Hill-Murray at White Bear Lake | 12/18

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who do ya got?

Poll ended at Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:57 pm

White Bear Lake
7%
Hill-Murray
93%

Total votes: 27

BearsSensGophs

Post by BearsSensGophs » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:01 pm

Slattery also kicked out now

inthetwine

Post by inthetwine » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:18 pm

captainjimmy18 wrote:Slattery also kicked out now
Is Slattery from WBL originally?

puckstopper33

Post by puckstopper33 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:38 pm

inthetwine wrote:
I believe he is from Centennial. Anyone know why Willie Brown is out?

BearsSensGophs

Post by BearsSensGophs » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:40 pm

4-1

Hill is walking away with this one.

BearsSensGophs

Post by BearsSensGophs » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:41 pm

5-1

BearsSensGophs

Post by BearsSensGophs » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:48 pm

It's becoming laughable, 6-1

meridian90

Post by meridian90 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:16 pm

puckstopper33 wrote:
inthetwine wrote:
Centennial originally. When his sister was in high school they "lived" at an address listed in roseville so she could play their instead of centennial.

Slattery played at Shattuck last year, and in order to play for Hill this year they had to "move into the district"

another example of parents coddling kids cuz they are god's gift to the world.

You know a kid is full of himself when after he is ejected his quote is "who the [expletive] does this ref think he is? doesn't he know i scored 2 [expletive] goals in the game?"

stpaul

Re: HM - WBL

Post by stpaul » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:47 pm

stpaul wrote:since 2005:

HM 15 wins, WBL 1
Make that 16-1.

There is some hope for the WBLers. The JV game was very competitive. HM won 4-2 with an empty netter. Of course Tim Sager hasn't gotten his hands on these kids yet.

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:05 pm

meridian90 wrote:
puckstopper33 wrote:
inthetwine wrote:
Centennial originally. When his sister was in high school they "lived" at an address listed in roseville so she could play their instead of centennial.

Slattery played at Shattuck last year, and in order to play for Hill this year they had to "move into the district"

You know a kid is full of himself when after he is ejected his quote is "who the [expletive] does this ref think he is? doesn't he know i scored 2 [expletive] goals in the game?"
Can somebody explain to me what is "the District" for a private school? And remember, its for the education. :roll:

meridian90

Post by meridian90 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:42 pm

BodyShots wrote:
meridian90 wrote:
puckstopper33 wrote:
inthetwine wrote:

Can somebody explain to me what is "the District" for a private school? And remember, its for the education. :roll:
I'm curious as to how this works as well. But from what I understand he has to move to a district that isn't Shattuck, such as roseville or something, then open enroll at Hill to prevent sitting out a year. Essentially using "moving" to justify a school change rather than just calling it transferring.

Its all loopholes and little tricks for the "education"...

My (maybe) final thought is.... what I wouldn't give for Scott Hambly to be the coach of white bear varsity hockey.

bemused

Post by bemused » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:48 pm

As long as he didn't bring his assistant coaches it would be great..and a lot of wbl'ers would stay home and play!!!

stpaul

HM

Post by stpaul » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:58 pm

BodyShots wrote:Can somebody explain to me what is "the District" for a private school? And remember, its for the education. :roll:
It's not that complicated. Private schools do not have districts. Some kids go to Hill-Murray for hockey. I suspect some kids go to White Bear Lake for hockey too. They're just not as good at it.

meridian90

Post by meridian90 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:04 am

bemused wrote:As long as he didn't bring his assistant coaches it would be great..and a lot of wbl'ers would stay home and play!!!
I was thinking Hambly, Greer, Anderson

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:27 am

That is one ugly shed they got there. I don't know if there are any decent seats, maybe the top row behind the red line on the home side. Other than that, terrible sight lines.

The heater on the visitor side was not on. I know it's a huge white elephant. Maybe the heater could be rigged to accept cash payments- $1 for 5 minutes of heat. The game was sold out, which wouldn't have happened at Aldrich. Schools are always saying they are under funded; selling another 1,000 tickets at $6 each wouldn't hurt, but God forbid they hold the game at a decent venue. It's their crummy shed, and they want hold the game there. The Coliseum would be better.

They ran out of pop corn before the second intermission. Maybe having the proper amount of supplies on hand for the largest high school crowd of the season would also raise more revenue, for the school, the youth association, or the management.

