Class A Rankings 1-20-13

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who should ranked 5th in Class A?

Poll ended at Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:01 pm

Duluth Denfeld
38%
Rochester Lourdes
31%
Other
31%

Total votes: 16

HShockeywatcher

Class A Rankings 1-20-13

Post by HShockeywatcher » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:01 pm

A good past week as well as a good week coming up. Only 4 more weeks before the end of the season, but there are still numerous teams who could end the season as high as #3 if they win the right games.

Enjoy!

1. [1] Saint Thomas Academy (14-1-1)
The Cadets had an amazing week, with an away win over Shattuck and following that up with a very close home win against rival Breck, with Tommy Novak getting the game winner in both games. While they are winning, St Thomas has 6 wins against top teams in the state right now and 5 of those wins have been by 1 goal, two of them in OT. With a goalie in the top 5 in both save percentage and GAA, it will be hard to beat them, but it appears a good defense could prevent them from winning. It will be interesting to see how they do against the Pioneers Thursday in potentially effectively the conference championship game.
This week: Thurs @ Hill-Murray, Sat vs North St Paul

2. [3] Breck (12-3-1)
If the Mustangs defense like they played against St Thomas yesterday, they can stop any team from scoring. They have also shown against everyone other opponent they have played this year in averaging over 5 goals per game that they can score as well. While teams like TRF, AHA, and HF will try, it doesn’t appear the Mustangs will be challenged until at the earliest section finals, but likely the state semifinals. Henry Johnson along with their defense will keep them in any game they play and, while they have 3 players with 25 points, they will be able to score on most as well.
This week: Tues @ St Paul Academy, Thurs @ Blake

3. [4] Totino-Grace (12-2-1)
Despite the come from behind win over Chisago this week, both this past week and this week to come are wins over teams the Eagles are expected to beat. With games against St Thomas, Hermantown, Mahtomedi, Benilde and Lourdes still to come, after this week, Totino has a quality opponent every week.
This week: Thurs @ Irondale, Sat vs St Francis

4. [2] East Grand Forks (13-1-2)
After three straight shut outs, the Green Wave lost a close game to Moorhead. With 9 games remaining before sections, 6 are against teams they have previously beaten, while two are against the defending section champions TRF. The first of two games with TRF is this Tuesday and will tell us who the favorite to win the section really is. It’d be cool to see how they do against some of the other top teams in the state if they make it to the X.
This week: Tues vs #11 Thief River Falls, Thurs @ Grand Forks Red River, Fri vs Bemidji

5. [7] Duluth Denfeld (13-4)
Losing to a team you’ve lost to before isn’t much of a knock, and while Cloquet isn’t ranked, they are having a fine season. The Hunters will be much easier to assess after their road trip this week, but with recent wins over East and Hibbing, it’s tough to put them anywhere else. They are currently the favorite for 7A on paper and Marshall won’t be able to challenge them until next week.
This week: Tues vs Superior, Fri @ #11 Thief River Falls, Sat @ #12 Warroad

6. [14] Rochester Lourdes (10-5)
The Eagles are clearly not a top 2 team, but then again only 2 teams are. Lourdes has gotten throttled by both St Thomas and Breck, but has also not lost to any other MN teams, has a win over Cathedral and just beat Marshall 7-0 at MARS. With their schedule it is quite difficult to assess this team, but both their games this week and the following two weeks games with Tartan and Rogers will be good tests. If they make it to state and beat Totino in their final game, there is a possibility of a 3 seed at state.
This week: Tues vs Monticello, Thurs @ Holy Family Catholic, Sat vs Benilde-St Margaret’s

7. [15] Mankato West (13-3)
A close win is still a win. The Scarlets sit just behind a section opponent they recently lost to by 1 goal. After Lourdes, where Mankato West should be ranked is really anybody’s guess, there are a lot of question marks with them and it doesn’t help that they likely won’t be tested again until the section final game. The Scarlets continue to be a great story; junior Derek Frentz is just outside the Top 10 in the state in both points and goals. This team continues to have a bright future regardless of how section 1A goes this year.
This week: Thurs vs Rochester John Marshall, Sat vs Owatonna

