Minnesota Magicians NAHL

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Will you go see a NAHL game???

Poll ended at Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:34 am

yes
67%
no
33%

Total votes: 43

fourthlinegrinder

Minnesota Magicians NAHL

Post by fourthlinegrinder » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:34 am

The new nahl team in Richfield will be called the Minnesota Magicians former St. Cloud Huskie Scott Meyer and former gopher Ryan Kraft are going to be the coaches. Cant wait to see a game in Richfield hopefully they have a good team and people can get into a legitimate level of hockey, the league had 193 commitments last year.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:15 am

I thought Kraft was a coach at Lakeville North? Wasn't he part of the staff that replaced Schmitz?

almostashappy

Re: Minnesota Magicians NAHL

Post by almostashappy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:09 am

fourthlinegrinder wrote:The new nahl team in Richfield will be called the Minnesota Magicians ....
Sounds like somebody let their eight-year old daughter pick the team name. What's the matter...was "the Minnesota Fluffy Bunnies" already taken?

Tenoverpar

avg

Post by Tenoverpar » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:37 am

The question will be which side of the attendance coin will the "Magicians" be on.....here is the NAHL average attendance by team. The top draws pull in a very nice number of fans and probably are fun to go to with the crowd and play for...... The bottom draw barely outdoes a girls 12U B game in Cloquet and must be a buzzkill to go on the road to visit.

For me the interesting thing will be this team and it's location will guarantee to have a large large local draw at their tryouts of kids that don't make the USHL..I'd imagine they will also draw a few of those high school players who are very good on very bad teams in small school. It will be interesting that's for sure.

Fresno 3,696
Corpus Christi 2,877
Wenatchee 2,732
Odessa 2,508
Johnstown 2,376
Fairbanks 2,192
Amarillo 2,072
Topeka 1,852
Wichita Falls 1,799
Texas 1,736
Austin 1,200
Bismarck 1,183
Aberdeen 1,168
Minot 1,004
Michigan 960
Kenai River 948
Springfield 807
Janesville 768
Brookings 675
Soo 643
Jamestown 618
Port Huron 598
Coulee Region 540
Kalamazoo 373

SuperStar

Post by SuperStar » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:52 am

Hard to believe 4 people out of 8 actually voted NO. (that they wouldn't support the team or go see a game). Unbelievable to me. Esp in the "State of Hockey"

I'll go and check it out.

almostashappy

Re: avg

Post by almostashappy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:47 am

Tenoverpar wrote: For me the interesting thing will be this team and it's location will guarantee to have a large large local draw at their tryouts of kids that don't make the USHL.
Not having to pay a monthly billet would make this team an attractive option for any Twin Cities area parent that could convince their kid to live at home (although I imagine there'd be some resistance from boys looking to get out from under their parent's watchful eyes, the same way that Metro area kids shy away from living at home and commuting to the U's Twin Cities campus). It would also be nice to have short travel distances for folks wanting to see their kid's home games.

I wonder if these things have been factored into the team's business plan beyond the reasonable expectation that Metro parents/families would be locks for season tickets. Are the costs for playing Tier 2 Junior Hockey (i.e. the team covers everything but the billet) set in stone somewhere? Or could the Magicians have a few tricks (and fees) up their sleeves?
Last edited by almostashappy on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:45 am

high school players who are very good on very bad teams in small school. It will be interesting that's for sure
Most of these type of kids would not make an NAHL team. This league is not the MJ. NAHL is a tough league filled with very good hockey players. If you are still on a roster and playing in this league you have what it takes to play the game. Minnesota High school hockey pales in comparison. With the 24 game schedule and "rules changes" to MNHSL, it might be great timing to land some blue chip metro talent even for a year or two. My opinion is great timing! The league should expect potential for better scout exposure in central with this move. It is a win/win for hockey in the state! The Richfield staff will put a nice brand of player on the ice and Zamman will be treated to very good hockey. Those who turn their nose up at it should give it a good review prior to making judgement calls. I hope they draw well but Minnesota a tough market for juniors. I think east side at Aldrich would have been a better location to draw hockey fans but that is a guess only.

almostashappy

Post by almostashappy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:19 am

northwoods oldtimer wrote:I hope they draw well but Minnesota a tough market for juniors. I think east side at Aldrich would have been a better location to draw hockey fans but that is a guess only.
Based on comments of WBL/East Side followers, the new team probably got cheaper ice and a better deal on concession revenue from the folks in Richfield. Even then, I'd think that their more central location would be preferable, especially for drawing fans in the richer SW/western suburbs.

