St Thomas (14-1-1) @ Hill-Murray (14-2-1) 1-24-13 7:30pm

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Poll ended at Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:47 pm

Cadets
36%
Pioneers
64%

Total votes: 36

UntouchableFlow

Re: Goalies

Post by UntouchableFlow »

Granttenn wrote:Check out the cumulative goalie stats after last night's game.. Zevnik 1.30 GAA with .945 save %.. Dugas 1.33 GAA with a .944 save %.. Since strength of schedule is similar, the deciding factor for Sr. GOY may be that Dugas has 5 shutouts while Zevnik only has 2.. Still, two incredible goalies. Not too often you get to see the state's top two goalies face off 3 times in a season.. In head to head (discounting shootout) Zevnik gave up 7 goals while Dugas let in 6..
I sure hope that Dugas gets the nod for the Frank Brimsek award. However, I think that Zevnik has obviously accomplished more with two state titles. Dugas may have gotten to start coming in as a freshman if Tim Shaughnessy hadn't been the starter before he got there.
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

UntouchableFlow wrote:Dugas may have gotten to start coming in as a freshman if Tim Shaughnessy hadn't been the starter before he got there.
I tried to leave it alone.....but i just couldn't resist.

And your point is??????

If Joe Mauer wasn't drafted by the Twins, then Drew Butera would be the starter....... Who Cares. #-o

BTW, is Timmy even playing hockey any more?
mnpuckster

Post by mnpuckster »

Fairly entertaining game, although I thought it got sloppy for periods of time.

What is with the #28 for HM (SSM transfer)

He may be the laziest player I've ever witnessed. BRUTAL to watch.

ME ME ME ME. Lechner should get rid of him ASAP
pioneers

Post by pioneers »

BodyShots wrote:
UntouchableFlow wrote:Dugas may have gotten to start coming in as a freshman if Tim Shaughnessy hadn't been the starter before he got there.
I tried to leave it alone.....but i just couldn't resist.

And your point is??????

If Joe Mauer wasn't drafted by the Twins, then Drew Butera would be the starter....... Who Cares. #-o

BTW, is Timmy even playing hockey any more?
Tim Shaughnessy (2011), Jamestown (NAHL)
Pioneers 1983, 1991 and 2008 State Champions
Gems

Post by Gems »

mnpuckster wrote:Fairly entertaining game, although I thought it got sloppy for periods of time.

What is with the #28 for HM (SSM transfer)

He may be the laziest player I've ever witnessed. BRUTAL to watch.

ME ME ME ME. Lechner should get rid of him ASAP
...but he is there leading goal scorer
mnpuckster

Post by mnpuckster »

Being the leading scorer...

That has never stopped Lechner before.

The year he kicked the 3 stars off the team. He can do it again. I sat behind Hill's bench last night, and I dont think Lechner is a big fan of his either. Maybe he is a better worker than it showed last night, but it was embarrassing for someone with "talent" to be overly lazy.

He didnt move his feet, unless he was flying the zone early for an outlet pass. Multiple 2 on 1's where he didnt even look at his teammate to hold the defensemen. I cant imagine why he is no longer at SSM....... :roll:

On a positive note, it was extremely nice to see Anderson get his first goal, as well as watching Novak be ALL OVER the ice last night.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

old goalie85 wrote:I heard one or both of the Godbout twins may have played in 8th as well.
We're in the far reaches of the Way Back Machine, but that's not my recollection.
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

mnpuckster wrote:Being the leading scorer...

That has never stopped Lechner before.

The year he kicked the 3 stars off the team.
There was a serious reason why Lechner booted them from the team, and it wasn't because they were lazy or selfish.

8)
The Puck
LGW
inthetwine

Post by inthetwine »

BodyShots wrote:Another brilliant coaching performance by Lechner. What other high school coach in Minnesota could take an 8th grader and insert him into a big game and get excellent play out of his line? The man is a genius and definitely coach of the year. He does more with less talent than any other coach :lol:
"Does more with less talent", That's all he has is talent, you don't play hockey at Hill if your not talented. They are the "East Side Allstars"
slacsap

Post by slacsap »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:
old goalie85 wrote:I heard one or both of the Godbout twins may have played in 8th as well.
We're in the far reaches of the Way Back Machine, but that's not my recollection.
The Godbouts were not twins, Brent was a year older and neither of them played as an eighth grader.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