8. [9] St. Cloud Cathedral (12-6)
The Crusaders are tough to place as they have been a very up and down team this season. They are one of two teams to beat Breck, have beaten Hermantown, but also have some losses you wouldn’t expect.
This week: Thurs vs Orono

9. [10] Hermantown (12-4-1)
All four of the Hawks’ losses are by a score of 5-4 and they have only been held to 3 goals twice this season. There are likely few teams they couldn’t score at least 3 on, their only issue continues to be goaltending. With 5 of their last 6 games again Cloquet, Totino, Denfeld, Superior and Hibbing, a ranking as high as top 3 by the end of the season is still within their reach, although nothing will be decided this week.
This week: Tues @ Proctor, Sat @ New Prague

10. [5] Duluth Marshall {8-8}
The Hilltoppers showed they can stay close with teams by losing to both Hermantown and Breck by only 1 goal, but fell apart in their loss to Lourdes. They have quality wins against WI teams, but nothing that screams Top 10. There is opportunity to take another dive this coming weekend.
This week: Fri @ #12 Warroad, Sat @ #11 Thief River Falls

11. [13] Thief River Falls (9-6)
The Prowlers are on a 7 game win streak where they have averaged allowing 1 GA and just beat Warroad by 4 goals, who they earlier lost to in OT. The three games this week could shoot them into the top 5 in Class A and the lead in 8A or keep them sitting right where they’re at.
This week: Tues @ #4 East Grand Forks, Fri vs #5 Duluth Denfeld, Sat vs #10 Duluth Marshall

12. [6] Warroad (13-4-1)
The Warriors added two losses this week and a win by less would’ve been expected. There is a one goal win over Cathedral on their schedule, but nothing else to indicate they should be higher and losing by a lot to a team they had previously beaten isn’t a good sign, but ultimately shows the section is up for grabs. They host two 7A teams currently ranked above them, can they pick up at least one win this weekend?
This week: Tues vs Crookston, Fri vs #10 Duluth Marshall, Sat vs #5 Duluth Denfeld

13. [11] Little Falls (12-3)
The Flyers are a great story and clearly have good defense as they held Hermantown to only 3 goals. This week they have the opportunity to prove their early loss to Princeton was a fluke. After this week they play Tech once as well as Cathedral twice.
This week: Tues @ Alexandria, Thurs vs Princeton, Sat @ Fergus Falls

14. [12] Hibbing (9-10)
Hibbing is clearly not a bad team and they have played quite few good teams this season, which is why their record is what it is. They will still likely be the third seed in 7A and no one would be surprised to see them playing in the section final or possibly at the X.
This week: Idle

15. [8] Mahtomedi (10-7)
Ranking Mahtomedi is tough; they played Breck away to OT in the early season and have played both St Thomas and Hill well, but lost to Hibbing and don’t have any quality wins on their schedule. As is, they will likely be the third seed in 4A and in 4 games will have an opportunity to earn the second seed.
This week: Sat vs Henry Sibley

Notable team

Legacy Christian Academy (13-2-2)
The Lions have already won as many games this year as last. Both of their goalies and their leading scorer are juniors, they have 3 skaters with 25 points or more and 5 of their 9 players with 10 points or more are sophomores or juniors. Will they get a top 4 seed in section 5A this year? Not likely, but they will likely be the #5 seed as they have played most of the lower teams in the section and are 7-0 in section play. Of their 13 wins this season, 7 of them are shut outs. Last year they lost 3-1 to Rogers, who will likely be the #4 seed in the section this year. It’ll be exciting to see if they can make it to the section semifinals this year.
This week: Wed @ Minneapolis, Fri vs WSFLG
Last edited by HShockeywatcher on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

MHGr8ness

Post by MHGr8ness » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:58 pm

Looks good! I would lower Mankato West a bit, though, to maybe 12? Class A is so difficult to rank and these look about as accurate as you can gather.

