1999 Miracle Gold Renamed to Miracle GOONS

Discussion of AAA Hockey

Moderator: Mitch Hawker

1999 Miracle Gold Renamed to Miracle GOONS

Post by 612 »

99 Team Exceed v. 99 Miracle Gold last Saturday in Hudson. RS is the coach of 99 Miracle Gold. After going up 7-1 through two periods he instructed his players to hit and finish checks. I think most teams would look to play keep away or work on a team deficiency. With 4:30 left in the game #14 MG (from Rogers) chose to completely lay out an unknowing Exceed player. The puck was NO where close and the Exceed player looked like a yard sale as the force of the hit caused him to leave the ice and he landed on his back. #14 was kicked out of the game. He even took a few pictures upon leaving as the Exceed player was on a stretcher heading to the hospital. I can only imagine that was his trophy for the game.

Of course not all players on this team are goons. But when they follow the coaches orders they will fall under this umbrella. Coach RS did not even make an attempt at reaching out to the injured player or coach. To my surprise, #14 played on Sunday in the championship game. When confronted with why #14 was playing he replied f*** off!

I almost think we keep track of the goons on this forum, our kids may be safer.

edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

While I was not there and would not pretend to defend a blatant cheap shot, I would be careful with sweeping generalizations. My sons team has played the 99 miracle gold team 4 or 5 times this summer. In my experience they are a physical hard playing team, while sometimes tempers ran high as will happen with 14 yr old boys and borderline cheapshots happened from both teams, I never felt the Gold as a team were Goons. Just one goof's opinion after playing them several times. One thing I have noticed and not just in summer games, or blowouts, boys at this age tend to cheer on big hits and that should be dealt with by coaches with a firm hand. Though I can't see this issue ever being solved completely.
57special

Post by 57special »

Saw that hit. Totally uncalled for. Exceed player was nowhere near puck and was totally defenseless, as well as much smaller than the MG player. Hope the kid from Exceed is alright.

BTW, no affiliation with either team. Was there waiting for a completely different game to start.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

I'm letting this go for now, but I'll be watching it closely...please be careful about calling out individuals, especially kids. Let's try to have a constructive conversation, not just air out complaints.
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

Though all of the kids playing summer hockey have had contact for several years now, 99's are in the strange winter checking boat.
The early 99's were allowed to check as first year peewees, then not allowed to check, then have had checking again as bantams.
The late 99's haven't experienced checking in the winter.
sometimes tempers ran high as will happen with 14 yr old boys
boys at this age tend to cheer on big hits
I'm still going to say that there would be less cheering if they'd have been introduced to checking as less tempermatic 12 yr old boys.
imlisteningtothefnsong

Post by imlisteningtothefnsong »

My son's 99 team played this MG team this summer in some tourney up in Blaine. The player mentioned was very physical. Fortunately, my 99 is on the larger size and was enjoying the opportunity to return the favors. IMO, the MG coach was a complete donkey. He would not shake hands with the players or coaches. He instead was screaming at my kid calling him a dirty player. I thought the whole episode including one of the MG moms was why I am sick of summer hockey. It's time to go fishing!!
Mnhockeys

Post by Mnhockeys »

Did you guys hear from Karl -

Put the donkey coach and the crazy MG mom names out here. Out-of-line adults in youth sports deserve to be trashed.
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

InigoMontoya wrote:Though all of the kids playing summer hockey have had contact for several years now, 99's are in the strange winter checking boat.
The early 99's were allowed to check as first year peewees, then not allowed to check, then have had checking again as bantams.
The late 99's haven't experienced checking in the winter.
sometimes tempers ran high as will happen with 14 yr old boys
boys at this age tend to cheer on big hits
I'm still going to say that there would be less cheering if they'd have been introduced to checking as less tempermatic 12 yr old boys.
Interesting point. I saw this happen with a group of 01s in the Easton Cup, and it was a bunch of parents doing the cheering after one big (happened to be clean) hit. Game went to pot very quickly afterward.

I'm of the opinion that there are many parents who are even less able to handle checking than a 12 year old.
savagegopher

Post by savagegopher »

Personally I wish there was some kind of governing body just for the fact that last game of a tournament can get out of hand, I've had my kid speard, tomahawked, one game he was cross checked from behind at center ice when he didn't have the puck and as the kid is skating to penalty box the coach gives the kid a high five, I love physical hockey but despise cheap hockey and there seems to be more since you don't have to face district disciple
@hockeytweet

Post by @hockeytweet »

This is why I think summer hockey for Bantam eligible players is a joke. It is the one time of year they (players with attitudes) can cross the line without fear of discipline.
Face it, by now most of the teams are reaching out for fill in players. At this age, they simply want to show off. If a cheap shot is what they think will get them a high five in the locker room, they'll gladly administer that.

I agree that there should be some sort of governing body in MN for summer hockey that sets standards for: play, rosters, and discipline. With the growth in tournaments and teams over the last 5-6 years, the inherent problems when you have little (or no) regulation, is surfacing at an alarming rate. Look no further than this forum for evidence of that.
knights58

Goons

Post by knights58 »

We definitely DO NOT need another governing body for summer hockey. That is what has led to the popularity of summer hockey...not having to deal with the governing state and district bodies and many of their silly rules and knee jerk reactions to issues. These tournaments have rules and consequences...they need to enforce them accordingly. If they don't, teams need to quit playing in those tournaments and they will go out of business. There are a few bad apples out there....no doubt...but for the most part, the many tournaments we have been apart of have handled the occastional "goon" pretty well.
irish skater

Re: Goons

Post by irish skater »

knights58 wrote:We definitely DO NOT need another governing body for summer hockey. That is what has led to the popularity of summer hockey...not having to deal with the governing state and district bodies and many of their silly rules and knee jerk reactions to issues. These tournaments have rules and consequences...they need to enforce them accordingly. If they don't, teams need to quit playing in those tournaments and they will go out of business. There are a few bad apples out there....no doubt...but for the most part, the many tournaments we have been apart of have handled the occastional "goon" pretty well.
Saying that RS is a "bad apple" is an insult to apples everywhere :D