And in the collateral damage department...wonder if this means that Achiever Academy will need to find someplace else to play their home games next year?

DrGaf

Post by DrGaf » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:59 am

almostashappy wrote:
northwoods oldtimer wrote:I hope they draw well but Minnesota a tough market for juniors. I think east side at Aldrich would have been a better location to draw hockey fans but that is a guess only.
Based on comments of WBL/East Side followers, the new team probably got cheaper ice and a better deal on concession revenue from the folks in Richfield. Even then, I'd think that their more central location would be preferable, especially for drawing fans in the richer SW/western suburbs.

And in the collateral damage department...wonder if this means that Achiever Academy will need to find someplace else to play their home games next year?
I'll be there ... let's just hope there's beer.

Love NAHL hockey.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.

HockeyGuy952

Post by HockeyGuy952 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:13 pm

I've heard Mario Bianchi from AHA has signed with them. Staying at the same rink but for a higher level team? Interesting

Zamman

Post by Zamman » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:27 pm

Something tells me I may be a game or two... :D

observer

Post by observer » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:34 pm

Good player. If true, weird decision.

The Magicians will be playing in a tough conference with established teams. I guess I don't know how they will stock the first year's roster but I see them in last place for at least the first couple of years. Why would a player commit to a weak team without at least waiting for the draft or attending tryouts for teams that top the conference and league?

And, if I owned a NAHL team I think Richfield, and frankly Minnesota, would be about my 20th choice for a market where my team will likely succeed.

hondo98

Post by hondo98 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:50 pm

I think this is destined to be a 1 year failure. NAHL teams typically play on Fri and Sat. Who is going to be attending these games when you can go see a top high school match up? Parents in the area will have to think twice about having their kid lying on the couch playing Call of Duty for another year when they should be getting on with their life. The post-HS Talent is too thinned out anyways. Interesting that the number of lower level Jr teams keep expanding yet last time I look there is still the same number of D1 and D3 college teams. Somebody is drinking the Kool-Aid when they signed the dotted line for this to come to Richfield.

Zamman

Post by Zamman » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:00 pm

hondo98 wrote:I think this is destined to be a 1 year failure. NAHL teams typically play on Fri and Sat. Who is going to be attending these games when you can go see a top high school match up? Parents in the area will have to think twice about having their kid lying on the couch playing Call of Duty for another year when they should be getting on with their life. The post-HS Talent is too thinned out anyways. Interesting that the number of lower level Jr teams keep expanding yet last time I look there is still the same number of D1 and D3 college teams. Somebody is drinking the Kool-Aid when they signed the dotted line for this to come to Richfield.
Please remember that Richfield is the host, not the owners. I am sure that they did their background checks on the feasibility of where they will be playing.
I do not know any more details other than the team is going to be at the arena but we must give them a chance. There are not always "good" games on Friday and Saturday nights. Let's wait and see all the details before it is buried...

almostashappy

Post by almostashappy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:40 pm

hondo98 wrote:I think this is destined to be a 1 year failure. NAHL teams typically play on Fri and Sat. Who is going to be attending these games when you can go see a top high school match up? Parents in the area will have to think twice about having their kid lying on the couch playing Call of Duty for another year when they should be getting on with their life. The post-HS Talent is too thinned out anyways. Interesting that the number of lower level Jr teams keep expanding yet last time I look there is still the same number of D1 and D3 college teams. Somebody is drinking the Kool-Aid when they signed the dotted line for this to come to Richfield.
Relatively few games on Friday nights, and if a high school team does play on Friday, it won't play the following day (tournaments excepted). So most Metro fans will always have one night or the other free...unless they're Gopher season ticket holders. And I'm sure that I'm not the only one out there unwilling (or unable) to pay the personal seat license fees, or shell out the "voluntary" $1000/seat donation to the U just to jump to the head of the waiting line for season tickets.

As for parents worrying about having their son layabout playing COD...are you suggesting that the kids would play fewer video games if they billeted out-of-town? I doubt it.

I do agree with your concern about kool-aid and the ever-expanding junior hockey headcounts. It's a ridiculous situation for today's seniors to be told that they have to play at least one year of juniors even if all they want to do is have a shot at playing D3 hockey. But if every other kid is doing it.....

