Farmington Goalie

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Better Dead Than Red

Post by Better Dead Than Red »

Farmington has a press release about this on their website although it's kind of what you'd expect in that the school district can't really say much about what action they took-

http://www.rschooltoday.com/se3bin/clie ... button=637
xwildfan

Re: Ridiculous

Post by xwildfan »

Tigerfan9999 wrote:Fire the coach? This kids dad at his daughters U10 hockey game yelled expletives across the ice at the coaching staff and then after the game went up to a coach and threatened and berated him. When he was banned by the board from the rink he continued to come, and had no remorse for his actions even though there were many young children that had to watch this adult act as a two year old. This family has caused Farmington two black eyes and I don't know if the father was part of this but I sure wouldn't doubt it. To all those who are trying to blame the coach, in my opinion there is nothing the coach could have done to justify this, as was said earlier he pissed all over his teammates and is probably enjoying the limelight because obviously he is concerned about no one but him self. Please go away and hopefully Farmington hockey will never have to deal with this family again, as their are many good kids and families in Farmington and this family doesn't seem to be one of them.
If true, these kids have no shot at dealing with problems in life. Seems like their is a direct correlation between meat head parents and meat head kid athletes. Do any parents these days tell a kid that life isn't always fair and you just have to deal with it. Probably better back in the day when many parents couldn't attend try-outs, practices, scrimmages, games, etc. When the parents had a life that was not tied to their kid's sports.
HawkyFan9

Re: s

Post by HawkyFan9 »

[quote="Tenoverpar"]We have a Senior goalie at our school who was in a similiar boat, instead of being a big tool like this farmington kid, he kept going to practices and was still part of the team on and off the ice and in the locker room...after not starting for the last 14 games they gave him the Edina game and he played his butt off and took Edina to OT and even though we lost, the kid will finish the year with some class, dignity and well earned respect of his peers, coaches and classmates.

The bad thing for Farmington is they have a group of really good players coming up the pipeline and for them to be part of this debacle is embarrassing, heck I'm embarrassed for this player, his parents and the whole program.[/quote]

What team?
jeffpv

Re: Ridiculous

Post by jeffpv »

xwildfan wrote:
Tigerfan9999 wrote:Fire the coach? This kids dad at his daughters U10 hockey game yelled expletives across the ice at the coaching staff and then after the game went up to a coach and threatened and berated him. When he was banned by the board from the rink he continued to come, and had no remorse for his actions even though there were many young children that had to watch this adult act as a two year old. This family has caused Farmington two black eyes and I don't know if the father was part of this but I sure wouldn't doubt it. To all those who are trying to blame the coach, in my opinion there is nothing the coach could have done to justify this, as was said earlier he pissed all over his teammates and is probably enjoying the limelight because obviously he is concerned about no one but him self. Please go away and hopefully Farmington hockey will never have to deal with this family again, as their are many good kids and families in Farmington and this family doesn't seem to be one of them.
If true, these kids have no shot at dealing with problems in life. Seems like their is a direct correlation between meat head parents and meat head kid athletes. Do any parents these days tell a kid that life isn't always fair and you just have to deal with it. Probably better back in the day when many parents couldn't attend try-outs, practices, scrimmages, games, etc. When the parents had a life that was not tied to their kid's sports.
Excellent points, well-said. As parents, I think it's most important to think not "What kind of hockey player will my son/daughter become?", but "What kind of man/woman will my child be?"
I also think that parents get way too involved in their the sports their children play. As a parent, I am there to enable my sons to participate in what interests them and to cheer them on in whatever endeavor they choose. I always felt bad for my teammates whose parents took it too far.
D3Referee

Post by D3Referee »

MrBoDangles wrote:
karl(east) wrote:
goldy313 wrote:The Strib is linking their online story on this to this forum :D
:lol: Whoo, publicity. What a week we've had on here, even without all of the end-of-the season hype.

