Lake Conference

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

panpan111

Lake Conference

Post by panpan111 »

Since we are all looking for some hockey chatter...Let's talk about the best conference in Girls Hockey! This is my opinion on how things will shake out...

1. Hopkins: Best player in the state, one of the top goalies, great coaching, & a solid supporting cast! Their Section performance last year was a valuable lesson...
2. Wayzata: Isn't it time? Deep team on a mission! If a goalie steps up & coaching doesn't get in the way, they will be as strong as anybody...
3. Edina: Should be fun to watch this team with Williamson leading the way! Solid, hard working team.
4. Tonka: Hard to imagine...but when all you have is 1 solid forward, couple of solid D, & a great goalie??? C'mon Man...it will be tough unless that bench gets pretty short & the goalie stands on her head...and she can!
5. EP: Solid team that has a great core group! Goaltending will be the issue here...The transfer from MG will be filling some VERY large skates in goal this year!

Great conference that will be fun to watch. Good luck to all!
lets be nice

Post by lets be nice »

When I read this preview I think to myself. How can the Lake Conference be this deep? I think they've won 5 of the last 10 state tournaments. I also think Wayzata was 11th in the state last year in the QRF, but they were 5th in the conference standings. WOW!!!
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

lets be nice wrote:When I read this preview I think to myself. How can the Lake Conference be this deep? I think they've won 5 of the last 10 state tournaments. I also think Wayzata was 11th in the state last year in the QRF, but they were 5th in the conference standings. WOW!!!
The Lake teams are even more dominant in other sports, like football where they've won 8 of the last 10 big school state tournaments. Not surprising considering their large enrollments and demographics (wealth).

Not sure about panpan111's predicted order of finish, but it's probably as good a guess as anybody's. All five teams look to be very good this year, and it wouldn't surprise me if all of them get ranked in the Top 10 until they start knocking each other off. Most figure Minnetonka to be down some compared to the past few years, but you can never count them out. If they do slip even a little it should open things up so that the conference title is within reach for everyone else.
D6 Girls Fan

Post by D6 Girls Fan »

It's funny how nobody's giving EP any credit. This group of girls are proven winners. They are well-coached and work hard. I also find it hard to say that Minnetonka will fall that far. But when you look at Hopkns and Wayzata, it's hard not to see how good they will be too.

Two of these teams will go to state. And will battle Hill-Murray for the title.
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

As I said before, you could very well have 5 teams with 4-4 records. Realistically, there will likely be some ties, but all teams will probably end up within a game or two of each other. EP or Edina will almost certainly make it to State, but the others will have to get by BSM (and each other).

I would adjust Panpan's analysis of Tonka and call the top 2 D great instead of solid, since one's on a national team and playing at the U next season and the other is playing at Penn State the following season. I would wager that those two by themselves will outscore the top forward line (no offense to the "one solid F"). I would certainly be one to give EP credit, but goaltending is indeed an open issue and they'll be playing top 10 teams in their conference each week.

As cloudy as all our crystal balls are now, we likely won't know for sure until the final game of the season. Should be fun to watch!
36Guy

Re: Lake Conference

Post by 36Guy »

panpan111 wrote:Since we are all looking for some hockey chatter...Let's talk about the best conference in Girls Hockey! This is my opinion on how things will shake out...

1. Hopkins: Best player in the state, one of the top goalies, great coaching, & a solid supporting cast! Their Section performance last year was a valuable lesson...
2. Wayzata: Isn't it time? Deep team on a mission! If a goalie steps up & coaching doesn't get in the way, they will be as strong as anybody...
3. Edina: Should be fun to watch this team with Williamson leading the way! Solid, hard working team.
4. Tonka: Hard to imagine...but when all you have is 1 solid forward, couple of solid D, & a great goalie??? C'mon Man...it will be tough unless that bench gets pretty short & the goalie stands on her head...and she can!
5. EP: Solid team that has a great core group! Goaltending will be the issue here...The transfer from MG will be filling some VERY large skates in goal this year!

