Achiever Academy ineligible girl players?

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

RailingWizardofOZ

Post by RailingWizardofOZ »

57special wrote:I'm not that concerned about the girls either, except for them having to put up with unethical parents and school staff. They aren't children anymore, but well on the way to being adults. They knew what was going on was wrong and an attempt to stack the deck in their favor.

My comment is not a counter point to this author or those stating similar thoughts. Just reading this reminded me of the scene from Blind Side regarding his paper on leaders, honor and courage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcsqfNNYllE

I attempted to go back on past threads as I seem to remember a post from one of the AA parents telling us all about how there are 3 types of people in the world. Wish I could find that as I would like to see how that holds true today.
TXinMyRearView

Post by TXinMyRearView »

Goalie-Dad wrote: Come on 57special . . . like it or not, these are teenage girls. Teenage girls are just concerned with guys, getting the drivers license, and preventing acne. They are not initially malicious or trying to cheat the system, they are doing whatever mom or dad is telling them to do.
Bravo, Goalie-Dad.

In the end, Gents, we are not talking about chemical weapons and a peace deal in Syria. This is a kid's sport. And IMHO it is the kids who are losing all around. I think we need to keep this in perspective ....
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

Marty wrote:
MN_Bowhunter wrote:I don't know, I'm going to miss them.

Farewell, my love

It will be interesting to see if AA can recover. Only a couple seniors so they can regroup and be ready for a state run next year. As some noted on this thread or another, most rules that were violated will no longer apply come next fall. The penalty is not life time - just one year. Clock resets before the start of the next season.

Prairie Seeds Academy (quoted in the soccer example) was right back in the State Tournament one year later ... at the higher classification level too.

Maybe SPA should be recruiting those AA 7th and 8th graders to come over to a real brick and mortar school. :wink: Build their program while helping pull the rug from next year's section foe. :shock:
I disagree Marty. As many have pointed out the year at jv starts today, or whenever legal eligibility is established. I can't believe they will have enough girls stick around to try. At least 5 AA families already seeking legal counsel to petition MSHL to allow them to transfer to their old or alternate schools. Can't believe MSHL will let any of these players get any kind of waiver - the impropriety embedded in the AA/MSHL/CP relationship has to stop now that the media has gotten its teeth in and the public outcry forced AAs hand.
The kids and families who played by the rules suffer by default.

The questions I have are:
Does CP still have a job today?
What will MSHL actually do to sanction/correct/remedy this mess? As of now they've done NOTHING. AA "chose" to forfeit. Lets see how they spin that.
Why would anyone, especially in their section, schedule this team?
How could anyone, in the wake of what's only the beginning of the investigations and lawsuits involving AA, even consider this school for their daughter? Eligibility FAR from the only rule broken.

Should be an interesting spring.
AMERICAN

Post by AMERICAN »

Karl or Mitch- I need your help. American tried to post on the StarTribune site under their last article where they ask for comments early this morning. I tried to post that if people want to hear the real TRUTH about this case to get on the HIGH SCHOOL HOCKEY FORUM. I even tried to give them the direct link to this thread.

It has now been over 4 hours since I got the message "YOUR COMMENT IS AWAITING MODERATION". Being a lawyer I'm having a difficult time with understanding the media word for of "MODERATION". Could it possibly be that they are jealous and don't want the readers to find out the real story right here on our favorite media source? I thought that maybe you guys had some sort of reciprocity agreement but I must be wrong. I'm glad I cancelled my subscription long ago after I got pissed up with them. Maybe American & Company can help ignite a grassroots start to abolished all the crappy media sources and have it begin right here on the PEOPLE'S HOCKEY FORUM! Our goal can be to take CNN down! What you think?

And Bowhunter- Don't worry, I have a funny feeling you'll be able to find the new love of your life right here on the FORUM! It's Valentines Day my friend so better start searching!
SECoach

Post by SECoach »

MNHockeyFan wrote:http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_251 ... -sectional

"MSHSL executive director Dave Stead said he was aware of sentiment to replay the sectional but that the MSHSL board has set a precedent 'to not advance the team that has been defeated in an earlier round of play, even if the team that has defeated them has forfeited. Stead declined to comment further."

I hope he sticks to his guns!

