7AA Quarterfinals

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Which top seed is most likely to lose?

Cloquet
39%
Elk River
37%
Grand Rapids
12%
Duluth East ;-)
12%

Total votes: 41

karl(east)

7AA Quarterfinals

Post by karl(east) »

This is probably the most intriguing set of quarterfinals out there.

#5 Forest Lake at #4 Cloquet
-A good match-up on many levels: north vs. metro, front-end talent vs. a deeper team with no obvious stars. Cloquet cruised to a 7-1 win back in December, but they haven't been playing all that well lately, while Forest Lake had a relatively strong second half. The Jacks will almost certainly outshoot the Rangers, so the visitors will need some quality goaltending, and have do what they can to disrupt the CEC breakouts. The winner gets a crack at Duluth East, which might motivate both of them; obviously Cloquet will want to take down their archrivals, and the Rangers are likely sick of the Hounds coming out of this section, too.

#6 Andover at #3 Elk River
-The two NWSC rivals meet for the third time this season. The Elks won both regular season match-ups, but they were very different games; they cruised to a fairly easy 4-1 win in the first meeting, but the second game went to OT and shots were more or less even. The Elks have a few more horses, but the Huskies also have some depth, and they are also the more experienced team, having been to a section final last season. Most importantly, Andover has Chase Perry, and they've been playing reasonably well down the stretch. Elk River, on the other hand, has had some rough games against top teams, though they have taken care of all of their weaker opponents.

#7 St. Francis at #2 Grand Rapids
-It's not often that a 7-seed has beaten a 2-seed in the regular season, and that fact alone, despite the talent mismatch, makes this one interesting. For St. Francis, the task is straightforward, if not very easy: play sharp defense, get another 50ish saves out of goaltender Darion Hanson, and finish on the chances they do get. Rapids obviously has the superior talent here, and just needs to play smart and not get frustrated if St. Francis shows signs of hanging around again. Both teams have been playing pretty well of late.

#8 STMA at #1 Duluth East
-Uhh...yeah. (Though to be fair to STMA, their 6-1 regular season loss to East was closer than most 8-v.-1 games East has played over the years. But still.)

All games start at 7:00 on Tuesday. Who ya got?
Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 »

Flake
Andover
STF :lol:
DE
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Cloquet
Elk River
Rapids
East
The only game I see as close is the ER/Andover game. ER was up 5-1 going into the third in the 2nd game and won 6-5 in overtime. ER goalie has posted 2 straight shutouts and if he is on they should win. Perry has not lived up to the preseason hype but is beleived to be still capable.
Cloquet will handled FL, they are battle tested. FL's conference overall is not that strong. Other 2 games are easy win for the favorites.
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

Top 4 seeds all advance. This section drops off significantly after the top 2. So it will be down to GR vs DE. I'm hoping for a change, and will root for GR to advance to state (in spite of DJ). :lol:
MHGr8ness

Post by MHGr8ness »

I'll agree these are the most interesting quarterfinals around, but I still am taking all the top seeds to advance. If someone gets knocked off i'm thinking it'll be the Elks.
Metrohockeyfan

Post by Metrohockeyfan »

I'm going to take Andover over the Elks, as I believe they are just the better team despite their two head-to-head losses.
Bronc

Post by Bronc »

BodyShots wrote:Top 4 seeds all advance. This section drops off significantly after the top 2. So it will be down to GR vs DE. I'm hoping for a change, and will root for GR to advance to state (in spite of DJ). :lol:
Andover beats Cloquet in Cloquet very close to the end of the season and gets seeded two below.

I take Forest Lake to beat Cloquet and then a rematch to DE.
Bigcat99

Post by Bigcat99 »

2 out of the first 16 votes go to East being most likely to be knocked out in quarters? :?
It is what it is!
sticksave

Post by sticksave »

How could you think Andover is the better team? The Elks beat them twice and Andover's record is worse. The Elks melted down in their last meeting but that was mainly due to the fact that they were so badly beating Andover that the Elks lost their concentration. Its hard to beat any one 3 times but the Elks should prevail.
allstatebenders

Post by allstatebenders »

I think St Francis beats GR again, Flake beats the distracted Cloquet team, and Andover upsets ER and I think the DE-STMA game will be a lot close than people think.
Bigcat99

Post by Bigcat99 »

allstatebenders wrote:I think St Francis beats GR again, Flake beats the distracted Cloquet team, and Andover upsets ER and I think the DE-STMA game will be a lot close than people think.
Ill go along with one of those four picks :lol:
It is what it is!
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Tonight at Cloquet !!! Hard to believe it's already here. Rangers by 2.
Hermmunster58

Post by Hermmunster58 »

I see only 2 potential upsets tonight: FL over Cloquet - I feel for the Cloquet seniors who have had to deal with a parent(s) issue leading up to what my be their last game. Andover over ER - Andover (goalie) appears to be playing better as of late and ER may be looking past this game.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Rapids/East/Andover/FL.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

East 8-0 over STMA
Rapids 5-2 over STF
Elk River 4-3 over Andover in 2OT
Cloquet over FL 3-2 in OT
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Two out if four ain't bad D.J.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

The CEC/FL and ER/Andover games are really tough to pick. I know GR/STF is perceived by some to be close, but I think GR is playing much better and their goalie didn't seem to be playing that great down the stretch. I think maybe ppl read too much into the distraction at CEC and I know most feel Andover is a likely upset, but I think the Elks put together enough at home to beat em a 3rd time. Gonna be interesting. I can't wait to listen to the GR game while I watch CEC/FL online.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Time to go watch some playoff hockey. I'll be at the East game, but I look forward to some good reports on here of the other three! Good luck to all eight teams...
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

CEC 2 FL0 after 1.
PASTRAPIDSFAN

Post by PASTRAPIDSFAN »

GR 2-1 AFTER ONE
Duluth 4

Post by Duluth 4 »

East is up 5-0 late in the first
Release the Hounds. Trek to the X.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

CEC 4 FL2 after two. Could be last period of the year for the Ranger boys.
PASTRAPIDSFAN

Post by PASTRAPIDSFAN »

GR 2-2 ST FRAN after 2
Duluth 4

Post by Duluth 4 »

East up 11-0 late in the second.
Release the Hounds. Trek to the X.
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

Duluth 4 wrote:East up 11-0 late in the second.
Just out of curiosity sog?