Great conference that will be fun to watch. Good luck to all!
I am typically up for a good argument, but I agree with you an awful lot!

But..I will give it a try just to spice up the blog. First...Everything about Hopkins is correct, however, I would like to see them win a big game first!! This is not my order but I will follow your lead.

2nd, Wayzata...agreed very deep but what Mission are they on?? Did I miss some big game that they got upset? Tons of Talent, my surprise team of the year not just in the lake but the state. But, their coach will do her best to screw it up.

3rd Edina, I have them fourth. Where are they going to get offense?? Just like HM, watch them for years to come.

4th Tonka, I have them higher of course. You did not mention coaching with them and that is a huge mistake. Top 3 goalie in the state. Top D pair in the state and 14U team won it all 2 years ago. If they can score they will be first, if they can't they will slide a little.

5th EP..I will get blasted for this, but I agree with you, goaltending and girls that were on the 12u state champs now play for several schools and have been split up.

As far as predicting the State Final, I do believe it will be the 6AA winner and someone else. It all depends on the seeds, LN was the 2nd best team the last two years at state but do to seeds they had to run in to Tonka.
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

LN was the 2nd best team the last two years at state but do to seeds they had to run in to Tonka.
Bad seeding?
36Guy

Post by 36Guy »

InigoMontoya wrote:
LN was the 2nd best team the last two years at state but do to seeds they had to run in to Tonka.
Bad seeding?
Judging by results at state I would have to say yes. Quality of competition is not taken into account. Most Lake teams will have several losses early due to facing each other so often. Watch!..someone will be blogging how Mounds View gets no respect and should be number one because of their record. (Disclaimer..MV was just a example, could be anyone)

Here is Tonka's schedule this year. If Tonka is 16-9 through 25 games should Irondale be ranked higher if they are 20-5? Maybe thats another blog?

11/12/2013 5pm JV / 7pm V
Lakeville North @ Pagel
11/14/2013 5pm JV / 7pm V
Burnsville @ Burnsville
11/15/2013 5:30pm JV / 7:30pm V
Roseau @ Pagel
11/16/2013 11am JV / 1pm V
Warroad @ Pagel
11/19/2013 5pm JV / 7pm V
Apple Valley @ Pagel (Banner Raising Ceremony)
12/7/2013 1pm JV / 3pm V
Hill-Murray @ Aldrich
12/10/2013 5pm JV / 7pm V
Moundsview @ Pagel
12/12/2013 5pm JV / 7pm V
Andover @ Andover
12/14/2013 1pm JV / 3pm V
Edina @ Plymouth Ice Center (Lake Showcase)
12/17/2013 5pm JV / 7pm V
Wayzata @ Pagel
12/19/2013 5:30pm JV / 7:30pm V
Blaine @ Fogerty
12/21/2013 1pm JV / 3pm V
Maple Grove @ Pagel
12/23/2013 Monday 2:15-3:45pm
Alumni Game @ Pagel
12/26/2013 TBD
EP Holiday Tourney
12/27/2013 TBD
EP Holiday Tourney
12/28/2013 TBD
EP Holiday Tourney
1/4/2014 1pm JV / 3pm V
Buffalo @ Buffalo
1/7/2014 5pm JV / 7pm V
Hopkins @ MIA
1/11/2014 1pm JV / 3pm V
Eden Prairie @ Pagel
1/14/2014 5pm JV / 7pm V
Edina @ Braemar
1/18/2014 12pm JV / 2pm V
Wayzata @ PIC
1/25/2014 1pm JV / 3pm V
Hopkins @ Pagel
1/28/2014 5pm JV / 7pm V
Eden Prairie @ EPCC
1/30/2014 5pm JV / 7pm V
Centennial @ Pagel
2/1/2014 5pm V (no JV)
Blake @ Pagel
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

