Hill-Murray at White Bear Lake | 12/18

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who do ya got?

Poll ended at Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:57 pm

White Bear Lake
7%
Hill-Murray
93%

Total votes: 27

Edwardo

Post by Edwardo » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:07 pm

meridian90 wrote:
old goalie85 wrote:Thanks for the info- I wish I could have went down to the game. :cry: Was Whalin the best player on the ice ???
Slattery was the best guy on the ice until he got the boot. White Bear tried to spring Whalin up the wing all game, but Hill covered it up well. Usually when he did get the puck he was 1 on 2/3 so he couldn't do much with the puck.

Lechner knew if you take away Whalin, you take away his whole line. Sager expects Whalin to carry that line, and if any opposing team is smart they will take away Whalin and neutralize that line. Wilke would do well on the 2nd line, so I think Giller should move up.

Whalin did manage to get pucks to the net, but no one else was there to cash in for the Bears.

I would have to say Whalin was the best skater on the ice after slattery got the DQ, but the cohesion of the Hill lines was impressive.
Move King back up where he belongs with Bocci & Wahlin, now you have a for checker a back checker and 2 guys that can move the puck. Put Giller on a line with Deppert & Steffan and put Wilke on the 3rd line with Welch Novak or Welch, Novak and Anderson, and Wilke on the 4th line he tries hard, but is afraid out there and therefore struggles with the job. At least this way you have 2 lines that can put the puck in the net, 1 line that can score but with Novak you have a fore/back Chkr. like Bocchi on the fisrt line. They need to put lines together that have roles, creating roles is something that Sager is incapable of doing. He still plays his 70's 80's hockey; let Greer and Anderson take over. With the right combination of lines he could play 4 lines somewhat consistent, at least it would keep his top 2 lines fresh in the 3rd period, which is a huge problem they have, Sager wears out the top line and there gassed by the 3rd period. Oh let's get into defense. Why do we have a goalie? He has his "D" blocking shots inside the hash marks, which makes it impossible for a goalie to stop a deflected puck that close. One other thing, what ever happened to the "D" moving the guy out from in front of the net so the goalie can see the lane, WB's Goalies are screened by there own defense on half the shots.

nobama

Post by nobama » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:49 pm

pond hockey why all the excitement :shock:

wbmd

Post by wbmd » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:52 pm

Edwardo wrote:
meridian90 wrote:
old goalie85 wrote:Thanks for the info- I wish I could have went down to the game. :cry: Was Whalin the best player on the ice ???
Slattery was the best guy on the ice until he got the boot. White Bear tried to spring Whalin up the wing all game, but Hill covered it up well. Usually when he did get the puck he was 1 on 2/3 so he couldn't do much with the puck.

Lechner knew if you take away Whalin, you take away his whole line. Sager expects Whalin to carry that line, and if any opposing team is smart they will take away Whalin and neutralize that line. Wilke would do well on the 2nd line, so I think Giller should move up.

Whalin did manage to get pucks to the net, but no one else was there to cash in for the Bears.

I would have to say Whalin was the best skater on the ice after slattery got the DQ, but the cohesion of the Hill lines was impressive.
Move King back up where he belongs with Bocci & Wahlin, now you have a for checker a back checker and 2 guys that can move the puck. Put Giller on a line with Deppert & Steffan and put Wilke on the 3rd line with Welch Novak or Welch, Novak and Anderson, and Wilke on the 4th line he tries hard, but is afraid out there and therefore struggles with the job. At least this way you have 2 lines that can put the puck in the net, 1 line that can score but with Novak you have a fore/back Chkr. like Bocchi on the fisrt line. They need to put lines together that have roles, creating roles is something that Sager is incapable of doing. He still plays his 70's 80's hockey; let Greer and Anderson take over. With the right combination of lines he could play 4 lines somewhat consistent, at least it would keep his top 2 lines fresh in the 3rd period, which is a huge problem they have, Sager wears out the top line and there gassed by the 3rd period. Oh let's get into defense. Why do we have a goalie? He has his "D" blocking shots inside the hash marks, which makes it impossible for a goalie to stop a deflected puck that close. One other thing, what ever happened to the "D" moving the guy out from in front of the net so the goalie can see the lane, WB's Goalies are screened by there own defense on half the shots.
Sager has never known how to put lines together properly in his 11 years of coaching at White Bear - including on the power play. Bozo the clown needs to be replaced and soon!

meridian90

Post by meridian90 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:55 pm

SChockey wrote:Not like it's a big deal or anything, but his last name is Wahlin. Not Whalin. :D
Thanks, i knew it looked wrong, was just to lazy to check on the "h"

Burlyleftwinger

Post by Burlyleftwinger » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:37 pm

I've heard this for YEARS...and now have kids in WB youth hockey and hear all the time that guys will go to Hill or wherever else if Sager is still coach when they get to high school. So my question is...how do you get someone fired? Does someone need to write the AD? Can the AD seriously not have any idea about the situation? I hate to see anyone lose a job, and he seems like a decent guy...but c'mon!

meridian90

Post by meridian90 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:54 am

Burlyleftwinger wrote:I've heard this for YEARS...and now have kids in WB youth hockey and hear all the time that guys will go to Hill or wherever else if Sager is still coach when they get to high school. So my question is...how do you get someone fired? Does someone need to write the AD? Can the AD seriously not have any idea about the situation? I hate to see anyone lose a job, and he seems like a decent guy...but c'mon!
It goes both ways. You don't want parents to be the whistle blowers but at the same time you need people who are evaluating their employees to make the right decision even if it is "hard." Bill Butters essentially left WBL coaching position because he couldn't/didn't want to deal with the overzealous ness of so many parents.