No. 3 seed SPU beat No. 2 seed SSP head-to-head in the semi, so IMO they've earned to right to go.
I think it's refreshing to finally have a parent basically admit that they sent their child to a different school to have a chance to play for a state championship. Sad, but refreshing to have one admit it, whether she meant to or not. Enough of the claims that it's a better classroom experience for my child. It's to buy a state championship and many are willing to eat Spam to get the gold.
JohnnyBuck

Post by JohnnyBuck »

I don't know, I'm going to miss them. I really enjoyed the friendly banter between us. I'm pretty sure Letsgetrealpeople had a crush on me, and to be honest, her crafty wordplay was a bit of a turn-on. I've always considered myself a better than average wordsmith (as well as a bit of a swordsman), I feel we may have been a perfect match.
Yo, Bowhunter...............You are starting to sound like Manti Teo. I hope the love of your life ain't a dude! :P
Marty

Post by Marty »

Nevertoomuchhockey:

If the players were enrolled when school started last fall '13. Is that not when the timeline begins ? They will have one year at AA next August/September and become Varsity eligible.

No time line for those in 8th grade this year.

Did AA play any team in Section 4A this regular season ?
Marty

Post by Marty »

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:As many have pointed out the year at jv starts today.
Completely wrong. I know of multiple examples where a player left a school during the fall or after the season began. The one year wait begins the day you enroll in your new school.

If a boy (player) is cut from a Varsity program and transfers to another school on December 1. He must play JV until Dec 1 the following year. Then he can go Varsity if he made the roster. I know of multiple kids who were cut from high profile Privates and returned to their smaller school.

Date of enrollment is the key here.
MN_Bowhunter

Post by MN_Bowhunter »

RailingWizardofOZ wrote: I attempted to go back on past threads as I seem to remember a post from one of the AA parents telling us all about how there are 3 types of people in the world. Wish I could find that as I would like to see how that holds true today.
Happy to oblige.

The thread:

http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

The comment you're referring to, page 5:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:14 am Post subject: Facts are always better than fiction! Reply with quote

Dear HockeyFan21,

I’m glad to see you vigorously debate the issue as that tells me you care about Education and Athletics. Let me provide some clarity for you about the Student/Athletes at Achievers Academy.

I know quite a bit about the Student/Athletes at Achievers Academy as two of them are my own. They are all highly focused and driven kids that dream big and work hard on and off the ice. They are there to achieve great things in the classroom as well as on the ice and make absolutely no mistake they want to succeed in both arenas. They just like other Student/Athletes from other schools across this state are learning that to achieve success you have to work hard and stay focused.

The Student/Athletes at Achiever Academy are some of the hardest working and focused kids I have ever met. But here is something different than most schools, they are smiling everyday when they get there in morning and you can tell they genuinely want to be there every day.

I know you and obviously others below have spent a lot of time chattering about how horrible this all is and what kind of parents would even consider this type of approach.

My answer to you and them is me!

Why? Because I did what most of the people below did not do! I actually looked, listened, learned and then I formed an opinion based on the facts. After that we then mustered up the courage to give something new a try. Then we kept vigilance as the school progressed over the last three years.

And just like I tell my kids sometimes to succeed you have to be willing take a risk and sometimes that risk pay off. So far I can honestly say this school is one of times in my kids lives were courage is paying dividends for them in the classroom and on the ice.

As for the teachers, coaches and administrators at Achievers Academy they are some of the finest people I have ever met in my life. They genuinely care about every Student/Athlete that attends the school. Their tireless approach in the classroom and on the ice is contagious and the students love it.

Notice to all that read my statements above! I capped the “Student/Athlete” term every time I used it. They are what this is all about not you!

I’m sure what I said will not stop the chattering ninnies as they lack the foundation of wisdom.
(“Look, listen, learn and then form an opinion based on the facts” from paragraph six for all of you chattering ninnies)

The way I see it there are two types of people on the planet.

1st type: Cant, Won’t, Never
2nd type: Can, Will, Must

Ask all of yourselves which type you are before you make your next post!

Cheers,

LetsGetRealPeople
Nevertoomuchhockey

Marty wrote:
Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:As many have pointed out the year at jv starts today.
Completely wrong. I know of multiple examples where a player left a school during the fall or after the season began. The one year wait begins the day you enroll in your new school.

If a boy (player) is cut from a Varsity program and transfers to another school on December 1. He must play JV until Dec 1 the following year. Then he can go Varsity if he made the roster. I know of multiple kids who were cut from high profile Privates and returned to their smaller school.