On the plus side, they did manage a goal against the Pioneers, a first for the Bears in the Vadnais Sports Center. Some home ice advantage, 9 goals against, one for, shut out 5 of 6 periods, one goalie chased from the game, all in two games vs. HM. No wonder they don't hold the game at Aldrich. Even the WB band left early.

Pioneerprideguy

Post by Pioneerprideguy » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:55 am

Solid win for the Pioneers....always nice beating the Bears!

Tough 1st period to watch as there wasn't much flow due to numerous penatlies called. I get how the game is being officated these days, but it's unfortunate that WB lost one of their best D right away & HM, already without a top forward, lost another in the first period. Both to 5 min majors and game misconducts. I just hope when they play in sections, and i believe they will, that both will be at full strength the entire game.

Speed and goaltending was the difference in this game. HM was noticeably quicker and had very little difficulty leaving their zone. And Dugas, when tested, looked solid.

There is a gap between the two teams right now, but as we always see, that gap closes by the end of the year. Looking forward to the next game.

Pioneerprideguy

Post by Pioneerprideguy » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:08 am

stpaul wrote:
stpaul wrote:since 2005:

HM 15 wins, WBL 1
Make that 16-1.

There is some hope for the WBLers. The JV game was very competitive. HM won 4-2 with an empty netter. Of course Tim Sager hasn't gotten his hands on these kids yet.

St. Paul,

I think giving Bears false hope is cruel. Referrencing a competitive JV game, on the surface, may provide a ray of optimism for WBL in the future, but a closer look at things only provides more gloom.

HM's JV team is very good and very young. They have middle school kids (7th & 8th graders) playing and contributing. An 8th grader last night scored a hat trick and was arguably the best player on the ice for both teams. His younger brother, a 7th grader, plays a regular shift and holds his own.

When you consider the likelihood of Whalen leaving WBL before his senior season, and the quality of HM youth, it pretty much looks like Hill's dominance will continue.

shame on you St. Paul, for playing mind games with Bear fans. [-X

meridian90

Post by meridian90 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:16 am

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:They ran out of pop corn before the second intermission. Maybe having the proper amount of supplies on hand for the largest high school crowd of the season would also raise more revenue, for the school, the youth association, or the management.
The concessions are run by Sak's sports Bar, not WBL so that really isn't in control of the school.

Pioneerprideguy

Re: HM

Post by Pioneerprideguy » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:27 am

stpaul wrote:
BodyShots wrote:Can somebody explain to me what is "the District" for a private school? And remember, its for the education. :roll:
It's not that complicated. Private schools do not have districts. Some kids go to Hill-Murray for hockey. I suspect some kids go to White Bear Lake for hockey too. They're just not as good at it.
Last year, Hill went to State in football, hockey, and baseball. This year, football again went to state, and the hockey team has a chance to repeat as well. It appears kids are coming for reasons other than hockey.

The school has a strong educational history as well as athletics. Families enjoy being a part of the Pioneer community and kids enjoy being a part of success. It's not difficult to see why people attend the school...and others like it.

I always smile when I attend a Hill-Murray sporting event and see kids wearing sporting apparel. Last night I saw a kid wearing a Stillwater hockey sweatshirt (with a Pioneer hockey hat). I saw a kid wearing Roseville sweatpants with a HM sweatshirt. I even overheard a couple of WBL youth players (dressed from head to toe in their Bear's hockey attire) saying to one of their own, "you are so lucky to be going to Hill."
Keep working hard kids in the Hill-Murray feeder programs and we look forward to seeing in the future! :wink:

meridian90

Post by meridian90 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:28 am

Pioneerprideguy wrote:Solid win for the Pioneers....always nice beating the Bears!

Tough 1st period to watch as there wasn't much flow due to numerous penatlies called. I get how the game is being officated these days, but it's unfortunate that WB lost one of their best D right away & HM, already without a top forward, lost another in the first period. Both to 5 min majors and game misconducts. I just hope when they play in sections, and i believe they will, that both will be at full strength the entire game.

Speed and goaltending was the difference in this game. HM was noticeably quicker and had very little difficulty leaving their zone. And Dugas, when tested, looked solid.

There is a gap between the two teams right now, but as we always see, that gap closes by the end of the year. Looking forward to the next game.
I don't think the gap will be closed that much this year. The WBL team is much younger than usual, with probably 7 of the top 9 forwards being sophomores. They will probably improve this year significantly, but still not enough to overcome Hill.

