Holy Family (13-4) @ Benilde (14-5) 1-30-13 7:30pm

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Poll ended at Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:41 am

Benilde-St Margaret's
73%
Holy Family Catholic
27%

Total votes: 22

Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

Hub shows the 7th was an EN goal. If so, was it simply a call that took away last minute hopes for HF to tie it at 6-6? So is HF that good or is BSM still just over ranked - #3 now - really? Giving an opponent 5 goals is a recipe for disaster come playoff time. Defense wins championships and BSM continues to be lacking.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

PuckU126 wrote:
SWPrez wrote:7-5 final BSM.

With about 2:30 left in the game, a HF player was called for kneeing Besse. On FSN, the angle wasn't great, but the way Besse's legs flew, there was definitely knee to knee contact. I will defer to the other posters here as to whether it was accidental, a cheap shot, or somewhere in between. Someone at the game probably had a better angle and insight. Besse was down for a couple of minutes and back out for the 5 minute major where they scored their 7th goal.
Thank you, SWPrez.

8)
I was there had a great angle, by no means was that cheap...Terrible, terrible call on swanson.... 1 goal game with 3 mins left, So damn frustrating..!!!. I think HF would have scored if not for that....not sure what the final shots were but it was a exciting 1st and 3rd period for the Fire.
Wside

Post by Wside »

SuperStar wrote:
PuckU126 wrote:
SWPrez wrote:7-5 final BSM.

With about 2:30 left in the game, a HF player was called for kneeing Besse. On FSN, the angle wasn't great, but the way Besse's legs flew, there was definitely knee to knee contact. I will defer to the other posters here as to whether it was accidental, a cheap shot, or somewhere in between. Someone at the game probably had a better angle and insight. Besse was down for a couple of minutes and back out for the 5 minute major where they scored their 7th goal.
Thank you, SWPrez.

8)
I was there had a great angle, by no means was that cheap...Terrible, terrible call on swanson.... 1 goal game with 3 mins left, So damn frustrating..!!!. I think HF would have scored if not for that....not sure what the final shots were but it was a exciting 1st and 3rd period for the Fire.
Shots:46-23 BSM. With at least 12 ripped over the net. The HF goalie played exceptionally well.
minnscout

Post by minnscout »

Benilde pretty much coasted thru this one, not playing with much emotion. With that being said they could have scored another 5 or 6 goals easy if the HF goalie didn't play awesome. The cheapest play in hockey is sticking out your knee and going knee to knee, that was a dirty play on Besse. Besse did come out for shift after injury but was not skating well and needed help getting off the ice after game. Hopefully nothing serious. At one point HF had 3 goals on only 4 shots. The score was close but the game was tilted heavy with Benilde a much better anf faster team.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

How can people assume the referee blew the call when they are watching from a fixed, distant view of the play on a webcast stream? :roll: Don't you think the ref just might have had a better view from down on the ice and might have called it correctly? From the way Besse went almost straight up and came almost straight down - hard, without the HF defenseman's stick being in Besse's legs - it almost HAD to be kneeing. And if it was knee on knee then the ref was certainly justified in assessing a major. But given the non-HD picture, with no instant replay from a closer view, you can't really say for sure, either way.

That said, it was an ugly defensive performance by Benilde. They have what is probably unmatched firepower up front, but unless they are able to patch things up in a hurry I think there are just too many holes defensively for them to go very far in the post season. And you can't put it all on the defensemen and the goaltending - more often than not they don't get much help from the forwards.

If they continue to play that "West Coast Offense" style in a series of games against some very good teams - all in a row, starting with the section semifinals - it is bound to catch up with them.
Bonehead

Post by Bonehead »

MNHockeyFan wrote:How can people assume the referee blew the call when they are watching from a fixed, distant view of the play on a webcast stream? :roll: Don't you think the ref just might have had a better view from down on the ice and might have called it correctly? From the way Besse went almost straight up and came almost straight down - hard, without the HF defenseman's stick being in Besse's legs - it almost HAD to be kneeing. And if it was knee on knee then the ref was certainly justified in assessing a major. But given the non-HD picture, with no instant replay from a closer view, you can't really say for sure, either way.

