Warroad not going to State 2013-14??

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

sullyboy15

Warroad not going to State 2013-14??

Post by sullyboy15 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:51 am

Apparently Warroad may not make it to the State Tournament next season, unless they can defeat the Park Rapids Panthers, according to coach Gary Vaudrin.
Taken from the Park Rapids Enterprise:

“We’re going to miss our seniors. They provided a lot of experience and leadership,” said Vaudrin. “We’re going to be competitive again next year. We’ll have 10 seniors and a lot of youth who played a lot of varsity. Next year looks bright. I expect us to improve our record and get a home playoff game.”

In addition to breaking the school record for wins in a season, Vaudrin is looking for the Panthers to contend for the school’s first berth in the state tournament.

“We have to get better in the off season. If we want to be able to compete at the next level, we need to get faster and stronger and control the puck better. We need to play more as a team and create more scoring,” said Vaudrin. “Our section is going to be tough again, but our goal is to finish in the top four and host a section game. We want to get past that first playoff game and get to state. It all depends on the will and the want of everyone. If we want to get to the next level, we need more commitment from everyone.”

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:18 pm

Gotta love the coach's optimism and his frank assessment of his team's needs:
  • -- Get faster
    -- Get stronger
    -- Control the puck better
    -- Play more as a team
    -- Create more scoring
    -- More commitment from everyone
Sounds like every team's wish list to me! ;)

hometown warrior

Post by hometown warrior » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:51 am

If a player moves to Canada to play club hockey and happens to return right before the high school season, is that player eligible? I wish the games here would quit. :oops:

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:56 am

pffft. Smoke and mirrors. They'll do what they always do, boys and girls.

Import via the "Marvin Scholarship Program."

State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:54 pm

Even if it isn't Warroad. EGF and TRF are both very good again this year.

Hard water fan

Post by Hard water fan » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:08 pm

Don't discount the Proctor/Hermantown Mirage- very talented upperclassmen. Reilly Fawcett has committed to Bemidji and is one of the top seniors in the state- possible candidate for Ms. Hockey. Senior Goaltender Hommerding is one of the best. Throw in a couple solid lines, experience and a strong youth movement and you have the makings for a good season and for years to come. Thief is very solid all the way through- some really good forwards and goaltending too- I'd pick them over Warroad at this point. Mirage versus Thief the day after Thanksgiving in cat country. Should be a good game.

Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Hard water fan wrote:Don't discount the Proctor/Hermantown Mirage- very talented upperclassmen. Reilly Fawcett has committed to Bemidji and is one of the top seniors in the state- possible candidate for Ms. Hockey. Senior Goaltender Hommerding is one of the best. Throw in a couple solid lines, experience and a strong youth movement and you have the makings for a good season and for years to come. Thief is very solid all the way through- some really good forwards and goaltending too- I'd pick them over Warroad at this point. Mirage versus Thief the day after Thanksgiving in cat country. Should be a good game.
not sure on the couple solid line comment...for sure 1 solid line with Fawcett. BUT playing "A" maybe thats all they will need to get out of the section and to the tourney....finally??

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:08 pm

Hard water fan wrote:Don't discount the Proctor/Hermantown Mirage...
Question for you folks in the Duluth area: With the Marshall program having folded are there any girls who still attend the school but play hockey somewhere else? Or was it necessary for them to switch schools in order to to continue playing hockey? Just curious because I recall at one time Marshall was combined with Proctor and Hermantown in a three-school co-op. And on the boys side Marshall remains a strong, traditional Class A program all on its own.

Hard water fan

Post by Hard water fan » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:41 pm

Fan- most of the girls went their separate ways. The Mirage picked up a couple of their top players, East picked up two players (1 on JV?) , SPA picked up arguably their top forward, Blake picked up one of their top D, A couple went home to Wisconsin, and a couple stayed at Marshall. Evidently they are re-constituting the program for next year, probably as a MSHSL team. Different coaches have been bantered about, but rumor has it that it's a female former player with local ties. They would be in A, as without the co-op numbers they'll be below the threshold.

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:01 pm

Marshall girls hockey skating one day for one hour a week now.
Last edited by Nevertoomuchhockey on Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:29 pm

Thanks for the information, Hard water fan and Nevertoomuch, and good luck to all the former Marshall girls!