Side note: What are your current seeds for 5A? Hermantown is down, Legacy is up, Princeton is up, Proctor is down.... Lots of notable skill differences among these teams from what they usually are each year and I'm curious to see where you'd seed them?

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:07 pm

MHGr8ness wrote:Looks good! I would lower Mankato West a bit, though, to maybe 12? Class A is so difficult to rank and these look about as accurate as you can gather.
Yeah, Mankato West is a difficult story. I had them low before as they lost to Lourdes and Lourdes had proven little. They lose to Lourdes by 1 and Lourdes destroys Marshalll...hmmm. I know score comparisons don't work, but Lourdes is literally the only The few comments I've gotten from people on them tell me they're not bad. I'd be curious to hear more comments from people about them who have seen both them and others play.
MHGr8ness wrote:Side note: What are your current seeds for 5A? Hermantown is down, Legacy is up, Princeton is up, Proctor is down.... Lots of notable skill differences among these teams from what they usually are each year and I'm curious to see where you'd seed them?
My personal opinion is that in section games should be all that is considered for section seeding, unless it is absolutely needed. While it doesn't typically end up this way for whatever reason, I think state ranked should be ignored in section seeding.
If the season were to end today, I would rank 5A:
1. Princeton
2. Cathedral
3. Hermantown
4. Legacy Christian
5. Rogers, then the rest

However, my guess is that Cathedral will beat Princeton the second time around and the Tigers will drop to 3rd.

Crimson Live

Post by Crimson Live » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:47 pm

HSHW Warroads win over Cathedral was in regulation

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:45 pm

Top 30 teams

1 St. Thomas Academy (14-1-1)
2 East Grand Forks (13-1-2)
3 Duluth Denfeld (12-5)
4 Breck (12-3-1)
5 Hermantown (12-4-1)
6 Warroad (13-4-1)
7 Totino-Grace (12-2-1)
8 Mankato West (13-3)
9 Rochester Lourdes (11-4)
10 Orono (12-5-1)
11 Little Falls (12-3)
12 Princeton (13-4-1)
13 Luverne (13-2-1)
14 Thief River Falls (9-6)
15 St. Cloud Cathedral (12-6)
16 Hibbing/Chisholm (9-10 )
17 St. Cloud Apollo (10-8)
18 Northfield (10-6)
19 Alexandria (8-8-1)
20 Spring Lake Park (8-9)
21 Duluth Marshall (8-8 )
22 Chisago Lakes Area (12-6-1)
23 Mahtomedi (10-7)
24 New Prague (7-6-2)
25 Providence Academy (8-7)
26 Delano (10-7)
T-27 Park Rapids/Men/Nev/WHA (8-5-2)
T-27 Mound-Westonka (9-9)
29 Chaska (9-5-3)
30 St. Paul Academy

urban iceman

Post by urban iceman » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:49 pm

New Prague has beaten both Mahtomedi and Northfield, if that matters at all.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:51 pm

urban iceman wrote:New Prague has beaten both Mahtomedi and Northfield, if that matters at all.
Its a computer ranking.

pekyman

Post by pekyman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:43 pm

MHGr8ness wrote:Looks good! I would lower Mankato West a bit, though, to maybe 12? Class A is so difficult to rank and these look about as accurate as you can gather.

Side note: What are your current seeds for 5A? Hermantown is down, Legacy is up, Princeton is up, Proctor is down.... Lots of notable skill differences among these teams from what they usually are each year and I'm curious to see where you'd seed them?
I would not be so sure about this... Look at what they did to Bemidji on Saturday compared to everyone else that played them for a clue...
They also played Eagan to a tie and lost to GR in OT...
IMO watcher has them ranked too low but thats fine with me. 8)

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:51 pm

pekyman wrote:

I would not be so sure about this... Look at what they did to Bemidji on Saturday compared to everyone else that played them for a clue...
Not to take anything from Hermantown (I believe they will win their section);
but Bemidji played in the cities the night before and third game of the week.
They came back and played without three more kids while still missing 3 starters.
Not that Bemidji would beat them, but it might be closer under a different situation.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:56 pm