That said, it was an ugly defensive performance by Benilde. They have what is probably unmatched firepower up front, but unless they are able to patch things up in a hurry I think there are just too many holes defensively for them to go very far in the post season. And you can't put it all on the defensemen and the goaltending - more often than not they don't get much help from the forwards.

If they continue to play that "West Coast Offense" style in a series of games against some very good teams - all in a row, starting with the section semifinals - it is bound to catch up with them.
Correct. I have to say that Benilde should have and did win this game. Emotions got the best of me. It won't happen again! :wink:
fourthlinegrinder

Besse for an academy award

Post by fourthlinegrinder »

http://www.pointstreak.com/flashapp/ind ... id=2093494

Besse had the scouts turning heads at his hollywood display,

Reality
SWPrez

Re: Besse for an academy award

Post by SWPrez »

fourthlinegrinder wrote:http://www.pointstreak.com/flashapp/ind ... id=2093494

Besse had the scouts turning heads at his hollywood display,

Reality
4th line...I watched virtually every game Besse played the last three years. He would not lay down and fake an injury, ever. Besse plays the game and is very, very tough for a pure goal scorer. You may not like him for his skills, but I doubt any scouts thought he was out there trying to earn an Oscar. Any scout that has watched him for any length of time knows he has an amazing release, has spidey sense, usually gets the best out of any collision, and doesn't waste time acting as goal scorers are very efficient and that would waste energy.
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

minnscout wrote:Benilde pretty much coasted thru this one, not playing with much emotion. With that being said they could have scored another 5 or 6 goals easy if the HF goalie didn't play awesome. The cheapest play in hockey is sticking out your knee and going knee to knee, that was a dirty play on Besse. Besse did come out for shift after injury but was not skating well and needed help getting off the ice after game. Hopefully nothing serious. At one point HF had 3 goals on only 4 shots. The score was close but the game was tilted heavy with Benilde a much better anf faster team.
Was he injured? Or was he hurt.... Big difference.
MNHockeyFan

Re: Besse for an academy award

Post by MNHockeyFan »

SWPrez wrote:4th line...I watched virtually every game Besse played the last three years. He would not lay down and fake an injury, ever. Besse plays the game and is very, very tough for a pure goal scorer. You may not like him for his skills, but I doubt any scouts thought he was out there trying to earn an Oscar. Any scout that has watched him for any length of time knows he has an amazing release, has spidey sense, usually gets the best out of any collision, and doesn't waste time acting as goal scorers are very efficient and that would waste energy.
I haven't watched him nearly as much as you, SWPrez, but I have to agree, and also wonder: If Besse was EVER going to lay down and fake an injury after getting hit, trying to draw a penalty, why in the world would he choose this game? When I saw it live I immediately thought the worst for the kid, that he might have torn an ACL. Then when he tried to get up but couldn't, I thought for sure he suffered a serious knee injury.

But then when I saw him out there on an ensuing power play, I was both relieved and puzzled at the same time, wondering to myself, exactly what happened?

We still can't be sure that he didn't suffer some kind of "lower body injury", or if he just got his bell rung, or if it's something more serious than that (a concussion?), or if it's something very minor that won't keep him out of any upcoming games. So, if and until something definite comes out from those that really know, there's no point in trying to speculate any further.

That said, I think it is a pretty big deal when you're talking about the consensus front-runner for Mr. Hockey, and I'm sure it's a pretty big deal if you're Mike Eaves at Wisconsin, who would naturally have an interest in the health of one of his prized recruits.
nobama

Post by nobama »

confusious front runner
3 minutes of floating rubber pucky style mr hockey i must be honest that is not what central scouting is looking for :roll:
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Benilde did out play HF..But I think HF did prove that they can score and do belong in the TOP 15 and come sections will be giving somebody a headache. If LaCombe plays like he did last night, they will win a game or two.

Not sure on the Besse situation..It was a kind of a freak play. He was down and out, but came back in 30 seconds... Injured? Hurt? Drawing a penalty? maybe a bit of all three.