Date of enrollment is the key here.
Date of LEGAL enrollment. Some AA kids will be eligible in fall, some a year from now, some a year from establishing legal residency, some never. And as we've seen, half have been eligible all along. I'm more concerned about giving those girls a fair shot next year than anything AA may try to do in their second season.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

AMERICAN wrote:Karl or Mitch- I need your help. American tried to post on the StarTribune site under their last article where they ask for comments early this morning. I tried to post that if people want to hear the real TRUTH about this case to get on the HIGH SCHOOL HOCKEY FORUM. I even tried to give them the direct link to this thread.

It has now been over 4 hours since I got the message "YOUR COMMENT IS AWAITING MODERATION". Being a lawyer I'm having a difficult time with understanding the media word for of "MODERATION". Could it possibly be that they are jealous and don't want the readers to find out the real story right here on our favorite media source? I thought that maybe you guys had some sort of reciprocity agreement but I must be wrong. I'm glad I cancelled my subscription long ago after I got pissed up with them. Maybe American & Company can help ignite a grassroots start to abolished all the crappy media sources and have it begin right here on the PEOPLE'S HOCKEY FORUM! Our goal can be to take CNN down! What you think?

And Bowhunter- Don't worry, I have a funny feeling you'll be able to find the new love of your life right here on the FORUM! It's Valentines Day my friend so better start searching!
I sent you a private message.
Jabobby

Interesting stat on AA website

Post by Jabobby »

Seems like the website administrator or AA themselves are a little bitter about their being caught and having to forfeit their game against SPU. On their website under girls hockey they have the score of their 1/30 game against SPU. Here's the link.

http://www.achieveracademy.org/page/sho ... y-2013-14-

Not only did they get caught cheating, now their trying to rub it in SPU's faces. What a world class organization they have over there.
moose jaw

Post by moose jaw »

Whats all the hubbub about?Warroad been doing this for years on both the girls and boys teams,heck they have some hardware to prove this concept can be succesfull.Just wait until they get that internet up there and they can offer online classes.
Nevertoomuchhockey

In all fairness, it looks like that was their last regular season game. I've never been on their website before but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and believe that was already on the site like that. Not changed in light of their forfeit. Probably too busy with the media, attorneys, and stampeding parents today.
If I was an SPU player or parent I'd be too busy making plans to get off work for the State Tourney to bother what AA said or did.

AMERICAN, you are probably still celebrating the fall of the giant in its own mind "academy." But you could wrap this up for us before we go on another 8 pages....!
MinnGirlsHockey

Post by MinnGirlsHockey »

Marty wrote:Did AA play any team in Section 4A this regular season ?
They beat Simley (7-1), Minnehaha (7-0), and SPU (7-1) during the regular season. Or do those all become 0-1 losses? Probably not the latter since the MSHSL didn't actually enforce any rules, AA just withdrew from post-season play.
D6 Girls Fan

Post by D6 Girls Fan »

Look, if a parent spent 13 grand to send their kid to AA, they could just as easily rent an apartment in St. Paul or Hopkins or St. Louis Park or Golden Valley for less than that, use that as a legal residence and enroll your kid in a private school with a good hockey program. Assuming she's pretty good, it's remarkable how easily some schools provide "financial help". It happens all the time, right or wrong.

If you can even come up with a semi-decent reason, you'll be able to transfer. AA was just one or two steps over the imaginary line with who they took, where they were from, and sloppy about the steps necessary to make it look proper and legal. If you want to criticize CP, criticize that he didn't cheat WELL ENOUGH. Now, if you really want to stop the mercenary nature of the high-school transfer, that's a different subject, one that is equally at home in Basketball, Soccer, Wrestling and Football. ...and Boy's Hockey.

I hope that any of the GIRLS on the AA roster who want to play next year get the chance. I'm sure they'll make a very good AAA team this summer, and it almost seems that these days you play more outside the season than you do inside it. I'm not as magnanimous about the parents involved. I'm sure they all realized they were taking some sort of chance, and it was rare to have the first pioneer go out and not get shot. Some were outright dishonest, some were optimistically ignorant, some just grasping at an available straw. But everyone had to understand that this was risky, especially when the out of state kids started coming in.