Every time you think you've seen it all...
For some reason I keep seeing Pauly doing some rain dance type prayers last night......
:lol: I was thinking exactly the same thing Bo ...
D3Referee

Post by D3Referee »

Cdale wrote:I'm guessing Maple Grove is loving this story....
Maple Grove/Steffano got reprieve from the Baer/Pauley/BSM story ... now this one benefits those guys .. the circle of life ... :lol:
HockeyDadMN

Farmington goalie

Post by HockeyDadMN »

wanted attention and he got it.
drop the puck

Post by drop the puck »

Some coaches are upfront with Senior players that they made the team, but playing time will be limited. Some walk and play JG or simply move on to do other things. Others hang on - maybe hoping injury or hard work pays off only to find out that the feeling of belonging is all you get. To some that is enough, others not so much.

Other coaches (no just hockey) are not upfront with their players.

Too many kids hang on too long. There is no dishonor in quiting before being cut or even leaving a team mid-season. Many kids want to move on, but parental pressure forces them to endure another year on the bench.

This kid chose to exit poorly, but he is just a kid. In this day kids are caught on video for their stupid acts or even plan out being recorded. Just a few years back it would have just been word of mouth.
JohnnyBuck

Post by JohnnyBuck »

I heard the Wild were looking at picking him up? They are looking for a few new goals scorers. :lol:
green4

Post by green4 »

It seems more people are on the side of the coach and thinking more that the kid is classless but im curious to see what people would think if this would have happened at Edina or BSM where not as many people are fond of Giles and Pauly
bestpopcorn

Post by bestpopcorn »

There have been a few times in my life when I have been really upset and did or said just what I wanted to at the time. Personal and business.

I regret each of those events.
Sartellcelly

goalie

Post by Sartellcelly »

Here is the very latest, with comments from the family of the kid who put up the video in the first place and reaction from the school district:

http://www.startribune.com/local/191081391.html
Better Dead Than Red

green4 wrote:It seems more people are on the side of the coach and thinking more that the kid is classless but im curious to see what people would think if this would have happened at Edina or BSM where not as many people are fond of Giles and Pauly
I think if you go on facebook and call the kid who is better than you - at least statistically speaking - "terrible" and then pull this stunt, it doesn't really matter where you were from or who the coaches are. The other goalie is apparently out with an injury and he could have proven the coaches made the wrong decision by hitting the ice and playing as good as he thinks he is in his own mind. Instead, he revealed something about the level of his character more than his playing ability.
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

drop the puck wrote:Some coaches are upfront with Senior players that they made the team, but playing time will be limited. Some walk and play JG or simply move on to do other things. Others hang on - maybe hoping injury or hard work pays off only to find out that the feeling of belonging is all you get. To some that is enough, others not so much.

Other coaches (no just hockey) are not upfront with their players.

Too many kids hang on too long. There is no dishonor in quiting before being cut or even leaving a team mid-season. Many kids want to move on, but parental pressure forces them to endure another year on the bench.

This kid chose to exit poorly, but he is just a kid. In this day kids are caught on video for their stupid acts or even plan out being recorded. Just a few years back it would have just been word of mouth.
You have got to be kidding me. #-o Finish what you start. No way would I let one of my kids quit on his team.
MNmomof3

Look at the coaching

Post by MNmomof3 »

Reading the newpaper and this forum's comments it seems to me that people are NOT supporting the coaching staff. While none of us know the details the situation reflects a kid who was so emotionally fed up with his hockey experience he decided to take control for a change. I do not endorse the player's behavior and I'm sure he regrets it now. However, something needs to happen so that coaches understand that the game - even at the competitive varsity level - should be all about the kids - period. When players are not treated fairly, the coach plays favorites irregrardless of talent, doesn't even give some kids a chance, is a tyrant over the team and parents - watch out. I think the hockey communities of Elk River, Roseville and the Moundsview girls HS program are relieved their bad coaches are history. Hockey is a TEAM sport and coaches who work to develop their whole team and are respectful of the kids are the ones who are successful in their jobs no matter what the scoreboard shows. Good coaches find a way to make every player feel they are an important part of the team no matter what their playing time is. That takes social and communication skills - something sorely lacking in some hockey coaches.
Better Dead Than Red