Since the new rules change I have seen alot of players laying on the ice looking for the call- Its getting a little out of hand. They are giving out 5 min majors like candy this year...But on the flip side, if your a ref and you see a kid getting hit pretty good and he kind of lays there and rolls around, what do you do? The kid must be hurt! I don't know...
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

MNHockeyFan wrote:That said, it was an ugly defensive performance by Benilde. They have what is probably unmatched firepower up front, but unless they are able to patch things up in a hurry I think there are just too many holes defensively for them to go very far in the post season. And you can't put it all on the defensemen and the goaltending - more often than not they don't get much help from the forwards.

This sounds a lot like what was said last year at this time of the season. :idea:
observer

Post by observer »

HF will win a section game or two.
No. One and done.
Metrohockeyfan

Post by Metrohockeyfan »

observer wrote:
No. One and done.

Any other section they have a good chance a playing in a championship game. In 6AA, I agree with observer.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Metrohockeyfan wrote:
observer wrote:
No. One and done.

Any other section they have a good chance a playing in a championship game. In 6AA, I agree with observer.
Maybe so. But at least they moved up to AA and went to the toughest section in the state, beefed up the schedule and are battling hard. Gotta give them kudos for that. What other team in recent history was a average A team 3yrs ago and now in the Top 15 AA. Private school or not, that's a tough road...
Metrohockeyfan

Post by Metrohockeyfan »

SuperStar wrote:
Metrohockeyfan wrote:
observer wrote: No. One and done.

Maybe so. But at least they moved up to AA and went to the toughest section in the state, beefed up the schedule and are battling hard. Gotta give them kudos for that. What other team in recent history was a average A team 3yrs ago and now in the Top 15 AA. Private school or not, that's a tough road...
Agree with you 100% on that! They could for sure pull out an upset if you're son stands on his head SuperStar, I just don't see it happening.
NWMETRO

Post by NWMETRO »

Good question Superstar, another good questions is: How many AA schools have starting goalies that were varsity members of another team last year?
Metrohockeyfan

Post by Metrohockeyfan »

NWMETRO wrote:Good question Superstar, another good questions is: How many AA schools have starting goalies that were varsity members of another team last year?
That is a good point. Can't really blame them though, just trying to get the kid further in his hockey career. If he stayed at EP, he may not have gotten every single big game like he has at HF, as EP has 2 talented goalies as it is.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Metrohockeyfan - It's a tough road man..Indeed, Indeed. But hey, look what happened last yr Armstrong vs EP, so anything is possibly. Just gotta believe! 8)

NWMetro - Not sure on that..That is a good question.
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

Metrohockeyfan wrote:
NWMETRO wrote:Good question Superstar, another good questions is: How many AA schools have starting goalies that were varsity members of another team last year?
That is a good point. Can't really blame them though, just trying to get the kid further in his hockey career. If he stayed at EP, he may not have gotten every single big game like he has at HF, as EP has 2 talented goalies as it is.
There were "politics" involved also.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

WarmUpTheBus wrote:
Metrohockeyfan wrote:
No offense but we might want to stay on topic... We can chat about Derrick's move over a few beers at the Channy legion sometime. I like beer. :lol:
iwatchalotofhockey

Highlights from MnHockeyCenter

Post by iwatchalotofhockey »

Please click below and it will take you to the highlights I clipped last night from the Holy Family vs BSM game.

Lots of Lacombe stuff and this could have easily been a 6+ goal game if he didnt played as well as he did.

http://pointstreak.com/flashapp/index_h ... id=2093494

Sid from MnHockeyCenter.com
newtendy29fan

Post by newtendy29fan »

WarmUpTheBus wrote:
Metrohockeyfan wrote:
Gotta love EP politics...wondering how different EP's season would be, had #29 stayed.
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

http://mshsl.org/mshsl/googlemap_new.as ... &dclass=AA

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the 6AA/2AA/3AA teams. There are many ways they could change these sections up. If they waited to create the sections until after teams had opted up, Prior Lake could end up in 1AA.

If it is really about geography, is there a reason Roseau, Moorhead, Bemidji, Rapids, East, Cloquet, Brainerd and the northern most of the city teams are not in one section?