Section Realignment Class A

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

HawkyFan9

Section Realignment Class A

Post by HawkyFan9 »

What happens to sections in central MN? 6A is lacking a good competitive team while section 5A has two teams that could compete with the best in the tourney and 3 (possibly 4) teams that could win 6A. So does either SCC or Hermantown move to section 6A or do you keep those sections relatively the same
MHGr8ness

Re: Section Realignment Class A

Post by MHGr8ness »

HawkyFan9 wrote:What happens to sections in central MN? 6A is lacking a good competitive team while section 5A has two teams that could compete with the best in the tourney and 3 (possibly 4) teams that could win 6A. So does either SCC or Hermantown move to section 6A or do you keep those sections relatively the same
Get a map. Hermantown won't be in 6A. :roll:
Last edited by MHGr8ness on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shins

Post by shins »

That is what happens when you have regional sections..... different locations have different strengths. It is the same in every sport, NE Minnesota is very strong in hockey and people often point to how weaker sections need to "fixed", but in football and baseball they often send teams to state that would finish 3rd or 4th in other sections.

It is what it is
HawkyFan9

Post by HawkyFan9 »

@MHGr8ness Why? Cathedral and and the rest of the southern teams in that section are just as close to Hermantown as Apollo or Little Falls. So why in the world is Hermantown in that section?
MHGr8ness

Post by MHGr8ness »

HawkyFan9 wrote:@MHGr8ness Why? Cathedral and and the rest of the southern teams in that section are just as close to Hermantown as Apollo or Little Falls. So why in the world is Hermantown in that section?
If Hermantown leaves, it'll be to 7A. Look at a map of where the schools are located and it'll make sense why Hermantown won't be in 6A.
dherman8

Post by dherman8 »

In my opinion not much of an argument here. MHGr8ness pretty much covers it. Sections are aligned on geography not competitiveness. In both A and AA a little of the geography doesn't totally add up but each section needs so many teams. Proximity wise every team is pretty close to at least a few other schools in their section if not all of them.

Just can't look at this with your state tournament competitiveness goggles on.
DKS1962

Post by DKS1962 »

if you want competitive sections and not geographical sections put 2 or 3 private schools in each of the 8 sections.

Private school class A tournament. Small town class A communities can't compete with the private all star teams.
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

DKS1962 wrote:if you want competitive sections and not geographical sections put 2 or 3 private schools in each of the 8 sections.

Private school class A tournament. Small town class A communities can't compete with the private all star teams.
You're lost.

http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 543ee42b2b
defense

Post by defense »

SCC did win the first section 4a...( now 6a)... suppose when FF wimped out of AA they moved em. But no, 6 a don't need help, 3 a does.
hockeydad

Post by hockeydad »

If I were to put money on it, I would bet the Mankato schools get moved to 3A, especially if New Ulm gets bumped up to Class AA.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

With Century opting up, less 1A schools move to 3A , my guess is either West alone or West and East, the third school will be either New Prague or Willmar.
Ready2GoYet

Post by Ready2GoYet »

I think moving Mankato (specifically West) into 3A would definitely raise the caliber of the team coming out of that section, and they make sense geographically (which should be the basis). I think the top 4 teams in 1A (Lourdes (who I have contended should not be allowed to play A as a private with enrollment from all of Rochester, population >100k), West, New Prague, and Northfield could have all had a shot in 3A to go to state. If both West and New Prague get moved to 3A, I'm guessing the Lourdes folks can make their St. Paul reservations early, because while "anything can happen in the playoffs" I don't see it happening anytime soon. Northfield and Albert Lea might give them a game, but that's about it in the foreseeable future.