Farmington Goalie

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Bluelightspecial

Post by Bluelightspecial » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:58 pm

WB6162 your second sentence says it all!!!!!!!![/quote]

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:59 pm

In any sport, not just hockey, aren't the best lessons learned in defeat and failure. Winning is the easy part! All of us that played sports know that losing as part of a team or individually is painful, yet its the ability to overcome these disappointments and to move on and continue to pursue are goals that make athletics a valuable experience. How could the message have been missed that badly by this kid. I know he's young but his behavior is exactly what what we hope sports teaches our kids not to do. Understand when I use the terms losing and failure that they can be applied to both his team and the boy himself. In his mind he lost the battle for playing time, unjustly in his opinion, and we've all now seen his choice on how to deal with it. I truly hope that some day Austin understands just how distasteful his antics were.

The Insider

Post by The Insider » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:40 pm

BodyShots wrote:
bestpopcorn wrote:
You have got to be kidding me. Finish what you start. No way would I let one of my kids quit on his team.
Have you ever joined a fitness class, bought an exercise machine, started a diet, took a part time job that you ended up hating?

Parents hold their kids, even their toddlers, to a much higher standard than they do themselves.

I will never forget the morbidly obese woman shouting at her squirt son, "you signed up for it, you are going to finish it." You finish it lady.

Hockey is not important enough to grit your teeth and continue.

That said, what this kid did was REALLY dumb.
Quiting on yourself is entirely different than quiting on a team. :idea:
Well said. Quitting on a team, not himself.

WendyClark

Post by WendyClark » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:03 pm

This selfish dope got what he wanted, everybody talking about him

Anybody who knew about his plan before the game which seems to be a few is on par with him

Cdale

Post by Cdale » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:25 pm

Who did he coordinate this with (someone was already waiting with the door open for him)?

GTTN

Post by GTTN » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:50 pm

hockeydad wrote:Four years from now, when the kid is preparing to graduate from college, he will be sending out applications to prospective employers.
As is the custom, many employers will do a little research on their applicants. Some may even google his name and see what comes up.
Once they see his attitude toward authority and adversity, they will throw his resume in the trash.
Exactly!! Thank you!

yaman

Post by yaman » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:03 pm

Cdale wrote:Who did he coordinate this with (someone was already waiting with the door open for him)?
I hear it was his father greeting him. Hopefully asking him why he spent thousands of dollars for this.

summer

Post by summer » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:17 pm

This kid is going into the Marines? Good luck with that! Our Senators and congresspeople should stop the Marines or any other branch of service from accepting him, imagine if he had a gun instead of a finger.

youwish22

Post by youwish22 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:47 pm

This kid is a joke...I hope he realizes what an idiot he looks like. Grow up and stop acting like a little babay #chump

hondo98

Post by hondo98 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:49 pm

Sooooooooooooooo does it count as a 'shot in goal'??

Hockeypop3388

Post by Hockeypop3388 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:44 pm

Regardless of his justification, this teenager's knuckle-headed lapse of judgement, captured FOREVER on video, is destined to give him random, odd moments of shame and embarrassment for the rest of his life.

Regardless of appearances, I'm guessing he's already begun to deeply regret his poor choice.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:58 pm

thorhockey wrote:My daughter, who only played maybe one shift per game at varsity, was given many opportunities by her parents to quit the team mid season to focus on her classes, or have me talk with the coach. She insisted I never speak with the coach (I didn't), and that she would never give up on her team (she didn't). Invaluable lessons learned - mostly by myself
Good for her.

Good for you.
Be kind. Rewind.

blindref

Post by blindref » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:46 am

I'm curious how he didn't receive a penalty for this.
This should have been a minor and a game misconduct for the bird.

But it was the right thing to do by some quiet but righteous score-keeper somewhere.

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/game/game_sheet/3584135

I'm pretty sure they'll all be laughing about this in years to come, but I doubt whether this goalie will ever play anything again except rec league, as talented as he might have been (???)[/quote]

inthestands

Post by inthestands » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:14 am

thorhockey wrote:My daughter, who only played maybe one shift per game at varsity, was given many opportunities by her parents to quit the team mid season to focus on her classes, or have me talk with the coach. She insisted I never speak with the coach (I didn't), and that she would never give up on her team (she didn't). Invaluable lessons learned - mostly by myself
One of those valuable life lessons that some feel are over rated, and probably never experienced along the way...

MNM JMH

Post by MNM JMH » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:00 am

summer wrote:This kid is going into the Marines? Good luck with that! Our Senators and congresspeople should stop the Marines or any other branch of service from accepting him, imagine if he had a gun instead of a finger.
OK I think this topic has crossed over to the dead side. Really the Marines or any other service should stop him from joining? And I would only hope that "OUR CONGRESSPEOPLE and SENATORS" could not stop him from joing.

If Austin is really inlisted into the Marines I can tell you he would come home with a much improved attiude then the one he is going to leave with.

Remember kids are kids and thats why its call "making a mistake". I hope he will learn from this one.

So save the rest of the crap for the next butthole to pull off this kind of stunt and really rub it into him as well.

SuperStar

Post by SuperStar » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:15 am

Probably could make a beer commercial out of this debacle:

Score on a goal on your own team, flip off the coach, salute your teammates. Australian for go _____ yourself. :wink:

observer

Post by observer » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:18 am

Funny the StarTribune covers this but not the Benilde coach dropping a player story. Which is the bigger story?