HShockeywatcher wrote:
Yeah, Mankato West is a difficult story. I had them low before as they lost to Lourdes and Lourdes had proven little. They lose to Lourdes by 1 and Lourdes destroys Marshalll...hmmm. I know score comparisons don't work, but Lourdes is literally the only The few comments I've gotten from people on them tell me they're not bad. I'd be curious to hear more comments from people about them who have seen both them and others play.
MHGr8ness wrote:Side note: What are your current seeds for 5A? Hermantown is down, Legacy is up, Princeton is up, Proctor is down.... Lots of notable skill differences among these teams from what they usually are each year and I'm curious to see where you'd seed them?
My personal opinion is that in section games should be all that is considered for section seeding, unless it is absolutely needed. While it doesn't typically end up this way for whatever reason, I think state ranked should be ignored in section seeding.
If the season were to end today, I would rank 5A:
1. Princeton
2. Cathedral
3. Hermantown
4. Legacy Christian
5. Rogers, then the rest

However, my guess is that Cathedral will beat Princeton the second time around and the Tigers will drop to 3rd.
Come play-offs...
Hermantown, Princeton or Cathedral.
In that order, if you are a betting man.
Legacy is not a top (A) 20 team.
Probably not a top 30 team.
Rogers and Legacy in the quarters, should be a good game.
The other 3 waltz to the semis.
Hermantown and Cathedral again...
And Hermantown is the winner.

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:23 pm

elliott70 wrote:
Come play-offs...
Agreed. Quality of team and section ranking are not/should not be the same thing imo.

If Princeton wins the second match up with SCC, I'd be hard pressed for a good reason not to have them be the top seed. Do I think they're better than the 3rd best team? No, but that's why the games are played.

If results of games played don't matter, they should simply not play each other.

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:08 pm

Thoughts on TRF/EGF?

Or any of the other teams out there...

MHGr8ness

Post by MHGr8ness » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:22 pm

HShockeywatcher wrote:
elliott70 wrote:
Come play-offs...
Agreed. Quality of team and section ranking are not/should not be the same thing imo.

If Princeton wins the second match up with SCC, I'd be hard pressed for a good reason not to have them be the top seed. Do I think they're better than the 3rd best team? No, but that's why the games are played.

If results of games played don't matter, they should simply not play each other.
So if Princeton can beat them again... you'd still feel confident saying Cathedral is the second best team in the section?

MHGr8ness

Post by MHGr8ness » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:25 pm

pekyman wrote:

In comparison to the last few years I would say they're down wouldn't you? They're still very good, it's just the last couple years I felt they would walk to the state championship game or at least semifinals. This year I think they could be challenged as early as the section semifinals.

Northern Defender

Section 8A

Post by Northern Defender » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:59 pm

Warroad will go 0-4 next 4 games. Hub has them way too high. TRF & EGF in final. Barnburner.

Prowlerhockey

Post by Prowlerhockey » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:46 am

HShockeywatcher wrote:Thoughts on TRF/EGF?

in my personal opinion, I think TRF deserves to be AT LEAST moved up into the top 10. After 2 huge wins over warroad 5-1 and EGF 6-2, and if they can come out on top to marshal and denfield I would expect them to move into the top 5. We will have to see. TRF has a tough schedule up until playoffs. Good luck to all teams, wish them all the best!

PuckSwami

Post by PuckSwami » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:53 pm

Prowlerhockey wrote:in my personal opinion, I think TRF deserves to be AT LEAST moved up into the top 10. After 2 huge wins over warroad 5-1 and EGF 6-2, and if they can come out on top to marshal and denfield I would expect them to move into the top 5. We will have to see. TRF has a tough schedule up until playoffs. Good luck to all teams, wish them all the best!
TRF already has credit for beating Warroad, that is what got the Prowlers to #11 in this poll. At most, I see TRF moving up one more spot for beating EGF and an additional spot for victories against Marshall and Denfeld. Warroad seems to have stabilized with the Crookston game but could even fall because of the scorefest that became but they also have the same Duluth combination to play the weekend. EGF will show us on Thursday and Friday nights if they have stopped the bleeding or are in free fall.