Now, back to your regularly scheduled Warroad program. :wink:

State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:59 am

Rocketwrister wrote:
Hard water fan wrote:Don't discount the Proctor/Hermantown Mirage
BUT playing "A" maybe thats all they will need to get out of the section and to the tourney....finally??
Proctor/Hermantown is not a factor as to who comes out of section 8A. They are section 7A.

TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:30 pm

State Champ 97 wrote:
Rocketwrister wrote:
Hard water fan wrote:Don't discount the Proctor/Hermantown Mirage
BUT playing "A" maybe thats all they will need to get out of the section and to the tourney....finally??
Proctor/Hermantown is not a factor as to who comes out of section 8A. They are section 7A.
Maybe HWF really meant they are a mirage....in 8A.
What is a Green Wave anyway?

State Champ 97

Re: Warroad not going to State 2013-14??

Post by State Champ 97 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:48 pm

sullyboy15 wrote:Apparently Warroad may not make it to the State Tournament next season, unless they can defeat the Park Rapids Panthers,
I guess we'll find out how Park Rapids stacks up to Warroad tonight.
Park Rapids @ Warroad 7:00

AAA Dad

Post by AAA Dad » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:51 am

State Champ 97 wrote:
sullyboy15 wrote:Apparently Warroad may not make it to the State Tournament next season, unless they can defeat the Park Rapids Panthers,
What is next on the Warroad "to do list" after defeating Park Rapids to get back to State cause it looks like that one got checked off decisively last night...

State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:54 am

AAA Dad wrote:
State Champ 97 wrote:
What is next on the Warroad "to do list" after defeating Park Rapids to get back to State cause it looks like that one got checked off decisively last night...
7-0 win for the Warriors is about what I expected. Park Rapids has been blowing their own horn for years in both boy's and girl's sides. They get a couple of wins and think they are contenders.

I have seen EGF, will see TRF and Warroad very soon. I predict a battle between those three for the 8A title.

TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:39 am

State Champ 97 wrote:
AAA Dad wrote:
State Champ 97 wrote:
7-0 win for the Warriors is about what I expected. Park Rapids has been blowing their own horn for years in both boy's and girl's sides. They get a couple of wins and think they are contenders.

I have seen EGF, will see TRF and Warroad very soon. I predict a battle between those three for the 8A title.

Hmmmmmmmm EGF, TRF, Warroad...........
Are you talking boys hockey or girls hockey?
Seems to be a trend here..... :mrgreen:
What is a Green Wave anyway?

State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:34 am

TTpuckster wrote:
State Champ 97 wrote:
AAA Dad wrote:
State Champ 97 wrote:

Hmmmmmmmm EGF, TRF, Warroad...........
Are you talking boys hockey or girls hockey?
Seems to be a trend here..... :mrgreen: Yes there is and it will continue.

hometown warrior

Post by hometown warrior » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:34 pm

As much as I would like to see success for our high school girls, it is very satisfying having a coach be in a position he hasn't been in. At least our local girls are getting more opportunity to play than they have in a long time.

hometown warrior

Post by hometown warrior » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:11 pm

In Hockeytown USA, a 3-5-1 record should be a sign for a coaching change soon. Still ranked #5. Must be buying votes. Wins against Crookston (1-5-1), Park Rapids (4-4) and Breck (4-8-1). Getting harder to recruit.

State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:59 am

Warroad lost to TRF (by 2 as I predicted)
People in Warroad are not happy about what they see this season.
Izzy better figure out something quick.
I will be in Warroad to see the rematch with Bemidji on Saturday at 3:00
It is on radio and streamed (I think) Coyote 102.5 sister station 820 am)

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:01 pm

State Champ 97 wrote:Warroad lost to TRF (by 2 as I predicted)
People in Warroad are not happy about what they see this season.
Izzy better figure out something quick.
I will be in Warroad to see the rematch with Bemidji on Saturday at 3:00
It is on radio and streamed (I think) Coyote 102.5 sister station 820 am)
That's what happens, when they finally use local kids, instead of imports :wink:

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:35 pm

You don't think anyone moved to Warroad?

puckbreath

Post by puckbreath » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:39 pm

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:You don't think anyone moved to Warroad?
Plenty moved there.

Via the Marvin Scholarship Program :lol:

hometown warrior

Post by hometown warrior » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:30 am

Any chance of a coaching change? Congrats to the girls on a hard fought game last night.