:56 am

Wally, he is absolutely correct about this. Big egos at Hill, from the top to the top line.

BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:54 am

dingle wrote:Wally, he is absolutely correct about this. Big egos at Hill, from the top to the top line.
Interesting perspective. Anything to back that up? Aside from a couple dust-ups recently with the top line? Just curious where the info is coming from. I've always got the impression from players on recent squads and from the coaching staff that everyone tries to stay humble and hungry

hockeyfan893

Post by hockeyfan893 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:06 pm

I would be happy to provide what details I can via personal messages.

Issues regarding a kid and his family / parenting should not be publicly speculated upon.

Let's keep the focus here on the hockey.

BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:30 pm

hockeyfan893 wrote:I would be happy to provide what details I can via personal messages.

Issues regarding a kid and his family / parenting should not be publicly speculated upon.

Let's keep the focus here on the hockey.

I'm not looking for specific kids and families and what issues may or may not exist. I have a different opinion on the huge ego comment 'from the top to the top line at HM'. That seems to be a pretty broad stroke and when someone comments on a forum like that I would expect something to back it up. Just like if I wrote that everyone at Cloquet from top to bottom in that organization has ego issues I would expect that Cloquet followers would question the validity of the statement