Minnesota Magicians NAHL

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Will you go see a NAHL game???

Poll ended at Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:34 am

yes
67%
no
33%

Total votes: 43

seek & destroy

Re: Remaining posotive

Post by seek & destroy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:27 pm

The Exiled One wrote:
fourthlinegrinder wrote:The NAHL is the highest level of hockey in the state other than d-1 college and the Wild people should come most ppl have never seen an nahl game
I'd argue that some D3 teams are playing at a higher level too. (St. Olaf, for example)
I'd go one further and argue that ALL D3 teams in Minnesota are playing at a higher level than any of the NAHL teams in Minnesota. Most D3 teams are made up of players that played 2 years of juniors in the USHL & NAHL and didn't make it to D1. Many D3 teams also have players that left D1 teams for other various reasons (coaching issues, playing time etc.) and are now playing D3 - most of those players played USHL hockey a big step above NAHL hockey.

I would agree with you that people should go to see an NAHL game but to say that NAHL hockey is the "highest level of hockey in the state other than d-1 college" is to show your ignorance.

Edgy

Post by Edgy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:33 pm

S & D - how many NAHL games have you been to this year and what teams? Also, how many D3 games have you been to this year and what teams?

Metrohockeyfan

Post by Metrohockeyfan » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:43 pm

The NAHL varies so much by team that it is hard to compare. Some teams are very skilled, and could compete, well others struggle to hold their own in the league.

fourthlinegrinder

nahl players

Post by fourthlinegrinder » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:44 pm

some of the kids that play in the NAHL do not play college hockey, they play Minor Pro. Illya Arkalov is a russian who played with Minnesota Austin Bruins. He just made his debut in the KHL. Berkley Scott played with the chill and now plays pro hockey. Remember Seth Ronsberg he played in the nahl last season and now plays pro hockey. Some of the kids that enb up on these rosters are have experience at the Major Junior level so they dont have eligibility.

clutterbuck22

Post by clutterbuck22 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:51 pm

seek & destroy wrote:
The Exiled One wrote:
fourthlinegrinder wrote:The NAHL is the highest level of hockey in the state other than d-1 college and the Wild people should come most ppl have never seen an nahl game
I'd argue that some D3 teams are playing at a higher level too. (St. Olaf, for example)
I'd go one further and argue that ALL D3 teams in Minnesota are playing at a higher level than any of the NAHL teams in Minnesota. Most D3 teams are made up of players that played 2 years of juniors in the USHL & NAHL and didn't make it to D1. Many D3 teams also have players that left D1 teams for other various reasons (coaching issues, playing time etc.) and are now playing D3 - most of those players played USHL hockey a big step above NAHL hockey.

I would agree with you that people should go to see an NAHL game but to say that NAHL hockey is the "highest level of hockey in the state other than d-1 college" is to show your ignorance.
You do know that the ONLY NAHL team now in Minnesota is Austin and in 1st place in the division. Also they have the 2nd most wins and the least regulation losses in the NAHL.

Edgy

Post by Edgy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:55 pm

CB22 - lol - I was wondering when someone was going to catch that - I think S & D was the one showing his "ignorance" - as he put it

fourthlinegrinder

SEEK AND DEPLOY CMON MAN

Post by fourthlinegrinder » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:56 pm

Kids play in the NAHL because they dont want to go to the miac. They still have dreams of playing D1 hockey, 121 D1 commitments proves it. Look at the MIAC Rosters thier is plenty of Tier 3 talent. THE WORST KIDS IN THE NAHL GO PLAY IN THE MIAC. 3rd and fourth liners in the NAHL are all over the MIAC post points.

I would take the Minnesota NAHL team over any of the MIAC teams. Brandon Wahlin, AJ Reid, Jay Dickman, Riley Colvard, Nate Mondry,CJ Smith,Chris Fisher these kids could have played in the MIAC 2 years ago.

Austin would Make a joke of these teams.

I would take Austin Brookings and Bizmarck over any of them.

You think NAHL kids want to get approached by D3 Scouts????? this isnt the MNJHL OR THE na3hl .

Reality

You think NAHL kids want to talk to d3 scouts?

You think NAHL kids want to talk to d3 scouts?
D3 scouts??

fourthlinegrinder

hey ppl

Post by fourthlinegrinder » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:01 pm

Does anybody honestly agree with Search and Destroy???

honestly

Edgy

Post by Edgy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:06 pm

I am just curious how many NAHL games and D3 games S & D has seen - to try to understand his knowledge of both. The games I have seen in both the NAHL and D3 (and it has been numerous games in both this year) reflects the comment made about a wide range of talent in both - both have good players and good teams, and some have challenges.

fourthlinegrinder

Post by fourthlinegrinder » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:07 pm

The best way to find out is to look at the numbers so lets do that

ok

The NAHL had 121 D-1 Commitments

ok

The NAHL had 72 d-3 Commitments.

Anybody???