Wouldn't it have been awesome if Rudy Ruettiger didn't sack the quarterback on the last play of his career, but recovered a fumble or intercepted the ball and ran it the wrong way to score a touch down for Georgia Tech? He really could have shown Dan Devine.
bestpopcorn

Post by bestpopcorn »

You have got to be kidding me. Finish what you start. No way would I let one of my kids quit on his team.
Have you ever joined a fitness class, bought an exercise machine, started a diet, took a part time job that you ended up hating?

Parents hold their kids, even their toddlers, to a much higher standard than they do themselves.

I will never forget the morbidly obese woman shouting at her squirt son, "you signed up for it, you are going to finish it." You finish it lady.

Hockey is not important enough to grit your teeth and continue.

That said, what this kid did was REALLY dumb.
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

bestpopcorn wrote:
You have got to be kidding me. Finish what you start. No way would I let one of my kids quit on his team.
Have you ever joined a fitness class, bought an exercise machine, started a diet, took a part time job that you ended up hating?

Parents hold their kids, even their toddlers, to a much higher standard than they do themselves.

I will never forget the morbidly obese woman shouting at her squirt son, "you signed up for it, you are going to finish it." You finish it lady.

Hockey is not important enough to grit your teeth and continue.

That said, what this kid did was REALLY dumb.
Quiting on yourself is entirely different than quiting on a team. :idea:
inthestands

Post by inthestands »

The cost and time parents put into their childs hockey "career" has some bearing on what you see here.

The dollars and hours somehow have some parents thinking their family should be getting more out of hockey, than the sport can give. It's not right, but happens all the time.

By the way, I believe she did finish it.. Every last bite.
thorhockey

Post by thorhockey »

My daughter, who only played maybe one shift per game at varsity, was given many opportunities by her parents to quit the team mid season to focus on her classes, or have me talk with the coach. She insisted I never speak with the coach (I didn't), and that she would never give up on her team (she didn't). Invaluable lessons learned - mostly by myself
LASERBLUE135

Post by LASERBLUE135 »

I'll make this as short and sweet as possible. What this kid did was awful. I'm sure he will see that some day. There was a post about seniors getting ice time at the state tournament about a year ago. I stated that if a senior was on the roster and his team was playing at state that it would be criminal if he didn't, at least, get a short shift on the ice. That was a minority opinion... MOST posters agreed that it was the coaches decision and if they couldn't get the senior on the ice, then those are the breaks.

This kid played about half the SEASON! And his statistics tell the story that he was not exceptionally better than the other goalie. And he acted like a bratty 5 year old. Anyone who believes he "stood up for..." is just not seeing things clearly. This kid didn't stand up for anything. It was pure embarrassnent. Pure childish behavior. Plenty of people will forget, but plenty WILL remember. I hope this kid grows up soon. He is a senior.
WB6162

Post by WB6162 »

I wonder what his old man's username is on this forum :twisted:

The kid is a loser, probably comes from a family of losers with loser mentalities.

This will be his last memory of being a HS hockey player. So many kids worked so much harder than him and never got a chance to play varsity hockey.

What an ungrateful little POS.
EHSHack

Post by EHSHack »

On the bright side he didnt do this while playing for a high profile D1 school most kids only dream about...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCgqLXc8ZUQ
Last edited by EHSHack on Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Hounds.
SEpuck

Post by SEpuck »

WB6162 wrote:I wonder what his old man's username is on this forum :twisted:

The kid is a loser, probably comes from a family of losers with loser mentalities.

This will be his last memory of being a HS hockey player. So many kids worked so much harder than him and never got a chance to play varsity hockey.

What an ungrateful little POS.
This =D>
GolfGuy7900

Post by GolfGuy7900 »

inthestands wrote:

By the way, I believe she did finish it.. Every last bite.

=D>