Achiever

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

BP

Achiever

Post by BP »

How does a player play for Hastings on a Sat scrimmage, then AA on Monday? Must be a great realtor!!!
AMERICAN

Post by AMERICAN »

If true, both the school and the family must have have worked amazingly fast in compiling the sufficient evidence of "change of residency" and convincing the Minnesota High School league of the eligibility since such a transfer is "deemed presumptively ineligible".

BYLAW 111 POLICY PROCEDURES FOR DETERMINING TRANSFER STUDENT ELIGIBILITY
1. Policy. It is the policy of the League to provide, promote, extend, manage and administer competitive activities for Minnesota youth. The League’s member schools have determined that student movement from school to school should be restricted. To accomplish this goal, the League adopted Bylaw 111 to restrict student movement between schools to prevent athletic transfers and ensure competitive equity amongst schools regardless of athletic ability. The League has found that to best achieve this goal, it does not determine whether a transfer was for athletic purposes but rather determines that all Transfer Students are deemed presumptively ineligible for varsity athletics unless they meet one of the exceptions listed in Bylaw 111 or as outlined in these Independent Hearing Procedures.
AMERICAN

Post by AMERICAN »

If the school and family has proven this to the Minnesota High School league then all is good:

BOARD POLICY DEFINITIONS FOR BYLAW 111
1. Change of Residence. A change of residence is the actual physical relocation by the parents or guardians of a student with the intent to reside indefinitely at a new residence in Minnesota and terminate all occupancy of a previous residence. The change in residence must be bona fide, include other minor siblings and involve a transfer from one public school district attendance area to another public school district attendance area.
2. For purposes of eligibility determinations, the residence of a student shall be the bona fide location of the residence and must include occupancy by the students’ parents or guardians in the public school attendance area. Both parents, except as otherwise provided herein, must physically reside at the residence on a regular basis for the duration of the student’s enrollment.
3. If a student is married, the student’s residence is determined by the bona fide residence where the student and the student’s spouse actually reside.
4. In determining whether a change in residence is bona fide, a member school and the League may consider, but will not be limited to: A. New mailing address of the parents or guardians B. Voting registration of parents or guardians that coincides with the new residence
C. Driver’s license registration that coincides with the new residence D. Purchase or rental agreements E. Any other reliable evidence of residency
5. A marriage separation cannot be used for the purpose of establishing a new residence. 6. Emancipated Student. An emancipated student is one who:
A. B.
Has been a resident of the state of Minnesota for at least one full calendar year immediately preceding the date in question, and Is totally self-supporting. Criteria to determine if a student is self-supporting may include, but is not limited to: 1) A notarized statement from the parent(s) or guardian(s) that they provide none of the student’s support;
2) Verification of employment or other means of financial support from the student’s employer or supporting agency;
3) Verification of rent payment by the student; 4) Verification from a school that the student is accepted to attend as a resident student on the grounds of
being emancipated; 5) Any other documentation requested by the Minnesota State High School League or member school.
7. If emancipated, a student’s residence is determined by the bona fide residence where the student actually resides. Only MSHSL staff can determine emancipation status.MSHSL Emancipated Student status is reserved to those situations that are outside of the student’s control that result in the student being on his or her own.
8. Good Standing. For purposes of this bylaw, the term “good standing” shall mean that on the official date of withdrawal from the last school attended the student was fully eligible at that school under all of the conditions and all of the eligibility requirements of that school as well as the eligibility requirements of the state activity association of which that school is a member.
9. Guardianship. For purposes of this bylaw, guardianship or Power of Attorney shall not be accepted for the purpose of establishing the residence of a student except when the guardianship has been established pursuant to a child protection order placement in a foster home or a juvenile court disposition order.
10. High School. A high school shall include grades 9 through 12. 11. Parents. For purposes of this bylaw, parents shall mean both parents of the student. In the event of divorce, parent
shall be the parent with legal and physical custody of the student. In the case of a child protection order, parent shall mean the facility assigned by a court pursuant to a child protection order, foster home placement or juvenile court disposition order.
12. Power of Attorney. For purposes of this bylaw, guardianship shall not be accepted for the purpose of establishing the residence of a student except when the guardianship has been established pursuant to a child protection order placement in a foster home or a juvenile court disposition order.
Continued on Page 25
24 www.MSHSL.org 2013-2014 Minnesota State High School League Official Handbook
Continued from Page 24
Public School District Attendance Area. The term “public school district attendance area” shall be understood to refer to the area assigned to a specific high school by a Board of Education and shall not refer to a school district except in cases in which only one high school exists in a school district. Receiving School. The high school now attended by the student is the “Receiving School.”
D6 Girls Fan

Post by D6 Girls Fan »

You don't think this particular school will be getting any extra scrutiny to make sure they're 100% on the up and up, do you?