From what I have heard, the relationship between the AD and Sager is rocky at best. Not that that is grounds to fire a guy. But the AD was in attendance for the Hill game and I hope he saw how ugly that was from a coaching standpoint, and maybe spurs action.

If the older wahlin, birkinbine, Jansen and a hot goaltender didn't carry Sager to state and a coach of the year award I don't think he is the coach right now. The problem is he relies on guys like Hambly to make these kids good, smart skaters, and some of them never take the next step in varsity. All you need to look at is his record since 2005 against HM, essentially the measuring stick for WBL since its the main opposition to get to state, and that record is 1-16. Let Greer, Anderson take over. These two I think would also be more receptive to college coaches talking to players, allowing the kids to feel like they don't need to bail for juniors to get noticed.

The white bear girls coach, Jerry Kwapick, is a tremendous coach, and its too bad he never got a chance to coach a boys team, but I think he fell in love with coaching girls teams after coaching his 3 daughters, and some other great talent, and great kids like Hannah Brandt and Sam Hanson.

inthetwine

Post by inthetwine » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:52 am

meridian90 wrote:
Burlyleftwinger wrote:I've heard this for YEARS...and now have kids in WB youth hockey and hear all the time that guys will go to Hill or wherever else if Sager is still coach when they get to high school. So my question is...how do you get someone fired? Does someone need to write the AD? Can the AD seriously not have any idea about the situation? I hate to see anyone lose a job, and he seems like a decent guy...but c'mon!
It goes both ways. You don't want parents to be the whistle blowers but at the same time you need people who are evaluating their employees to make the right decision even if it is "hard." Bill Butters essentially left WBL coaching position because he couldn't/didn't want to deal with the overzealous ness of so many parents.

From what I have heard, the relationship between the AD and Sager is rocky at best. Not that that is grounds to fire a guy. But the AD was in attendance for the Hill game and I hope he saw how ugly that was from a coaching standpoint, and maybe spurs action.

If the older wahlin, birkinbine, Jansen and a hot goaltender didn't carry Sager to state and a coach of the year award I don't think he is the coach right now. The problem is he relies on guys like Hambly to make these kids good, smart skaters, and some of them never take the next step in varsity. All you need to look at is his record since 2005 against HM, essentially the measuring stick for WBL since its the main opposition to get to state, and that record is 1-16. Let Greer, Anderson take over. These two I think would also be more receptive to college coaches talking to players, allowing the kids to feel like they don't need to bail for juniors to get noticed.

The white bear girls coach, Jerry Kwapick, is a tremendous coach, and its too bad he never got a chance to coach a boys team, but I think he fell in love with coaching girls teams after coaching his 3 daughters, and some other great talent, and great kids like Hannah Brandt and Sam Hanson.
WBL will never fire a coach for performance reasons, and the school district rule of a coach needing to work for the school district in another capacity limits the coaching pool. If Greer or Anderson do not work in the school district, they cannot be the head coach.

meridian90

Post by meridian90 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:56 am

inthetwine wrote:WBL will never fire a coach for performance reasons, and the school district rule of a coach needing to work for the school district in another capacity limits the coaching pool. If Greer or Anderson do not work in the school district, they cannot be the head coach.
There are definitely a few of the head coaches that do not work for the District that head coach for white bear teams. How are they able to? Just based on no one in the district having the desire to be the head coach?

Burlyleftwinger

Post by Burlyleftwinger » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:13 am

I know Greer is substitute teacher in WBL..

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:15 am

Was Butters a teacher ??

BearsSensGophs

Post by BearsSensGophs » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:27 pm

WBL has always been hesitant to pull the triggers on coaches. Coach Jackson was allowed to coach the football team until he wanted to leave because it seems as if they consider going to the first or second round of the playoffs but ultimately his outdated offense got overpowered. Sager appears to have that same amount of slack.

meridian90

Post by meridian90 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:24 pm

captainjimmy18 wrote:WBL has always been hesitant to pull the triggers on coaches. Coach Jackson was allowed to coach the football team until he wanted to leave because it seems as if they consider going to the first or second round of the playoffs but ultimately his outdated offense got overpowered. Sager appears to have that same amount of slack.
Jackson was the AD most of the time he was football coach. Most people don't fire themselves. New AD, let's see if his philosophy changes from the previous regime (aka jackson.)

BearsSensGophs

Post by BearsSensGophs » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:08 pm

meridian90 wrote:
captainjimmy18 wrote:WBL has always been hesitant to pull the triggers on coaches. Coach Jackson was allowed to coach the football team until he wanted to leave because it seems as if they consider going to the first or second round of the playoffs but ultimately his outdated offense got overpowered. Sager appears to have that same amount of slack.
Jackson was the AD most of the time he was football coach. Most people don't fire themselves. New AD, let's see if his philosophy changes from the previous regime (aka jackson.)

I know but even as AD he wasn't untouchable. There are ways to make changes but since he had winning records and playoff appearances people were content.

wbmd

Post by wbmd » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:35 pm

Time to get a petition going to get rid of Sager.