WBL's best chance will be next year with Whalin probably playing his final year in a bear's sweater and another year under the belt of the young forwards. I think there best goalie is currently playing JV as well in Chase Gorman.

I don't understand why Sager won't move Giller up to first line. Whalin needs another guy that can score the puck with him, so teams can't just focus on Whalin. Have the seniors play second line where they can go against second line guys. It all comes back to coaching IMO. My problem is that the brand of hockey Sager employs against Hill is so passive, unless you have people play out of their minds (i.e. Whalin, Birkinbine, Jansen 2 years ago) you will never gain the upper hand. The ULTRA passive pack it in penalty kill really needs to stop. All it does is ruin sitelines for goalies and makes them lose pucks from the high slot. It has happened repeatedly this year.

Lastly, on the officiating, I didn't see the Checking from Behind, but i'm guessing it was a legit call, and was deserved. The contact to the head penalty I did see, and I can definitely say that was clear intent, and its not a coincidence that the guy slattery was cheap shotting was whalin. I've seen a lot of hockey games, but the cheap shot to the head, combined with the extra stuff after he was given the DQ was one of the more classless things i've seen.

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:35 am

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:The heater on the visitor side was not on.

They ran out of pop corn before the second intermission.
:cry:

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:53 am

Thanks for the info- I wish I could have went down to the game. :cry: Was Whalin the best player on the ice ???

meridian90

Post by meridian90 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:00 am

old goalie85 wrote:Thanks for the info- I wish I could have went down to the game. :cry: Was Whalin the best player on the ice ???
Slattery was the best guy on the ice until he got the boot. White Bear tried to spring Whalin up the wing all game, but Hill covered it up well. Usually when he did get the puck he was 1 on 2/3 so he couldn't do much with the puck.

Lechner knew if you take away Whalin, you take away his whole line. Sager expects Whalin to carry that line, and if any opposing team is smart they will take away Whalin and neutralize that line. Wilke would do well on the 2nd line, so I think Giller should move up.

Whalin did manage to get pucks to the net, but no one else was there to cash in for the Bears.

I would have to say Whalin was the best skater on the ice after slattery got the DQ, but the cohesion of the Hill lines was impressive.

stpaul

HM - WBL

Post by stpaul » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:45 am

meridian90 wrote:Lastly, on the officiating, I didn't see the Checking from Behind, but i'm guessing it was a legit call, and was deserved. The contact to the head penalty I did see, and I can definitely say that was clear intent, and its not a coincidence that the guy slattery was cheap shotting was whalin. I've seen a lot of hockey games, but the cheap shot to the head, combined with the extra stuff after he was given the DQ was one of the more classless things i've seen.
I had no problem with either call. They are trying to rid the game of checking from behind and shots to the head. Neither one was particularly violent but both clear as day. Slattery got frustrated by Whalin holding his stick. It was very stupid to go after him. He will now be out tomorrow night for Tartan when they may need his scoring ability. Not sure why Willie Brown didn't play. Tartan obviously plays tough defense and has a great goalie. HM may miss not having Slattery & Brown.

meridian90

Post by meridian90 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:56 am

stpaul wrote:
meridian90 wrote:Lastly, on the officiating, I didn't see the Checking from Behind, but i'm guessing it was a legit call, and was deserved. The contact to the head penalty I did see, and I can definitely say that was clear intent, and its not a coincidence that the guy slattery was cheap shotting was whalin. I've seen a lot of hockey games, but the cheap shot to the head, combined with the extra stuff after he was given the DQ was one of the more classless things i've seen.
I had no problem with either call. They are trying to rid the game of checking from behind and shots to the head. Neither one was particularly violent but both clear as day. Slattery got frustrated by Whalin holding his stick. It was very stupid to go after him. He will now be out tomorrow night for Tartan when they may need his scoring ability. Not sure why Willie Brown didn't play. Tartan obviously plays tough defense and has a great goalie. HM may miss not having Slattery & Brown.
Yeah i had no problem with the actual shot on whalin, i get that the games between these teams can get out of hand. its essentially a high school version of gophers/UND, my problem was with the way Slattery treated officials, penalty box operators and the site staff after the ejection. To his credit, I heard Lechner tore slattery apart between periods, the full intermission just reaming him.

SChockey

Post by SChockey » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:40 pm

Not like it's a big deal or anything, but his last name is Wahlin. Not Whalin. :D