The thing for me is TRF has an 8 game winning streak going, but up until the last two games that were against Warroad and EGF, they have played and beaten Irondale, Chanhassen, Crookston, Kittson Central, Park Rapids and Crookston again, games TRF should win. Also, the Warroad and EGF wins for on the road, but previous to that, TRF had a 10 game homestand starting with Tartan (6-1 TRF loss), Hermantown (7-1 loss), Bemidji (2-1 win) Warroad (2-1 loss) and International Falls (3-2 loss) then the winning streak started.

Credit where credit is due, TRF beat Warroad and EGF and are hotter than Grandma's stove right now, but the season long body of work does not indicate being much higher than #10

DekeDangler

Post by DekeDangler » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:29 pm

[quote="PuckSwami"][quote="Prowlerhockey"]in my personal opinion, I think TRF deserves to be AT LEAST moved up into the top 10. After 2 huge wins over warroad 5-1 and EGF 6-2, and if they can come out on top to marshal and denfield I would expect them to move into the top 5. We will have to see. TRF has a tough schedule up until playoffs. Good luck to all teams, wish them all the best![/quote]

TRF already has credit for beating Warroad, that is what got the Prowlers to #11 in this poll. At most, I see TRF moving up one more spot for beating EGF and an additional spot for victories against Marshall and Denfeld. Warroad seems to have stabilized with the Crookston game but could even fall because of the scorefest that became but they also have the same Duluth combination to play the weekend. EGF will show us on Thursday and Friday nights if they have stopped the bleeding or are in free fall.

The thing for me is TRF has an 8 game winning streak going, but up until the last two games that were against Warroad and EGF, they have played and beaten Irondale, Chanhassen, Crookston, Kittson Central, Park Rapids and Crookston again, games TRF should win. Also, the Warroad and EGF wins for on the road, but previous to that, TRF had a 10 game homestand starting with Tartan (6-1 TRF loss), Hermantown (7-1 loss), Bemidji (2-1 win) Warroad (2-1 loss) and International Falls (3-2 loss) then the winning streak started.

Credit where credit is due, TRF beat Warroad and EGF and are hotter than Grandma's stove right now, but the season long body of work does not indicate being much higher than #10[/quote]

I agree and that sounds like a very accurate assessment/breakdown. I think #10 seating sounds very possible for TRF. They may end up around #10 but I think that might not do justice to the damage they could do to a higher seated team when it comes down to it. TRF is a dangerous team right now.

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:58 pm

MHGr8ness wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:
elliott70 wrote:
Come play-offs...

So if Princeton can beat them again... you'd still feel confident saying Cathedral is the second best team in the section?
2nd best or ranked 2nd?
If Princeton beats Cathedral the second time around, they would likely end the season 9-0-1 in sectional play having beat one of the top 2 teams in the section twice, they would be my vote for the top seed in the section.
Would I bet anything significant in a best of 9 series between them and either of the teams I think should be 2 and 3 in that scenario? No, but I still think they are deserving of the top seed in that scenario and Cathedral would be 2nd.
Prowlerhockey wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:Thoughts on TRF/EGF?

in my personal opinion, I think TRF deserves to be AT LEAST moved up into the top 10. After 2 huge wins over warroad 5-1 and EGF 6-2, and if they can come out on top to marshal and denfield I would expect them to move into the top 5. We will have to see. TRF has a tough schedule up until playoffs. Good luck to all teams, wish them all the best!
I don't necessarily disagree with the assessments by either of the other two, but I also think I agree mostly with your analysis IF the Prowlers win their remaining two games this week. Rankings should be a representation more of the current team than the season's body of work. Early games play a role and can be a tiebreaker in situations, but overall, what teams have done of late are what matters most.