Seems like there are people just waiting for them to slip up.
hockeyfan87

Re: Achiever

Post by hockeyfan87 »

BP wrote:How does a player play for Hastings on a Sat scrimmage, then AA on Monday? Must be a great realtor!!!
So, BP, are we talking a player played "Varsity" for both teams, or is she playing "JV"?
NotMuchToSay

Post by NotMuchToSay »

Does it matter whether it was JV or V?
glovesareoff

Post by glovesareoff »

Oh boy.. I got a feelin MN Bowhunter will be chiming in 5... 4..... 3.... 2... 1...
hockeypuck9

Post by hockeypuck9 »

Hastings didn't have any JV scrimmages in Duluth, so the safe presumption is that this player was competing for a varsity position.
MN_Bowhunter

Post by MN_Bowhunter »

:D My ears are burning, what's going on in here? Is it time for more chattering of the ninnies? I'll play along. My greatest hope is that Underachiever Academy recruits enough national and international talent that all of the MN girls whose parents have chosen for them to play there find themselves on the bench or JV, while a team of girls from all over the globe win the Minnesota State Hockey Tournament.[/u]
SECoach

Post by SECoach »

NotMuchToSay wrote:Does it matter whether it was JV or V?
It does matter. The eligibility rules apply to varsity play. Ineligible transfer students are free to compete at the JV level.
Last edited by SECoach on Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AAA Dad

Post by AAA Dad »

MN_Bowhunter wrote::D My ears are burning, what's going on in here? Is it time for more chattering of the ninnies? I'll play along. My greatest hope is that Underachiever Academy recruits enough national and international talent that all of the MN girls whose parents have chosen for them to play there find themselves on the bench or JV, while a team of girls from all over the globe win the Minnesota State Hockey Tournament.[/u]
Where you talking about Achiever Academy or St Thomas Academy whose 1st forward line from last year where all from Wisconsin and I here "shared" an apartment. Achiever will have to follow the same regulations as all other MN High Schools. Where is all the fuss about EP picking up the missing piece (goaltender) from MG or the Blue Chip transfer from Benilde to HM?? We could go on and on. Publics and privates have been "recruiting" for decades. A lot of the time it is not the school recruiting at all but the players/families wanting to make a change for any number of reasons. Players and families will choose Achiever or any other school as a personal choice and who is anybody to question their motives??
I heard the goalie from Hastings was slotted to be JV in Hastings and has a brother that had already been at Northern Educate. Is it a shock to anybody that this kind of move could be made??.....Don't let it ruin your season people!...."Let's Play Hockey!"
SECoach

Post by SECoach »

AAA Dad wrote:
MN_Bowhunter wrote::D My ears are burning, what's going on in here? Is it time for more chattering of the ninnies? I'll play along. My greatest hope is that Underachiever Academy recruits enough national and international talent that all of the MN girls whose parents have chosen for them to play there find themselves on the bench or JV, while a team of girls from all over the globe win the Minnesota State Hockey Tournament.[/u]
Where you talking about Achiever Academy or St Thomas Academy whose 1st forward line from last year where all from Wisconsin and I here "shared" an apartment. Achiever will have to follow the same regulations as all other MN High Schools. Where is all the fuss about EP picking up the missing piece (goaltender) from MG or the Blue Chip transfer from Benilde to HM?? We could go on and on. Publics and privates have been "recruiting" for decades. A lot of the time it is not the school recruiting at all but the players/families wanting to make a change for any number of reasons. Players and families will choose Achiever or any other school as a personal choice and who is anybody to question their motives??
I heard the goalie from Hastings was slotted to be JV in Hastings and has a brother that had already been at Northern Educate. Is it a shock to anybody that this kind of move could be made??.....Don't let it ruin your season people!...."Let's Play Hockey!"
The "American Freedom" and "Don't tell me how to live" theories don't apply here. When someone "chooses" to participate in an organized activity whether it be Minnesota Hockey, AAU Basketball, or the MSHSL, they are choosing to participate in an organization that has established rules. By joining, they are agreeing to abide by those rules. Want freedom? Don't join. For that reason, it is clearly the responsibility of the organization and it's members to question whether someone is adhering to the rules. Their motives? What ever.....but whether they are following the established rules is well within their rights.
hockeyfan87

Post by hockeyfan87 »

Yes, if she played for Hastings on Saturday, and then changed schools and started playing for AA this week, she could play on the AA JV team (If they have one, I have no idea). If she is going to play "Varsity" at AA this season, then she would need to abide by all of the transfer student rules from the MSHSL.

1. Policy. It is the policy of the League to provide, promote, extend, manage and administer competitive activities for Minnesota youth. The League’s member schools have determined that student movement from school to school should be restricted. To accomplish this goal, the League adopted Bylaw 111 to restrict student movement between schools to prevent athletic transfers and ensure competitive equity amongst schools regardless of athletic ability. The League has found that to best achieve this goal, it does not determine whether a transfer was for athletic purposes but rather determines that all Transfer Students are deemed presumptively ineligible for varsity athletics unless they meet one of the exceptions listed in Bylaw 111 or as outlined in these Independent Hearing Procedures.
SECoach

Post by SECoach »

hockeyfan87 wrote:
Yes, if she played for Hastings on Saturday, and then changed schools and started playing for AA this week, she could play on the AA JV team (If they have one, I have no idea). If she is going to play "Varsity" at AA this season, then she would need to abide by all of the transfer student rules from the MSHSL.