I guess it was just Jason then. :?:
East Side Pioneer Guy

I sure hope that Dugas gets the nod for the Frank Brimsek award. However, I think that Zevnik has obviously accomplished more with two state titles. Dugas may have gotten to start coming in as a freshman if Tim Shaughnessy hadn't been the starter before he got there.[/quote]

Wait, did you really say that? Two championships at the Class A level are really that big of deal? If I'm understanding you correctly, you may want to wank that back.
UntouchableFlow

Post by UntouchableFlow »

UntouchableFlow wrote:I sure hope that Dugas gets the nod for the Frank Brimsek award. However, I think that Zevnik has obviously accomplished more with two state titles. Dugas may have gotten to start coming in as a freshman if Tim Shaughnessy hadn't been the starter before he got there.
East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:Wait, did you really say that? Two championships at the Class A level are really that big of deal? If I'm understanding you correctly, you may want to wank that back.
On paper, yes he has accomplished more. Personally I think Dugas is a better goalie than Zevnik, but if you strictly are looking at credentials, Zevnik has two rings, regardless of which class they were won. However, the fact that Dugas is the starting goalie, and arguably the most valuable player on the best AA team in the state (with Wayzata's loss), leads me to believe that he has a good shot to win it.
East Side Pioneer Guy

UntouchableFlow wrote:
UntouchableFlow wrote:I sure hope that Dugas gets the nod for the Frank Brimsek award. However, I think that Zevnik has obviously accomplished more with two state titles. Dugas may have gotten to start coming in as a freshman if Tim Shaughnessy hadn't been the starter before he got there.
East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:Wait, did you really say that? Two championships at the Class A level are really that big of deal? If I'm understanding you correctly, you may want to wank that back.
On paper, yes he has accomplished more. Personally I think Dugas is a better goalie than Zevnik, but if you strictly are looking at credentials, Zevnik has two rings, regardless of which class they were won. However, the fact that Dugas is the starting goalie, and arguably the most valuable player on the best AA team in the state (with Wayzata's loss), leads me to believe that he has a good shot to win it.
Speaking strictly about your supposition about the two Class A championships, even on paper, you can't say it doesn't matter what level the championships were won at. You'd never give equal weight to the Schwans Bronze Cup as you do the Gold. There are AA sections that are tougher than the A state tournament.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Should his soph/jr years even matter ?? I thought it was top Sr. goalie.
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:Speaking strictly about your supposition about the two Class A championships, even on paper, you can't say it doesn't matter what level the championships were won at. You'd never give equal weight to the Schwans Bronze Cup as you do the Gold. There are AA sections that are tougher than the A state tournament.
If we are talking strictly about the player, and not the team, or the situation or the similar, why would you take that away from someone? The only reason there would even be discussion of taking away Class A titles is because of the school he plays at. If Stumpf had taken LF to two consecutive titles, was set for making a run at a third, and was top 3 in the state in BOTH save percentage and GAA (Stumpf is actually top 6 in both), there would be no negative discussion about it.
That being said, I am not someone who adheres to the philosophy that titles are what make a good player. The stats and the abilities of the players are what need to be looked at. If you do that, you can see that neither goalie was standout until this year. So, I wouldn't go as far as to diminish the titles, but I also wouldn't use them as my deciding factor.
old goalie85 wrote:Should his soph/jr years even matter ?? I thought it was top Sr. goalie.
Agreed, and that should be the only thing that matters.

If you compare the two statistically, it is really tough to come out with one that is better.
Dugas has had 5 shut outs this year to Zevnik's 2.
Dugas has had 1 game of under 90% save % to Zevnik's 1.
Zevnik has allowed 3 goals to 1 team twice to Dugas' 3 teams.
Zevnik has allowed more than 1 goal to 5 teams to Dugas' 7 teams.
After that it's really splitting hairs; while Zevnik is ahead, Dugas is 0.03 behind in GAA and .001 behind in save %.
Both have played 9 "really good" opponents, Zevnik allowing 15 goals to Dugas' 18.

The only thing that I would statistically pointed out is that Dugas has allowed 4 goals to Mahtomedi, while Zevnik shut them out. But one game doesn't define a season.
If you really look at what the players have done this season, it is hard to come up with one that is hands down better from a statistical perspective alone.

Zevnik: http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/roster_playe ... ason=79765
Dugas: http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/roster_playe ... ason=79765