I think it will be very difficult for them to pull off two back to back wins over Marshall and Denfeld, but if they can manage it, I'd say they are clearly a top 5 team...for now. Maybe even #4.
The only "bad losses" they had in that early stretch were to Hermantown and Tartan. Of the other 4 losses, 3 were by 1 goal, one in OT, and the other by 2. They also have a stretch where they play Breck, Moorhead and Roseau three games in a row.

I agree with what the others have said through now; their most recent wins are more indicative of who they played. Not only is EGF relatively untested this season, but it's a section rivalry game, so it's hard to read much into it as well. Right now, they rise a little, but this weekend is where we will really find out more.

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:16 pm

Well, Mankato West loses to 6-win John Marshall, Princeton shuts out Little Falls and St Thomas avoids a shut out late in the 3rd.

Some big games coming up this weekend, comments from those seeing them play would be appreciated.

Thoughts on Luverne? The only MN team they have lost to they also have beaten 7-0 and recently beat Princeton 7-4, which seems more respectable now that they shut out Little Falls.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:37 pm

JM was missing their top 3 players due to rules violations until last week, that said they still underachieved during that time span but their 6 win total is deceiving, I would expect them to be much more competitive from here on out.

I guess why not Luverne? Princeton was a good win and seeing other A results I'd think we're still stuck with STA, Breck then the rest not distinguishing themselves from each other and we're relying on name, see DuluthMarshall, to rank them.

Section 3A HockeyScout

Post by Section 3A HockeyScout » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:45 pm

Luverne is not deserving of being in your rankings. They have benefited from a very weak schedule. They lack any sort of decent coaching. They have some nice athletes but again lack the coaching to get to the next level.

Also, I see them getting beat by both St Paul Johnson tomorrow and by Morris/Benson on Saturday.

Again they have some really nice individual pieces the Toby Kid (Made 15's National Camp this past summer) Smedsrud kid (Leads all Freshman in scoring with 35 points) Maxwell (Always liked watching him play the blue line) Meyer as a goalie is very solid.

However, if your looking for an honest opinion on them they are not Top 30 material yet let alone Top 20 in Class A.

3A looks like New Ulm for a fourth year in row and the darkhorse is Hutch.

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:03 pm

Section 3A HockeyScout wrote:Luverne is not deserving of being in your rankings. They have benefited from a very weak schedule. They lack any sort of decent coaching. They have some nice athletes but again lack the coaching to get to the next level.

Also, I see them getting beat by both St Paul Johnson tomorrow and by Morris/Benson on Saturday.

However, if your looking for an honest opinion on them they are not Top 30 material yet let alone Top 20 in Class A.
Just looking at their schedule, this seems to be an opinion that has some bias to it. You see them getting beat by a team they have previously beaten 7-0?

In their last 8 games, they have allowed 8 goals, and that includes 4 in one game to Princeton, who they scored 7 on. They have 4 shut outs in that stretch, and an additional 3 earlier in the season.

I have no idea, and if no one else gives an opinion, that leaves me with one opinion to go on, but it seems pretty tough for me to believe a team who has beaten another team who's 3-0 against SCC/LF shouldn't be in the top 30. My two cents...

Section 3A HockeyScout

Post by Section 3A HockeyScout » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:09 pm

Respect your 2 cents...

You wanted an opinion of someone who has seen them play a few times. They are not deserving of a ranking.

Yes they beat Princeton but they also took 7th place in the Schwan Cup OPEN DIVISION.... That should settle the issue

Just trying to help you get some perspective from the SW part of the state most teams are really down in our area this year.

Side Note:
Last year I liked when you would try and predict section seeds... Any chance that feature will get added to the rankings some time soon this year.

Always appreciate your opinion and look forward to your rankings.. (Just trying to help you sort the mess that is SW MN Section 3A) :shock: [/b]

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:55 pm

Section 3A HockeyScout wrote: Also, I see them getting beat by both St Paul Johnson tomorrow and by Morris/Benson on Saturday.
Luverne 3
Johnson 1

I thought you quit the predicting business after last year :D