MNM JMH

Post by MNM JMH » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:23 am

observer wrote:Funny the StarTribune covers this but not the Benilde coach dropping a player story. Which is the bigger story?
I think the Benilde story...

After all they will be 2013 STATE CHAMPS! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Farmington,,,, Well ???? lucky to retain 1/2 the team for next year by the sounds of it. 8) 8)

WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:35 am

Better Dead Than Red wrote:Wouldn't it have been awesome if Rudy Ruettiger didn't sack the quarterback on the last play of his career, but recovered a fumble or intercepted the ball and ran it the wrong way to score a touch down for Georgia Tech? He really could have shown Dan Devine.
From Time Magazine

Dec. 16, 2011

Daniel “Rudy” Ruettiger, best known as the indomitable underdog who realized his dream of playing football at Notre Dame, was charged with deceiving investors Friday by the Securities and Exchange Commission for his role in a pump-and-dump stock scheme.

The SEC alleged that Ruettiger used his inspiring story and heroic reputation to trick investors into buying stock in his sports-drink company, a scheme that ultimately produced $11 million in ill-gotten gains for Ruettiger and a dozen other defendants. Ruettiger agreed to pay $382,866 to settle the charges without admitting or denying guilt in the case.

I guess the never give up attitude only builds a story not character.

Skatesharpener

Post by Skatesharpener » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:47 am

TheJet wrote:How will it all work from the schools point of view - is there anything they can/would do for his representation? Suspension, etc. - or are they likely to not become involved?

This team has enough to make a scare in the weak section. Go Tigers!
He got a 10 day suspension...probably to save him from getiing the puck beat out of him.

hshckylvr

Post by hshckylvr » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:18 am

MNM JMH wrote:
summer wrote:This kid is going into the Marines? Good luck with that! Our Senators and congresspeople should stop the Marines or any other branch of service from accepting him, imagine if he had a gun instead of a finger.
OK I think this topic has crossed over to the dead side. Really the Marines or any other service should stop him from joining? And I would only hope that "OUR CONGRESSPEOPLE and SENATORS" could not stop him from joing.

If Austin is really inlisted into the Marines I can tell you he would come home with a much improved attiude then the one he is going to leave with.

Remember kids are kids and thats why its call "making a mistake". I hope he will learn from this one.

So save the rest of the crap for the next butthole to pull off this kind of stunt and really rub it into him as well.

:idea: Thank you. That's the point I have been trying to get across. It's a GAME, and a KID made a mistake, thinking he was standing up for the rest of disgruntled teammates. Was it stupid, yes. Poor judgement, yes. Unfortunate that it has snowballed into this highly publicized ordeal, yes. Are his parents poor role models, probably (I don't know them but other posts raise the possibility). Unforgivable EVER, EVER, to the point of ruining the rest of his life, no......I don't think so. : :roll:
Last edited by hshckylvr on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dangler82

Post by Dangler82 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:20 am

[quote="summer"]This kid is going into the Marines? Good luck with that! Our Senators and congresspeople should stop the Marines or any other branch of service from accepting him, imagine if he had a gun instead of a finger.[/quote]

there is a big difference between enlisting in the marines and becoming a marine.

given this young man's reaction to pressure situations, his perception of a high school coach treating him unfairly, i wonder what the mental and physical demands of marine corps recruit training and the crucible (54 consecutive hours of physical and mental challenges) would do to him?

cleary his parents have done a wonderful job preparing him for this challenge. :wink:

thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:23 am

Kid has balls.

May not be the brightest bulb out there, but he has balls.

Bet he regrets doing it one day, but it was pretty funny watching the video.

BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:45 am

This type of thing has probably happened before in games, but since we've got YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, texting, mobile devices, phones with cameras, etc. things get blown up and out to the masses pretty quickly.

I remember watching a high school game as a kid and a player picked up the puck in the middle of the game and threw it at the opposing players bench. They must have been chirping at him.

Lets not destroy this kid too quickly. He didn't:

1) shoot up a nightclub
2) strangle his coach
3) get a DWI and kill one of his friends
4) shoot himself in the leg with a gun
5) drive his car off a cliff
6) murder his girlfriend
7) beat up a cop
8) do drugs
9) hire a hitman to murder his unborn child
10) etc etc etc

Sign of the times and great role models for him to follow. Just sayin...

nahc

Post by nahc » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:17 pm

TOTALLY agree!!! This is a highschool kid who made his exit in a very "grand" fashion, whatever that means to everyone. This young man did nothing illegal, did not physically hurt anyone other than possibly himself, family and school. Might also provide a learning about "taking advantage of kids" by not playing them, providing lip service if that indeed happened, and pressures on kids today. Relax everyone.......a highschool senior.......don't read into this any more than the actual act.....other same aged kids LOVED the action........a LOT of UTube hits prior to pulling the video.......My suggestion: Coaches get to know your players. Talk with them, not AT them........COMMUNICATE with these young men and women. Coaches are NOT Gods.......believe it or not. Parents: support your kids on WHATEVER decisions they make.......at this age....they will thank you later even if the decision was wrong.......THAT is life........