It does not matter whether a player has played or not. The school transfer is what is important. Even if an athlete has not ever played at their previous school, but they then transfer schools, they are deemed ineligible for varsity play in all sports for 1 calendar year from the date of the transfer, unless they meet the criteria. Also, Duluth was a scrimmage, so she still has not played a game this season with Hastings any way you cut it (not that it matters)
Last edited by SECoach on Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AAA Dad

Post by AAA Dad »

hockeyfan87 wrote:

1. Policy. It is the policy of the League to provide, promote, extend, manage and administer competitive activities for Minnesota youth. The League’s member schools have determined that student movement from school to school should be restricted. To accomplish this goal, the League
adopted Bylaw 111 to restrict student movement between schools to prevent athletic transfers and ensure competitive equity amongst schools regardless of athletic ability. The League has found that to best achieve this goal, it does not determine whether a transfer was for athletic purposes but rather determines that all Transfer Students are deemed presumptively ineligible for varsity athletics unless they meet one of the exceptions listed in Bylaw 111 or as outlined in these Independent Hearing Procedures.
Moving/Changing residence fulfills the requirement does it not?
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

Reading threads like this and those of a similar vein allow me to sleep better at night knowing that the politics at our school are relatively minor in comparison. Either that, or I'm further out of the loop than I thought!
AAA Dad

Post by AAA Dad »

sinbin wrote:Reading threads like this and those of a similar vein allow me to sleep better at night knowing that the politics at our school are relatively minor in comparison. Either that, or I'm further out of the loop than I thought!
This is really not about politics but more about lack of knowledge. It is interesting how some fear and sometimes hate what they do not understand. Hard working student athletes that may not be the best but want to be the best and are giving the tools to get there is what Achiever is about. It brings a lot of like minded people together and I guess that frightens some. Some want more than what is offered in their home town and are willing to make sacrifices for that. Watch and see how many student/athletes and families will want that in their lives in the coming years and will be willing to move their families to do so. There will be more schools like this besides Achiever/NE and Breakaway coming in the future......It was a matter of time that this model that has been popular out east and in Canada came to the "State of Hockey"
Gossip and Rumors are not violations of MSHL rules.! These accusations started early this summer.... All with no merit..
Bluelightspecial

Post by Bluelightspecial »

Truth is, some worry to much about what others do!
MN_Bowhunter

Post by MN_Bowhunter »

Nobody has an issue with the school or the kids who attend it. The issue is this school competing in the MSHSL. If you went off and competed with the prep schools out east and in Canada nobody would notice, let alone complain.
AAA Dad

Post by AAA Dad »

MN_Bowhunter wrote:Nobody has an issue with the school or the kids who attend it. The issue is this school competing in the MSHSL. If you went off and competed with the prep schools out east and in Canada nobody would notice, let alone complain.
You have no problem with school or girls yet you label them "UnderAchievers"??? Come On! .....Do you also complain about #1 ranked Warroad and their history of Canadian and out of town players? I know a lot of people want a separate league for all the private schools in MN which I agree is a good argument but no situation will ever create an even playing field across the board in MN where every girl can get a medal. Be thankful you have Achiever to route against all season long and relish in every "Underachieving" moment they have along the way if you wish. I wish you and any program you care about the best of luck this season!
BP

Post by BP »

Getting off topic a tad.....The issue at hand is how does a girl enrolled at Hastings on Saturday play with that Varsity team, then is at AA on Monday......I doubt she would leave her varsity starting position to play JV at AA.
AAA Dad

Post by AAA Dad »

BP wrote:Getting off topic a tad.....The issue at hand is how does a girl enrolled at Hastings on Saturday play with that Varsity team, then is at AA on Monday......I doubt she would leave her varsity starting position to play JV at AA.
If she meets the criteria for the MSHSL transfer requirements she will be Varsity eligible at AA. If not she will have to be a JV only player for games but can still train all year with the rest of the girls. I am no expert on the interpretation of the requirements so I will curiously wait and see how this plays out myself.
Bighead

Post by Bighead »

AAA Dad...You seem to be the Achiever Apologist...Calm down & enjoy the season!
SECoach

Post by SECoach »

Pretty simple to me. There are rules and everyone should play by them. I make no assumptions who does and who doesn't with that statement. Only that it's that simple.
36Guy

Post by 36Guy »

Bighead wrote:AAA Dad...You seem to be the Achiever Apologist...Calm down & enjoy the season!
Nice job Bighead breaking the code...AAA Dad(Achiever Academy Apologist). Don't sweat it AAA, I have been called much worse! :twisted:

I fall under the "could care less what they do category" After all like they say, people who live in glass houses should dress in the basement!
Last edited by 36Guy on Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.