SCC Austin Poganski verbally commits to UND

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

HawkeyPower

SCC Austin Poganski verbally commits to UND

Post by HawkeyPower » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:46 pm

Congrats to Another D1 commit. Good luck at North Dakota

truehockeyfan

Post by truehockeyfan » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:59 pm

Congrats to Austin. Great player and a great kid!

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:26 am

Did he play his youth Hockey in St. Cloud?

blindref

Post by blindref » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:44 am

Yes

northern_guy

Post by northern_guy » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:43 am

What non local people need to understand about Cathedral is that these are kids (95%) who grow up playing youth hockey in St. Cloud and who also attend private school from kindergarten until they reach Cathedral in 7th grade. All students are welcome to receive a premium education but athletes are not recruited. Parents chose this over the horrendous public school conditions in the central minnesota area. Congrats to a great player..wish he was playing for the Gophers so I could watch him on TV..maybe that new hockey conference will figure something out though with TV.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:42 am

Great hockey player, huge pickup for the Sioux. Was really hoping the U could have snagged him, especially after Hurley committing to Notre Dame. He is a guy they could have really used unlike a lot of the recruits Lucia has got commitments from in the last year...

orm1210

Post by orm1210 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:51 am

Very disappointing the gophers could not pick this kid up. Very talented, plays the game hard, and overall seems to have a very good head on his shoulders. Hopefully he has a very successful college career and beyond that.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:02 am

orm1210 wrote:Very disappointing the gophers could not pick this kid up. Very talented, plays the game hard, and overall seems to have a very good head on his shoulders. Hopefully he has a very successful college career and beyond that.
Has to be even more disappointing for St. Cloud State!

northern_guy

Post by northern_guy » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:46 am

MNHockeyFan wrote:
orm1210 wrote:Very disappointing the gophers could not pick this kid up. Very talented, plays the game hard, and overall seems to have a very good head on his shoulders. Hopefully he has a very successful college career and beyond that.
Has to be even more disappointing for St. Cloud State!
SCSU's hockey program is doing well this year and has no where to go but up from previous years...use their parents are smart enough to tell them this St. Cloud State has been turned into a pure garbage circus, and I am not talking about on the ice.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:21 pm

northern_guy wrote:What non local people need to understand about Cathedral is that these are kids (95%) who grow up playing youth hockey in St. Cloud and who also attend private school from kindergarten until they reach Cathedral in 7th grade. All students are welcome to receive a premium education but athletes are not recruited. Parents chose this over the horrendous public school conditions in the central minnesota area. Congrats to a great player..wish he was playing for the Gophers so I could watch him on TV..maybe that new hockey conference will figure something out though with TV.
I thought Cathedral drew from quite a few communities in the area? Just curious where he played in youth.....

BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:45 pm

Congrats! Out of curiosity I'd love to see stats on MN D1 players in the last 5 years or so for how many came from an AA or A high school team.

Not that it really matters because a lot of rural kids might well be playing for an A team and a lot of Twin Cities kids would obviously be playing for a AA team. I just think its neat that players from smaller communities that play on smaller teams in A get a chance to keep moving up the ladder and play D1

blindref

Post by blindref » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:48 pm

northern_guy wrote:What non local people need to understand about Cathedral is that these are kids (95%) who grow up playing youth hockey in St. Cloud and who also attend private school from kindergarten until they reach Cathedral in 7th grade. All students are welcome to receive a premium education but athletes are not recruited. Parents chose this over the horrendous public school conditions in the central minnesota area. Congrats to a great player..wish he was playing for the Gophers so I could watch him on TV..maybe that new hockey conference will figure something out though with TV.
Way to crap all over a thread about a great kid who is a really good hockey player. He will do well in whatever he decides to do because he is a very humble kid and a great teammate.

Just to inject a fact or two, twelve of nineteen Cathedral varsity starters went to Cathedral based kindergarten. That is 63%, not 95%.

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:23 pm

Hey guys, here is a somewhat neutral view,

First , Congrats Austin, would have loved to see you in Maroon and Gold!

Know lets play nice and talk about AUSTIN!

sticksave

Post by sticksave » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:30 pm

Good Grief Back to Austin!!!!!!!!!
My son has played both with and against Austin all through youth hockey. I know his parents fairly well. They did a nice job with Austin. He is not only a great hockey player he is a great kid. I'm just glad we don't have to face him any more. (Our schools don't play) Good luck Austin. Congrats to you and your parents.

coach95

Post by coach95 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:21 pm

congrats to austin on his choice of und and for making the u17 team for the u17hockey challenge coming up later this month. here is the link. there are 4 kids from mn on the roster. Austin, Collins, Glover, and Iverson good luck to all of them...

http://www.usantdp.com/news_article/sho ... _id=666974

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:36 pm

Busy day for the sanitation department on this forum. :x

If something as obnoxious and ridiculously off-topic appears in the future, please PM me or one of the admins.

And, as a general piece of advice, trying to get the last word in an argument and then declaring "and now back to hockey" is a pretty safe way to guarantee the thread will not being going back to hockey.

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:33 pm

Sats81 wrote:He is a guy they could have really used unlike a lot of the recruits Lucia has got commitments from in the last year...
I don't think you fully comprehend the dynamics of putting together an entire roster - portions of which will not be filled with 1st and 2nd round draft choices and kids likely to leave after only 1-2 years.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:16 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Sats81 wrote:He is a guy they could have really used unlike a lot of the recruits Lucia has got commitments from in the last year...
I don't think you fully comprehend the dynamics of putting together an entire roster - portions of which will not be filled with 1st and 2nd round draft choices and kids likely to leave after only 1-2 years.

I definitely get it. I understand you can't fill the roster with players who are 1st-2nd round material and I realize you are not gonna land every "blue chip recruit"- nor would you want to, but at the end of the day you can't kid yourself and think Lucia and staff didnt miss out on the likes of players like Poganski because they are "over-committed" for the next 2 yrs and it seemingly appears as though there won't be enough room for a lot of incoming players to get ice time.

starmvp

Post by starmvp » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:28 pm

Powerful player. Been watching this kid for years. Congrats!!

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:19 pm

Sats81 wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:

I definitely get it. I understand you can't fill the roster with players who are 1st-2nd round material and I realize you are not gonna land every "blue chip recruit"- nor would you want to, but at the end of the day you can't kid yourself and think Lucia and staff didnt miss out on the likes of players like Poganski because they are "over-committed" for the next 2 yrs...
I don't have to kid myself to believe they are not over-committed.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:45 pm

Now... back to Hockey or Austin?

O:) :wink:

gac85

Post by gac85 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:03 pm

Congratulations to Austin, he is a great kid, a great player and has great upside. He is a lot of fun to watch play.

It was a great week for UND!

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:58 am

See he was named to the U17 team that will be playing next week. Congrats!