Best of luck to St. Paul United, who probably needs to win this thing to avoid being a footnote on this big story.
Last edited by D6 Girls Fan on Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMERICAN

Post by AMERICAN »

Karl- Thanks for the private message. Don't worry I won't tell anyone what it said- attorney/client privilege remember- just kidding guys!

Everyone- On a more serious note however, I saw the new topic posted that it's a "Sad Day For Girls Hockey". DO NOT BELIEVE THAT STATEMENT- IT"S REALLY A GREAT DAY FOR GIRLS HOCKEY- because of this Forum, we can proudly say that we all had an impact in cleaning up a problem not only in the great sport of hockey but really all of Minnesota High School Sports. It's a great day because the values learned from this are much greater than the wins and losses or any trophy that is ever raised over your heads. The values that have been learned only through the use of this Forum and through each and every one your posts make it a GREAT DAY FOR GIRLS HOCKEY!

I have decide against posting my closing remarks on how American & Company unraveled this mess and the struggles they had in trying bring Justice until after the State Tournament. I want all the focus on the girls who have the honor of playing in this great tournament and not on the issue caused by AA. I for one will not be talking to any media about this since I really don't like them much since they rather print what sells rather than what's true. To me there is a big difference! We all saw what AA wants to sell and we all found out that it's not true. So, if the media asks me anything my answer is simply this; "Go read the High School Hockey Forum and learn all about it"

I do want to set the record straight on one last thing to the people still posting that they think SPU hockey had anything to do with the timing of this issue. The truth is that if American & Company had the power and authority to make the decisions it would have been resolved before the section 4A tournament. But that story is for after the Tournament.

See ya at the Tourney and good Luck to all the Teams!
Nevertoomuchhockey

=D>

And good luck to SPU and each and every deserving player!
moose jaw

Post by moose jaw »

Don't these people know what 13 large gets you warroad real estate.
MinnGirlsHockey

Post by MinnGirlsHockey »

MinnGirlsHockey wrote:
Marty wrote:Did AA play any team in Section 4A this regular season ?
They beat Simley (7-1), Minnehaha (7-0), and SPU (7-1) during the regular season. Or do those all become 0-1 losses? Probably not the latter since the MSHSL didn't actually enforce any rules, AA just withdrew from post-season play.
Interesting....sometime today the folks who run the Girls Hockey Hub have changed all of the Achiever regular season games to 0-1 losses. And all stats in those games have been deleted for AA and its opponents. No regular season player stats exist on the Hub any more for Achiever's players. (For some reason, their first 2 section games still stand as-is - I'm guessing this is an oversight.)
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

I'm reading my twitter feed for the first time today and I see the Hub has reTweeted all the scores as 1-0. Seems like a bit much.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

wolfman wrote:I'm reading my twitter feed for the first time today and I see the Hub has reTweeted all the scores as 1-0. Seems like a bit much.
I guess then it's officially an 0-25 regular season, as they apparently are being forced to forfeit all of their games, which makes sense if they used ineligible players throughout the entire season. But if that's the case they might as well also make it officially an 0-3 Section Playoff season, just to be consistent, assuming those same ineligible players participated in all three of those sectional playoff games.

The one problem with making all of their games officially 0-1 losses is that the stats for the players on all of the opposing teams are also permanently wiped out, which may be good or bad depending on the outcome of the game and which players registered points, good save percentages, etc.
JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

It looks like the Warroad teams of 2003-2005 are going to have to forfeit all of their games because of an ineligible player - TJ Oshie. That's right. It's very public knowledge that Oshie moved to Warroad from Seattle as a sophomore for the sole purpose of playing hockey. Did his entire family up and relocate as required by MSHSL rules? Nope. His dad came with him. Mom and the rest of the family stayed in the family home in Seattle. I hope the MSHSL takes a serious look at this now and forfeits those state tournament championships in 2003 and 2005 because of Oshie's ineligibility.
JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Also, get ready for the brave new world because the grapevine has it the AA's new management is going to take on MN Hockey over Tier 1 in Minnesota. Gonna be fun to watch MN Hockey get its head served up on a platter on that one. It's about time.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

JustWinBaby wrote:It looks like the Warroad teams of 2003-2005 are going to have to forfeit all of their games because of an ineligible player - TJ Oshie.
Don't think so, JWB. The transfer/residency rules were not in place back then.