I would just really like to know who is the best player in the state? See above.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:I would just really like to know who is the best player in the state? See above.
Hard to say until the season is well underway.
Nevertoomuchhockey

Sorry, that was kind of a sarcastic reply to the opening thread comment by panpan about "the best player in the state."
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:Sorry, that was kind of a sarcastic reply to the opening thread comment by panpan about "the best player in the state."
Hmmm, I thought panpan's start to this thread was about the Lake Conference? I really do think it's too early to crown any one individual as "the best player in the state" before the puck drops in the season's first game! Who knows, that player may not even be in the Lake Conference? :roll:
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

In their opening thread they claim Hopkins has "the best player in the state" that is why someone asked sarcastically who that person is. Make sense now?
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Tigers33 wrote:In their opening thread they claim Hopkins has "the best player in the state" that is why someone asked sarcastically who that person is. Make sense now?
I get that, but sarcastically or not, it's still way too early to proclaim anybody as "the best player in the state"! At this juncture we can compile a list of potential candidates, but that's about it...lot's of things can happen between now and mid-February. Rather than speculate under this "Lake Conference" thread, I suggest it would be better to start a new one, perhaps named: "Who are the pre-season favorites to be named 2014 Ms. Hockey"? We could then suggest deserving candidates from all conferences, including the Lake.
36Guy

Post by 36Guy »

Wow....10 threads about "best player in the state" on no names. Are these bloggers are getting weak?

And we can't name them now? Why do we have to wait for some Dip---- from the Star and Tribune to decide? Or do we go by stats, so some girl from Crookston or New Ulm with a ton of goals to decide. (Props to BS from NUHA).

I will step forward...Best player in the State in a fantasy hockey draft and I get to go first? Two catagories: Forward - Nina Rodgers! Defense - Sydney Baldwin!

Scratch those last 3 paragraphs...let's wait for the season to play out, get a fair analysis from the wonks, take a poll and give a trophy to the top 5.
NotMuchToSay

Post by NotMuchToSay »

And so it begins...
Nevertoomuchhockey

Oh this could be fun

Fantasy league MN Girls HS Hockey?
Probably impossible because so many great players don't always show up on the stat sheet, but still.... An intriguing and positive idea from a forum which (understatement) tends to go negative at times.
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

What's wrong with new ulm and crookston?
Bighead

Post by Bighead »

Tigers33...please have somebody explain the posts before commenting!
Maverick2000

Post by Maverick2000 »

I will select schammel from red wing way over Rogers as Hopkins plays much tougher schedule then red wing and schammel is a much stronger sniper especially against lesser teams. Look at last years stats...
dynamo

Post by dynamo »

Best player is up for debate, but hard to give it Schammel when she does play lesser competition. She is a heckuva player, but is she capable of doing what Rodgers does against the stiff competition? The two are also different players. Rodgers plays both ways and brings a more well rounded game. I believe if you look beyond the stat sheets the Ms. Hockey race is between Sydney Baldwin and Rodgers!
Maverick2000

Post by Maverick2000 »

Kelly Pannek BSM would be my vote for that, Schammel would be my pick for the fantasy hockey comment as top pick as will crush Baldwin and Rogers for points this year.
C-dad

Post by C-dad »

Maverick2000 wrote:Kelly Pannek BSM would be my vote for that,
Best hockey or SOCCER player. Her squad just won another State title in soccer today and Kelly is Ms. Soccer.

After three years meeting in the 1A final should BSM and Blake move up to 2A in soccer? :wink:
blondegirlsdad

Post by blondegirlsdad »

I'm a little biased, but I agree that Kelly Pannek might be the best two-way player.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

With Pannek, Rodgers and Baldwin all headed to the U next year, Brad Frost must be smiling! I also think the MSU-Mankato is getting a big-time scorer in Schammel. Have only seen her play in last year's Class A State Tournament but I thought she was outstanding also. All four are very deserving of consideration IMO.