I will give you one benefit the average freshman in the MIAC is 20. While most junior teams the kids are much younger than college teams. But if you are 16 or 17 and in the NAHL your cieling is very high, and you are going to play D-1 Hockey probably. I love the MIAC great stuff but I am going with the youngsters.
Last edited by fourthlinegrinder on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Edgy

Post by Edgy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:09 pm

double check the numbers....

imlisteningtothefnsong

Minnesota Magicians

Post by imlisteningtothefnsong » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:14 pm

MoreCowBell wrote:The poll should be will they ever make money, I hope they have deep pockets. The USHL Vulcans drew maybe 900 for games, and they did have deep pockets.
900 HA!!
I played there and we averaged <50. But I will say this, Richfield is right down Cedar, and if I have a chance to go see some young men playing hockey the way I remember it, over a game of lame call, then power-play goals... I will head over to the VFW next door to the Richfield rink, shotgun a couple a beers and watch some scrappy hockey where a high stick means mitt to the chops!!! :wink:

Edgy

Post by Edgy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:14 pm

I am really looking forward to seeing a team in the TC - watch some good hockey, have a beer in a great rink, Junior atmosphere is usually pretty good....

fourthlinegrinder

Post by fourthlinegrinder » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:17 pm

the numbers are good now my bad Edgy, good eye

Edgy

Post by Edgy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:18 pm

:D

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:53 am

I hope they make it, but tough road ahead. When you talk about D1 commintments, is that for just the previous year, or is that kids that at one time played in the NAHL.

roundhead

Post by roundhead » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:58 am

Edgy wrote:Is the only reason for someone to play junior hockey to land on a college roster someday? What if someone knows they don't have a future (career vise) but simply wants to continue to play a sport they love at the highest possible level they can for the longest time? If they, or they and their parents, can afford it, why not?

If they are working at the same time, as I know some do, there definitely are worse things they could be doing with their time...
Kids play juniors in an effort to continue to develop - some have college commitments already and play juniors to develop, some trying to get a college commitment.

From a cost perspective, if a player plays in the NAHL or USHL, there is no cost to the player other than billeting - which can run anywhere from $250 - $350 month. In the NAHL or USHL, it is pretty hard to work during the season as they play 60+ games, but a few might.[/quote]

Either School or Work is a requirement in the USHL. FYI.

Tenoverpar

f

Post by Tenoverpar » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:22 am

I would imagine that Friday nights there are plenty of people who may be available to attend...remember there are thousands in the Metro who aren't going to Gopher/Wild games and have young kids and are looking for a cheap game to go to. This could be a good gig for a family pack if they package it right.

nickel slots

Post by nickel slots » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:55 am

The Exiled One wrote:
There is no way that a team from the NA would beat any team from the MIAC. Almost all of the guys in the MIAC have played in the NA (or higher), plus they are older, stronger, and smarter than they were when they were 18 or 19. 3rd & 4th liners from the NA have a hard time making the game day lineup their freshmen and sophomore years. You can make the argument that there is some D1 talent on some of the NA rosters, but that is negated by the fact that just about every MIAC team has at least one D1 transfer on their roster.

All that aside, I would still recommend that anybody with a love for the game - or aspirations of playing after high school - go check out a game. Heck, go check out a D3 game, too. You might be surprised at the level of play at both levels.
Don't sweat the small stuff.
It's all small stuff.

clutterbuck22

Post by clutterbuck22 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:34 pm

nickel slots wrote:
The Exiled One wrote:
There is no way that a team from the NA would beat any team from the MIAC. Almost all of the guys in the MIAC have played in the NA (or higher), plus they are older, stronger, and smarter than they were when they were 18 or 19. 3rd & 4th liners from the NA have a hard time making the game day lineup their freshmen and sophomore years. You can make the argument that there is some D1 talent on some of the NA rosters, but that is negated by the fact that just about every MIAC team has at least one D1 transfer on their roster.

All that aside, I would still recommend that anybody with a love for the game - or aspirations of playing after high school - go check out a game. Heck, go check out a D3 game, too. You might be surprised at the level of play at both levels.
You're joking right? You're saying that a team like Fairbanks or Texas couldn't beat a team like St. Mary's, Bethel, Gustavus, or even Hamline? The Rochester Ice Hawks of the MNJHL played St. Mary's last year and it was supposed to be the jv team, but St. Mary's sent 14 of the varsity players and started their number one varsity goalie in the game and only beat the Hawks 4-2. They would have lost to the Hawks if the goalie wasn't on his A game. So to say there is "no way" that an NA team could beat a MIAC team must be a joke.

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:44 pm

to my knowledge school or work is NOT required in the USHL

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:13 pm

NAHL = Beer and Hockey Image
Perfect Combination!!

clutterbuck22

Post by clutterbuck22 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:28 pm

keepyourheadup wrote:to my knowledge school or work is NOT required in the USHL
All kids are required to have a part time job or go to school in the USHL. http://www.ushl.com/index.php?item_id=2435

nahc

Post by nahc » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:35 pm

Yes, Ryan Kraft is currently an assistant coach for Lakeville North and was one of the coaches who replaced the long time Lakeville coaches 2 years ago. Had thought Ryan was in for the long haul to turn the program around at North........Can imagine the opportunity to coach at the NAHL level plus the team being so close were enough solid reasons to leave.

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:07 pm

Lets just say the policy is not strictly enforced.