Guess it's the same reason why we're spending all that money on sticks and skates. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

MoreCowBell

Post by MoreCowBell » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:49 pm

The poll should be will they ever make money, I hope they have deep pockets. The USHL Vulcans drew maybe 900 for games, and they did have deep pockets.

observer

Post by observer » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:58 pm

Interesting that the number of lower level Jr teams keep expanding yet last time I look there is still the same number of D1 and D3 college teams.
Bingo. There have been stories about more colleges, D1 and D3, offering hockey in the future. I did read that the number of club teams has doubled in the last few years and noticed that a number of BCHL and junior players end up going to club teams at the end of their junior career. Currently, there's a total imbalance between the number of junior hockey players and positions on college teams. Even if you do land on a D3 team where there are no scholarships, and tuition can be $50,000 per year, the rosters show they carry 30 players, play 25 games per season, so you may not be playing anyways.

The Best in the Bizz3

Post by The Best in the Bizz3 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:03 pm

observer wrote:Good player. If true, weird decision.

The Magicians will be playing in a tough conference with established teams. I guess I don't know how they will stock the first year's roster but I see them in last place for at least the first couple of years. Why would a player commit to a weak team without at least waiting for the draft or attending tryouts for teams that top the conference and league?

And, if I owned a NAHL team I think Richfield, and frankly Minnesota, would be about my 20th choice for a market where my team will likely succeed.
He's in a different boat than most seniors in MN, he needs to recover from his injury and being close to home will be good for him for a year.
The best, period

WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:36 pm

MoreCowBell wrote:The poll should be will they ever make money, I hope they have deep pockets. The USHL Vulcans drew maybe 900 for games, and they did have deep pockets.
Talked to someone familiar with the economics. Thought they could break even if they sell 500 tickets per game. We'll see.

WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:38 pm

Vulcans used to play on Sunday night to get around conflicts. I think this is the plan in this case also.

Edgy

Post by Edgy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:48 pm

It will be interesting to see how this develops. I suspect the team will be better than the bottom of the division based on the talent pool, but you never know. I will certainly go to the games - beats driving to Austin, Coulee, or the Blizzard and I have been to all 3 this year.

fourthlinegrinder

Remaining posotive

Post by fourthlinegrinder » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:04 pm

The NAHL is the highest level of hockey in the state other than d-1 college and the Wild people should come most ppl have never seen an nahl game

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:03 pm

observer wrote:
Interesting that the number of lower level Jr teams keep expanding yet last time I look there is still the same number of D1 and D3 college teams.
Bingo. There have been stories about more colleges, D1 and D3, offering hockey in the future. I did read that the number of club teams has doubled in the last few years and noticed that a number of BCHL and junior players end up going to club teams at the end of their junior career. Currently, there's a total imbalance between the number of junior hockey players and positions on college teams. Even if you do land on a D3 team where there are no scholarships, and tuition can be $50,000 per year, the rosters show they carry 30 players, play 25 games per season, so you may not be playing anyways.
Is the only reason for someone to play junior hockey to land on a college roster someday? What if someone knows they don't have a future (career vise) but simply wants to continue to play a sport they love at the highest possible level they can for the longest time? If they, or they and their parents, can afford it, why not?

If they are working at the same time, as I know some do, there definitely are worse things they could be doing with their time...

The Exiled One

Re: Remaining posotive

Post by The Exiled One » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:34 pm

fourthlinegrinder wrote:The NAHL is the highest level of hockey in the state other than d-1 college and the Wild people should come most ppl have never seen an nahl game
I'd argue that some D3 teams are playing at a higher level too. (St. Olaf, for example)

Edgy

Post by Edgy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:11 pm

Is the only reason for someone to play junior hockey to land on a college roster someday? What if someone knows they don't have a future (career vise) but simply wants to continue to play a sport they love at the highest possible level they can for the longest time? If they, or they and their parents, can afford it, why not?

If they are working at the same time, as I know some do, there definitely are worse things they could be doing with their time...[/quote]

Kids play juniors in an effort to continue to develop - some have college commitments already and play juniors to develop, some trying to get a college commitment.

From a cost perspective, if a player plays in the NAHL or USHL, there is no cost to the player other than billeting - which can run anywhere from $250 - $350 month. In the NAHL or USHL, it is pretty hard to work during the season as they play 60+ games, but a few might.