Good hotel or bad?

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

justamom9700

Good hotel or bad?

Post by justamom9700 »

With so many people reading the forums, I thought it would nice to create a thread where the information isn't about who is the best player, rather where is the best/worst place to stay while participating at an out of town tournament. As a hockey community, we need to have each other's backs when it comes to great accomodations or horrible ones. We, as hockey parents, spend enough money on hotels throughout our children's years in such a great sport, it would be nice to share hotel experiences.

Our team recently participated in a well run tournament in Roseau, however, the accomodations at the america's best (now referred to as America's Worst) in Warroad. One could consider it a modern day BATES hotel. It made a Super 8 look like the Ritz. "IF" (and I emphasize "if") housekeeping made your room up, your belongings were gone through and things taken. To travel 6 hours and pay to get ripped off is not something someone would expect. If you are heading to a tournament up that way, definately find different accomodations, even if you have to travel 40 miles from the arena.
nofinish

Post by nofinish »

Too bad you couldn't stay in Roseau. Motels and the whole town are very hospitable. The legion even gives rides home from the bar.

When in the Fargo area stay away from the Howard Johnsons.
Cdale

Post by Cdale »

I've always thought a permanent lodging thread should exist. Kind of give each other tips and thumbs up or down on where to or not to stay when in a town.....realizing that some small towns the lodging is what it is. Duluth for example- some hotels are "hockey friendly" and some (even though they like having the hotel sold out) are hockey Nazi's where practically nothing goes. Seem that some places "get it" (we like to party & have fun but are respectful and pick up after ourselves etc...) and some places not so much.
Hard water fan

Post by Hard water fan »

Interesting topic. Being from Duluth, I'm curious about the Hotels that aren't hockey friendly despite taking your money. With the St. Lukes Icebreaker Tournament (girls), virtually every hotel in town gets booked. I know that many of them are proactive in seeking out hockey groups and welcome the activity. My experiences in booking rooms over the years have found that Hampton Inns are very hockey friendly, provide economical rates and clean rooms. Marriot chains seem to be the same way, albeit a little more pricey...
JoltDelivered

Post by JoltDelivered »

Hard water fan wrote:Interesting topic. Being from Duluth, I'm curious about the Hotels that aren't hockey friendly despite taking your money. With the St. Lukes Icebreaker Tournament (girls), virtually every hotel in town gets booked. I know that many of them are proactive in seeking out hockey groups and welcome the activity. My experiences in booking rooms over the years have found that Hampton Inns are very hockey friendly, provide economical rates and clean rooms. Marriot chains seem to be the same way, albeit a little more pricey...
When in Duluth it's hard to beat the Canal Park Lodge. VERY hockey friendly. I've sat in their party room and even their lobby until wee hours of the morning and never got anything but a smile from the staff. The rooms are nice and it's hard to beat the view of Lake Superior in the morning. Ahem...um...Ok....early afternoon.
"I find tinsel distracting"